SEOPS Hippo

Re: Athens at Jackson: 1/30

Post by Ironman92 »

Final

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Congrats to Athens and safe travels home.

Jackson fought and scrapped like Jackson always does but foul trouble, rebounding and foul shooting doomed them in the end. Athens played a good zone and Jackson attacked them pretty well but definitely missed Cooper Donaldson in the middle of that zone. Jackson kids stepped in and played hard but Cooper out certainly affected the offense and rebounding. Caleb Wallis played hard as hell all game long and gave up virtually nothing with his mismatch. Spohn has some big boards throughout the game. Props to Tj Byrd for coming in and bodying up Athens bigger post players and providing a spark with help side, rebounds and a couple buckets. Freshman Treylan Davis has a nice 4th quarter and gave us a good chance.

Athens has a nice team and move well in their zone. Active on the boards, hit enough from the outside and nailed their free throws when it mattered the most. They should have a good chance in their 4/5 sectional matchup which seems likely.

It may not have been too lopsided but I would like to know rebounding totals and 2nd chance points...it may not have been too bad but I am interested.

Good Luck to Athens the rest of the way and I really really hope we meet again.

Jackson has to keep fighting and clawing. I have no doubts they will and get the momentum going for a tournament run.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Rebounds

Athens 31
Jackson 26

Not too bad for the undersized Ironmen. I was guessing it closer to 10

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Athens won by 3 and Cooper Donaldson (leading rebounder/scorer) didn’t play for the Ironman ? ...that’s a good showing for JHS vs the 3 Bigs for Athens ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:52 pm Athens won by 3 and Cooper Donaldson (leading rebounder/scorer) didn’t play for the Ironman ? ...that’s a good showing for JHS vs the 3 Bigs for Athens ...
Should’ve won but didn’t. Athens earned it.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Why should they have won? Despite an early lead in the 1st and for a few sec late, Jackson didn't hold a lead the entire game. lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Jackson was outrebounded, had more turnovers and didn't make as many foul shots.

If you want to say they should have won with Donaldson, that's fair I guess.

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

Still no Cozart for the Dogs either. 3rd team all district last season just like Donaldson was.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Good win by the Bulldogs kept their composure and didn't panic. 4 in a row on the road. Can they get 5 in a row at NY on Friday or is it a Trap Game?

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

One team lost their "best player" and hasn't lost since, while the other just lost in their first game without theirs. Hmmm, which was is truly more valuable to their team.

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

Four in a row for Athens.This team has shown great team work these last four games and comes back to win this one after trailing with about a minute left. Tremendous game by Maxfield and the big duo down low and Chubb with key shots and Saltsman running the point. Guys are talking out there and motivating each other. Bench looked motivated. One game at a time. Huge road wins against LE and at this tough Jackson arena.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

This is Athens easier part of their schedule and starting to play better is good for momentum for Tourney time . They are a player in the TVC Ohio. How long will Cozard be out ? Hope not long for the young man . Good win Bulldogs!

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Some are hinting that Jackson wins if their "star" player isn't out. Maybe. But There in lies the problem when a team is so dependent on 1 or 2 players. With Athens they have multiple players that are stepping up on any given night. They are playing unselfish, making the extra pass and feeding off one another's success. If one doesn't show up in the scoring column then another is taking his place. Seems to be a newfound interest in DEFENSE!!!-That's what wins games, there is Communication-the players talk to each other. Bench players are coming in and playing great defense and hustling. Keep up the good work Bulldogs!!!

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

VisionQuest wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:47 pm Some are hinting that Jackson wins if their "star" player isn't out. Maybe. But There in lies the problem when a team is so dependent on 1 or 2 players. With Athens they have multiple players that are stepping up on any given night. They are playing unselfish, making the extra pass and feeding off one another's success. If one doesn't show up in the scoring column then another is taking his place. Seems to be a newfound interest in DEFENSE!!!-That's what wins games, there is Communication-the players talk to each other. Bench players are coming in and playing great defense and hustling. Keep up the good work Bulldogs!!!
You have spoken very wisely . When a team relies on 1 or 2 players they will fall short on their potential . I have seen it many , many times . Team work and believing in each other is good medicine in making a successful season . Good for you Athens .

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

Supporters are excited at Athens. Completely different team

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:14 pm Why should they have won? Despite an early lead in the 1st and for a few sec late, Jackson didn't hold a lead the entire game. lol
Battled from being down all game and took the lead late in the 4th and had free throws to go up 4 with around 2 min or less left. I feel they should’ve won. Is that unfair or offensive somehow? I stated in the same post Athens earned it. Should’ve won at VC as well, but did not.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:09 am
93Bulldog wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:14 pm Why should they have won? Despite an early lead in the 1st and for a few sec late, Jackson didn't hold a lead the entire game. lol
Battled from being down all game and took the lead late in the 4th and had free throws to go up 4 with around 2 min or less left. I feel they should’ve won. Is that unfair or offensive somehow? I stated in the same post Athens earned it. Should’ve won at VC as well, but did not.
Despite the win, I didn't think Athens played particularly well. Butcher had been averaging 20+ game as a starter, but scored just 6 I think. Clock management was horrible. TWICE, with a lead and just under a minute to go, Athens fired up ill advised three's at the end of quarters instead of draining the clock and taking the last shot. BOTH times led to Jackson going to the free throw line with under 2 sec to go and shooting THREE free throws. Athens didn't shoot well from beyond the arc, usually they hit 4 or 5 three's per game, but drained just two I think by Chubb. And it's not like Athens was great from the free throw line either, the Dogs made just 13-of-20 ... From my perspective they should have won by 10-12 at least. Opinions on how games should go or did go are always in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Jackson was 12-of-17 from the charity stripe.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:21 am
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:09 am
Despite the win, I didn't think Athens played particularly well. Butcher had been averaging 20+ game as a starter, but scored just 6 I think. Clock management was horrible. TWICE, with a lead and just under a minute to go, Athens fired up ill advised three's at the end of quarters instead of draining the clock and taking the last shot. BOTH times led to Jackson going to the free throw line with under 2 sec to go and shooting THREE free throws. Athens didn't shoot well from beyond the arc, usually they hit 4 or 5 three's per game, but drained just two I think by Chubb. And it's not like Athens was great from the free throw line either, the Dogs made just 13-of-20 ... From my perspective they should have won by 10-12 at least. Opinions on how games should go or did go are always in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Jackson was 12-of-17 from the charity stripe.
Yes, every play and possession matters. You have ft numbers the final 3:00? Final minute? Athens was clutch on ft late.

Return to “Boys Basketball”