Wheelersburg @ Waverly, Friday, 2/1/19

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: Wheelersburg @ Waverly, Friday, 2/1/19

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:09 pm As a neutral observer last night I thought the officiating was fine.

I said this last night and I will repeat it. The only thing that made me shake my head is that after the 3rd quarter burg had 7 fouls and Waverly had 1. The 7 for Burg were fine. The 1 for Waverly was a little of allowing the team down by 20 to get away with a little more. You see this often. The refs are league assigned. It was a good crew.

I will also say this. Holden gets O favors. They beat on him most of the night and rightfully so — not saying I wouldn’t do the same thing if I was coaching Waverly or against Burg cause I absolutely would — but the refs allow him to get roughed up a little more then I would expect. You would think he would get preferential treatment because of his ability or possibly be treated like everyone else by a good crew. I’ve seen it lean the other way a little. He definitely does not get the star treatment.

It’s interesting that sometimes in this area we tend to eat our own a little. We’ve been fortunate to have him and his talent in the SouthEast district and most not from Wheelersburg— in my opinion — seem to be very quick to look for a reason to not like him. Put that kid in the Columbus or Youngstown/Akron area and he’s appreciated. It reminds me of the old guard major leaguers who treasure the unwritten rules of the game and at the same time wonder why the country is moving away from it.
It's funny you mention this because I sat on the visitors side behind some Minford people and they spent pretty much the entire game trash talking about Tanner. Every time he missed a shot or did something wrong they had a smart alec comment like "Superstar" or "D1 my a@&!". This about a kid that dropped 31 on them in route to a blowout win.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Two things you can always count on when reading a burg thread 1. They will always be putting the other team down and not giving any credit.2. never fails they always get screwed by refs even in blow outs. This team is undefeated and every single game the refs suck or they would have won by 40 instead of 30

Transparent
Waterboy

Post by Transparent »

Pinky wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:45 pm Two things you can always count on when reading a burg thread 1. They will always be putting the other team down and not giving any credit.2. never fails they always get screwed by refs even in blow outs. This team is undefeated and every single game the refs suck or they would have won by 40 instead of 30
Good post. Funny how some program success makes their fan base much more knowledgeable than others and officials. Next time you see "woody" or any other official you don't like I dare you to tell them to their face. Bet you don't because they have a set to even get out there and try it and you clowns have enough courage to hide behind usernames. Kudos to officials, I couldn't and wouldn't do it, but I also won't take cheap shots at a guy doing his best. So continue your little circus of nonsense. Its quite entertaining.

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

Yeah, that game was too big for Schwarzel... :roll:

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:59 pm
LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:09 pm As a neutral observer last night I thought the officiating was fine.

I said this last night and I will repeat it. The only thing that made me shake my head is that after the 3rd quarter burg had 7 fouls and Waverly had 1. The 7 for Burg were fine. The 1 for Waverly was a little of allowing the team down by 20 to get away with a little more. You see this often. The refs are league assigned. It was a good crew.

I will also say this. Holden gets O favors. They beat on him most of the night and rightfully so — not saying I wouldn’t do the same thing if I was coaching Waverly or against Burg cause I absolutely would — but the refs allow him to get roughed up a little more then I would expect. You would think he would get preferential treatment because of his ability or possibly be treated like everyone else by a good crew. I’ve seen it lean the other way a little. He definitely does not get the star treatment.

It’s interesting that sometimes in this area we tend to eat our own a little. We’ve been fortunate to have him and his talent in the SouthEast district and most not from Wheelersburg— in my opinion — seem to be very quick to look for a reason to not like him. Put that kid in the Columbus or Youngstown/Akron area and he’s appreciated. It reminds me of the old guard major leaguers who treasure the unwritten rules of the game and at the same time wonder why the country is moving away from it.

Very good post! My question is does Blevins at SW get treated like that? He’s a pretty high profile player. Like I said earlier you don’t see that kind of Bumping in street ball, at least not in the 25 plus years I played. No way it should go on in organized ball. I remember Andrew Burledon’s Junior at Burg, they played Belpre in the District final and they put a guy that was around 5’11” on him and he did everything but undress Burleson that night. Guess who one of the officials was? Mr. Schwartzel.

I’m sure Tanner can’t wait to get to college where, like you said he will be appreciated.
I think it just that refs around here don't know how to call games that have guys 6'5" or taller. It like they feel the need to even out the size advantage or something by letting teams pound on the bigs while blowing their whistles when the bigs breathe on someone. I see it all the way down to the junior high/biddy league levels where bigs are just held to a different standard by the refs. It frustrating, but I've just gotten used to it over the years.

As for this game, statement win for Burg. Don't care about state rankings or undefeated regular season, only question is can they handle Harvest Prep?*

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Nice to see officials getting on here and defending there own. Way to stick together guys

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Pinky wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:45 pm Two things you can always count on when reading a burg thread 1. They will always be putting the other team down and not giving any credit.2. never fails they always get screwed by refs even in blow outs. This team is undefeated and every single game the refs suck or they would have won by 40 instead of 30
Two things you can always count on from other people that aren’t Burg fans on a thread

1. They believe other fan bases have so much more etiquette and sportsmanship

2. They only choose what they want to read in the thread

The officials weren’t consistent in the second half and they did allow waverly to beat up Holden, but they also let burg pound on a few too. There was once when Holden stole the ball ad the kid literally grabbed his ankle and they called a common foul. Should have been an intentional. I don’t care if burg was up 50. You don’t change how you call a game. You see it in girls games a lot. Officials have to have thick skin. I don’t believe that officials are out to get kids, programs, or coaches but I do believe they can have off nights or inconsistent games, which was the case in this one.

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

art_vandelay wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:19 am

Very good post! My question is does Blevins at SW get treated like that? He’s a pretty high profile player. Like I said earlier you don’t see that kind of Bumping in street ball, at least not in the 25 plus years I played. No way it should go on in organized ball. I remember Andrew Burledon’s Junior at Burg, they played Belpre in the District final and they put a guy that was around 5’11” on him and he did everything but undress Burleson that night. Guess who one of the officials was? Mr. Schwartzel.

I’m sure Tanner can’t wait to get to college where, like you said he will be appreciated.
I think it just that refs around here don't know how to call games that have guys 6'5" or taller. It like they feel the need to even out the size advantage or something by letting teams pound on the bigs while blowing their whistles when the bigs breathe on someone. I see it all the way down to the junior high/biddy league levels where bigs are just held to a different standard by the refs. It frustrating, but I've just gotten used to it over the years.

As for this game, statement win for Burg. Don't care about state rankings or undefeated regular season, only question is can they handle Harvest Prep?*
Burg just needs to worry about making it out of the Jackson sectional that's not going to be no cake walk! It's going to be loaded with talent

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Please ,do any of you on here know how many big games the ref in question here does a year ?

He does much bigger games then the mighty burg lmoa burg is a great team around here but some of YOU all give them a bad rep with all the whining esp when you are 17-0

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Pinky wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:29 pm Please ,do any of you on here know how many big games the ref in question here does a year ?

He does much bigger games then the mighty burg lmoa burg is a great team around here but some of YOU all give them a bad rep with all the whining esp when you are 17-0
What does lmoa mean? And who cares what level he does or has done. Fouls are fouls. Travels are travels. The best officials are the ones who are rarely heard of.

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Typo ,but MOST people would figure it out :)

Have a good day ,I don't stress people trying to play spell police to belittle others that can't spell .

Thank you sir

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

wobycat wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:32 pm
Pinky wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:29 pm Please ,do any of you on here know how many big games the ref in question here does a year ?

What does lmoa mean? And who cares what level he does or has done. Fouls are fouls. Travels are travels. The best officials are the ones who are rarely heard of.
Not hard to get a license , anyone can do it to help with the overload

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Schartzel is the best ref in the area by a mile

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:01 pm Schartzel is the best ref in the area by a mile
He’s the best and worst at the same time. You know he’s going to call an outstanding game, but he’s going to be swarmy and ridiculously cocky towards everything at the same time. He’ll also let everybody know that he’s above calling high school games and that’s he’s only doing it as a gift to everyone who came to watch him.

With that said, give me him and John Evans for any big game.

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:01 pm Schartzel is the best ref in the area by a mile
I agree !!not even close

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

HamPorter wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:17 pm
He’s the best and worst at the same time. You know he’s going to call an outstanding game, but he’s going to be swarmy and ridiculously cocky towards everything at the same time. He’ll also let everybody know that he’s above calling high school games and that’s he’s only doing it as a gift to everyone who came to watch him.

With that said, give me him and John Evans for any big game.
Swarmy and ridiculously cocky? I didn’t know he was from Wheelersburg. He must be because that is how all of us from The Burg are portrayed on this site. 😂😂😂

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Pinky wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:36 pm

I have officiated. Did it when I went to college. There were days I was good and some days I wasn’t. Wasn’t afraid to admit it. I’m not going to praise some guys jock strap because he officiates at high levels. Most guys who work high levels have to kiss butt to get there anyway. He may be the best official in the area but the game between burg and Waverly was inconsistent. That’s the worse officiating.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:42 am
art_vandelay wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:19 am

Burg just needs to worry about making it out of the Jackson sectional that's not going to be no cake walk! It's going to be loaded with talent
I’ll bet any amount they get out of Jackson

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

wobycat wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:48 pm

I have officiated. Did it when I went to college. There were days I was good and some days I wasn’t. Wasn’t afraid to admit it. I’m not going to praise some guys jock strap because he officiates at high levels. Most guys who work high levels have to kiss butt to get there anyway. He may be the best official in the area but the game between burg and Waverly was inconsistent. That’s the worse officiating.

Honestly thought Jenkins made bad calls ,but I guess it's all in how you look at it .

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Pinky wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:03 pm
wobycat wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:48 pm

Honestly thought Jenkins made bad calls ,but I guess it's all in how you look at it .
Where was Jenkins even mentioned?

Return to “Boys Basketball”