Dec-05 -- Fairland @ Zane Trace

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Dec-05 -- Fairland @ Zane Trace

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:02 pm Would like a Pfloyd recap...but would take anyone’s
No live stream from Zane Trace - didn't get to see a shot ... Bloom Carroll's live stream didn't start until the 2nd quarter uggggggggghhhhhhh ... Logan Elm IS Logan Elm - outstanding - they look like midseason form played 7 ... love watching Coach Stiverson's Braves play the game of basketball - I've seen my top 3 teams now ALL deserving of their 1-3 rankings ...

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

I only know that the game was mostly a 10 point game the whole second half. Also, I was told that Fairland was throwing bricks from 3 point land, but still beat the Pioneers by 11 points.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Bozo wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:08 pm I only know that the game was mostly a 10 point game the whole second half. Also, I was told that Fairland was throwing bricks from 3 point land, but still beat the Pioneers by 11 points.
I'll confirm the bricks.

Post by downatthehalf »

From what I’m seeing it looks like it was Zane Trace vs. Porter. Kid had 34 of the Dragons 51 points. Her shot 53% and was 10/10 for free throws.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Porter can definitely play. One of the elite junior players in the SE district

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I watched the replay of this one today ... Fairland was not hitting the outside shot for sure Saturday night but they played a very good defensive game vs an athletic ZT team .., Coach K is a defensive minded coach , ZT traveled to Fairland for a scrimmage before the season started - the pioneers were ready for the back door cuts - not sure FHS had a single back door point vs ZT ... Fairland played a great defensive game imo... pressure full court, 3/4 court, and in the 1/2 court ... trapping - forcing a boatload of ZT turnovers ... importantly the Dragons defense dictated the flow of the game ... a good road W for Fairland...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Anyone have the Zane Trace roster names & numbers ?

tnichols10
Waterboy

Post by tnichols10 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:56 pm Anyone have the Zane Trace roster names & numbers ?
2 Brayden Jarrell 5'8 g junior
10 Austin Ison 5'9 g sophomore
12 Ethan Nelson 6'2 f junior
13 Trey Edler 6'3 f junior
14 Ben Nichols 6'0 g junior
15 Nalin Robinson 6'4 f sophomore
21 Trey Miller 6'2 f senior
23 Xzander Ream 6'3 g sophomore
24 Kanin Johnson 5'10 g senior
25 Carter Hill 6'1 g junior
44 Kyle Stonerock 6'4 f sophomore

tnichols10
Waterboy

Post by tnichols10 »

Zane Trace is very young this year, with little to no varsity experience coming back. They will get better as the year moves forward. They are long and and athletic starting 2 sophomores, 2 juniors, and 1 senior. They may struggle to score sometimes but their defense should keep them in most games.
Fairlands defensive pressure and quickness was impressive and I don't think ZT will see too many teams like that (maybe Unioto, Adena and LE). They were in the game until late and overall was a good game for ZT and something to build on. The 2 big sophomores (Robinson and Stonerock) for ZT will be a load to handle as the season goes on and they adapt to the speed and effort needed on the varsity level. Guard play will be a big challenge as they are kinda thin at that spot. Alot will fall on the shoulders of junior guard (Nichols) to handle pressure and get team into the correct sets, he is athletic kid (3 sport kid) who has had success at every level and will get better as the year progresses. He didn't get much valuable time last year as he was the backup to probably one of the best guard combo's in ZT history (Evans and Swain). Defending the other teams wings will fall on the shoulder of junior (Carter Hill) long kid and still learning the varsity game. The lone senior that will also be relied on is Trey Miller (6'2 and long) for outside shooting and defense. ZT will probably go 9-10 deep with couple more juniors and sophomores in the rotation.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

tnichols10 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:34 am Zane Trace is very young this year, with little to no varsity experience coming back. They will get better as the year moves forward. They are long and and athletic starting 2 sophomores, 2 juniors, and 1 senior. They may struggle to score sometimes but their defense should keep them in most games.
Fairlands defensive pressure and quickness was impressive and I don't think ZT will see too many teams like that (maybe Unioto, Adena and LE). They were in the game until late and overall was a good game for ZT and something to build on. The 2 big sophomores (Robinson and Stonerock) for ZT will be a load to handle as the season goes on and they adapt to the speed and effort needed on the varsity level. Guard play will be a big challenge as they are kinda thin at that spot. Alot will fall on the shoulders of junior guard (Nichols) to handle pressure and get team into the correct sets, he is athletic kid (3 sport kid) who has had success at every level and will get better as the year progresses. He didn't get much valuable time last year as he was the backup to probably one of the best guard combo's in ZT history (Evans and Swain). Defending the other teams wings will fall on the shoulder of junior (Carter Hill) long kid and still learning the varsity game. The lone senior that will also be relied on is Trey Miller (6'2 and long) for outside shooting and defense. ZT will probably go 9-10 deep with couple more juniors and sophomores in the rotation.
I totally agree with everything you pointed out - the youth, in-experience BOTH happen when you play a group of players/class of players that ZT had graduate last season - it's great to have THAT quality of class BUT when THAT group walks off the court for the last time what's left is in-experience and youth to take their place ... Coach K WILL make sure this years group plays D - Coach K believes in D and is one of the best defensive coaches in SEO - period ... he has the reputation to take a young group teach the D first, the offense lags behind BUT as you pointed out the O will develop as the players figure out what THEY bring to the table offensively AND THEY WILL FIGURE IT OUT ... Coach K believes in having a "floor leader" - THAT guy who makes sure everyone is on the same page, a ballhandler who can distribute the ball to the other players on the floor where they score the best ... ZT is 0-3 ! I'm NOT worried about them as I believe in Coach K - I watched him at Chilli, I watched him at Logan, he is building this team into a TEAM ... ability to handle pressure will be key early on as teams will test the ball handling and decision making skills on the perimeter as well as those decision making skills of the bigs when they get the ball after the perimeter folks are forced to give it up ... the result will be turnovers BUT everyone will learn from the early season mistakes and they will a team which WILL knock off a league contender down the road ... good rundown tnichols10 !!!

tnichols10
Waterboy

Post by tnichols10 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:09 pm
tnichols10 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:34 am Zane Trace is very young this year, with little to no varsity experience coming back. They will get better as the year moves forward. They are long and and athletic starting 2 sophomores, 2 juniors, and 1 senior. They may struggle to score sometimes but their defense should keep them in most games.
I totally agree with everything you pointed out - the youth, in-experience BOTH happen when you play a group of players/class of players that ZT had graduate last season - it's great to have THAT quality of class BUT when THAT group walks off the court for the last time what's left is in-experience and youth to take their place ... Coach K WILL make sure this years group plays D - Coach K believes in D and is one of the best defensive coaches in SEO - period ... he has the reputation to take a young group teach the D first, the offense lags behind BUT as you pointed out the O will develop as the players figure out what THEY bring to the table offensively AND THEY WILL FIGURE IT OUT ... Coach K believes in having a "floor leader" - THAT guy who makes sure everyone is on the same page, a ballhandler who can distribute the ball to the other players on the floor where they score the best ... ZT is 0-3 ! I'm NOT worried about them as I believe in Coach K - I watched him at Chilli, I watched him at Logan, he is building this team into a TEAM ... ability to handle pressure will be key early on as teams will test the ball handling and decision making skills on the perimeter as well as those decision making skills of the bigs when they get the ball after the perimeter folks are forced to give it up ... the result will be turnovers BUT everyone will learn from the early season mistakes and they will a team which WILL knock off a league contender down the road ... good rundown tnichols10 !!!
thanks pfloyd....

They are 0-2 with loss to Mclain and Fairland. VC Tuesday, PV Friday, and Huntington Sat....so we will see if they take a step forward this week and finish out games.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

tnichols10 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:13 pm
pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:09 pm
I totally agree with everything you pointed out - the youth, in-experience BOTH happen when you play a group of players/class of players that ZT had graduate last season - it's great to have THAT quality of class BUT when THAT group walks off the court for the last time what's left is in-experience and youth to take their place ... Coach K WILL make sure this years group plays D - Coach K believes in D and is one of the best defensive coaches in SEO - period ... he has the reputation to take a young group teach the D first, the offense lags behind BUT as you pointed out the O will develop as the players figure out what THEY bring to the table offensively AND THEY WILL FIGURE IT OUT ... Coach K believes in having a "floor leader" - THAT guy who makes sure everyone is on the same page, a ballhandler who can distribute the ball to the other players on the floor where they score the best ... ZT is 0-2 ! I'm NOT worried about them as I believe in Coach K - I watched him at Chilli, I watched him at Logan, he is building this team into a TEAM ... ability to handle pressure will be key early on as teams will test the ball handling and decision making skills on the perimeter as well as those decision making skills of the bigs when they get the ball after the perimeter folks are forced to give it up ... the result will be turnovers BUT everyone will learn from the early season mistakes and they will a team which WILL knock off a league contender down the road ... good rundown tnichols10 !!!
thanks pfloyd....

They are 0-2 with loss to Mclain and Fairland. VC Tuesday, PV Friday, and Huntington Sat....so we will see if they take a step forward this week and finish out games.
... I edited the ZT record - I looked at my sheet/the ZT GIRLS lost to Paint Valley on 12/3 .. sometimes ScoreStream mixes up whether the score was a boys varsity or a girls varsity score ... thanks for the correction!

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Like I said earlier, if ZT has a winning record, it will be a pretty good season.

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

Bozo wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:23 pm Like I said earlier, if ZT has a winning record, it will be a pretty good season.
ZT wins all 3 games this week beating Vinton County, Paint Valley and Huntington.

Coach Kellough gets his 500th career win.

tnichols10
Waterboy

Post by tnichols10 »

Zane Trace is really starting to figure things out. Getting better each game. Big test next week with Unioto.

Return to “Boys Basketball”