sandstorm23
Freshman Team

2018/19 Gallia Academy Blue Devils

Post by sandstorm23 »

Please post:
  • Schedule
  • Roster with #/Name/Height/Year
  • Outlook

Any thoughts on the upcoming team? Can this team win the district and beyond?

Have the rumors died down recently about Loveday going to a prep school? I'd really hate to see him leave the area, but I understand he's gotta do what's best for him and his future. By my count, Loveday has been offered by tOSU, Xavier, Purdue, WVU, Florida, Stanford and Indiana. That's an impressive list to say the least.

I can't wait for this team to take the next step this year and run through the OVC and compete for multiple victories at the Convo.

Anyone care to predict the starting lineup with heights and grade?

Sports101
Freshman Team

Re: 2018/2019 Gallia Academy Blue Devils

Post by Sports101 »

Will go far with at least 3 county kids in the lineup

sandstorm23
Freshman Team

Post by sandstorm23 »

Sports101 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:53 am Will go far with at least 3 county kids in the lineup
That's disappointing....I wish RV could keep them.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Why would he leave with all them offers ? Plus they said they played up North over the week end ! They will come to you at 7'2" point blank !

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

That's true, but it could be about more exposure or just overall improvement. You do get better by playing better competition, which sadly, SE Ohio doesn't really do.

I'd rather see him stay, but I totally get why he wouldn't.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Hopefully Loveday will stay at GAHS. If he does, the Blue Devils absolutely should expect to make the regionals in D2. I told Coach Harrison that at the Rio Grande shootout. Notice I said "expect". The bar should be high at GAHS in 2018-2019.

DMUP
Riding the Bench

Post by DMUP »

Don’t believe he goes anywhere. Lifetime Devil has other areas he’s involved with other than basketball Zero risk of him leaving imo. But at least this has some validity. He’s got the frame to go to some prep school. Someone mentioned why would he go to a prep school ? They will come to you. That’s true but if you have what you have it’s fair to say he’s got a shot at the nba simply due to his frame. But he must improve not only his skill but he needs to add muscle/weight. Top Prep school that has trainers , skill development etc. would make sense. Do you worry about yourself and your future or the team ? You could argue He’s wrong either way. But I’d say he stays personally I’m sure Gary is developing him and parents have additional trainers too.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Is he really 7’2?

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

How many NBA players played their HS basketball from SE Ohio?

Kid sounds like he a legit shot, recruited by big D1's, developed at that level over the course of several years and then drafted.

Have there been others?

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

I'm calling it now, GA will finish with at least 18 wins, tie for the conference championship, and not make it to Regionals. Their lineup is great but their coaching staff not so much. Every close game they had last year on the road or playing a team with grit (i.e., Coal Grove and Fairfield-Union) beat them. That eventually has to fall on the staff. Ray Charles could coach this GA group to OVC championship and GA might not be able to do that with the staff they have in place.

Prep Expert
Freshman Team

Post by Prep Expert »

Sports101 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:53 am Will go far with at least 3 county kids in the lineup
Not sure why any county kid would play at River Valley or South Gallia. Those are 2 of the worst gymnasiums in Southeastern Ohio. Gallia Academy has one of the top gymnasiums in Southeastern Ohio. It also seems like River Valley has a new coach each season.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Prep Expert wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:37 pm
Not sure why any county kid would play at River Valley or South Gallia. Those are 2 of the worst gymnasiums in Southeastern Ohio. Gallia Academy has one of the top gymnasiums in Southeastern Ohio. It also seems like River Valley has a new coach each season.
Sometimes kids and families are greatly loyal to their school and district 🤷🏻‍♂️. I’ve welcomed each and every kid who has came to Jackson, play hard and represent and I won’t stop cheering and congratulating....but my kid isn’t leaving Jackson for any reason. He might be a #8 player as a senior on a 20-4 team or he might be the second best player on a 4-18 team, doesn’t matter he’s staying right here. I have no qualms with anyone that transfers but to answer your question...not everyone is the same.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

95% of college recruiting is done in AAU. So where he plays his high school ball not as important. Loveday has division 1 potential but any coordinated 7’1” kid does.

I think every D1 program recruiting him realizes he is a project. A lot of the schools recruiting him not pushing prep schools because they would like to red shirt him and he seems fine with that route. Kid has a lot of other interests then just basketball and is enjoying being a kid.

As far as team goes. I wish they could toughen up schedule a little more they have added Logan. But still have a couple other games I would like to see them trade out of. 2 river valley games and 2 Point Pleasant games not helping you at all.

Otherwise what this team I think needs to get to the districts is to find a key d to play the 4 spot. Because you need a little more then 4 outside shooters. And a big guy.

Defensively I would like to me to see this team turn it up a notch put the big guy on the back of that press and just go at it.

I have no idea who is playing basketball this year but if none of them quit what you might have 8 or 9 seniors and Loveday a junior and blouse a junior...

I would like to see some of those kids get minuets but we will just have to see how it pans out.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

95% of college recruiting is done in AAU. So where he plays his high school ball not as important. Loveday has division 1 potential but any coordinated 7’1” kid does.

I think every D1 program recruiting him realizes he is a project. A lot of the schools recruiting him not pushing prep schools because they would like to red shirt him and he seems fine with that route. Kid has a lot of other interests then just basketball and is enjoying being a kid.

As far as team goes. I wish they could toughen up schedule a little more they have added Logan. But still have a couple other games I would like to see them trade out of. 2 river valley games and 2 Point Pleasant games not helping you at all.

Otherwise what this team I think needs to get to the districts is to find a key d to play the 4 spot. Because you need a little more then 4 outside shooters. And a big guy.

Defensively I would like to me to see this team turn it up a notch put the big guy on the back of that press and just go at it.

I have no idea who is playing basketball this year but if none of them quit what you might have 8 or 9 seniors and Loveday a junior and blouse a junior...

I would like to see some of those kids get minuets but we will just have to see how it pans out.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Any new faces on the Devils team ?

sportzfan
Waterboy

Post by sportzfan »

I agree that GA is the odds on favorite to win the OVC. It is hard to argue that the 7'2" Loveday shouldn't push GA to the top in this league. Beyond that, how far they go in the playoffs is well within unknown. I remember the last 4 years the Fairland Dragons were hyped to win state, especially the last 2 years of the "golden group" playing together. Things happen! They never reached the promise land. I wont believe the hype about Loveday until he proves it. He certainly has the ability to be that player to dominate teams depending on how the team is coached and how other players play around him. I hope they don't fall into the trap of believing their own hyped before they win anything. GA fans have all the right to be excited for this coming season. One game at a time young bloods.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

How true !

sportzfan
Waterboy

Post by sportzfan »

Geronimo wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:17 pmHow true !
Thanks Geronimo, you get what I'm laying down.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think a lot of people from the outside see the attention to loveday as much more hope then local people. Almost all lovedays offer are because of the promise he shows. Any kid that is 7’1” and coordinated has a lot of potential.
But people that think because he is ranked so highly people think the blue devils should dominate.

But I haven’t heard. Of one offer that loveday has gotten that the coach hasn’t said if possible they would like to resldshirt him. I mean this kid is gone no to be a 16 year old junior. He is not a19 year old senior. Most people think he needs a lot of work and still to add close to 60 lbs. then I still think he is a project that you hope reaches that potential.

Loveday is not a gym rat. He still plays in the band and loves to hunt and fish and do all kinds of things he is enjoying being a kid. Let’s let him be one. He realizes in a year or so. He will have different responsibilities and expectations. Look I think him and this team can be really good.

But in reality you have loveday and blousier on this squad that are basketball players besides that you just have a bunch of athletes. Who all of them right now are preparing for what should be a pretty good football year. And a sport that many of these kids are more committed to then basketball.

I think they should be very good barring football injuries but this team by no means is a juggernaut.

Return to “Boys Basketball”