Waterboy

Re: SVC Predictions

Post by Karl »

hoopsfan#1 wrote:
Karl wrote:
winningaintcheap wrote:
You just compared Cottrill to Anderson?
I'll take Unioto by 20+ both games.
Keep in mind winningaintcheap, Anderson broke Westfall's school record with 9 three's in a single game last year against Paint Valley. 7 of them within a 3 minute span. He can shoot it just as well as Cottrill and yes Cottrill may have the jumping ability, but strength and attitude goes to Anderson!

Closer game then you may know! I would still give it to Unioto, until Westfall proves themselves this year.
Believe me, I'm not bad mouthing the Anderson kid; very good kid and decent player. But, to compare to Cottrill is unfair to Cottrill!!! IMO! Not even close!
Well that is why we play the games!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Not making any comparisons, but Cole averaged 10ppg last year on 6 shots a game and shot 47% from 3. He's the most efficient guard I've seen in HS basketball. He had 20 pts on 9 shots in their opener without shooting a single FT.

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

Let me be clear about what I was comparing from my previous post. I said I was looking at the numbers and the ENTIRE teams against each other. Its not to say I think Anderson is better or worse, but to say I think in a game between the 2 teams, both kids will produce. I did not even say Westfall would win the game....just that they can matchup. Should be fun to watch both of these teams.

On another note....I want to say good luck to all of the SVC teams as they kickoff the league tonight. There are a lot of great kids in this league should be fun to watch!

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

First night in the books.....my thoughts...
- Westfall is for real. Played a Huntington team struggling for identity but did what they are supposed to do. Wyman showed why he will be in mix for player of the year. 32 points on 13-17 shooting including 4 threes. 9 players scored in the win including 17 for Mink as well.

-Unioto seems to always find different ways to win each week. Sign of a good team as they can beat you in a lot of different ways. Another great night for Hosley as he dominated inside. Bench stepped up as Cottril did not score much. With a deep team like they have they can re-invent themselves every night.

-Adena - Found their stride in the second half. Hall played well with a double-double, Preston kid stepped up to provide some scoring, Thomas had a good night on the scoreboard. Still early and think they are working on players and roles. WIll be interesting to see how they come together.

Paint Valley - They had to grind out a win against Piketon. Swingle had a nice game again. Scoring was just enough to get the win but they will need more production to compete with the top half.

Tomorrow night should be some good matchups. Good luck to all the teams!

hoopsfan#1
Waterboy

Post by hoopsfan#1 »

svc_guy wrote:First night in the books.....my thoughts...
- Westfall is for real. Played a Huntington team struggling for identity but did what they are supposed to do. Wyman showed why he will be in mix for player of the year. 32 points on 13-17 shooting including 4 threes. 9 players scored in the win including 17 for Mink as well.

-Unioto seems to always find different ways to win each week. Sign of a good team as they can beat you in a lot of different ways. Another great night for Hosley as he dominated inside. Bench stepped up as Cottril did not score much. With a deep team like they have they can re-invent themselves every night.

-Adena - Found their stride in the second half. Hall played well with a double-double, Preston kid stepped up to provide some scoring, Thomas had a good night on the scoreboard. Still early and think they are working on players and roles. WIll be interesting to see how they come together.

Paint Valley - They had to grind out a win against Piketon. Swingle had a nice game again. Scoring was just enough to get the win but they will need more production to compete with the top half.

Tomorrow night should be some good matchups. Good luck to all the teams!

About all you can say about Unioto is WOW! They can hit you from about 10 different directions, with about 10 different players!!! Hosely is a beast!!! Teams will need to be on top of their game to have any success against them.

Westfall is real! Guard play is exceptional. Anxious to see what the rest of the team does when guards are having off night. It will happen!

Adena will be in the mix. Hall and Thomas create a lot of issues for teams especially if the role players hit shots like the did last night. Look for them to get better as the role players gain more confidence!

SE has work to do, actually the game with Adena was not as close as the score. Adena pulled starters and SE left theirs in the close the gap.

Huntington is young but dangerous!

Piketon and SE about the same, they have work to do.

PV has a giant inside and if he stays out of foul trouble will be difficult for anyone.

Hard to gauge ZT without Mowery in the line up. He poses so many problems for any team, but without him the rest of the team will have difficulty scoring points. They need to hope their defense keeps them in games until he returns.

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

First league weekend in the books...here we go...

Unioto - First league weekend in the books. Shermans took care of business against Zane Trace and Huntington. Kennedy kid shot the ball well. Hosley played well all weekend. No real surprises here. Like all the teams, they will get better as the year progresses.

Adena - Beat Southeastern on Friday in a tough game. Southeastern is better than their record indicates as they have play 3 tough teams very well. From what I hear Hall played very well in the win and Thomas got his normal "quiet" 17 points in the game. Saturday beat Piketon by 16. Think their upside potential still hangs on how the young role players will do. Nice weekend for Adena.

Westfall - Hard to imagine a better start for the Mustangs. Came out on all cylinders Friday against a hard playing Huntington team. Shot the ball very well. played all 10 players and 9 scored. Saturday was more of a test as they went to Southeastern in a tough road battle. Southeastern played very well into half. The Mustangs pressure and scoring took over midway through the 3rd as they cruised to a 16 point win. Wyman was sensational in both games scoring 32 and 27. Mink and Adams posted big games this weekend.

Southeastern - IMO, the next best team behind these 3, they have great scoring with their guards and play very fundamental basketball. They had toughest schedule in their first 3 games so don't sleep on the Panthers.

Zane Trace - Just overmatched in the Unioto game, came back on Saturday with nice win against Paint Valley. Pillow and Gibson stepped up with much needed scoring support. Should get better as the year goes on and Pierce returns to action.

Paint Valley - Big man posted nice numbers as they beat Piketon on Friday. Saturday lost to Zane Trace. This team will play hard... just need some scoring support to help out the Swingle.

Piketon - Lost a tough game to Paint Valley and then to Adena. Team scoring seems to be improving as I see more kids getting involved there. Look for more improvement as the year goes on.

Huntington - Plays extremely hard every night. A lot of kids learning the level it takes to play Varsity basketball. I think they have a tremendous coach and I am sure they will improve as the year goes on .

POY Watch -
Corey Wyman - Was dominant in both wins this weekend. 29.5 ppg, 5 rebounds per game , 4 assist per game. He is at the top IMO based on the early season.
Eric Hosley - 10.5 PPG, 12 rebounds per game in 2 games. Great rim protector who played very well this weekend.
Brian Hall - 22ppg, 12.5 rebounds per game this weekend. Came up big for Adena this weekend.

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

Latest SVC Basketball Talk on SVCsportszone.com . . . http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... talk120715

WhiskeyTwoFive
Riding the Bench

Post by WhiskeyTwoFive »

How long is Mowery supposed to be out?

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

I believe he will be back around January 1.

WhiskeyTwoFive
Riding the Bench

Post by WhiskeyTwoFive »

man..that sucks. he had a legitimate shot at being the all time scoring leader in the SVC. one of the best shooters to come through the SVC thats for sure

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Adena 70
Westfall 51

Unioto 68
Piketon 36

Southeastern 57
Paint Valley 49
Overtime

Zane Trace 65
Huntington 50

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto 72
Adena 51

Piketon 47
Zane Trace 46

Southeastern 41
Huntington 40

Westfall 68
Paint Valley 49

After 4 games:
Unioto 4-0, 5-0
Adena 3-1, 3-2
Westfall 3-1, 3-1
Southeastern 2-2, 2-3
Zane Trace 2-2, 3-2
Paint Valley 1-3, 1-4
Piketon 1-3, 1-4
Huntington 0-4, 0-6

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

SVC Basketball Topics on SVC Sports Talk . . . http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... talk121415

FannyPack
Freshman Team

Post by FannyPack »

Good show this week. I really like the bit about the profanity but can't bring more to the topic because you covered it.

Ugly games tonight, none within 15 if teams play up to their potential and guard someone *looking toward Williamsport*

2015-2016 Basketball Pick 'Em Champion while picking correctly 81% of the time.
nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

Looks like Mowery may play earlier than expected with a brace.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

FannyPack wrote: Ugly games tonight, none within 15 if teams play up to their potential and guard someone *looking toward Williamsport*
Exactly what have you seen from Southeastern that tells you they are 15 points better than Piketon?

FannyPack
Freshman Team

Post by FannyPack »

king kong wrote:
FannyPack wrote: Ugly games tonight, none within 15 if teams play up to their potential and guard someone *looking toward Williamsport*
Exactly what have you seen from Southeastern that tells you they are 15 points better than Piketon?
These eyes did not see them lose to Amanda Clearcreek. Thus, Panthers shall achieve victory by no less than 15 points!

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

FannyPack wrote:
king kong wrote:
These eyes did not see them lose to Amanda Clearcreek. Thus, Panthers shall achieve victory by no less than 15 points!
Better get those eyes checked, Piketon was only down 2 in the 4th quarter before SE sealed it on the FT line with a 5 point win.

FannyPack
Freshman Team

Post by FannyPack »

king kong wrote:
FannyPack wrote:
king kong wrote:
Better get those eyes checked, Piketon was only down 2 in the 4th quarter before SE sealed it on the FT line with a 5 point win.
These eyes did not deceive me! I witnessed Piketon lose to a very lowly Amanda Clearcreek team who starts 4 freshman/sophomores and will not win another match that is set before them this season!

My prediction may have been off, but alas, I do not understand a celebration of a game that hath been lost!

A new prediction shall be cast! An instant classic will occur on Friday evening! The Hustling Huntsmen of Huntington Township will vanquish the Redstreaks of the village of Pike-ton, 24-23!

Really though, Piketon should beat Huntington handily on Friday.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

I take no glory in a loss but I will call BS from someone who spouts off! Lol

Return to “Boys Basketball”