Extended Season??

baseball16
All State

Extended Season??

Post by baseball16 »

Would the OHSAA be smart and Extend the Season two - three weeks? Start the Tournament at the Beginning of March and play Finals the End of March. Start Spring Sports 1st or 2nd Week of April (Which is better weather anyhow). Extending the Season would allow teams to actually make up games and not cram 20 games into 4 weeks.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Extended Season??

Post by danicalifornia »

That would be the smart thing to do...so, my guess is that it won’t happen.

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Some teams may be lucky to get 10 games in .

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:49 pm That would be the smart thing to do...so, my guess is that it won’t happen.
👍

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Already screwed spring sports once. Not again!
Spring sports played ZERO games in 2020.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

It wouldn't screw spring sports. Think about it, most teams would be knocked out of the Tourney 1st or 2nd week of March. Yes there will be a handful of teams go to Regionals and maybe 1-2 to State, but overall most teams would be done earlier. Start Spring the 1 or 2 week of April, Start Tourney the 3rd week of May. Nice Weather and less early cancellations for baseball and softball. OHSAA should be making this happen, but it will take ADs, Principals, and Coaches to push for this!

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Spring schedules already done!

How about not spreading the District Basketball Tournament out over 3 weeks?

Nobody is making any money anyway except for you refs. Oh, that is why you want the season extended.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Basketball is already the longest season of any sport sanctioned by the Ohsaa, so no, dont make it drag out any longer!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Bozo wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:11 pm Spring schedules already done!

Given what is going on, NO schedules are already done. On paper they might be finished but as we've all seen they are far from being done. It is a ever revolving situation. I've always thought basketball should've started in February, you get what you can get in 10-14 games and you start the tourney first of March. Even if spring sports are pushed back they'll get to have some type of season.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Nobody is making any money anyway except for you refs. Oh, that is why you want the season extended.
👎

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Why should spring sports get penalized again? Let some other sport take a hit. Again, there was NO SEASON for spring sports last year. Did you forget? The biggest screw job in history. I don't say it is about money because schools are not making any money.
Last edited by Bozo on Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake
Freshman Team

Post by Snowflake »

greygoose wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:17 pm

Given what is going on, NO schedules are already done. On paper they might be finished but as we've all seen they are far from being done. It is a ever revolving situation. I've always thought basketball should've started in February, you get what you can get in 10-14 games and you start the tourney first of March. Even if spring sports are pushed back they'll get to have some type of season.
Oh gosh by all means extend the season so all you yahoos who think the virus is a hoax can get your basketball fix for a few more months. Meanwhile will be exposing the players to virus for longer so they can keep taking back to their older family members. But sports is more important than health, right?

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Snowflake wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:21 pm

Oh gosh by all means extend the season so all you yahoos who think the virus is a hoax can get your basketball fix for a few more months. Meanwhile will be exposing the players to virus for longer so they can keep taking back to their older family members. But sports is more important than health, right?
Masks do not work. N95 yes, the rest NO!!! Sorry to hurt your feelings!!

I don't care about the Money. Us Refs are not exactly making bank on officiating! Most do it because they love to be around the game and enjoy the competition! Give me a break! It would just give teams a chance to play catch up and not always playing 3 or 4 games in a week.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Snowflake, go melt away!

Baseball and Softball play 5-6 games a week in the spring. Play!
Kids would rather do that than have practice.

Snowflake
Freshman Team

Post by Snowflake »

baseball16 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:27 pm

I don't care about the Money. Us Refs are not exactly making bank on officiating! Most do it because they love to be around the game and enjoy the competition! Give me a break! It would just give teams a chance to play catch up and not always playing 3 or 4 games in a week.
So, you're a mask expert huh? You might want to alert the CDC and every leading medical expert in the world to your knowledge of masks. They seem to disagree with your beliefs. I don't care much about your bank account though. Since you don't care about the money maybe donate your officiating checks to the schools so they can get more masks.

Snowflake
Freshman Team

Post by Snowflake »

Bozo wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:27 pm Snowflake, go melt away!

Baseball and Softball play 5-6 games a week in the spring. Play!
Kids would rather do that than have practice.
Yes by all means play those games so you and those like you can get your fix. That's certainly more important than the health of the players and their families for sure.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Snowflake wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:33 pm

So, you're a mask expert huh? You might want to alert the CDC and every leading medical expert in the world to your knowledge of masks. They seem to disagree with your beliefs. I don't care much about your bank account though. Since you don't care about the money maybe donate your officiating checks to the schools so they can get more masks.
What makes you think I haven't donated?

Baseball/Softball are designed to be played 5 -6 games a week. Basketball not so much. Stop and Go is too hard on the knees. Knee injuries would go up more than ever, and they are already high.

I haven't seen a person not wearing a mask, but yet our numbers continue to sky rocket. Hmmmm Doesn't take much of an expert to figure that out!
People that continue to yell at others for apparently "NOT" wearing their masks is just a person that doesn't understand this virus!! It's not going to stop, but we can mitigate better by protecting our elderly and most vulnerable. The rest should be able to live their lives for a virus that kills 0.019 %

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Exactly! You are correct baseball16.

Schools have to treat Basketball this year like Baseball/Softball. If you get a game rained out (Covid), get on your horse and find somebody who wants to play! Or schedule 35 games.

Snowflake
Freshman Team

Post by Snowflake »

baseball16 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:43 pm
Snowflake wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:33 pm

What makes you think I haven't donated?

Baseball/Softball are designed to be played 5 -6 games a week. Basketball not so much. Stop and Go is too hard on the knees. Knee injuries would go up more than ever, and they are already high.

I haven't seen a person not wearing a mask, but yet our numbers continue to sky rocket. Hmmmm Doesn't take much of an expert to figure that out!
People that continue to yell at others for apparently "NOT" wearing their masks is just a person that doesn't understand this virus!! It's not going to stop, but we can mitigate better by protecting our elderly and most vulnerable. The rest should be able to live their lives for a virus that kills 0.019 %
Again, you should contact the CDC, the media, the legislature and the Governor to offer up your expertise on the topic. They all clearly disagree with you so maybe you can convince them otherwise. Also, I've seen plenty not wearing masks both in public places as well as at sporting events. But if you are correct and the whole rest of the medical professionals, scientists and disease experts are wrong we have nothing to worry about if no one wears a mask, right?

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

What happens with the teams that get their games in. They aren't going to want to sit for 2-3 weeks waiting for the tournament to start. Softball and baseball games are already scheduled to start the first week of April. If you push them back further, they're looking at state tournament the 3rd week of June.

Return to “Boys Basketball”