Re: Your School’s All-Time Starting 5

Post by Unbiased »

avalanche wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:15 pm Chesapeake

PG- James Dempsey, 6', 1st team all state
SG- Chris Lovely, 6'2, 1st team all state
SF- Austin McMaster, 6'5, Rio Grande
PF- Anthony Delimpo, 6'6, D3 POY, Cedarville
C- Rick Edwards, 6'8, Richmond

Guys it hurts not to include: Joey Thacker, Sam Gue, PJ Rase, Danielle Thompson, Mark Lafon, Nathan Copley
No Gage Rhoades for Chesapeake?

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Mine for Wheelersburg would be

Brad Walke-83-One of the best pure shooters I've ever watched. Had there been a three point line back then Brad would have been Burg's all time leading scorer with my guess well over 2,000 points. Played in one Final Four. Played at UNC Wilmington for one year.

Todd Staker-84-at 6'3" had to do a lot for Burg his Senior year. Could shoot from the outside or take you to the hole. Incredible leaping ability for only 6'3". Played in two Final four's with one state title game. Played 4 years at Miami University

Mark Eaton-88-One of the best all around players to come out of Burg. Could shoot, rebound find the open man and was an excellent ball handler. No final fours. Played at UNC Wilmington I think

Andrew Burleson-02-At 6'6" played above the rim a lot. Could shoot the three ball or post you up and take you to the hole. Excellent rebounder as well and outstanding ball handler. No Final fours. Played 4 years at Wright St

Tanner Holden-19-IMO the best two sport athlete to ever come out of Burg as he excelled in both football and basketball. In basketball could take over a game when he had to. Was the main ball handler on the team the last three years of HS. Could take it to the hole and was an excellent finisher with some great rim rattling dunks. Burg's single game scoring record holder with two 50 point games his Senior year. No final fours. Currently a starter at Wright st as a Freshman.

On the bench I would have:
Brian Bays-76
Joe Rase-76
Craig Brown-84
Jonathon Eaton-95
Cam Miller-07
Seth Cowgill-07

Lot of other guys I could put on this list

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Symmes Valley

PG Brad Carpenter 01 great defense, went to regionals
SG Eric Simpson 96 lights out at 3
GF Kris Tibbs 10 lead the state in scoring
F Justin Myers 01 OSU, went to regionals
F Chris Hunt 96 30+PPG inside/outside player

May be off on this but just from players I watched

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:18 pm

Guys it hurts not to include: Joey Thacker, Sam Gue, PJ Rase, Danielle Thompson, Mark Lafon, Nathan Copley
Lucky mattash never installed the like and unlike thumbs
Irontons Lafon? He play at the Peake?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:08 pm Mine for Wheelersburg would be

Brad Walke-83-One of the best pure shooters I've ever watched. Had there been a three point line back then Brad would have been Burg's all time leading scorer with my guess well over 2,000 points. Played in one Final Four. Played at UNC Wilmington for one year.

Todd Staker-84-at 6'3" had to do a lot for Burg his Senior year. Could shoot from the outside or take you to the hole. Incredible leaping ability for only 6'3". Played in two Final four's with one state title game. Played 4 years at Miami University

Mark Eaton-88-One of the best all around players to come out of Burg. Could shoot, rebound find the open man and was an excellent ball handler. No final fours. Played at UNC Wilmington I think

Andrew Burleson-02-At 6'6" played above the rim a lot. Could shoot the three ball or post you up and take you to the hole. Excellent rebounder as well and outstanding ball handler. No Final fours. Played 4 years at Wright St

Tanner Holden-19-IMO the best two sport athlete to ever come out of Burg as he excelled in both football and basketball. In basketball could take over a game when he had to. Was the main ball handler on the team the last three years of HS. Could take it to the hole and was an excellent finisher with some great rim rattling dunks. Burg's single game scoring record holder with two 50 point games his Senior year. No final fours. Currently a starter at Wright st as a Freshman.

On the bench I would have:
Brian Bays-76
Joe Rase-76
Craig Brown-84
Jonathon Eaton-95
Cam Miller-07
Seth Cowgill-07

Lot of other guys I could put on this list
🤦🏻‍♂️

I remember Mark Eaton and his trips to Jackson in the mid 80’s, such a smooth and solid player. Steve Alford of high school play I thought.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mattash wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:16 pm

Played for Norm I believe

WhiskeyTwoFive
Riding the Bench

Post by WhiskeyTwoFive »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:25 pm
transplant wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:15 pm Chris is coaching jr high girls at Adena. Has a very good squad from what I hear. His nephew, I assume Pats son plays for Chillicothe right now.
And is darn good
Yes Trey is Pat's son...and a baller

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

WhiskeyTwoFive wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:59 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:25 pm
transplant wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:15 pm Chris is coaching jr high girls at Adena. Has a very good squad from what I hear. His nephew, I assume Pats son plays for Chillicothe right now.
And is darn good
Yes Trey is Pat's son...and a baller
Hoping he transfers to ZT before Thursday

Sandman18
Waterboy

Post by Sandman18 »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:59 pm Just list your starting 5, no subs, no could be’s. Not easy I know.

Mine for Jackson

Ed Spriggs 6’8, scored over 1800 and went on to play at Miami Univerity

Brad Howe 6’5, scored over 1500 points and also scored over 1500 points at Capital University. Was their all-time leader in 3 point FG when he graduated

Willie Woodard 6’6, SEOAL MVP, played at D2 Lewis State and then Capital. Great length and outside range

Cooper Donaldson 6’3, over 1150 points, great defender and scorer.

Caleb Wallis 5’8, electric point guard with elite quickness, great outside shooting and great defender

That’s my starting 5....carefully pieced together with ball handling, shooting, length, size, speed and defense

Yes, I wanted to list about 15 others but that’s not the rules....so good luck Hoopie and trojandave lol

Curious to hear some of your honorable mentions! Or just some that you think could still fight for a spot in your opinion!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Sandman18 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:55 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:59 pm Just list your starting 5, no subs, no could be’s. Not easy I know.

Mine for Jackson

Brad Howe 6’5, scored over 1500 points and also scored over 1500 points at Capital University. Was their all-time leader in 3 point FG when he graduated

Willie Woodard 6’6, SEOAL MVP, played at D2 Lewis State and then Capital. Great length and outside range

Caleb Wallis 5’8, electric point guard with elite quickness, great outside shooting and great defender

That’s my starting 5....carefully pieced together with ball handling, shooting, length, size, speed and defense

Yes, I wanted to list about 15 others but that’s not the rules....so good luck Hoopie and trojandave lol

Curious to hear some of your honorable mentions! Or just some that you think could still fight for a spot in your opinion!
Don’t want to break my own rules. List your 5 and I will.

Sandman18
Waterboy

Post by Sandman18 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:04 pm

Mine for Jackson

I really do like your list. I would say you could argue throwing Colt Chapman’s name around, and maybe even Jackson’s coach himself. Not a whole lot of great years of Jackson basketball but definitely changing that now

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Sandman18 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:46 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:04 pm

I really do like your list. I would say you could argue throwing Colt Chapman’s name around, and maybe even Jackson’s coach himself. Not a whole lot of great years of Jackson basketball but definitely changing that now
Had it down to Colt and Woodard but went with Woodard. Tight. Morrow was considered and could do it all.

Mike Rouse 6’6 long range shooter, 1st team all state

Allen Collins 6’1 1,000 points

Matt Walburn 5’10 1,000 points elite shooter, winner

Pat Stevens 5’10.....big time scorer shooting guard

Greg Harris 5’11....1st team all state 23.3 ppg in 1988-89

Jared Humphreys.....anyone say defense?

Shayne Compton 6’8 with range played at OUC

Dylan Newsome....no clue how he did what he did for some bad Jackson teams

Jon McDonald was Matt Walburn but left after his soph years and went to Wellston

Ryan Bethel was here one year and he was incredible talent

Ryan Borden 17 ppg as a soph in a KILLER SEOAL with loaded Portsmouth, Zville, Chilly, Warren, Ironton...he of course left after his soph year. Elite shooter

Kyle Ondera...only year until his freshman year and called up mid season and could handle the pressure of that same insane SEOAL and lightning quick athletes and guards...knew he was special.

Vince Jenkins 2x all league and 20 ppg in 98-99

Reid Arnold, Shane Shanton, Vince Wolford

All considered ....didn’t know much pre 1983

JohnnyCash
Waterboy

Post by JohnnyCash »

Wellston:

Scott Cheatham - 91-94
Scott Bragg - 85-88?
Ed Jacobs - 60s
Rob Hardy - 80s
Scott Lackey - 80s

Others:
Brant Derrow - 01-04
John Derrow - 80s
Brett Fink - 90s
Mike Potts - 80s

Had some great teams in the late 80s / early 90s. Have had some very down years these past 15 years.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

JohnnyCash wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:37 pm Wellston:

Scott Cheatham - 91-94
Scott Bragg - 85-88?
Ed Jacobs - 60s
Rob Hardy - 80s
Scott Lackey - 80s

Others:
Brant Derrow - 01-04
John Derrow - 80s
Brett Fink - 90s
Mike Potts - 80s

Had some great teams in the late 80s / early 90s. Have had some very down years these past 15 years.
What about the guard from Europe that played at Rio?

JohnnyCash
Waterboy

Post by JohnnyCash »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:06 pm
JohnnyCash wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:37 pm Wellston:

Scott Cheatham - 91-94
Scott Bragg - 85-88?
Ed Jacobs - 60s
Rob Hardy - 80s
Scott Lackey - 80s

Others:
Brant Derrow - 01-04
John Derrow - 80s
Brett Fink - 90s
Mike Potts - 80s

What about the guard from Europe that played at Rio?
Randar Lutz. He was a great player as well as Armpalo (played at Marshall), I just wouldn’t have him in the starting lineup.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Unbiased wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:57 pm

No Gage Rhoades for Chesapeake?
Nope. Very good player no doubt, but he isn't beating out Dempsey, Gue, or Thompson at PG.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Correct. Played on Norm's 89 regional semi or finals team. Was an outstanding rebounder, could score, and was very tough.

Was inducted into the Peak HOF two years ago

Buckeye1971
Waterboy

Post by Buckeye1971 »

avalanche wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:56 pm

Correct. Played on Norm's 89 regional semi or finals team. Was an outstanding rebounder, could score, and was very tough.

Was inducted into the Peak HOF two years ago

Correct about regional semi finals, but not 89. Lafon graduated in 88 I’m pretty sure.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:26 pm Peebles: it's hard to do.
1973,playing in the era of Kip Young,and Dave Tomlin who were later became pro baseball players and a few years after South Webster's Mike Rose was Chuck Johnson of Peebles. First team allstate guard who was the thorn in the side of any opponent he would happen to guard. 908 total points. He was scouted by Bobby Knight ,but; chose to stay home and work.In the Peebles Hall of Fame.

Kelly Copeland1981 grad. The big 6'6" red head was a rebounding machine who played with the Justice Twins. He amassed 1060 points,752 rebounds,averaging 16.2 ppg. Beaver fans remember him in the championship winning game when both teams entered at 15-0. Kelly and the Indians prevailed. Kelly carried the team. All stater and Peebles Hall of Fame.

Marc Kremin, 1987. 1296 total points,20.9 ppg,252 free throws made. Playing at the beginning of the three point era,Marc was a master of the half court game winning shot as Manchester can attest to as Marc hit two buzzer beaters spoiling their perfect season and putting them out of the tournament. All stater and Peebles Hall of famer.

Blake Justice 2011, 2183 points,314 threes,395 freethrows,499 rebounds,291 assists,24.2 scoring average,261 steals. This son of Brett Justice and nephew if Brian Justice of the early 80s was the legend of his time who went to Colleage at Akron,then to Valdosta State where he set records and scored over 1000 points. He was all state and played in Europe after college. He is currently a coach at Valdosta State.

Beau Justice: 2015: 2370 points ,478 rebounds,311 assists,24.7 ppg,282 steals,472 fts,223 steals. Beau was allstate Played Colleage at Valdosta State where he scored over 1500 points,was all American and preseason player of the year. He set a bunch of records at Valdosta. He is currently playing pro in Spain where he has amassed a number of accolades. His dad is Brett Justice. He is in the State record books in many catagories,but; the one most remember was the perfect shooting night at the Convo in 2015 playing against Waterford. 15 for 15 from the field,7 for 7 free throws and 3 for 3 from 3. All state player,Peebles Hall of Fame.
And yes I would loved to have added more to the list. Someone should do lists for Eastern Brown,North Adams. Brett Beucler for Eastern and Nathan Copas for North Adams would be a good start. Western Pike with Gabby Smith and Ferm Beavers would be a good start. Then there's Lynchburg Clay and Paul Cluxton. Oh and Brian Grant of Georgetown ( former SHAC,SHL player who went on to play at Xavier ,then Professionally for many ,many years. I had the displeasure of watching him take the first three passes in the paint and two hand them in our centers face. He was an awesome high school, college and pro athlete.

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

For Ironton starting 5 I'd have to go with:
Snead
Gagai
Kitchen
Davis
The 5th spot would go to the kid that played center with Gagai on the team that played for the state championship

Return to “Boys Basketball”