Possible POY in TVC

Amock0905
Freshman Team

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Amock0905 »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:52 am
Amock0905 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:47 am Vinton County will cut down the net tonight against NY nelsonville is Athens only hope for splitting the TVC naylan Yates/ Jake Speakman for TVC POY and Combs will have won another TVC championship
Uh no

Gotta win at wellston
Like I said another TVC championship for combs

The 24 year drought is over! 🏈🏆
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If Athens played earlier like they are now, they wouldn't have lost by 1 at wellston and probably wouldn't have lost at Alex either. Vikes would be 1 game back.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:59 am If Athens played earlier like they are now, they wouldn't have lost by 1 at wellston and probably wouldn't have lost at Alex either. Vikes would be 1 game back.
Athens lost to Wellston when Athens had their full team? Vinton lost to NY with Yates boys.

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

I believe Athens coach has done a masterful job at piecing the talents together to make a winning team. They do not, however have 1 player who can claim POY. They have 2 bigs who are outstanding but don't run the floor so good - they have a couple nice shooters who aren't so strong at D and rebounding.....They just have 8 - 10 of them. Yates and Speakman are complete players and from a league contender. Cozart COY

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ed Ott wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:15 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:59 am If Athens played earlier like they are now, they wouldn't have lost by 1 at wellston and probably wouldn't have lost at Alex either. Vikes would be 1 game back.
Athens lost to Wellston when Athens had their full team? Vinton lost to NY with Yates boys.
I will spell this out one more time about the Wellston game. Several variables came into play that game. Butcher did not play the 1st half. Hynes went down in the 3rd quarter with an ankle injury and did not return. Chubb was in foul trouble in the 2nd half and sat several minutes. Those 3 factors combined I believe contributed to the 1 point loss @ Wellston.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Butcher sat out first half.
Hines got hurt in 4th.
Beat wellston 88-38 when clicking on all cylinders.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:27 pm
Butcher sat out first half.
Hines got hurt in 4th.
Beat wellston 88-38 when clicking on all cylinders.
You lost to Wellston. Butcher and Hines both played quarters of basketball in the game. VC was without the brothers completely. They are both just losses the if parts are not applicable.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

bburner wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:21 pm I believe Athens coach has done a masterful job at piecing the talents together to make a winning team. They do not, however have 1 player who can claim POY. They have 2 bigs who are outstanding but don't run the floor so good - they have a couple nice shooters who aren't so strong at D and rebounding.....They just have 8 - 10 of them. Yates and Speakman are complete players and from a league contender. Cozart COY
I will have to disagree. Logan Maxfield is the all around best player in the TVC-OHIO from what I have seen. As another poster stated he has about 15 charges this year, averages 3-4 steals a game, dives on the floor after Loose balls, gets his teammates and the crowd involved with his Energy. Also been the leading scorer in several games. I would say his points per game about 14. Has spearheaded Athens Renaissance. He deserves serious consideration because he is not just scoring points he is getting it done on Both Ends.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If there was a POY for 2nd half, Maxfield would definitely be in the mix. He has been on fire.

Bigman83
Riding the Bench

Post by Bigman83 »

Moral of the story is, Athens beat VC and lost to Wellston. I've also been told the Simpson kid from Wellston was out when they played @ Athens, and i also hear the Boyher kid from NY is out with a foot injury. If those two players play, thats a momentum swing for each team. I'm not saying it's a W, but it's an advantage. Their are a lot of "what if's" that could be asked about a lot of things. For example, what if Naylan doesn't roll his ankle in the Unioto foundation game and/or Nevan doesn't have a broken finger. Then they're a much better and more experienced team with a better matchup in the season opener at the beginning of the year against Bloom Carrol. If Naylan's fully healthy and Nevan plays, that's more experience and better leadership in that game. "what if Naylan and Nevan both play in the NY game @ NY", then that's a big swing into VC's favor. Vinton County's starters in the NY game involved two players (Noah Waddell & Shawn McCarty) who only had varsity experience at the end of games last season when VC was up by 60. Not to mention McCarty was the second leading scorer in that game until he took a hit to the face and had to sit for a majority of the game. A lot of "what if's" play into factor here but that doesnt change reality. VC still clinches at least a share in the TVC tonight against NY, if they win, and then gets it outright with a W at Wellston next Friday. With Yates possibility of hitting 1000pts tonight and a TVC title, he's the POY in my opinion if we're going off of team and career success. Yes Maxfield would have my vote in the second half of the year, however Yates is the obvious favorite for all season.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I have an easy solution. Lutz and Bartoe shared it last year. Maxfield and Yates should share it this year.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

The Athens loss at Wellston was probably similar to the OSU Buckeyes getting blown out and losing in Iowa during football season, should not have happened but it did. One of those games where everything fell into place for the Rockets and Athens was still struggling with getting the right players on the court. They are clearly a different team now.

Cozart COY and POY is a toss-up, Maxfield or Speakman as of right now for me.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If I were starting a team, first player I pick is Naylan. Just based on talent alone. Kid is a terrific athlete, great bball player.

If I'm going into a game knowing it's gonna be a slugfest. A knock down, drag out fight and I need something a little extra, I'm taking Maxfield first. Kid is a sparkplug with basketball skills.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:29 pm If I were starting a team, first player I pick is Naylan. Just based on talent alone. Kid is a terrific athlete, great bball player.

If I'm going into a game knowing it's gonna be a slugfest. A knock down, drag out fight and I need something a little extra, I'm taking Maxfield first. Kid is a sparkplug with basketball skills.
Cozard is the best player Athens has period . Out a few games does not matter. Seems like the Athens HOPEFULS name someone every couple weeks . But Cozard would be # 3 in the TVC Ohio with Yates or Speakman 1& 2. Just My opinion and I have seen all 3 this year.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Yates had it wrapped up before the season started. Why? Hes on the best team in the league, with the best coach and that will propel him. If anyone thinks Speakman has a chance, they are crazy. Combs will never pick him over Yates, not happening. I would pick Speakman personally, but it wont happen. As for Maxfield, not flashy enough in some eyes...

If you ain't first, you're last!
bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

Lot of names thrown around.......I say we throw em a ball & go one on one for POY. Bring in the Wellston kid / the NY kid / both Athens & Vinton kids & have a tourney! Donate proceeds.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Wellston kid? NY kid? I'd like to see an NY kid in the mix, but not this year....I'd agree there are Athens and VC - as much as I hate to. ha.

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

therealNY wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:31 pm Wellston kid? NY kid? I'd like to see an NY kid in the mix, but not this year....I'd agree there are Athens and VC - as much as I hate to. ha.

Well...we need enough for a good tourney .. . Stop being so REAL.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

True, my apologies. I'm on board.

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

LOL.... The tournament will be hard fought. Athens now playing TEAM ball. They now have pieces in order. Maybe they are not the best because many area teams are good. Truth as the fans know they now have the PG in place in number 1. Gets everyone the ball and they are beating teams they lost to. Shot selection is now varied the stats speak for themselves. VC will be favorites and it should be a good game. Congrats to Yates on his football decision

Return to “Boys Basketball”