Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Pre Season 2018-19

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Pre Season 2018-19

Post by pfloyd »

I'm getting antsy ! I just filled out my napkin stats sheets for the first 7 games on the Pfloyd Tour ... lots of work to be done in the next 9 days by all of the TEAMS Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... fine tuning before opening night games ... teams finishing out their preseason scrimmage schedules ... heck Oak Hill is entertaining Gallia Academy as I post in their Foundation Game tonight ! - look forward to reading the rundowns on this one tonight ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... as I posted I'm antsy - went through the pfloyd tour for the first 2 weeks 11/30 - 12/15 ... I will have put eyes on 5 of my pre-season Elite 8 teams , 10 of my top 15 teams , 14 of my top 25 pre-season picks ... 19 different teams from Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line in the first 2 weeks of the season - a good start !!! the total may jump to 21 as Vinton County vs Alexander is standing out as a must see game for me as well ... love this time of the year !

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Fresh off football season, Sheridan defeated Newark this evening in a foundation game. Pretty impressive for the Generals.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bman wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:49 pm Fresh off football season, Sheridan defeated Newark this evening in a foundation game. Pretty impressive for the Generals.

... Sheridan was in my thinking for the #1 spot in the rankings back in October - so much returning talent, size , depth BUT even with seemingly everything I kept seeing in my mind the lack of the ability to handle pressure on the perimeter - I saw it last year the 3 times I saw them prior to their district matchup with Waverly and then predicted that the Tigers perimeter pressure would be a problem for Sheridan (Waverly won going away with a 50-23 second half vs SHS turning the Generals over 12 times in the last 2 qtrs) ... IF Sheridan can take care of the ball vs pressure/quickness on the perimeter I can see them as a contender for the #1 spot - THEY ARE GOOD ! THEIR JV's WERE GOOD - undefeated last season ... Sheridan will be a handful all season and may run the table in the regular season ... the are that good with the lefty Ethan Heller leading the way as literally & figuratively the Floor General at the PG position ...

... bman - Newark usually has lots of quickness on the perimeter - maybe Heller & Co. has upped their game - handling pressure/taking care of the ball ... looking forward to seeing Sheridan this season for sure ...

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Our High School BB started this week and our team won there first game. Football playoffs have one game in each division left.
Teams are allowed so many freedom games outside the regions they are assigned, make for some cool ball here.
Here is hoping the Trojans surprise this year and rock the house..

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

9 days until we tip it off !

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:26 pm 9 days until we tip it off !
I will be in Jims Gym on the 30 th . I will have a snicker with me in case I need to change back to someone else . Lol Logan has some really good popcorn. The old Ford is gassed up and ready to rumble . Do you expect a big crowd ? Are we excited or what?

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:00 pm ... had to circumvent a Lancaster parade road block - trying to keep pfloyd from seeing any basketball before the regular season - to get to Lancaster High School to watch Coach Stiverson/Coach Holbert's Logan Elm Braves take on the Gales of LHS ... no napkin stats, only general observations - I watched and smiled as LE did what you come to expect from a Coach Stiverson/Coach Holbert TEAM - fundamentals, man to man D mixed with a good zone at times ... the youngin's are sophs now, the sophs are juniors ... I was sitting in the stands thinking these KIDS ALREADY have 23 varsity games under their belts ! they will have in the neighborhood of 48 or so varsity games by the time they are SUPPOSED TO BE ready for the varsity ! ... LE = fundmental basketball, high BB IQ players, 4-5 ball handlers, 4-5 three point scorers, 4-5 players who attack the rim ... LE took 4 quarters while Lancaster picked up 2 (the first & 5 th quarters) ... Logan Elm has very little size - will need the size they do have to get tougher in the paint, neither big looks to score down low ... the Braves will be a handful ! ... They seem to lack that hard nosed inside presence - they will miss a Cody Anderson who I thought did an outstanding job bringing along the bench full of youngsters last season with his floor leadership ...

... I smiled the whole time as I saw the fundamentals I like to see - crisp perimeter passing, dribble drives to the rim, perimeter scoring , defensive technique that takes a back seat to no one - bodies on offensive players, redirecting in the paint with bodies/hands , defense leading to transition buckets , quick hands in the passing lanes - ALL are expected when watching a Stiverson/Holbert LE squad ...

Lancaster ? they had the size advantage over LE - it looked like one big not in uniform/on a stationary bike - a couple of perimeter scorers but nothing special ... LHS didn't handle perimeter pressure well - picked a number of times for transition points by LE ... LE was effective in trapping in the 3/4 court ... LHS doesn't have much speed ... will be interesting to see how Logan does vs the Gales or how the Gales do vs Logan ...

... I feel better HEARING THE SQUEAKING OF SHOES/SEEING fundamental basketball ... all is good again ...
LE will be a force next year and the year after . Coach Stiverson always coaches up his teams and he has some good talent.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

7 days until tip off !!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Info from the U vs Hillsboro scrimmage this morning says that both teams played evenly throughout the scrimmage (all quarters within a bucket for either team) ... Hillsboro will be better than the rankings in the preseason with solid play all around and lots of good "adjectives" to describe the play of Josh Keets for the 'boro ... Hillsboro will be on the pfloyd committee of one - me - radar ... thanks daniC for the rundown ...

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Went to the SVC Preview tonight and if the SVC teams can stay out of foul trouble, they should be alright for most of the season, but once you get into any of the benches (besides Piketon and Unioto) things could get to be hairy.

Nobody but Piketon showed anything and I’m not even sure if I’d say that they showed anything besides constant pressure and Blanton being really good.

I can’t wait until next Friday!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Warren 94
Nelsonville York 42 a final

... ouch, a foundation game "W" for Coach Maddox & the Warren Warriors ... the BBB from Barlow are getting ready for their season opener on the 30th with Marietta ...

River Road Rascal
Waterboy

Post by River Road Rascal »

HamPorter wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:16 pm Went to the SVC Preview tonight and if the SVC teams can stay out of foul trouble, they should be alright for most of the season, but once you get into any of the benches (besides Piketon and Unioto) things could get to be hairy.

Nobody but Piketon showed anything and I’m not even sure if I’d say that they showed anything besides constant pressure and Blanton being really good.

Just parked my rascal after the long hull from Williamsfort.Seems like I wuznt as far off as some thought I was! My beloved Redstreaks looked durn good! Started the game on a 26-0 run; Alex Blanton finished with 14pts and 4 steals in a 45-11 showing in 2 quarters...so who said this team gonna have problems scorin? Saw where coaches voted Piketon #6....is Ross county that biased?

“All fun and games til your scarf wraps up in your spokes on your rascal, then it’s just alfalfa”-RRR

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

River Road Rascal wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:25 am
HamPorter wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:16 pm Went to the SVC Preview tonight and if the SVC teams can stay out of foul trouble, they should be alright for most of the season, but once you get into any of the benches (besides Piketon and Unioto) things could get to be hairy.

Just parked my rascal after the long hull from Williamsfort.Seems like I wuznt as far off as some thought I was! My beloved Redstreaks looked durn good! Started the game on a 26-0 run; Alex Blanton finished with 14pts and 4 steals in a 45-11 showing in 2 quarters...so who said this team gonna have problems scorin? Saw where coaches voted Piketon #6....is Ross county that biased?

“All fun and games til your scarf wraps up in your spokes on your rascal, then it’s just alfalfa”-RRR
Settle down coach it’s just a preview.

Didn’t get a chance to go last night but sounds like you guys did have a couple solid qtrs. Good luck to you guys this year.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Anyone go to the TVC preview? I had to work so didn’t get to go

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

mlittle wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:13 am
River Road Rascal wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:25 am

Settle down coach it’s just a preview.

Didn’t get a chance to go last night but sounds like you guys did have a couple solid qtrs. Good luck to you guys this year.
Unioto lost by 25 to Huntington in the preview the year that they went 26-1.

Piketon looked very good and Westfall looked very bad. Everyone else just played with random rotations/line changes. You could see the lack of depth in some schools and a couple of teams didn’t have key players suited up. It’s a preview, it literally means nothing.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Previews are just a way to "present" the teams ... scores mean nothing ... BUT as a cheap seat guy you watch for the basketball talent, the fundamentals on both ends by teams & individuals ...

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Does Logan play Gallia this season?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Geronimo wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:28 am Does Logan play Gallia this season?

Gallia Academy comes to Jim's Gym @ Logan High School on 12/28/18 ... if my top 2 team hold serve it will be the Preseason #1 Logan vs #2 Gallia Academy ...

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

How many starters back for Logan ?

Return to “Boys Basketball”