Best young coaches?

anonymousbball
Waterboy

Best young coaches?

Post by anonymousbball »

Who are some of the best young coaches in our area? JV, assistants, coaches who may be on the rise. Feel free to drop some names!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Best young coaches?

Post by Ironman92 »

Varsity:

Connor Scott at Washington is doing a fine job. Not sure his age but guessing late 20’s.

Huffer at Chillicothe
Morrow at Jackson

I still consider those guys young coaches

I thought the Unioto freshman coach did a good job.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

I think once Garrick Tiny Anderson gets in some more time with his system at Clay they’ll be very successful longterm.

Others of note
Kyle Miller assistant at Waverly
Mark Hannah girls assistant at Waverly
Tyler Jimison at Western JV
Connor Scott at Courthouse
Dirk Hollar at Green
Len Collins at Portsmouth

I’m sure I’ve missed some .

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Connor Scott is 26.

Grad in 11 from South Webster. Coached by Steven Ater

Grad in 15 from Cedarville. Coached by Patrick Estepp

2 years at Chillicothe as freshmen then JV coach. Mentored by Eric Huffer.

1 year at SWHS as Varsity Assistant. Mentored by Brenton Cole. Also by Brett Roberts and Marc Kreischer who were very kind and helpful.

So a lot of South Webster influence (Estepp is a SW grad too) Mix in some Ater/Persin and Some Huffer/Chillicothe influence.

Then to be successful you have to have support from your infrastructure. AD Mark Bihl and all of the administration have been top shelf. Senior heavy lineup who were primed and ready to show last year was behind them. Good assistants who have no egos. Can’t say how much his assistants have meant to him. Former coach who still is in the building and who has been helpful and not a hindrance — mature enough to not undermine the new coach. It takes all of it.

Max Morrow at Jackson is engineering something that should not be overlooked. When is the last time you thought of Jackson and successful basketball program in the same sentence? His structure around him is incredible as well.

The Fairfield Union Coach would be one I would put at the top of the list. 2 years ago I did some advance scouting for Chillicothe. Coach Huffer Sent me on a mission and I was bound and determined to bring him back the roadmap to defeating Fairfield Union. 2nd quarter of the first game I scouted I knew the answer. If you did A then his offense did B. If you did B then his offense did C. —- we can take this further down the alphabet if you want but you get my point. His offense had an on the spot answer to what you tried to shade or take away ! I knew Bloom Carroll was well coached - same league - 2nd meeting - and there was no answer to be found by the BC coaching staff. Now, you have to have smart kids and the pieces which he did but still .,.. so I went back to Coach Huffer with the answer! Uh Coach ... um well ... if I were you I would work on my offense because defensively you won’t stop them. So I believe you need to outscore them.

I’m a genius. :-).

Btw Logan Elm was in the House last night. Coach Stiverson probably just misses the young and upcoming coaches category. We will return the favor and see him in Amanda tonight. I look forward to watching Washington v Logan Elm Tuesday night or 1/29 in Court House. As a father it’s exciting to see Connor at his age compete and coach against people like Coach Stiverson. Then we play Greenfield and Coach Stewart — Vinton County And Coach Combs And Unioto And Coach Hoops in succession. Fun stuff

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Kyle Miller-Waverly assistant
Max Morrow-Jackson HC
Travis Hale-Eastern Pike assistant
Connor Scott-Wash CH HC
Dirk Hollar-Green HC
Eric Horton-Valley HC
Evan Legg-Piketon HC
Tiny Anderson-Clay HC

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I don’t consider Travis Hale a young coach but he has coached many years of JV and has many many successful seasons.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:40 pm I don’t consider Travis Hale a young coach but he has coached many years of JV and has many many successful seasons.
I see where you are coming from,I do however consider him a fairly Young coach..in comparison to others in area.

Travel_ball
Waterboy

Post by Travel_ball »

Adam Cox New Boston
Anderson Clay

BlueDuck
Riding the Bench

Post by BlueDuck »

Extremely impressed with what I've seen from Kyle Bradley at Adena the past 2 years.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Eric Henniger Fort Frye in his 7th season.
2001 Fort Frye grad, and three sport star.
Took over as head coach when Dan Liedtke went from coaching boys and girls to doing girls only.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Travis Wise- South Point
Zack Jenkins- South point

THEConvoK9
Waterboy

Post by THEConvoK9 »

Cory McKnight , Ironton

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

What are we calling young? I Believe coach Arey has been Coaching for 8 years now. Maybe 9. He has been very successful thru this years. How many years have Barrick and Stormin' Norman been coaching?I do consider coach Arey to be young.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Be careful who you crown too early. Tough profession. Let them do something special first. Good luck to all !

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

What is the age requirement here? Coach Arey is a fine coach, but he's already had two different sons graduate high school. Cox is what, 40+?

Are we talking 30 and under? 40 and under?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Could it be that Len Collins of Portsmouth could succeed his father, Eugene, one day?........Just thinking.........

joemama
Riding the Bench

Post by joemama »

What constitutes a "good" coach? .500 record? Team is OK? Or win a league title? Sectional title? I mean....

EnglishBulldog
Waterboy

Post by EnglishBulldog »

Jonathan Thompson at Federal Hocking. He and his staff has that team playing alot better than they have in years, record might not show it but if you have been to any of the games you will have seen the difference

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

Travel_ball wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:10 pm Adam Cox New Boston
Anderson Clay
Don’t know if cox is one of the best young coaches around but he’s seems to be one of the best recruiters around reguargless of age or experience.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

TTT

Return to “Boys Basketball”