Athens @ VC 1/23

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Re: Athens @ VC 1/23

Post by Allthewayup11 »

I think this game will be much closer that everyone thinks. I also have a feeling it will be more physical than it was before too. I think the last game was officiated very well and typically this is NOT the case when Athens travels to Vinton. I am hoping for a legitimate best game of the year from the Athens squad. Reduce the turn overs, head up, press the three shooters and limit the paint points, we might actually have us a ball game.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Skol, Skol, Skol, Skol, Skol

Vikings by 22.

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

The lack of substance and overuse of cliches is exhausting. Go Bulldogs!!!

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

And before last season the Bulldogs had won 3 in a row at Valhalla.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Tonight's game can be heard live on 970wath or 970wath.com

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:30 pm Athens coming off a good team effort in a win over Meigs and also fully healthy and possibly could see some action from the Athletic Robert Dickelman who has returned to the team.
Has returned to the team? Where did he go? Sabbatical? Missionary?

It is definitely a different time, back in my day, you just don't leave the team only to come back. Wow. That might have set a bad precedence for seasons to come.

Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:42 am
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:30 pm Athens coming off a good team effort in a win over Meigs and also fully healthy and possibly could see some action from the Athletic Robert Dickelman who has returned to the team.
Has returned to the team? Where did he go? Sabbatical? Missionary?

It is definitely a different time, back in my day, you just don't leave the team only to come back. Wow. That might have set a bad precedence for seasons to come.
"Win at all costs" Hawkeye, "win at all costs." Also, some of those AAU coaches learn to be a little loose with the rules. :lol:

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I was coming back to say nevermind...I read the Athens/Meigs thread. Wow.

My only opinion, I cannot imagine what those parents of the players he plays in front of are saying.

Mike Hawk
Waterboy

Post by Mike Hawk »

Some of these new wave coaches have kids taking turns leving the team and then coming back. It lets them have time for introspection. Then they return to the team like a zenmaster and set the stage for great things.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The decision was put on the players shoulders, if all of them wanted him back (100% vote) then he was allowed. In the midst of a roller coaster season, it's the one thing they've done collectively as a team - so im on board with it.

Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 am The decision was put on the players shoulders, if all of them wanted him back (100% vote) then he was allowed. In the midst of a roller coaster season, it's the one thing they've done collectively as a team - so im on board with it.
Yes let the players decide. Let them decide what offense and defense to run too. Let them decide if they have practice or not. Maybe next time someone will quit and then try to come back and a player or two won't like him. Sorry buddy, two players voted no so have a nice life. :lol:

Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

Mike Hawk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 am Some of these new wave coaches have kids taking turns leving the team and then coming back. It lets them have time for introspection. Then they return to the team like a zenmaster and set the stage for great things.
Yes, it's called AAU. :mrgreen:

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

I saw Athens and granted it was early in the season and they struggled so maybe they have improved.

I will have to go with Vinton County in this one by double figures. They seem to be getting healthy at the right time from what I am hearing.
Should make a nice post season run as usual.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Some cold hearted people on this thread. It's high school basketball people, we are talking about young men who make mistakes. You don't think this stuff happens in the real world. Sometimes we quit jobs, sometimes we go back. We humble ourselves and ask for forgiveness and another chance. Isn't there life lessons to be learned out of all of this? Compassion, forgiveness, humility, character and resolve? Maybe he comes back, maybe it doesn't work out and there will be those who can't wait to jump on the bandwagon and say see I told you so. But, that there will be another life lesson. It's all in how you learn and grow and face difficult decisions. Now let's play some Basketball and carry on!!!

PowerLifitingNut
Riding the Bench

Post by PowerLifitingNut »

VisionQuest wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:49 pm Some cold hearted people on this thread. It's high school basketball people, we are talking about young men who make mistakes. You don't think this stuff happens in the real world. Sometimes we quit jobs, sometimes we go back. We humble ourselves and ask for forgiveness and another chance. Isn't there life lessons to be learned out of all of this? Compassion, forgiveness, humility, character and resolve? Maybe he comes back, maybe it doesn't work out and there will be those who can't wait to jump on the bandwagon and say see I told you so. But, that there will be another life lesson. It's all in how you learn and grow and face difficult decisions. Now let's play some Basketball and carry on!!!
I would say 4-9 has a lot to do with why he was allowed to come back. If it were 9-4 it would probably not been considered. That's my 2 pennies.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

I don't understand why Athens EVER struggles in basketball (or any sport). It is the only city school in a league filled with smaller country schools. Im not saying they should go undefeated every year.....but 4-9 in the TVC...really??!! Its not just the TVC is most of the surrounding schools as well. Athens has the biggest pool to chose from in a small area. I wonder what their enrollment is "student per sq mile" compared to the rest of the area. My guess is much, much higher.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

My stance has always been, and will always be, if you quit, then you quit. There is no doubt if they were 9-4 he would not be back. At this point the team needs something to get them going. Looking at them on paper vs what you see on the court, has to be depressing. There is lots of talent there, we will see if this is the spark they needed.

Upset tonight:
Vinton County - 58
The Plains - 63

If you ain't first, you're last!
Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Orestes' wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:54 am
93Bulldog wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 am The decision was put on the players shoulders, if all of them wanted him back (100% vote) then he was allowed. In the midst of a roller coaster season, it's the one thing they've done collectively as a team - so im on board with it.
Yes let the players decide. Let them decide what offense and defense to run too. Let them decide if they have practice or not. Maybe next time someone will quit and then try to come back and a player or two won't like him. Sorry buddy, two players voted no so have a nice life. :lol:
I hate reading trash like this.

Orestes, you must be a professional athlete and perfectionist on the court. Must have scored 1000 points in your HS career and 5K in college and 20K in the pros. From now on, we should listen to you as the Gold standard of comments!

Most of these kids are friends off the court, on the football field and beyond. If you can't support your friends, whether they made a mistake or not, how can you call yourself a friend much less a student/athlete. A student Athlete wants the best on the court with him/her. Just maybe this kid had to focus some on college recruiting for another sport, attend some non-basketball related personal activities, or focus on the end of semester for school to put himself in the best position grades wise. And now, just maybe he decided he didn't want to regret his decision to finish his HS career without playing ball with his friends. No matter the scenario, he has been supportive since his return, the team is supporting his return, he understood he will have to earn back playing time, and win or lose, play or not play, he is part of the team.

Deez Nutz
Waterboy

Post by Deez Nutz »

Allthewayup11 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:45 pm
Orestes' wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:54 am
I hate reading trash like this.

Orestes, you must be a professional athlete and perfectionist on the court. Must have scored 1000 points in your HS career and 5K in college and 20K in the pros. From now on, we should listen to you as the Gold standard of comments!

Most of these kids are friends off the court, on the football field and beyond. If you can't support your friends, whether they made a mistake or not, how can you call yourself a friend much less a student/athlete. A student Athlete wants the best on the court with him/her. Just maybe this kid had to focus some on college recruiting for another sport, attend some non-basketball related personal activities, or focus on the end of semester for school to put himself in the best position grades wise. And now, just maybe he decided he didn't want to regret his decision to finish his HS career without playing ball with his friends. No matter the scenario, he has been supportive since his return, the team is supporting his return, he understood he will have to earn back playing time, and win or lose, play or not play, he is part of the team.
And now we know who the mom of the kid who quit is. :lol:

“Do you want to see bofa?” :mrgreen:
Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

Hate to see the Momz get caught up in this stuff. They usually do or say stuff they regret. i rememebr a bunch of moms getting together to go to a school board and complain about the football coach at wellston. What a train wreck.

Return to “Boys Basketball”