Points to Ponder I

Manxious2
Riding the Bench

Points to Ponder I

Post by Manxious2 »

I thought I would throw some discussion points out here to get some fire going. Here goes:

Its time to bite the bullet, or do the right thing, (whatever fits here) and realign the SOC. This can simply be done by inviting Portsmouth in the SOC II and moving South Webster into the SOC I where they would compete more with other Division IV teams. I'm not really sure what the deal is about Portsmouth not being brought into the Conference although I can imagine it's the same reason that Ironton won't join, or won't be allowed to join the OVC. It's a no brainer in the larger scheme of things. The SOC would just get stronger in the long run, and the OVC needs to add some strength to a conference that is awfully weak in quality and numbers.
NOTE: I wouldn't mind seeing the OVC try to get Gallipolis added to the Conference as well, and, if the SOC doesn't want Portsmouth then the OVC should invite them also. It's called competition enhancement

Lightle04
SE

Re: Points to Ponder I

Post by Lightle04 »

What exactly does Potsmouth bring to the table the league needs they draw a terrible gate for sports ?

art_vandelay
SE

Re: Points to Ponder I

Post by art_vandelay »

If I recall correctly, it would take a unanimous vote for Portsmouth to be admitted into SOC. Seriously doubt South Webster would vote for Portsmouth to be admitted if it meant that SW would be sent to SOC I as they would be giving up the better competition (a competitive advantage Webster enjoys once the D4 tourney starts even if it does cost them regular season wins/championships) and larger gates that SOC II schools bring. After pondering this point as a Webster fan, thanks, but no thanks.

Don't mistake this as me thinking Portsmouth shouldn't be in SOC...I believe they should be as most county schools are already playing them in basketball, football or baseball. If Portsmouth is voted in alone however, there would be an odd number of teams in the divisions (8 in SOC I, 9 in SOC II), so I don't think anybody would have to be moved. But if so, Northwest would make more sense as they have already moved their football to SOC I.*

Return to “Boys Basketball”