#8 Unioto @ #2 Fairfield Union 12/28

Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Re: #8 Unioto @ #2 Fairfield Union 12/28

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

unioto's Josh L rebound's ball came down was called for traveling then FU player started clapping in his face
he pushed him Tech on him

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I wasn't there. heard it was a brutal ending for the Sherman's. Per solid source we secured the rebound with around 15 seconds left up 3. Kid gets bumped into and travels. FU player gets up and starts clapping in his face and the Unioto player reacts and picks up the technical foul. FU makes both free throws and gets the ball and scores winning by one.

Losing sucks but we proved with our ZT win and this weekend short of a disastrous 3rd qtr against Jackson and an OT loss to regional projected FU in OT at their place that we aren't a team anyone can take lightly. If you do it's gonna be a long bus ride home. It's not a fluke we are where we are as one of the better teams at this point in the south east district.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

I wasn't there so it's unfair of me to say, but you know the old saying, that the 2nd guy always gets caught. It was also not the first T that unioto had gotten in the game. No idea what the other one was about.

Little your kid had a heck of a game though, filling the stat sheet.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Falcon01 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:48 pm I wasn't there so it's unfair of me to say, but you know the old saying, that the 2nd guy always gets caught. It was also not the first T that unioto had gotten in the game. No idea what the other one was about.

Little your kid had a heck of a game though, filling the stat sheet.
I just watched the tape of that specific incident. The FU player clearly taunts with several claps in the Unioto players face right in front of the official. It’s not subjective, it happened and it’s quite unfortunate the game had to end like that. But, it happens so what ya gonna do? We lost but proved a point tonight on a tough b2b.

And thank you for the kind comments about Isaac I’m sure he looked a little gassed out there. That was a tough 2 games for us

Prove_It
Waterboy

Post by Prove_It »

Not sure if any of the 6 officials for the day (all 3 games) should be licensed. Definitely, not a job I would take on, but c'mon man.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Not calling the technical on the kid clapping in his face with shorter ref looking right at it but then calling a T on the retaliation....can’t happen. Let the game play out.

I’ve watched the video. Did the nearest ref call the T or the shorter ref on the baseline? Not sure the nearest ref could see the clapping in the face as player’s back was mostly to him....but baseline ref was looking right at it.

On the flip side ....you gotta be disciplined and not retaliate, especially after already receiving a T and on the road with a 3 point lead and 15 seconds left.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:26 pm Not calling the technical on the kid clapping in his face with shorter ref looking right at it but then calling a T on the retaliation....can’t happen. Let the game play out.

I’ve watched the video. Did the nearest ref call the T or the shorter ref on the baseline? Not sure the nearest ref could see the clapping in the face as player’s back was mostly to him....but baseline ref was looking right at it.

On the flip side ....you gotta be disciplined and not retaliate, especially after already receiving a T and on the road with a 3 point lead and 15 seconds left.
Honestly not sure who called the T but Little who is designated as our speaking captain had a conversation with the official. He admitted he seen the kid clapping but said it wasn’t taunting because he wasn’t in his face but he clearly was.

And I agree you can’t retaliate there. Even If the kid held you down while his teammates fart in your face one at a time you have to just take it and get the W. Easy for us to say tho.

Prove_It
Waterboy

Post by Prove_It »

Completely agree with the discipline not to retaliate...also, not complaining about technicals or even fouls called. Just the overall performance of both officiating crews. Too many discussions and overturns of calls.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Prove_It wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:05 pm Completely agree with the discipline not to retaliate...also, not complaining about technicals or even fouls called. Just the overall performance of both officiating crews. Too many discussions and overturns of calls.
Wasn’t there but I heard there were at least a half dozen discussed and overturned calls? I haven’t seen that many in 50+ games combined since my kids been playing varsity.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

It’s really a moot point though. I’m sure Unioto can look back at several opportunities to have sealed the game and didn’t. Gotta grow from it and just do better

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Agree.....bottom line the kid shouldn't have retaliated. That was his second technical of the game. Unioto had the game one at that point. Not too smart but kids act on emotions.....
Unioto might get their chance come tourney time.

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

What did Lambert do to get the first technical?

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

I believe he was being mouthy and said something to the ref or at least in range where the ref heard what he said.

Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

on the 1st T he said C'MON MAN
this is from 3 boys that was on the court

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Big Daddy 7371 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:43 pm on the 1st T he said C'MON MAN
this is from 3 boys that was on the court
saucy

Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

Ironman it was brutal when you hold a team to 9 points in 1st half
and then watch these 3 refs absolutely take it from you in 2nd and OT
sickening

Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

hopefully we see them in districts
shouldnt be 8 on 5

falconbball
Riding the Bench

Post by falconbball »

players need to control their emotions on the floor, yes the FU player clapped when he traveled but keep your cool and play on he went right up to him like he was going to do something and that will draw a T every time... The earlier T in the game was called because of language used to the referee and I am pretty sure I could read his lips as he was walking away... that will also draw a T know matter what official is out there. To be honest Uniotos Coach was not much better at controlling his emotions and that's not going to help, I get it he is sticking up for his players. The JV coach also was T'D up during their game. Otherwise it was a fun game to watch and I am sure they will meet again down the road.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Sounds like the FU teams and coaches did much better at controlling emotions. Or maybe they just weren’t penalized for it 🤷‍♂️

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

falconbball wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:25 am players need to control their emotions on the floor, yes the FU player clapped when he traveled but keep your cool and play on he went right up to him like he was going to do something and that will draw a T every time... The earlier T in the game was called because of language used to the referee and I am pretty sure I could read his lips as he was walking away... that will also draw a T know matter what official is out there. To be honest Uniotos Coach was not much better at controlling his emotions and that's not going to help, I get it he is sticking up for his players. The JV coach also was T'D up during their game. Otherwise it was a fun game to watch and I am sure they will meet again down the road.
You’re talking about a coach who pressed the entire game so he could score 100 on an 0-23 team, oh how karma bites ....

Return to “Boys Basketball”