SEOP

Re: gallia Academy basketball 2017-2018

Post by Geronimo »

How many players out this season ?

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

How did The Blue Devils look in the scrimmage yesterday?

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

The Blue Devils looked ok last night in their scrimmage against Belpre. They started out a little sluggish but got better each quarter. Loveday and Wiseman I thought looked the best they both played really well. I thought the players who just came out of football McCelland, Call, and the Henry boy played ok all three scored and did some good things ,but there was still a little rust from not being in basketball shape yet they will get there in about another week. Thomas and Peck didn't play because Thomas had a broken nose and Peck had been sick and missed 2 practices. Overall though I think were in for an exciting season this team has size, quickness and a lot of depth. Harrison and Walker hit a few three's and Blouir and Carter did some good things.

River runner
Waterboy

Post by River runner »

Looked good for first scrimmage. They can get fast quick with four guards on the court with Loveday and I think will be able to force the tempo. Wiseman looked really good and finishes around the basket well I know it was just a first scrimmage but it appears Zach looking to score more this year. Henry filled in for Peck well Thought everyone played pretty well.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

:!: Good to hear :!:

River runner
Waterboy

Post by River runner »

Real nice scrimmage against a pretty good Alexander team
The Blue Devils started out with McCellend Call Henry Wiseman and Loveday. They seem to be really playing well together. They all handle the ball real well. The football guys I thought got their basketball legs under them now and looked even better than last week. Plenty of good bench play by all. Come out and watch this team they are fun to watch.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

River runner wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:44 am Real nice scrimmage against a pretty good Alexander team
The Blue Devils started out with McCellend Call Henry Wiseman and Loveday. They seem to be really playing well together. They all handle the ball real well. The football guys I thought got their basketball legs under them now and looked even better than last week. Plenty of good bench play by all. Come out and watch this team they are fun to watch.
Whats going on with Peck??

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

VisionQuest wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:59 am
River runner wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:44 am Real nice scrimmage against a pretty good Alexander team
Last I heard was that he was moving to Florida, then he was not going to Florida, then playing basketball, then walking out of conditioning, then walked out of a scrimmage because he wasn't playing, now I hear he is back and actually showing up to practice. Shame when a kid with a ton of talent and potential lets it go to waste. His attitude on and off the court will need a major change if he is going to help the Blue Devils this year.

I will disclaim that this is second-hand information. But the source is an extremely reliable person that is invested in the GA community and school.

SEO Sports
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO Sports »

Gallia Academy should have a very good season. This team is very talented and should be near the top of the OVC. However, being in the OVC Fairland is still king of the hill. Gallia Academy would have to upset yes, upset Fairland to have a chance to win the league. However, with progression that can come this year, I see them winning a sectional and making a trip to the Convo. All this means nothing this early in the year and games have to be played. Should be a fun year for those French City Devils

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Fonzie wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:07 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:59 am
Last I heard was that he was moving to Florida, then he was not going to Florida, then playing basketball, then walking out of conditioning, then walked out of a scrimmage because he wasn't playing, now I hear he is back and actually showing up to practice. Shame when a kid with a ton of talent and potential lets it go to waste. His attitude on and off the court will need a major change if he is going to help the Blue Devils this year.

I will disclaim that this is second-hand information. But the source is an extremely reliable person that is invested in the GA community and school.
Hopefully he gets his Act together if this is True. Helps to have a good attitude and good work ethic to make the Starting rotation in any sport.

Steegal
Freshman Team

Post by Steegal »

SEO Sports wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:21 pm Gallia Academy should have a very good season. This team is very talented and should be near the top of the OVC. However, being in the OVC Fairland is still king of the hill. Gallia Academy would have to upset yes, upset Fairland to have a chance to win the league. However, with progression that can come this year, I see them winning a sectional and making a trip to the Convo. All this means nothing this early in the year and games have to be played. Should be a fun year for those French City Devils
Should be a good season for the Blue Devils.

Steelers - Blue Devils - Eagles
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I know nothing about the situation with Peck. But man I really like that kid . As a sophomore he shows flashes has a foot injury that costs him most of the year. Then as a junior he is the leading scorer for a team. That he was really the number 1 option on.

It has to be tough to get ready to start your senior year and realize that the style of play that the other 10 guys around you are best at. Is not a style of play that really fits your skill set. A lot of young men no matter there background would have a hard time handling that with class and without a attitude.

But whatever the case they really need him. They are a much better team with him and he is also one of the only true power forwards in southeast Ohio. I would expect him to play a little less then last year🎗. Because of team chemistry and style of play. But certain games I think he will still play through him.

Guess we will see tommorow night

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

I personally don't think there is an acceptable reason for a kid to walk out of an open gym/practice/scrimmage and to be allowed back on the team. All that does is make the coach look weak. Even if the decision comes from above him in the chain of command, the end result is it appears the coach will allow anything and everything to go on and he will just look the other way.

I don't care how talented a kid is, when he is a cancer to your team chemistry, you don't want that on your team. Whats stopping another kid from doing the same thing?

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Fonzie wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:58 am I personally don't think there is an acceptable reason for a kid to walk out of an open gym/practice/scrimmage and to be allowed back on the team. All that does is make the coach look weak. Even if the decision comes from above him in the chain of command, the end result is it appears the coach will allow anything and everything to go on and he will just look the other way.

I don't care how talented a kid is, when he is a cancer to your team chemistry, you don't want that on your team. Whats stopping another kid from doing the same thing?
Like i said i know nothing about the Peck situation. But i have seen 2 parents today and both of them looked at me said boy Topix and SEOPS are in mid season form with all the rumors about us aren't they and just laughed. we only talked for a minute but don't get the feeling they feel there is anything in turmoil.

Guess we will begin to get answers in a few hours.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

This will be what it will be: i just hope that all the kids go out and play hard and have a great season and the community supports them the way they did football this season.

Padrino_Azul ☠️
Waterboy

Post by Padrino_Azul ☠️ »

The community will support a team that competes and plays hard . The main thing is politics (parents) need to to stay away from the coaches office. Play the kids that deserve to play .

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Fonzie wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:58 am I personally don't think there is an acceptable reason for a kid to walk out of an open gym/practice/scrimmage and to be allowed back on the team. All that does is make the coach look weak. Even if the decision comes from above him in the chain of command, the end result is it appears the coach will allow anything and everything to go on and he will just look the other way.

As a coach; What you tolerate, you condone.

Post by 645945 »

So you make a mistake an it is out on you ear. I am glad I had coaches that forgave my mistakes. Some are worse than others I grant you that but to dismiss a kid that is a extreme step. Make him sit make him run. He has lots of talent if he does the punishment for the misdeeds you have no reason to kick him off the team.

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

My thoughts on last night game against Oak Hill is we came out a little sluggish and we fell too far behind in the first half because we were missing too many easy shots. It hurt us that Loveday picked up 2 early fouls. For the Blue Devils to be successful we need Loveday on the floor as much as possible. I thought we played a much better second half and would have won the game if we hadn't been down by 16 points at the half. I thought Call Played really well, Loveday played ok but he didn't have a great game we need him to be great on the floor on offense and defense, Wiseman can play a lot better than he played last night some times he takes too many bad shots and Wiseman is a heck of a player he just needs to let the game come to him and don't force things, McCelland played ok. and Henry looked good on defense, but needs to insert himself more on offense, I thought Peck was completely out of shape he struggle when he was on the floor, Thomas help off of the bench, but I thought Carter and Blouir looked really weak on defense when they were on the floor they were more or less getting man handled. I still think the Blue Devils are going to be really good and have a great season when all the parts come together.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I believe they have 11 kids that can play and contribute but not the way they played last night. If the blue Devils play games in the 40’s they will maybe win 12 or 14 games. But it will be ok. Because they won’t play this style again.

And say what you want about Peck but this team played a ton better with him on the floor then without him. But once again that was because the style of play and the Gallipolis played the game. Changed in when Peck came in. If they would of continued on same path they would of lost by 20.

This team has 3 basketball players on it. Loveday, Peck and wiseman. The rest are all just athletes.. so you want to see them excel at what they do. Let them be athletes.

Loveday is good by to be Loveday I don’t think you could of asked him to play better. Did he dominate the way he can no but that was not Loveday’s fault. That lies on your offensive and defensive game plan. Peck is like a bull in china shop. That is his game on offensive and defensive side of ball. Even when he puts up 25 your not going to see anything pretty there. So yea he needs to be a little more ready to play but his style is just messy and ugly. Wiseman is a great defender. Maybe better off ball then on ball. On offense he is a great dribble drive guy but that is my ch more effective when he hits his outside shot and outside of Loveday and call this team shot horribly.

The entire rest of your team is athletes. And putting them in rigid offensive sets is going to reduce there athletic advantages and this team will struggle. Same on defense. Blue Devils play as great athletes. But putting them in a straight up man to man against basketball players. You will get what you got last night.

But I take nothing from this game. I have seen the foundation game like 6 or 7 straight years now. And since Harrison took over.. he treats this game as like ok. Now is a time to try all the things we don’t do.
I don’t know what I think about it. Maybe it gives him another view of his team. Maybe it is just something to put on tape to make other teams spend a little time on. I am not sure what the method to his madness is here.

But it has been same every year since he took over. Now if they come out on 1st against Athens and play the same style I will admit I was totally wrong but history tells me. they will look totally different in 10 days.

Return to “Boys Basketball”