DII Logan Sectional

bman
SEO

Re: DII Logan Sectional

Post by bman »

Logan Elm has a two-game advantage in record over both Warren and Athens. Warren played Watterson and Park, but Logan Elm played three solid teams in Florida. One is 17-3 and another is 12-6. The other is 10-10 but plays a SVSM style schedule. Athens also played in the same tournament, and also played SVSM in a separate non-league game. So basically it comes down to Warren played Watterson and Athens played SVSM. Fine, let's add a loss to LE's record to compare between the two schools. They still have a better record and your SOS argument is now mute. Logan Elm deserves the No. 1 seed. Part of the reason why everyone wants to play Logan Elm is folks don't get to see them.

As for LE-Circleville, that's a rivalry game. I wasn't too impressed by Athens' margin of victory over a mediocre D3 Nelsonville team, leading by nine going into the fourth, but I understand it's a rivalry. Typically the underdog plays up.

Bloom-Carroll, which LE beat handily, beat Hartley by 11.

Cornhusker
Waterboy

Post by Cornhusker »

WarriorBlue wrote: Looks like LE fans are wanting to run away from Warren/Athens.
And it also looks like Warren/Athens fans are wanting to run away from each other.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

WarriorBlue, maybe Circleville should come on over to the Logan sectional and be the No. 1 seed. They defeated South Point, which defeated Portsmouth by 15, which won the Florida tournament bracket it was in. I think we're all undervaluing the Tigers. :122249
Last edited by bman on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

At the end of the day I see the district champ losing to Watterson.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Cornhusker wrote:
WarriorBlue wrote: Looks like LE fans are wanting to run away from Warren/Athens.
And it also looks like Warren/Athens fans are wanting to run away from each other.
Warren or Athens run from nobody. Remember they are the 2 teams that went out and scheduled the very teams that played in the DII State Finals last season and who returned their teams mostly intact. We see it every year in the NCAA selections. A team will schedule a great record and have little in the way of quality wins then their fans are upset with their seeding. That's what'll happen tomorrow.

My predictions

DII Logan Sectional

1. Warren Local
2. Athens
3. Logan Elm
4. Sheridan
5. Vinton County
6. Marietta
7. Meigs
8. Fairfield Union
9. New Lex

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

WarriorBlue wrote:
Cornhusker wrote:
Warren or Athens run from nobody. Remember they are the 2 teams that went out and scheduled the very teams that played in the DII State Finals last season and who returned their teams mostly intact. We see it every year in the NCAA selections. A team will schedule a great record and have little in the way of quality wins then their fans are upset with their seeding. That's what'll happen tomorrow.

My predictions

DII Logan Sectional

1. Warren Local
2. Athens
3. Logan Elm
4. Sheridan
5. Vinton County
6. Marietta
7. Meigs (8-7)
8. Fairfield Union
9. New Lex
If that happens it's a complete joke. Logan Elm has the only win between the three. You're acting like losing one 24-point game gives you the No. 1 seed. Dream on. If Warren was reasonably close to Watterson, like Athens was to SVSM, I may give it a little more credit, but I think LE is plenty capable of losing to Watterson by 24 points.

As I said, if you want a straight up comparison, we can add one more loss to LE's record and they still have a better record than Warren or Athens, with just as demanding of a schedule or even more. Your argument holds no water.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

thill2010 wrote:Logan Elm also has a quality win over Chillicothe and WCH
How can WCH be a quality win when you beat them by 30?
How can WCH be a quality win when they lost to Circleville by 12?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Bulldog wrote:
How can Portsmouth be a quality win when they lost to South Point by 15? We can play these games all day.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Thanks for making my point. Add Watterson, Wheeling Park, Valley, Portsmouth 2x, FCA2x, and LE has much more than 1loss

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:
How can Portsmouth be a quality win when they lost to South Point by 15? We can play these games all day.

Warren didn't beat Portsmouth by 30 ... they split and both games were close, which tells me Portsmouth must be a pretty darn good team ... not to mention they won the very bracket Logan Elm was in down in Florida.

if Warren beat Portsmouth by 30 I would probably take them off the 'quality win' list ... a 30-point win is not a 'quality win' in my book ... even if it was misleading, to follow it up with a loss to Circleville sealed my perception of the Blue Lions.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

At this point I hope Warren does play LE just to hear Bman excuses as to why the got the shaft lol
In reality it's all in fun no disrespect intended

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

The record of the opponents FCA has beaten is almost 50 games below .500! FCA's best win is over Berne Union, which struggled to beat seventh-place Amanda out of that MSL-Buckeye that Athens and Warren fans are working overtime to sell as weak when five of the teams have at least 11 wins.

We've negated Park with LE's Florida trip that includes three pretty good teams. Portsmouth and Valley are good wins but so are Bloom-Carroll and WCH. Warren could lose to Bloom-Carroll or WCH if you want to play these what if games.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Bulldog wrote:Warren didn't beat Portsmouth by 30 ... they split and both games were close, which tells me Portsmouth must be a pretty darn good team ... not to mention they won the very bracket Logan Elm was in down in Florida.

if Warren beat Portsmouth by 30 I would probably take them off the 'quality win' list ... a 30-point win is not a 'quality win' in my book ... even if it was misleading, to follow it up with a loss to Circleville sealed my perception of the Blue Lions.
So Warren's wins over FCA and FF aren't quality because they blew them out, with adding to the fact that neither team has a quality win? Thanks for clearing that up.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

WarriorBlue, Logan Elm could easily lose to both and they could beat both. I've never claimed Logan Elm is high and mighty and above Athens or Warren. It's Athens and Warren fans who have been doing that to LE. I've been defending LE, with facts, against unreasonable attacks.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Now if we are all done with grasping for straws, how about Warren and Athens join LE in pushing for an open draw for the entire district. LE has made this proposal in the past and received little support. I'm not sure what is the opinion of either of those schools, but I hope they are in the open draw camp.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

My responses only stemmed from posts that said "there should be no doubt Logan Elm is the 1" ... "Logan Elm deserves the #1" ... etc ... etc ...

my points were to say "hey, Warren has every right to the 1 as LE"

I don't think they were unreasonable attacks, bman

Just stating a case is all.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Dog, I'm not sure why Logan Elm claims to being No. 1 are a stretch, when they have two fewer losses and Warren's claim comes down to, well we played Watterson. I believe I've been fair in regards to both Warren playing Watterson and Athens playing SVSM and saying let's add another loss to LE's record. That seems to be a fair way to better measure the teams. The quality wins are similar and LE still has a better record, with the SOS being muted.

When I see LE ranked third, with a head-to-head win over Athens, that is a little silly. I can see an understanding that it was early for Athens, but it's still a win that should garner LE some currency.

I can say Portsmouth lost to Point by 15, could only beat a mediocre Logan by eight so why are we making a big deal. To me, when folks downgrade Portsmouth or FCA or FF or WCH or Circleville we are grasping for straws. We've all done it. Instead of singing the praises of having some strong teams, we are blasting all of them.

If I offended you I apologize, but these attacks on Logan Elm's perceived lack of SOS are a little ridiculous and are getting old.
Last edited by bman on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I'd also add after all this crap about Logan this year and in years past about good teams from Jackson not getting out because of this prehistoric sectional format, it's time for there to be a significant push for an open draw for the entire district. If Warren or Athens want to line themselves up against LE in an open draw for the district, I have zero problem with it. Super sectionals really don't fix much. It's putting a thumbtack into a dam break and expecting it to do something.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

To be honest, my whole argument is mainly based on a feeling. I've watched both teams play and I feel Warren is a little better. Heck, Warren may be a little better than Athens. They do everything Logan Elm does except they have a 6'6 guy in the middle throwing it down left and right, they have a 6'3 forward who can absolutely shoot the lights out - and I still think Reece Patton is the most underrated player in the district. There is a reason they were in the final four last year and Logan Elm was ousted in the district semi-finals - it's because Warren was the better team. Warren was better than all of us last year and they are just as good this year.

They have the resume to contend for the 1 and I think they are the better team. I mean, I'm not trying to degrade Logan Elm or attack them - it's just how I feel about the two. Even Pfloyd has seen all three teams, more than anyone actually, and he is saying the same thing. He's really the only guy out of any of us who has a true unbiased opinion.

I've been throwing out records, SOS, just for fun and to give us all something to post about ... but it really just comes down to who I think is better as to why I've been supporting Warren.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Logan Elm is a different team than last year. Dillon Young and Logan Thompson have made significant steps as players, especially Young. Warren is also a different team, but Warren is still a pretty good team. I have a lot of respect for what Coach Maddox has done down there and how Warren is a consistent player in the district. I was happy to see them finally get a district title after so many heartbreakers, including one a few years ago to LE in the district final.

If this was last year's Logan Elm team coming in with a 17-1 record, I would say they do not deserve the one. Last night's win over Circleville kind of shows that. If Young had such a tough start to a game like that last year, LE gets blown out. LE rebounded last night to win by 18 points. Thompson kind of carried LE there in the first half, along with some contributions from Congrove and Tyler, show the growth.
Last edited by bman on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”