Pike County Holiday Classic

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Pike County Holiday Classic

Post by smurray »

EPN wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:10 pm As an Eastern Eagle fan I would really hate to see the classic go away, I look forward to this event every year, for the players , fans ,coaches it’s just an awesome time for pike county basketball. I am not sure on the money aspect of all of it , but I would have to think it is a minimal loss , if any at all, definitely not worth not participating in it. I haven’t heard anything about Eastern not wanting to participate next year or beyond, win or lose it is a great 2 days of basketball, I hope it continues for a longtime .
👍

Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

I am not sure how many Western holds, but I can tell you that there are more then enough seats in that gym. Western has one of the nicest facilities around when it comes to basketball with a lot of seating included. I for one love it at the downtown gym, and I believe the only school that would struggle to hold up on the rotation would be eastern due to their seating capacity.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Western 24, no way western’s gym is big enough to hold this event , that’s silly. Piketons gym might be the closest, but even it in my opinion is not big enough , waverly’s gym is centrally located and is the best place to hold the classic.... The holiday classic is a great event people , let’s not mess with a good thing!!!

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

Western24 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:28 pm I am not sure how many Western holds, but I can tell you that there are more then enough seats in that gym. Western has one of the nicest facilities around when it comes to basketball with a lot of seating included. I for one love it at the downtown gym, and I believe the only school that would struggle to hold up on the rotation would be eastern due to their seating capacity.
Actually eastern is filling the mezzanine with seats for the SOC2 jump. Not sure how many additional that will be but it will be a nice addition.

The jump to SOC2 has everyone a little dumbfounded. There is a talented group of younger players coming up but will they be as good as this senior class leaving? We will see. Kids are growing. Getting stronger and faster. So time will tell.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

The tournament as displayed on the jumbotron indicated it was the Pike County Holiday Classic, not the Waverly Holiday Classic.

Now, I’ve never played in it, but I don’t get what the big deal it is playing in Waverly. The other county schools should be given the opportunity to host it, just as they do the girls tournament. And I also don’t know why Waverly does their hall of fame during a county tournament. If it was a county hall of fame, that would be one thing. But it’s not.

Oh well, on to the rest of the season.

nodumpinpike
Riding the Bench

Post by nodumpinpike »

Who cares.. I just enjoy watching some good local basketball. The Hall of Fame isn’t a big deal to me either. I personally know a lot of the inductees and enjoyed seeing them get recognized for their achievements. Wish our school would do the same. #gostreaks!!

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

Who cares about the split? This tourney is something the kids look forward to playing in and people enjoy going to and watching. It wouldn't be the same if it wasnt held in the down town arena.

OSU Alumni 2000
Riding the Bench

Post by OSU Alumni 2000 »

The tournament definitely wouldn't be the same if it were held at another school. The Downtown Arena has a whole different atmosphere.

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

The other three schools always seem ok with the check they receive so it must at least be close to what they make at a normal home game. Arguing about that is just silly.

The hall of fame stuff takes 15 minutes, so I don’t think it is an issue either.

Leave the classic alone it is a great thing for the community. Adults on here complaining about everything is just ridiculous. Just enjoy the tournament each year.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

For the Record - Piketon, Eastern and Western only have 10 home games this year. (school websites) So the idea that these schools make out financially is ridiculous.

The adults on this topic talk about how nice the Classic is because they get to see their buddies. On the flip side I would be interested in what the players think. (Posters do not get on here and speak for the players)

Eagles73Taylor, you bring out a great point. Why would Waverly not play you on your court. You make a lot of money for them in the Classic. Has Waverly ever played Western or Eastern on the road?

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

No reason to fix what isn’t broke. This is a traditional tournament and making money off high school kids shouldn’t be an argument either way.

Scrap the tournament if they want but then each team should schedule each other. Rivalries are part of sports. Pike Count has a lot of folks that stick around after graduation. These games live on forever.

Western and Piketon also benefit from playing two games where they will play the sectional tournament.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

AnkleBraces wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:42 pm No reason to fix what isn’t broke. This is a traditional tournament and making money off high school kids shouldn’t be an argument either way.

Scrap the tournament if they want but then each team should schedule each other. Rivalries are part of sports. Pike Count has a lot of folks that stick around after graduation. These games live on forever.

Western and Piketon also benefit from playing two games where they will play the sectional tournament.
Good final point

Return to “Boys Basketball”