Gallia County basketball

BlizzardMan
S

Re: Gallia County basketball

Post by BlizzardMan »

hoopshothead wrote:4thandpine......dont forget the 2pt loss to Oak Hill......RV should have won that one as well.....FH at home and VC at home.....they were tied with SE at half and got outscored by 30 in 2nd half of that game.......that's 4 games that were winable.....IMO.......

Peake twice and Alex once......those would be the losses that I could expect at this point.......RV will still be a dangerous team down the stretch......

GO RAIDERS!!!!
VC is a game that they really were underdogs though. I say that one was expected as well.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

hoopshothead wrote:4thandpine......dont forget the 2pt loss to Oak Hill......RV should have won that one as well.....FH at home and VC at home.....they were tied with SE at half and got outscored by 30 in 2nd half of that game.......that's 4 games that were winable.....IMO.......

Peake twice and Alex once......those would be the losses that I could expect at this point.......RV will still be a dangerous team down the stretch......

GO RAIDERS!!!!
Not 100% sure that a 30 point game was winnable lol, there are 2 halves in basketball afterall.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

For RV's season to mean anything, they need to win a sectional title finishing above .500. Otherwise, it's just the same old mediocrity and nothing impressive.

Judge and Jury
Freshman Team

Post by Judge and Jury »

Yes due to soft scheduling anything short of sectional title will still result in the same ole same ole just painted a little prettier with some extra wins!

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

Yes of course danicali.......what was I thinking.....being tied at the half means you are still destine to lose......Im sorry for even considering that RV should have beat SE........excuse me please........but, they could beat SE, without a doubt......just like they could beat peake.......so.....what matters is the results not the fantasy.........and RV needs to be playing in the Convo for this to be a successful season.......?.........that would be the minimum goal each and every year.......best of luck to all the local teams this post season, and good luck to RV tonight at home vs. Wellston......I hope the coach has these players focused on tonight and not on Friday........we will see.......and blizza.........I am not so impressed with VC......their coach is their strongest asset.......average at best as far as talent goes....... :lol:

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

hoopshothead wrote:Yes of course danicali.......what was I thinking.....being tied at the half means you are still destine to lose......Im sorry for even considering that RV should have beat SE........excuse me please........but, they could beat SE, without a doubt......just like they could beat peake.......so.....what matters is the results not the fantasy.........and RV needs to be playing in the Convo for this to be a successful season.......?.........that would be the minimum goal each and every year.......best of luck to all the local teams this post season, and good luck to RV tonight at home vs. Wellston......I hope the coach has these players focused on tonight and not on Friday........we will see.......and blizza.........I am not so impressed with VC......their coach is their strongest asset.......average at best as far as talent goes....... :lol:
If this group can't win a sectional then the season doesn't mean much of anything. It's time for RV to start making meaningful achievements when they have capable teams. Otherwise, it's the same old thing. No where else is a 10-12 season a great accomplishment . RV should be no different. I do wish them luck and hope they do have success in the post-season.

seohhoops
Freshman Team

Post by seohhoops »

For a team that hasn't won 10 games the previous three seasons combined, I would say it is at the very least progress. Success is a term defined by those in the program I would think. While I think the end goal for all sports teams is championships, steps in a positive direction for RV is a good thing. I wish them all the best.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

seohhoops wrote:For a team that hasn't won 10 games the previous three seasons combined, I would say it is at the very least progress. Success is a term defined by those in the program I would think. While I think the end goal for all sports teams is championships, steps in a positive direction for RV is a good thing. I wish them all the best.
But a decent season every once in a whole sandwiched between 2/3 win seasons is not steps in the right direction. This group should be winning games. Get over that hump.

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

I have heard a lot of Gallipolis's problems start at the grade school level. They have some coaches that don't play half the kids. This discourages kids from playing that might end up being the better players when they get in high school. Some of these coaches don't realize it is not about them ot is about the ten to twelve year old kids. They are not going to win a state championship in fifth or sixth grade but you can discourage a kid they may be really good down the road from playing.

givengo
Waterboy

Post by givengo »

75% of all youth quit playing by age 13 because of not getting playing totime to early bloomers.
I personal know players who didn't start in first few yrs of high school who when on to be an All American in college.
He was a late bloomer.

Kids that could have been great never got the playing time to develop.

A 6'0 mature 13 year old may be good now, but the 5'9 skinny, uncoordinated kid that is going to be 6'9 may be the best in the future. The timid, smaller player with great decision-making skills loses playing time to the more aggressive, bigger player.

If these players don't get playing time now , how are they supposed to get better? If they don't play, they might QUIT!!

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Post by sportslifelove »

givengo wrote:75% of all youth quit playing by age 13 because of not getting playing totime to early bloomers.
I personal know players who didn't start in first few yrs of high school who when on to be an All American in college.
He was a late bloomer.

A 6'0 mature 13 year old may be good now, but the 5'9 skinny, uncoordinated kid that is going to be 6'9 may be the best in the future. The timid, smaller player with great decision-making skills loses playing time to the more aggressive, bigger player.

If these players don't get playing time now , how are they supposed to get better? If they don't play, they might QUIT!!

Riiiiiiiight..... Because everyday in Gallia County you walk past TONS of 6'9" young adults that could have played in the NBA but quit in the 3rd grade because of no playing time! LOL that was a classic.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

BBallin fool wrote:SG Will be strong !!! Come season end + with 6'7 just waiting !!! Unless at mid point they can't work with 6'7 THERE ???? Shine won't let that happen Good Coach!!! RV wow who is the Coach ??? There playing some good ball at this time should have a winning season !!! GA I still Don't know how in the hell you run 2 6'8 players off !!! OZ would of thought he was on the yellow brick road!!! lol 4-to 5 wins!!! JMO
Fool!
Who were the 6' 8" players that were at GA? Drenner might be 6' 5" Streeter might be 6' 6" neither is what I would call a polished HS player and both are Jr's? One thinks he's a guard and refuses to go play in the post the other just has not developed?
I think that 6' 7" that you talked about at SG is getting limited playing time!!

Folks, The problem in Gallia County with the basketball players is that they don't want to put the work and time in to become players, the parents want to make sure their kid plays and is not afraid to tell the coaches how good their kid is. I have always said that players are made in the driveway and courts over the summer or late at night just playing and learning the game. Kids don't do that nowadays! It's mot a secret as to why these 3 teams are bad to mediocre. How many of these kids go shoot for hours or play OYB or AAU in the spring? Don't blame the coaches blame the parents and the kids! How many of you parents have had the speech with your kids " son if your not going to get out there in the driveway and shoot or work on your game and you sit the bench, I'm not going to make a fool of my self getting on the coach because you stink? <<<< That is reality. No in Gallia county it's move the kid to another school where the opportunity is better, lol! Like moving your kid from RV to SG that is a lateral move and it didn't work out too well for some of us, lol!
Keep coddling the kids and allow them to play video games for hours, then go tell coach Johnnie should be starting because he's really good. Even though he hasn't picked up a basketball since last Feb.
No one can use the GA gym to have an OYB/AAU team! what is the gym for? The community, they paid for it. That is one reason the kids stink!

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

givengo wrote:75% of all youth quit playing by age 13 because of not getting playing totime to early bloomers.
He was a late bloomer.

That's a bunch of BS and excuses kids want to play or they don't.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

But it is so much easier for parents to blame others and teach their kids it is alright to quit something and move on to "greener pastures".
LOL!! How's that working out for some of ya!?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

If kids don't get to play, they may lose passion for the sport and won't want to play. While kids who play all the time may lose passion as well and then you're out a couple of players instead of just one.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

Never saw a kid without passion make a good player and they can be replaced easily, More excuses! If a kid has passion and is encouraged not many coaches will keep sitting him, Also a kid with passion who works will surpass the more talented kids and the ones without passion. Mr/Ms California your making excuses and it's sad!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Bevo wrote:Never saw a kid without passion make a good player and they can be replaced easily, More excuses! If a kid has passion and is encouraged not many coaches will keep sitting him, Also a kid with passion who works will surpass the more talented kids and the ones without passion. Mr/Ms California your making excuses and it's sad!
You're*

There's no rationalization here. But, how many of the current crop GA players got quality PT at the lower levels and how many that got quality PT are no longer part of the program?

npeifer
Freshman Team

Post by npeifer »

Bevo wrote:
BBallin fool wrote:SG Will be strong !!! Come season end + with 6'7 just waiting !!! Unless at mid point they can't work with 6'7 THERE ???? Shine won't let that happen Good Coach!!! RV wow who is the Coach ??? There playing some good ball at this time should have a winning season !!! GA I still Don't know how in the hell you run 2 6'8 players off !!! OZ would of thought he was on the yellow brick road!!! lol 4-to 5 wins!!! JMO
Fool!
Who were the 6' 8" players that were at GA? Drenner might be 6' 5" Streeter might be 6' 6" neither is what I would call a polished HS player and both are Jr's? One thinks he's a guard and refuses to go play in the post the other just has not developed?
I think that 6' 7" that you talked about at SG is getting limited playing time!!

Folks, The problem in Gallia County with the basketball players is that they don't want to put the work and time in to become players, the parents want to make sure their kid plays and is not afraid to tell the coaches how good their kid is. I have always said that players are made in the driveway and courts over the summer or late at night just playing and learning the game. Kids don't do that nowadays! It's mot a secret as to why these 3 teams are bad to mediocre. How many of these kids go shoot for hours or play OYB or AAU in the spring? Don't blame the coaches blame the parents and the kids! How many of you parents have had the speech with your kids " son if your not going to get out there in the driveway and shoot or work on your game and you sit the bench, I'm not going to make a fool of my self getting on the coach because you stink? <<<< That is reality. No in Gallia county it's move the kid to another school where the opportunity is better, lol! Like moving your kid from RV to SG that is a lateral move and it didn't work out too well for some of us, lol!
Keep coddling the kids and allow them to play video games for hours, then go tell coach Johnnie should be starting because he's really good. Even though he hasn't picked up a basketball since last Feb.
No one can use the GA gym to have an OYB/AAU team! what is the gym for? The community, they paid for it. That is one reason the kids stink!

Out of curiosity name an example of a kid that moved from RV to SG and it didn't work out to well?

I do agree with you that it is up to the individual player to have the desire to improve and put in the extra work required and many do not do it.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

there are a couple and it really hasn't made much of a difference in either team or the players career, if a kid can't fit in on a team of kids what's he gonna do in real life when everything don't go his way? Say hey mommy and daddy please come move me to another job because everything here isn't about me?
come on moving from RV to Sg who plays in Div Iv and a weak Div Iv at that. what is the point? There aren't any Division 1 College prospects in this county haven't been for sometime if ever!
The parents need to let the kids learn to deal with adversity a little, after all isn't this about lessons for real life?

Remember a Spoiled Kid is JUST THAT! Spoiled, there is a reason that are called spoiled! Look up spoiled in the dictionary! Not something I would want to call my kid!
I did it for you.

Spoiled> per Websters>
1. diminish or destroy the value or quality of.
2.harm the character of (a child) by being too lenient or indulgent.

Yep that's about it!

npeifer
Freshman Team

Post by npeifer »

Bevo wrote:there are a couple and it really hasn't made much of a difference in either team or the players career, if a kid can't fit in on a team of kids what's he gonna do in real life when everything don't go his way? Say hey mommy and daddy please come move me to another job because everything here isn't about me?
come on moving from RV to Sg who plays in Div Iv and a weak Div Iv at that. what is the point? There aren't any Division 1 College prospects in this county haven't been for sometime if ever!
The parents need to let the kids learn to deal with adversity a little, after all isn't this about lessons for real life?

Remember a Spoiled Kid is JUST THAT! Spoiled, there is a reason that are called spoiled! Look up spoiled in the dictionary! Not something I would want to call my kid!
I did it for you.

Spoiled> per Websters>
1. diminish or destroy the value or quality of.
2.harm the character of (a child) by being too lenient or indulgent.

Yep that's about it!

Since you didn't point to a specific example as was requested, I will assume you are skirting it for a reason...... But that's fine we have disagreed in the past so doesn't surprise me. Is D1 the ONLY level of college athletics? Let's not forget that SCHOOL is still involved here and that we do have athletes that are capable of playing at some level while getting assistance through sports and earning an education for their future. For example I could name a kid that made the exact move that you are discussing and has over a dozen schools asking him to play basketball at the next level. None of them D1,several D2s, MANY D3s
and one of theD3 happens to be the only undefeated D3 in the nation and ranked #3 nationally at the moment. All are offering help with paying for college so I would call that a "successfull situation" although you may disagree.... And just so we're clear this young man has NEVER been in trouble and is a 3.84 GPA student so please don't say that only sports matter to him....

Return to “Boys Basketball”