Official Convo thread - 2018

Which team is more likely to upset the higher seed?

1. Gallia (over Fairfield Union)
11%
2. Warren (over Unioto)
16%
3. Paint Valley (over Oak Hill)
23%
4. Lynchburg Clay (over Wheelersburg)
15%
5. Alexander (over Piketon)
35%

Total votes: 124

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Official Convo thread - 2018

Post by trojandave »

I'm surprised that the poll doesn't include Vinton County vs. Fairland.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Tip of the cap to TrojanDave.

Once a Trojan Always a Trojan.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

trojandave wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:35 pm Pickoff42: Thanks for the support. Lord willing, I will be there next season to watch what looks to be a total rebuilding year for PHS.

Ankle Braces: Here is Portsmouth's record this decade:

2010: 12-7......sectional runnerup, lost to Lucasville Valley 63-62
2011: 21-5......state semifinal,lost to Cleveland Central Catholic 58-47
2012: 24-3......state runnerup, lost to Cincinnati Summit Country Day 53-37
2013: 10-13....sectional runnerup, lost to Wheelersburg 45-42
2014: 19-5.....district runnerup, lost to Lucasville Valley 58-55
2015: 20-7.....regional runnerup, lost to Columbus Eastmoor Academy 49-45
2016: 16-8.....sectional runnerup, lost to Eastern Brown 72-58
2017: 17-8.....district semifinal, lost to South Point 59-42
2018: 16-8.....sectional runnerup, lost to Lynchburg Clay 47-42

Total Record This Decade: 155-64

All told, Portsmouth this decade has a state runnerup, a state semifinal, 3 regional final appearances, and 5 sectional titles. Piketon may have more sectional titles this decade, but has 0 appearances in the regional final, and 0 appearances in the state tournament. The Redstreaks made the Final 4 in 2009, not this decade.

Looking forward to Saturday to watch the D3 district semifinals. Might just sneak up there Thursday to watch the first round of the D2 district.
Trojan Dave, noitall was only talking about this year’s team. Not the teams from the past decade or Ptown’s whole tournament record. So if this year’s team wasn’t “bad” then would maybe “underachievers” be a better description? Especially since you said next season looks like a “rebuilding year”. That usually means they are better this year than what they will be next year.

Personally I hoped they would have won vs Lynchburg Clay. I always enjoy a classic Burg/Portsmouth matchup and the communities do too.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Proud Pirate 63: I know he was talking about this year's team, but this year's team was not "bad"......how in the world is 16-8 "bad"? Many of us Trojan fans and others thought this team would go farther, but losing in the sectional doesn't override a very good 16-8 season. We all know how fickle the tournament is. But to call this team "bad" was unfair to our kids and our coaching staff.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

I agree. That’s why I thought underachievers was a better description. Just like Burg did last year in the tournament. They underachieved on expectations.

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

Trojandave.
I apologize ,I worded it wrong I was just saying this is not the norm for what Portsmouth usually brings to the table I am not from down there but used to seeing Portsmouth fighting to get out of the convoy they ate there mote then anyteam in that part of the state no matter division I have nothing but respect for that program I also know coach C personly and would not bash on him or his kids and you ate correct so many teams would love to have 16 to 17 wins and everyone has to envy the history of Portsmouth basketball. And i have indeed read the programs at Athens , Portsmouth takes up more ink then anyone else .
My apologies to you,your coaches, and kids.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Noitall wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:22 pm Trojandave.
I apologize ,I worded it wrong I was just saying this is not the norm for what Portsmouth usually brings to the table I am not from down there but used to seeing Portsmouth fighting to get out of the convoy they ate there mote then anyteam in that part of the state no matter division I have nothing but respect for that program I also know coach C personly and would not bash on him or his kids and you ate correct so many teams would love to have 16 to 17 wins and everyone has to envy the history of Portsmouth basketball. And i have indeed read the programs at Athens , Portsmouth takes up more ink then anyone else .
My apologies to you,your coaches, and kids.
Good post. This forum could use a bit more of that.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... A 16 win season is now considered a "bad" season ... ONLY 15 teams out of 72 have 16 wins or better in the SE District - pretty darn good company for having a "bad" season ... I have known trojandave a long time , a friendship with trojandave means I have an understanding of what it means to be from "trojan country", I grew up in the shadows of the Portsmouth Trojans ... being a Trojan means that the goal at the beginning of EVERY season, no matter the year, is to make it to the Big Show in C'bus ... any year that the Trojans come up short of THAT goal means "WE" - the TEAM - failed in attaining our goal ... IF you are on this years' Trojan TEAM then you can say it was a "bad" year - since the goal of getting to the state was not reached ... on the outside looking in - 16 wins is a darn good year ...

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

OMG I said I was sorry ,its not how I meant it .

Portsmouth is one of the very few schools down that way that i actually support, they are the ONLY school with the great history they have,everyone else trying to compare their success in the last 8 to 10 years with what Portsmouth has been doing sincethe sixths is laughable, ,,,I've said in sorry what else you want?????

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Noitall wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:05 pm OMG I said I was sorry ,its not how I meant it .

Portsmouth is one of the very few schools down that way that i actually support, they are the ONLY school with the great history they have,everyone else trying to compare their success in the last 8 to 10 years with what Portsmouth has been doing sincethe sixths is laughable, ,,,I've said in sorry what else you want?????
He likes twizzlers

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:08 pm
Noitall wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:05 pm OMG I said I was sorry ,its not how I meant it .

He likes twizzlers
Cherry flavor ? ,in on it lol

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

A 15-7 regular season and 16-8 overall record is a solid season. And for some programs, 16-8 is more of an accomplishment than others.

The real issue is when people predict district championships for a team and they lose in the Sectionals. It draws criticism. Maybe people should let the kids determine their tournament path before predicting regional appearances.

UKNate
Freshman Team

Post by UKNate »

Waverly over Sheridan.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I apologize Noitall - timing is everything and the ability to read means a lot as well ... I made my post without having seen your post above to trojandave ... I know that trojandave and the PHS faithful had higher expectations for this years edition of the blue & red going deeper into the post season ... trojandave is also one to give props to the team that beats his Trojans ... it's all good - trojandave is also the first to start pumping up the youngsters who will be making up next years version of the Trojans as well ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... on a positive note ! I just got my golden ticket to the 3 Weeks of the Convo ! access to the Land of hot dogs & tootsie rolls ! I will do my best to live up to SEOPs expectations in providing game rundowns , Napkin Stats & IMOs after the action at the Convo beginning Thursday Night !!! thanks Mattash !

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:43 pm ... on a positive note ! I just got my golden ticket to the 3 Weeks of the Convo ! access to the Land of hot dogs & tootsie rolls ! I will do my best to live up to SEOPs expectations in providing game rundowns , Napkin Stats & IMOs after the action at the Convo beginning Thursday Night !!! thanks Mattash !

How does one get the golden ticket and how much does it cost?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

1/2 the DIV games are now set

(1) Coal Grove vs (4) Miller - 2:00PM - Sunday
(1) Trimble vs (5) Green - 5:30 - Sunday

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

Looks like my Redstreaks aren’t getting any respect, but what else am I supposed to expect? The last time I checked Piketon was the 1 seed if I looked at it right. I’ll see everyone at the Convo Saturday and as always Onward Piketon !!!!!!!!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Smokyhollowbandit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:31 am Looks like my Redstreaks aren’t getting any respect, but what else am I supposed to expect? The last time I checked Piketon was the 1 seed if I looked at it right. I’ll see everyone at the Convo Saturday and as always Onward Piketon !!!!!!!!!
Don’t worry, Waverly wasn’t even included in the poll as possibly upsetting Sheridan. That’s no respect.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Lol I just randomly picked a few teams. No thought what so ever into the poll!

Return to “Boys Basketball”