Re: Your School’s All-Time Starting 5

Post by beg003 »

Warren:
Austin Cunningham-PG
Evan French-SG
Reece Patton-SF
Michael Hall-PF
Chase Weihl- C

It seems weird, but the program’s best players have all come in the last ten years or so. Basketball before Maddox was not great.

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

LeftHanded wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:55 pm Vinton County

Tristan Bartoe
Ryan Caudill
Derick Jones
Naylan Yates
Dustin Guthrie

Only one is pre-Combs era! Haha
I would put Chris Bethal in over Jones

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Bobevans wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:49 pm For Ironton starting 5 I'd have to go with:
Snead
Gagai
Kitchen
Davis
The 5th spot would go to the kid that played center with Gagai on the team that played for the state championship
What was that kids name and what does he do now. He was solid

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
LeftHanded
Freshman Team

Post by LeftHanded »

Reds Fan wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:08 pm
LeftHanded wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:55 pm Vinton County

Tristan Bartoe
Ryan Caudill
Derick Jones
Naylan Yates
Dustin Guthrie

Only one is pre-Combs era! Haha
I would put Chris Bethal in over Jones
Could definitely see that! Also can't forget about Ryan Kent and Brian Dixon from 2004. Both of those guys have a strong case too!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:02 pm Bo was awesome. I think I’m distant relation to Lindsey. Is Mike, Katie’s Dad?
Now I actually know who Chieftain 2009 is, haha. Had some guesses before, LOL.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

mattash wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:46 pm
Bobevans wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:49 pm For Ironton starting 5 I'd have to go with:
Snead
Gagai
Kitchen
Davis
The 5th spot would go to the kid that played center with Gagai on the team that played for the state championship
What was that kids name and what does he do now. He was solid
Cliff Howard was his name. I am unsure where he is now. I remember hearing stories when he was in school that he had a very poor home life. Hopefully is doing well.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Logan HS Chieftains:

I'm taking a "whole career" look:

Bo Myers (2019)
Doug Stiverson (1989)
Mark Shaw (1971)
Coy Lindsey (1997)
Kerry York (1986)

Lots of versatility in that group. Myers and Lindsey probably share PG duties - Stiverson on a wing. Shaw and York can play inside and outside.

Really, Myers could play all 5 spots, haha

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:21 am Logan HS Chieftains:

I'm taking a "whole career" look:

Bo Myers (2019)
Doug Stiverson (1989)
Mark Shaw (1971)
Coy Lindsey (1997)
Kerry York (1986)

Lots of versatility in that group. Myers and Lindsey probably share PG duties - Stiverson on a wing. Shaw and York can play inside and outside.

Really, Myers could play all 5 spots, haha
Katie Smith off the bench?

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

Westfall
Jerry Mowrey
Corey Wyman
Tyler Schliech
Greg Bigam
Dan Curry

Honorable Mention:
Tony Pickleseimer
Ben Kern
Bryant Gibson
Cory Simpson

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:24 pm Here would be my starting 5 all-time at Logan in no particular order:

Bo Myers - All-time leading scorer
Coy Lindsey - 2nd all-time leading scorer
Jan Myers - Best assist man in LHS history
Mark Shaw - Best rebounder in LHS history
Keith Myers - All-around rebounder and scorer

A bunch of others, but to name a few coming off the bench: DJ Conrad, Caleb Bell, Mike McBroom, Jack Miller, Josh Lawrence, Kerry York.

Could be more. LoganLocos could have some more.
Great list. Jan Myers VS DJ Conrad and Keith Myers VS Kerry York are fun debates. I think Greg Poston's game would have really transitioned into the more modern game and is probably underrated. Guys who saw Mike McBroom would definitely debate him vs Coy Lindsey I think.

Depends for me if you want a "full career" or best players at their peak. If the latter, Lawrence has to be included. His senior year was just absolutely another level.

A few to add:

Logan's basketball heydey was in the 1940s. The '45-'46 team was the first SEOAL team to go 14-0 against the league double round robin. Four Chieftains made the All-SEOAL first team (they only picked 5 guys). Delmar "Red" Mowery, Roy "Bud" Magle, and Bob Schmitter were joined by John McBroom (Mike's dad) with all four becoming LHS Athletic Hall of Famers.

Mark Lohr ('41) was Logan's first All-Ohio basketball player (3rd team). And "Big" Bill Saxton held school records for points in a game, a season, and a career when he graduated.

Modern era:

Eddie Joe Grandy ('53), Gene Morgan ('58), and George Stump ('60) were early modern era stand outs.

In the '60s, Greg Poston ('68) was one of the school's all-time best athletes and was the first 1,000 point scorer.

Jim Pierce ('74 or '75) was a dominant scorer in the mid-'70s. Scored over 900 points.

Tim Moore ('89) played with Stiverson and also played with him at Capital.

Matt Taulbee was the best player on the District Championship team in 2000.

Patrick Angle (2010) and Mason Mays (2010) were a dynamic duo - Angle got over 1,000 points and Mays got close to 900 without my notes.

Kevin Fisher (2014?) and Caiden Landis (2018) were freaky athletes for their size. Landis is another one you have consider if you're taking guys just at their absolute "peak."

Think Tegan has a chance to join at least the "others" list if not challenge for a spot in the starting five.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I didn't see a Chillicothe starting 5 all time, so I'll try to provide one:

1. Anthony Hitchens (2008)......starting PG on the 2008 State Champion Cavaliers....game winning assist in championship game
2. Garin Veris (1980).......played on the regular season undefeated CHS team......played for Stanford and New England Patriots
3. Mark Bayless (1974)....Class AAA Player of the Year; Central Ohio League Champions......I believe he played for Ohio State
4. Neil Johnston......not sure what year.....it was long ago......but he played in the NBA
5. Ray Chambers (2008).....center on the 2008 State Champion Cavaliers.....made last second game winning shot in title game

I'll add a great coach.....Tom Cuppett......coached for about 10 years, mostly in the 70's......may have been the best CHS coach.....I know Gary Kellough won the 2008 state title, but Cuppett's teams were always in the running for the AAA regionals; it was tough in the big school class.

I'm sure someone from Chillicothe will post a different starting 5; CHS has had a lot of good players through the years.
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:53 pm Bo was awesome. I think I’m distant relation to Lindsey. Is Mike, Katie’s Dad?
Mike is not Katie's dad.

Mike's dad, John, was a standout at LHS in the '40s. His sister, Sue, was an early women's basketball pioneer. All three are in the LHS Athletic Hall of Fame.

Katie's dad is Rory McBroom. Katie is in the LHS Hall of Fame as well. Katie was a 1,000 point scorer at LHS and played at Tiffin.
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:06 pm
I have a ton of distant relatives in Logan. My mom is first cousins to Brian and Fred Hawk. Walter’s, Winkle’s....all in the family
Brian was a really good basketball and baseball player in the late '70s. LHS Athletic Hall of Famer.
Last edited by loganlocos on Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:41 am
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:53 pm Bo was awesome. I think I’m distant relation to Lindsey. Is Mike, Katie’s Dad?
Mike is not Katie's dad.

Mike's dad, John, was a standout at LHS in the '40s. His sister, Sue, was an early women's basketball pioneer. All three are in the LHS Athletic Hall of Fame.

Katie's dad is Rory McBroom. Katie is in the LHS Hall of Fame as well. Katie was a 1,000 point scorer at LHS and played at Tiffin.
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:06 pm
I have a ton of distant relatives in Logan. My mom is first cousins to Brian and Fred Hawk. Walter’s, Winkle’s....all in the family
Brian was a really good basketball and baseball player in the late '70s. LHS Athletic Hall of Famer.
Play baseball at Morehead St or Marshall?

I knew Katie McBroom from softball...wow

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:24 pm
Swanker Pine wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:21 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:18 pm

🤦🏻‍♂️
Justin Lower was a hair before my time so I’m not sure about his legend status. Definitely solid with my other 4. Wags graduated a Jeep and always will be.
Waginger would make mine. THE best high school defensive player I have seen.

I have a great Kayla Cook story
Yeah, Waginger is still the best on-ball defender I've ever seen in high school basketball. I remember him swiping OJ Mayo in the State Final when he was still at Ironton. Also remember his senior year at Webster single-handedly destroying other teams' point guard on a nightly basis. Believe he is the all-time steals leader for Western Carolina as well. As for Justin Lower, he could fill it up (still holds Webster single-game record of 55pts). Went on to play at Cedarville.

But I'd agree with Swanker's list for South Webster and I think that team would be highly competitive with any other all-time team from this area.*

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:07 am
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:24 pm
Swanker Pine wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:21 pm

Justin Lower was a hair before my time so I’m not sure about his legend status. Definitely solid with my other 4. Wags graduated a Jeep and always will be.
Waginger would make mine. THE best high school defensive player I have seen.

I have a great Kayla Cook story
Yeah, Waginger is still the best on-ball defender I've ever seen in high school basketball. I remember him swiping OJ Mayo in the State Final when he was still at Ironton. Also remember his senior year at Webster single-handedly destroying other teams' point guard on a nightly basis. Believe he is the all-time steals leader for Western Carolina as well. As for Justin Lower, he could fill it up (still holds Webster single-game record of 55pts). Went on to play at Cedarville.

But I'd agree with Swanker's list for South Webster and I think that team would be highly competitive with any other all-time team from this area.*
I agree. Jonathan Eaton from burg was just like him. Those two were just alike. Eaton shut down Esteban weaver and “held down” yeagle the year they went to state finals.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:58 am Play baseball at Morehead St or Marshall?

I THINK Morehead. His oldest daughter was in my class at LHS.

I think Katie played both basketball and softball at Tiffin. Unreal athlete.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:18 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:58 am Play baseball at Morehead St or Marshall?

I THINK Morehead. His oldest daughter was in my class at LHS.

I think Katie played both basketball and softball at Tiffin. Unreal athlete.
Correct on both of those.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

avalanche wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:15 pm Chesapeake

PG- James Dempsey, 6', 1st team all state
SG- Chris Lovely, 6'2, 1st team all state
SF- Austin McMaster, 6'5, Rio Grande
PF- Anthony Delimpo, 6'6, D3 POY, Cedarville
C- Rick Edwards, 6'8, Richmond

Guys it hurts not to include: Joey Thacker, Sam Gue, PJ Rase, Danielle Thompson, Mark Lafon, Nathan Copley
Chesapeake has to many greats to have just one starting 5. Mark D'Antoni, Jimmy Arms, Ron Rouche, DL McWhorter, David Marshall, heck you can go back into the 50s for even more greats, I'd put Tammy Walls and Tammy Wood on there also. They could hoop with anyone.

Ohio1234
JV Team

Post by Ohio1234 »

idk about all time but
Chillicothe just in my time id put:
Humpty Hitchens
Tommy Bolte
Jalen Ragland
Ray Chambers
Malik London

off the bench