Re: Fouls Called On BIG MEN

Post by noreply66 »

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Bigman83
Riding the Bench

Post by Bigman83 »

I think not only is it false calls on them, but no calls against them. Many bigs get hammered going to the rim and it ends up being a no call. I'm not sure if refs just assume that they can take the contact because they're big, which can be the case however that's not a valid argument if they call a touch foul on a big vs. guard. Bryce Damron from VC is a big victim of this as well as Swingle from PV, and many other bigs throughout SEO.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

NBA officials are making 6 figures and do this for a living and they still can't get it right all the time. High school refs are making 60-70 a game. Youll never get consistency. If it looks like a foul it's gonna get called a foul. Kids can be straight up and they're gonna call it anyway based off the players reaction to the contact. I tell players all the time if it looks odd to an official then u can bet your life they're calling something. Even if there is no violation. But you just have to keep in mind they're working for peanuts. That being said I'm still giving them the business from the bleachers 😀

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

An official when he walk on the court is starting his work duty. Unless he has a personal agenda probably could care less who wins . H e is evaluated by the some few hundred fans that will not agree on most calls . Being consistent is all we can ask as fans .

Bball4
Waterboy

Post by Bball4 »

I do my best to respect all officials but when the game is not called the same when it comes to a big man it is hard. Being a parent of a big man it is hard to watch him get the crap beat out of him night in and night out and nothing is called. He lays a finger on a smaller player and the whistles go crazy. It is hard to watch, just because they may be big a foul is a foul. I'm not saying this to all officials but most don't treat big men the same.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

:)
Bball4 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:48 pm I do my best to respect all officials but when the game is not called the same when it comes to a big man it is hard. Being a parent of a big man it is hard to watch him get the crap beat out of him night in and night out and nothing is called. He lays a finger on a smaller player and the whistles go crazy. It is hard to watch, just because they may be big a foul is a foul. I'm not saying this to all officials but most don't treat big men the same.

... in te case of your son Bball4 HE gets beat up practically every game he plays ... I've watched him for 4 years now - it is unbelievable imo how much contact HE takes without a foul being called while the other way around it seems if he breathes on someone wrong the whistle is blown ... to his credit Bball4 , he has NEVER questioned a call - ever ! ... he hands over the ball, his face NEVER changes expression - HE is an example for ALL young players to watch and learn from - great player, awesome young man ...

Bball4
Waterboy

Post by Bball4 »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:25 pm :)
Bball4 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:48 pm I do my best to respect all officials but when the game is not called the same when it comes to a big man it is hard. Being a parent of a big man it is hard to watch him get the crap beat out of him night in and night out and nothing is called. He lays a finger on a smaller player and the whistles go crazy. It is hard to watch, just because they may be big a foul is a foul. I'm not saying this to all officials but most don't treat big men the same.

... in te case of your son Bball4 HE gets beat up practically every game he plays ... I've watched him for 4 years now - it is unbelievable imo how much contact HE takes without a foul being called while the other way around it seems if he breathes on someone wrong the whistle is blown ... to his credit Bball4 , he has NEVER questioned a call - ever ! ... he hands over the ball, his face NEVER changes expression - HE is an example for ALL young players to watch and learn from - great player, awesome young man ...

Pfloyd I appreciate the nice words. Thank god he has his moms demeanor and not mine. I would probably be thrown out of every game. Keep up the good work you're doing. Will we be seeing you Saturday?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Bball4 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:40 pm
pfloyd wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:25 pm :)

Pfloyd I appreciate the nice words. Thank god he has his moms demeanor and not mine. I would probably be thrown out of every game. Keep up the good work you're doing. Will we be seeing you Saturday?
LOL ... my plans to go to Chesapeake were changed for me , my alternate route leads to FU for a great matchup with the U ... I'll make sure I say hello ...

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Post play is more physical . Has been for a long time . Are we talking about fouls between post players now or the Block or charge fouls . I still have a hard time thinking that officials pick on Big Men . I think hand checking and boxing out could also be viewed as being picked on . Basketball has changed a lot in the last 50 years . Contact will be there and who is guilty of the foul is up to the officials . Should be a great game at FU . The Shermans by 5 !

Bball4
Waterboy

Post by Bball4 »

Truth&fiction wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:15 pm Post play is more physical . Has been for a long time . Are we talking about fouls between post players now or the Block or charge fouls . I still have a hard time thinking that officials pick on Big Men . I think hand checking and boxing out could also be viewed as being picked on . Basketball has changed a lot in the last 50 years . Contact will be there and who is guilty of the foul is up to the officials . Should be a great game at FU . The Shermans by 5 !
Sir, no im talking about getting hit on the arm, hit in the head, arm being pulled down while shooting, jersey being yanked on while going up for a shot and nothing being called. I'm not talking about charge calls or stuff like that. Yes the post is physical and always will be but a foul on the shot is a foul. Contact is one thing during a play but when shooting and getting hacked is a foul.

B-ball-fan
Riding the Bench

Post by B-ball-fan »

This has been an issue for me all year. I Am bias a bit on good post players but this year in particular has been a rough year on big men. Many times I have seen completely out stretched arms and the fouls are called anyway. Drives me nuts. Are flops supposed to be called personal fouls or technicals? Just wondering.

In youth we learn. In age we understand.
Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Bball4 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:42 pm
Truth&fiction wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:15 pm Post play is more physical . Has been for a long time . Are we talking about fouls between post players now or the Block or charge fouls . I still have a hard time thinking that officials pick on Big Men . I think hand checking and boxing out could also be viewed as being picked on . Basketball has changed a lot in the last 50 years . Contact will be there and who is guilty of the foul is up to the officials . Should be a great game at FU . The Shermans by 5 !
Sir, no im talking about getting hit on the arm, hit in the head, arm being pulled down while shooting, jersey being yanked on while going up for a shot and nothing being called. I'm not talking about charge calls or stuff like that. Yes the post is physical and always will be but a foul on the shot is a foul. Contact is one thing during a play but when shooting and getting hacked is a foul.
I get it . I have seen a lot of that also . I think the original post was Big Men getting calls against them on charging calls or blocking fouls . Your coach has a right to object to rough and hacking fouls . Not trying to defend officials and if this type of play is happening then I would agree Big Men fouls are viewed differently . But why?

Amock0905
Freshman Team

Post by Amock0905 »

Bryce Damrom from Vinton County has been dealing with this issue all year I’ve noticed a kid can come into the paint and he won’t leave his feet arms up straight and the whistle blows all the time

The 24 year drought is over! 🏈🏆
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

It's the Shaq affect. They allow bigs to absorb more contact if they don't feel it has impacted the play. That's why sometimes the whistle for the big men is late because the ref is waiting to see if the shot goes in or not. No ref will admit that but I've seen it too many times down low.

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:01 pm Is there a Bias against Big Bodied Players when fouls are called? Case in point in last nights Wellston/Athens game. Athens big Center Isiah Butcher was called for a few fouls in the game where he was standing in the paint with outstretched arms and had is ground staked out and the opposing player drove into the paint and ran into his body and fell as if hitting a Brickhouse. Butcher was playing defense the way it is supposed to be IMO but was called for the Fouls. I think this happens a lot with Big Men and the Refs feel sorry for the smaller players. What are others Thoughts on this??
It really depends on the situation. For the right fee, I wouldn't call even one foul on the big fella. Have your AD con tact me through Scott Dale down at Southern. We can get this worked out.

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

Truth&fiction wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:34 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:14 pm Yeah Butcher gets screwed by the refs. A flop should be a foul.
I would like to hear from some officials on this . It's a judgement call and I'm not sure they penalize a big body but I could be wrong . I' ve seen the little guy go in there and get hammered so does some officials say hey he should have known better. If you are on the road do not expect judgement calls to go your way very often . A block or charge is a tough call sometimes because of angles and shifting of the body and is a judgement call a lot . IMO
It's simple economics really.

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

noreply66 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 pm Refs call what they think they see.
Easy big feller. Sounds like you are about to be guilty of ref bashing. Mods should set the example for proper board behavior. If I was a mod I would set you down a few days.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Farmer Yoder wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:47 am
noreply66 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 pm Refs call what they think they see.
Easy big feller. Sounds like you are about to be guilty of ref bashing. Mods should set the example for proper board behavior. If I was a mod I would set you down a few days.
funny stuff there :lol:

Hope you are going on the referees forum telling everyone the same thing or are you just picking at mods today lol
Last edited by noreply66 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Snowflake
Freshman Team

Post by Snowflake »

Purple Rain wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 am This happens to Kaleb Hill at Eastern on a nightly basis. He is TARGETED just because he's a BIG MAN
Someone should file a complaint with the ACLU about this. Targeting is a serious offense, and should be stopped.

Return to “Boys Basketball”