Ironton v Ironton St. Joseph

mattash
Site Admin

Ironton v Ironton St. Joseph

Post by mattash »

Why dont they play? Would be a big gate home and home series.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Re: Ironton v Ironton St. Joseph

Post by mattash »

Competitive game too

Michael Scott
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Interesting.

All the pressure on the big brother

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

mattash wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:31 pm Competitive game too
Might be competitive this year with St. Joe being pretty good, but would it be year after year ? Agree about the gate though.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

St Joe is decent this year. But usually that’s not the case. I think they fit in well in the SOC1 with eastern gone. They just happen to have joined while New Boston is loaded.

Ironton vs St Joe might be a good game 2/10 games per decade.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

ISJ has a solid team this year and and a solid Junior class. What people dont understand is our numbers do not support playing bigger schools year in year out. There is only maybe less than 50/55 kids in the High School. While this year the game would be close the numbers doesn't support that being the case down the road. Hope the Flyers continue to play as well as they have so far. GO FLYERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Even if they take an L 8 out of 10 times it would be a great atmosphere.

Even if 1 game a year and alternate.

Cincinnati v Xavier

Michael Scott
BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:37 am ISJ has a solid team this year and and a solid Junior class. What people dont understand is our numbers do not support playing bigger schools year in year out. There is only maybe less than 50/55 kids in the High School. While this year the game would be close the numbers doesn't support that being the case down the road. Hope the Flyers continue to play as well as they have so far. GO FLYERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is an excellent post. I don't know all of the high school numbers but I do know a few. The senior class has 6 total students. That is 4 boys and 2 girls in the entire senior class. I think the junior class has 13 total students. Maybe 3 girls and 10 boys. With that said, you have a total a 19 students in the upper two grades. I know the sophomore class is bigger than the junior class but not by much.

TheFlyingDutchman is right. SJ's numbers pretty much show that they are playing a "bigger" school every game, every night, in pretty much every sport. It would be a tall order to expect them to compete against many big schools night in and night out.

The comment that ISJ could compete with Ironton maybe 2 out of 10 years is probably accurate. It would really take one of ISJ's best teams to complete against what Ironton would consider to be a mediocre team for ISJ to have a legitimate shot at a competitive game.

The idea is a great one in theory but my opinion is that Ironton has absolutely nothing to gain playing against ISJ regularly. While the gate could be good, Ironton could find better matchups in terms of a good gate. Plus, ISJ would have everything to gain in that matchup while Ironton would have everything to lose as far as winning versus losing.

Flyers58
Freshman Team

Post by Flyers58 »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:37 am ISJ has a solid team this year and and a solid Junior class. What people dont understand is our numbers do not support playing bigger schools year in year out. There is only maybe less than 50/55 kids in the High School. While this year the game would be close the numbers doesn't support that being the case down the road. Hope the Flyers continue to play as well as they have so far. GO FLYERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Post.....lots of good facts in what you are saying............

Flyers58
Freshman Team

Post by Flyers58 »

BlindWhiteHat wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:13 am
This is an excellent post. I don't know all of the high school numbers but I do know a few. The senior class has 6 total students. That is 4 boys and 2 girls in the entire senior class. I think the junior class has 13 total students. Maybe 3 girls and 10 boys. With that said, you have a total a 19 students in the upper two grades. I know the sophomore class is bigger than the junior class but not by much.

TheFlyingDutchman is right. SJ's numbers pretty much show that they are playing a "bigger" school every game, every night, in pretty much every sport. It would be a tall order to expect them to compete against many big schools night in and night out.

The comment that ISJ could compete with Ironton maybe 2 out of 10 years is probably accurate. It would really take one of ISJ's best teams to complete against what Ironton would consider to be a mediocre team for ISJ to have a legitimate shot at a competitive game.

The idea is a great one in theory but my opinion is that Ironton has absolutely nothing to gain playing against ISJ regularly. While the gate could be good, Ironton could find better matchups in terms of a good gate. Plus, ISJ would have everything to gain in that matchup while Ironton would have everything to lose as far as winning versus losing.
Good Post.........BWH and Dutch are right on top of things when it comes to knowing the Flyers...........

highflyer
Riding the Bench

Post by highflyer »

Maybe they could do an annual "exhibition" game. Donations at the gate could benefit an agreed Ironton charity. Alumni game before the high school guys. Lots of give aways, hold a 3-point contest and party afterwards at the Knights.

Flyers58
Freshman Team

Post by Flyers58 »

highflyer wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:58 am Maybe they could do an annual "exhibition" game. Donations at the gate could benefit an agreed Ironton charity. Alumni game before the high school guys. Lots of give aways, hold a 3-point contest and party afterwards at the Knights.
I will volunteer to be the host at the party at the Knights..........

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ironton losing to Gallia pretty good surprises me. I still can’t believe ISJ the favorite but maybe they are

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

SJ and Ironton usually play an exhibition every year, the foundation game. It was cancelled this year due to the football team’s run in the playoffs.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

I do agree with BWH and flyingdutchman, neither team has much to gain by a series between the two. The foundation game is enough.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Make it a regular season game. 1 wont hurt.

St joe usually plays rock hill and coal grove anyway

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

To be so small how was st. Joe able to have both Volleyball and girls soccer ?

Michael Scott
I-TownFanatic
Freshman Team

Post by I-TownFanatic »

The Flyers don't have that big of a fan base. Wouldn't be any benefit to Ironton.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

mattash wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:06 pm To be so small how was st. Joe able to have both Volleyball and girls soccer ?
Many girls played both and the Athletic Director and league scheduler did excellent job to allow for it.

highflyer
Riding the Bench

Post by highflyer »

mattash wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:06 pm To be so small how was st. Joe able to have both Volleyball and girls soccer ?
After a Junior High game where the girls played and then were cheerleaders for the boys some one told me, "I expected those girls to sell concessions and clean up, too. They do everything."

Return to “Boys Basketball”