Re: Predictions for SOC I, II and OVC

Post by coop »

D4hero wrote:Oh my....
:-D :-D :-D

PullingGard
Waterboy

Post by PullingGard »

The SOC 2 should be Minford,wheelersburg, and Waverly going by good young groups, I could see Eastern,Western,East,Notre Dame(recruits) the next couple years in the SOC 1

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Minford should be the-too-early-to-call favorite in the SOCII. To me, it is their conference to lose this year with the returning players they have.

Manxious2
Riding the Bench

Post by Manxious2 »

SOC II:
Prediction as Minford (1st), then Wheelersburg (2nd)

OVC:
Portsmouth (1st), then South Point (2nd)..... (Chesapeake might compete for second)

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Minford should be the clear favorite in SOC II...........they have the most returnees, with Valley, Wheelersburg, and Oak Hill all having heavy graduation losses. Overall, the think for the first time in a long while that SOC II will have a down year.

osu
Freshman Team

Post by osu »

Oak hill lost 2 starters.6-6 sophomore played the started the last 5 games of season and played very well. Two very good ga starting gaurds returning they will be a team that can play with anyone in s.o.c

Dr_Know
Riding the Bench

Post by Dr_Know »

Minford should definitely be the favorite in SOC II but they will be tested. My Pirates will be solid and athletic enough to cause problems, but I still think they will struggle to score the basketball. Davis could be a nice surprise next year for the Orange and Black. The real sleeper in SOC II is Valley, if you can call a 3 time defending champ a sleeper. If I recall, Valley lost a successful senior class 3 years ago and flew in under the radar the next season to win a share of the league. Unfortunately, I can see the same thing happening again this year. They return 2 very good players (Rolfe & Brown) with big game Varsity experience and they add some athletic juniors who have been very successful in the past. If I am not mistaken, next year's junior class won the county in 7th-8th grade and have won a lot of JV games while losing Rolfe to Varsity for two years and the Howard boy most of last year.

West has some decent basketball players coming back but with their coaching situation and lack of emphasis on round ball, they will probably be in the middle of the pack. After seeing Oak Hill's JV last season and the players mentioned above, I really don't see them being a contender. SW improved this year, but will really miss Cook's ability to score. NW will be NW, and it could be really ugly if Scarberry leaves. Waverly is another team that could really open some eyes. Their JV was really impressive last year and the twins are also returning.

It could be a better year than some realize in SOC II.

My Predictions:

1. Minford
2. Valley
3. Waverly
4. Burg
5. West
6. SW
7. Oak Hill
8.NW

osu
Freshman Team

Post by osu »

7 th for oak hill.I agree jv wasn't pretty last year. With three returning starters and players on bench that will step in????. I'll be sure to keep this post handy to pull up once the season starts.

osu
Freshman Team

Post by osu »

By the way oak hill jv which all went to varsity last year ; Were 21-1 the year before.With the two guards starting varsity last year and the remainder not getting much playing time until this year

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I agree that this will be a down year for the SOCII. Too many big name graduated this year. Here is my early thoughts.

1. Minford - loaded
2-4. Valley,Burg, Oak Hill - too close to call between these 3
5. Waverly
6. NW - still having Scarberry will let them surprise some people
7. West - Without Hafer will have no inside presence at all
8.SW - Lost their only real scorer, will take a year to recover

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

I feel like this will be the most balanced the SOC II has been top to bottom in years. I see no team being absolutely out of their league while facing a conference foe. Obviously I feel Minford will be the favorite, but would not be surprised if teams like SW and NW will be within 12 points or so and in games with the top 3 consistently. As for West, I think their guard play will be good enough to keep them in most games with Davis running the point.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

1. Minford
2. Valley
3. Burg
4. Oak hill
5. Waverly
6. South Webster
7. West
8. Northwest

Still think this is a down year and that Minford is the favorite by far. Guess we'll see though*

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Eastern should win it again barring injuries. Western has 9-10 seniors maybe this year it comes together.

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

I'm with you lightle04, Eastern and Western are still ahead of most other SOC 1 teams, but Notre Dame might have some say in their place with possible transfers coming. Clay will never go very far under Betton, he can't coach to win the close games. The Panthers will need the talented (remaining) Sophomores to step up to be able to make a showing, and they are able, just hope the coach lets them play instead of controlling them.

Dr_Know
Riding the Bench

Post by Dr_Know »

I wouldn't forget East in SOC I. They were competitive last season and return the majority of their team. The Gerald boy, if he still plays, is tough match up for anyone in the conference and Brown seemed to get better as the year went on. Not only that, but East's homecourt advantage seems to be the best around. Eastern is the team to beat, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tartans contending at years end.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Transfers coming to Notre Dame? That's definitely the first time I've heard that. In fact,
I've heard a certain player is looking to get out of Notre Dame.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Bbjunky: interesting...would make sense if true. Basketball at Notre Dame always going to be an afterthought to football.*

gahsfan
Waterboy

Post by gahsfan »

Obviously not part of the ND community because basketball is certainly not an afterthought anymore!

scotisaac
Waterboy

Post by scotisaac »

8 Seniors, 3 Juniors, 3 Sophmores for Western this year. Pretty experienced team, and could be at the top of SOC 1 if they can pull together this season.

rachel1219
Waterboy

Post by rachel1219 »

Anyone know what the OVC teams bring back this year? Not much being said about this conference.

Return to “Boys Basketball”