Athens vs Gallia - season opener

svac83
SE

Re: Athens vs Gallia - season opener

Post by svac83 »

Here is the key to this game and for the Blue Devils season. The Blue Devils are both blessed and cursed by their versatility. They are blessed in the fact that this team can match and play all styles of play. They are not going to get caught up in a style a play they can’t play. But that is also a curse. Because this team can play almost any style they very seldom force a team to play there style of basketball. They almost always play the competitions style. That allows a lot of teams to be in games that they should not be in. Hopefully that is something that changes this year. Hopefully they see teams weaknesses and attack and force people to do things they don’t do well. If they can do that they win a ton of games. They continue to play others teams style. They will lose a few they have no buisness losing. I will be shocked if we don’t see the blue Devils best effort on friday night.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Roster
#1 c. Davis 5’ 8” jr
#2 c. Henry 6’ 0“ jr. maybe starter
# 3 e. Wiseman 6’ 1” sr starter
# 10 j. Mccellend 6’0” jr starter
# 11 b. Carter 6’ 3” jr
# 12 k. Thomas 6’ 1” jr
# 14 l. Blouir 6’ 0” soph
# 22 c. Call 6’ 1” jr starter
# 32 z. Loveday 7’ 0” soph starter
# 33 g. Harrison 6’ 1 “ sr
# 35 j. Peck 6’ 5” sr. Maybe starter
# 44 b. Walker 6’ 0” jr

There may be 1 or 2 other kids dress. Those heights are off max preps not sure they are right. The numbers are off the team picture so they should be correct

River runner
Waterboy

Post by River runner »

I also agree GAHS should for the most part play 8. That doesn’t mean a few others won’t get a few spot minutes here or there. I think the team plays well running and they want to but I think the coach will slow them down. They really don’t seem to be comfortable in a slow down set up offense. Lots of ball handlers should be able to run a bit but we will see. Good luck

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I think if you are Athens you shutdown Peck and McClelland and let the others Beat you. That's Just my Opinion. I really don't know much about some of the other players though.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

svac83 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:30 pm Roster
#1 c. Davis 5’ 8” jr
# 11 b. Carter 6’ 3” jr
# 12 k. Thomas 6’ 1” jr
# 44 b. Walker 6’ 0” jr

There may be 1 or 2 other kids dress. Those heights are off max preps not sure they are right. The numbers are off the team picture so they should be correct
Thanks

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:52 pm I think if you are Athens you shutdown Peck and McClelland and let the others Beat you. That's Just my Opinion. I really don't know much about some of the other players though.
Mccellend not hard to shut down. If you guard him and dont want him to score that is easy. he will give the ball up he is a point guard that is his game. play off him and he will spot up 3's at a decent clip. Peck is totally a match up thing. if you match up well with peck you can shut him down. very few kids match up with him though.

Blue devils have 5 kids returning that was the leading scorer in at least 1 game a year ago. They actually had 6 different kids lead them in scoring last year only one not back is miles cornwell. I think the blue devils will surprise people Friday night. I think if i am opposing team. Peck and wiseman would be the 2 kids i would want to shut down. if you dont match up well with peck then you just sort of have to say we will let him have his but not let anyone else beat us. Wiseman has had a tough preseason and i understand exactly why he has but i am not sure if it is something that the team has been working on last few weeks or just him. Wiseman problem in preseason has been no jump shot.not that he haunt made any but that he hasn't taken one. wiseman loves to shoot the 3 in transition or quick in possession. even on a off night he has a soft touch and a lot of soft bounces for easy tipin's. that draws the defense out to him and in that situation he can take most kids off the dribble to hoop. but in preseason a lot of kids playing 3 feet or more off him and he is not even looking to shoot and just starts to drive. it is really easy for defenses shut him down and quite frankly the entire offense. i think Friday coach will take the reigns off a little and let them play.

I could be totally wrong but it seems tome this team really understands its weaknesses and knows how and why waverly dominated them in sectional. and they have spent most of last 3 weeks concentrating on that. not what it looks like or the end result but just making sure they always get to the hoop....

We might come out friday play the same 2-3 zone we played most of last year and play the the double posts high and low that we played last year and play a game in 50's or low 60's.. But when i look at the philosophy that this coaching staff started employing at all levels below varsity over last 3 years everything tells me they want to play fast. And they want to extend the defense and get after people and now except for one or two kids that is what they have. I will be just be really confused if they dont do it. Now i will understand if Peck is just dominating a team on offensive end and we want to protect him some on defensive end and back off and dont press. But otherwise i have no idea what we are doing.

Padrino_Azul ☠️
Waterboy

Post by Padrino_Azul ☠️ »

Unless you are at practice every day , how else would you know if a kid can play other than setting in the stands watching ? Call me crazy if you want , but I have also watched the Blue Devils for 3or 4 years . IT IS EASY if you know anything about the game at all to watch and see who cane play . That’s what is great about ball games , a player will show if he can play or not .

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Padrino_Azul ☠️ wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:43 pm Unless you are at practice every day , how else would you know if a kid can play other than setting in the stands watching ? Call me crazy if you want , but I have also watched the Blue Devils for 3or 4 years . IT IS EASY if you know anything about the game at all to watch and see who cane play . That’s what is great about ball games , a player will show if he can play or not .
Ok knowing if a kid can play or should play are 2 different things. And that is exactly what i mean. I dont think anyone setting in stands know who should play. And depending on what a coach has going on in his head as far as what he is trying to accomplish at that particular point in game or season he may be thinking totally different... There is only one kid they dress that i question if he should get minutes or not and that is the coaches son. And i am not going to kill a coach for putting his kid on a team and giving him a few minutes. Now if he was starting him or giving him major minutes maybe. But besides that depending on the situation there are a lot of kids there that i would trust and want to get in a game.

Do i think they are challenging for starting spots no. do i think they will serve major roles probably not.

But that is why i disagree that anyone in the stands unless they are at practice every day knows who should play. And not all kids can play in all styles of games or against all teams. but that doesnt mean they cant play.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Why does people get on here and post all they know about the team they want to win ?strong vs weak of the team?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Geronimo wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:01 pm Why does people get on here and post all they know about the team they want to win ?strong vs weak of the team?
Maybe It's Mis-Information... :D

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I want to know-does Loveday Win every JumpBall??

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

svac83 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:01 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:52 pm I think if you are Athens you shutdown Peck and McClelland and let the others Beat you. That's Just my Opinion. I really don't know much about some of the other players though.
Mccellend not hard to shut down. If you guard him and dont want him to score that is easy. he will give the ball up he is a point guard that is his game. play off him and he will spot up 3's at a decent clip. Peck is totally a match up thing. if you match up well with peck you can shut him down. very few kids match up with him though.

Blue devils have 5 kids returning that was the leading scorer in at least 1 game a year ago. They actually had 6 different kids lead them in scoring last year only one not back is miles cornwell. I think the blue devils will surprise people Friday night. I think if i am opposing team. Peck and wiseman would be the 2 kids i would want to shut down. if you dont match up well with peck then you just sort of have to say we will let him have his but not let anyone else beat us. Wiseman has had a tough preseason and i understand exactly why he has but i am not sure if it is something that the team has been working on last few weeks or just him. Wiseman problem in preseason has been no jump shot.not that he haunt made any but that he hasn't taken one. wiseman loves to shoot the 3 in transition or quick in possession. even on a off night he has a soft touch and a lot of soft bounces for easy tipin's. that draws the defense out to him and in that situation he can take most kids off the dribble to hoop. but in preseason a lot of kids playing 3 feet or more off him and he is not even looking to shoot and just starts to drive. it is really easy for defenses shut him down and quite frankly the entire offense. i think Friday coach will take the reigns off a little and let them play.

I could be totally wrong but it seems tome this team really understands its weaknesses and knows how and why waverly dominated them in sectional. and they have spent most of last 3 weeks concentrating on that. not what it looks like or the end result but just making sure they always get to the hoop....

We might come out friday play the same 2-3 zone we played most of last year and play the the double posts high and low that we played last year and play a game in 50's or low 60's.. But when i look at the philosophy that this coaching staff started employing at all levels below varsity over last 3 years everything tells me they want to play fast. And they want to extend the defense and get after people and now except for one or two kids that is what they have. I will be just be really confused if they dont do it. Now i will understand if Peck is just dominating a team on offensive end and we want to protect him some on defensive end and back off and dont press. But otherwise i have no idea what we are doing.
15-7 Regular Season pretty darn good. Athens ended up 13-9 I believe regular season. 14-10 for the Year.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Geronimo wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:01 pm Why does people get on here and post all they know about the team they want to win ?strong vs weak of the team?
Eh, it really shouldn't matter. If a coach is going to do their scouting off of an anonymous message board, then they are likely going to be in trouble at game time. A kid might come look, but they should be paying attention to their coach over fandoms online lol.

Although, I know of coaches who won't send their stats in for the local paper to write about their team because another coach might scout off of stats, so who knows.

BigBlue85
Waterboy

Post by BigBlue85 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:37 pm
svac83 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:30 pm Roster
#1 c. Davis 5’ 8” jr
# 11 b. Carter 6’ 3” jr
# 12 k. Thomas 6’ 1” jr
# 44 b. Walker 6’ 0” jr

Thanks
Correction on this roster. Kaden Thomas is also a senior

BigBlue85
Waterboy

Post by BigBlue85 »

I don't see Athens being able to handle all the talent and experience on this Gallia team. Gallia at home and loaded this year, I will take a wild guess and say Gallia 71 Athens 51
Go Big Blue!

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

BigBlue85 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:57 am I don't see Athens being able to handle all the talent and experience on this Gallia team. Gallia at home and loaded this year, I will take a wild guess and say Gallia 71 Athens 51
Go Big Blue!
Wooeee! That prediction aught to get ol' 93 and Raider 6309 fired up!!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:26 am
BigBlue85 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:57 am I don't see Athens being able to handle all the talent and experience on this Gallia team. Gallia at home and loaded this year, I will take a wild guess and say Gallia 71 Athens 51
Go Big Blue!
Wooeee! That prediction aught to get ol' 93 and Raider 6309 fired up!!
We shall see Friday

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Thanks A Lot Geronimo. I think you scared svac83 off this thread. Game plan against Gallia almost Complete from his Info and now NADA, ZIP. :lol:

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Gary Lee has a game plan /right done forgot as much / lol !

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Just like that cup of coffee at OakHill they did not expect to win many games back then / but now it's a must!!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”