U
A
WF
ZT
SE
P
PV
H

2015-2016 Basketball Pick 'Em Champion while picking correctly 81% of the time.
bman
SEO

Re: SVC Predictions

Post by bman »

danicalifornia wrote:My official predictions factoring in injuries and the preseason.

1. Unioto
2. Westfall
3. Adena
4. Southeastern
5. Piketon
6. Zane Trace
7. Huntington
8. Paint Valley

Also, there will be a shocking POY. Not sure if we'll get more than one 1,000 point scorer either (McFadden) although, Wyman and Hosley will get in the general range of it.

Should be an interesting and fun winter
I'll probably get schooled by the SVC expert, but here goes:

1. Unioto
2. Adena
3. Westfall
4. Zane Trace
5. Southeastern
6. Piketon
7. Paint Valley
8. Huntington

hoopsfan#1
Waterboy

Post by hoopsfan#1 »

I'm predicting a 2 loss champion, possibly at tie at the top.

1a. Unioto
1b. Adena
1c. Westfall
4. Zane Trace
5. SE
6. Pike ton
7. PV
8. Huntington

I see the top 3 teams knocking each other off at various times in the year.

POY candidates:

Cottrill
Thomas
Hall
Mink
Mowery
Swingle

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bman wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:My official predictions factoring in injuries and the preseason.

1. Unioto
2. Westfall
3. Adena
4. Southeastern
5. Piketon
6. Zane Trace
7. Huntington
8. Paint Valley

Also, there will be a shocking POY. Not sure if we'll get more than one 1,000 point scorer either (McFadden) although, Wyman and Hosley will get in the general range of it.

Should be an interesting and fun winter
I'll probably get schooled by the SVC expert, but here goes:

1. Unioto
2. Adena
3. Westfall
4. Zane Trace
5. Southeastern
6. Piketon
7. Paint Valley
8. Huntington
I'd be willing to guess that yours will be more correct than mine. I didn't know Davidson was able to play now for ZT and I'm likely putting too much emphasis on injuries on some of my picks.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Let's just say that I would be making some changes to mine if I could go back and do it. A healthy Mowery would definitely move ZT up a good bit

UKNate
Freshman Team

Post by UKNate »

Could be a long year for the Streaks.

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

Zane Trace should end up in the top three in the SVC this winter.

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

First night in the books! So far no surprises from what I saw. Piketon plays very hard but needs to find more offence to be competitive. Adena was handled by a Circleville team who looked better than I expected. Zane Trace played a very down Berne Union team so it's hard to tell what to think. Still think they are middle of the pack. Injuries are an issue. Clear they are not healthy. Excited to see Unioto Saturday. SE plays a very tough WCH team. Huntington against New Hope should be a good one.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

danicalifornia wrote:Let's just say that I would be making some changes to mine if I could go back and do it. A healthy Mowery would definitely move ZT up a good bit
I would move some people around, as well, after watching yesterday's games. Should be a fun year in the conference.

Svcsportsfan
Waterboy

Post by Svcsportsfan »

Haven't heard much from Huntington. Who's there starting 5?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Lost tonight in overtime to New Hope Christian out of Circleville.

Starters will likely be: Nelson, Viney, Smith, McCloskey and unsure about the 5th. One thing for sure, they will be well coached and play hard. They will be better this season and should be back towards the top half next season.

Svcsportsfan
Waterboy

Post by Svcsportsfan »

What about number 1. Seen him on JV last year looked like a pretty solid shooter. Hope they come together like they did in junior high. I believe this junior class went undefeated in junior high. Not for sure though.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Svcsportsfan wrote:What about number 1. Seen him on JV last year looked like a pretty solid shooter. Hope they come together like they did in junior high. I believe this junior class went undefeated in junior high. Not for sure though.
Yeah, no. Westfall dominated the JH ranks besides Adena knocking them off in the 8th grade title game. Huntington hasn't made it past the first round in JH in the past 5 years. Not that that truly matters or anything though.

Svcsportsfan
Waterboy

Post by Svcsportsfan »

It doesn't matter. Just trying to get feel for the young talent around

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Here comes the STREAKS! Look for us to mix it up a little, maybe pull an upset or two.

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

svc_guy wrote:Point Guard - Wyman - 15.1 ppg 4.4 assist(led svc), - Swackhammer - very nice guard but I think his distribution skills will be more valuable to his team. Avantage: Wyman

Shooting Guard - Mink - 12.1 points per game - Branden Kennedy - New starter(sophomore) - I really like the Kennedy kid but to think he will be more productive in this matchup against a senior would be too much to ask. Advantage - Mink

Small Forward - Chase Anderson - 14.4 ppg - Cotrill(U) - Not sure on his points per game but not listed in top 15. I am guessing around 10ppg. Cole is a great leaper who can hit the 3. Chase can fill it up from three but also play inside as well. I think these two will neutralize each other. Advantage - Neither.

Power Forward - Chase Adams - 7PPG - Eriq Hosley - I Believe about the same. I am not saying these two will guard each other but in terms of production I give the nod to Hosley for his defensive ability to alter shots and protect the paint. Offensively in terms of points I would say its a wash.

Center - Mason Peart - Around 6PPG I believe. Issac Wheeler - Not listed in top 15 but I am guessing around 11-12 ppg. Clear advantage to Wheeler on this one. Like his game. I will say I seen Peart play recently and he has really come along and will surprise some people.

Bench: WF - Jude, Wilson, Nunemaker, Trueman - Westfall is 4 deep this year which will really help against better teams. All will provide production.
Bench - Unioto - Lovely, Edler, Hill(sits out half year), Another Junior big man...sorry I cant remember his name.
- Both of these benches are worthy and can provide ample minutes when needed. I see no clear advantage here.

Summary: This matchup is about the numbers. Will the production of the guards from Westfall be better than the Bigs from Unioto. If you look at it on paper, its clear WF can matchup just find. The problem some are having right now is accepting that WF can be very good and Unioto might not be as good as last year. I have seen both teams and the eye test tells me this will be a great matchup. But, as they say, that's why you play the game!
You just compared Cottrill to Anderson?
I'll take Unioto by 20+ both games.

Karl
Waterboy

Post by Karl »

winningaintcheap wrote:
svc_guy wrote:Point Guard - Wyman - 15.1 ppg 4.4 assist(led svc), - Swackhammer - very nice guard but I think his distribution skills will be more valuable to his team. Avantage: Wyman

Shooting Guard - Mink - 12.1 points per game - Branden Kennedy - New starter(sophomore) - I really like the Kennedy kid but to think he will be more productive in this matchup against a senior would be too much to ask. Advantage - Mink

Small Forward - Chase Anderson - 14.4 ppg - Cotrill(U) - Not sure on his points per game but not listed in top 15. I am guessing around 10ppg. Cole is a great leaper who can hit the 3. Chase can fill it up from three but also play inside as well. I think these two will neutralize each other. Advantage - Neither.

Power Forward - Chase Adams - 7PPG - Eriq Hosley - I Believe about the same. I am not saying these two will guard each other but in terms of production I give the nod to Hosley for his defensive ability to alter shots and protect the paint. Offensively in terms of points I would say its a wash.

Center - Mason Peart - Around 6PPG I believe. Issac Wheeler - Not listed in top 15 but I am guessing around 11-12 ppg. Clear advantage to Wheeler on this one. Like his game. I will say I seen Peart play recently and he has really come along and will surprise some people.

Bench: WF - Jude, Wilson, Nunemaker, Trueman - Westfall is 4 deep this year which will really help against better teams. All will provide production.
Bench - Unioto - Lovely, Edler, Hill(sits out half year), Another Junior big man...sorry I cant remember his name.
- Both of these benches are worthy and can provide ample minutes when needed. I see no clear advantage here.

Summary: This matchup is about the numbers. Will the production of the guards from Westfall be better than the Bigs from Unioto. If you look at it on paper, its clear WF can matchup just find. The problem some are having right now is accepting that WF can be very good and Unioto might not be as good as last year. I have seen both teams and the eye test tells me this will be a great matchup. But, as they say, that's why you play the game!
Keep in mind winningaintcheap, Anderson broke Westfall's school record with 9 three's in a single game last year against Paint Valley. 7 of them within a 3 minute span. He can shoot it just as well as Cottrill and yes Cottrill may have the jumping ability, but strength and attitude goes to Anderson!

Closer game then you may know! I would still give it to Unioto, until Westfall proves themselves this year.

hoopsfan#1
Waterboy

Post by hoopsfan#1 »

Karl wrote:
winningaintcheap wrote:

Keep in mind winningaintcheap, Anderson broke Westfall's school record with 9 three's in a single game last year against Paint Valley. 7 of them within a 3 minute span. He can shoot it just as well as Cottrill and yes Cottrill may have the jumping ability, but strength and attitude goes to Anderson!

Closer game then you may know! I would still give it to Unioto, until Westfall proves themselves this year.
Believe me, I'm not bad mouthing the Anderson kid; very good kid and decent player. But, to compare to Cottrill is unfair to Cottrill!!! IMO! Not even close!

Return to “Boys Basketball”