The Real Problem With HS Sports

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: The Real Problem With HS Sports

Post by pfloyd »

greygoose wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:27 pm
bengalsforever wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:01 pm Many conversations on here about how basketball parents and fans are getting out of hand at basketball games. I think if you read on here for a few times, you will see the problem.

Posters making posts days before a game, people asking what time the doors will open, people wanting to watch basketball all day. Not over NBA or college, but high school basketball…

We are making these kids feel like they are celebrities. It’s a game and extracurricular activity. Way too many adults are obsessed with high school age boys and girls playing a game. It is strange.

If you have a kid playing, go support them. But you don’t need to obsess over other kids playing a game. Getting rid of the obsessiveness will make people realize there is more to life than high school basketball. Just my two cents.
Things are getting out of hand at times because people want to watch basketball all day or posting about a game. :lol: :lol: Guys that are going to 2-3 games in 1 sitting are not the ones sitting there yelling and screaming at officials they don't have a dog in the fight other than wanting to see good basketball. Obsessing over other kids playing?? Dude seriously most people get out of hand when they have a dog in the fight when their kid/kids are playing and they get overly critical of any call or non-call made. There's just so much wrong within this post, now kids are feeling like celebrities?? Not sure what games you're watching. Games have always gotten out of hand have for years with parents and fans nothing has changed over the years, 20 years ago people were getting out of hand and kicked out of games and nothing has changed now.
greygoose I agree with you on this ... I'm not sure what games the original poster has gone to BUT I KNOW that I go to GOOD games , between GOOD teams which gives games like the 51-50 win by Trimble on a last second shot vs Fed Hock on Friday ... then a Federal Hocking last second 1/2 court shot to beat Trimble tonight 61-60 ... watching GOOD games with GOOD teams is the key, and YES I post about games before, during and after the games ... do I go to the mid season "classics" where they play 5-6 games in a day - yes I do ... I HAVE NEVER BEEN RUDE , OUT OF CONTROL AT A GAME ... I even ASKED when the doors opened because I KNEW that the gym was going to be packed ! I wanted a decent seat and parking place at Trimble ... I don't watch pro basketball - I can't relate to them, I watch college ... I go to high school games everywhere to watch the best of the best teams AND I POST ABOUT THEM as positively as I can ... I want others to get out and support the kids, the teams in SEO ... it's not the "outsiders" like me who don't have a dog in the fight causing issues … it's those who DO have a dog in the fight - the parents etc. ... I'll keep posting, and attending high school hoops ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

The biggest problem I've noticed is we need to spend less time on the inet and more time in remedial English class.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

I go and support my team, and you might call me enthusiastic about the kids. I have no kids but support the kids that play. I get to know the parents and kids, as I have been a
long time booster.
I yell maybe to much sometimes but I like to win.
There is one thing I will never do is make derogatory remarks to refs or about a kid. They are out there to play and have fun.
I have gone to districts and regionals for years, even if my team is not there. And I do love high school basketball.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

greygoose wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:27 pm
bengalsforever wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:01 pm Many conversations on here about how basketball parents and fans are getting out of hand at basketball games. I think if you read on here for a few times, you will see the problem.

Posters making posts days before a game, people asking what time the doors will open, people wanting to watch basketball all day. Not over NBA or college, but high school basketball…

We are making these kids feel like they are celebrities. It’s a game and extracurricular activity. Way too many adults are obsessed with high school age boys and girls playing a game. It is strange.

If you have a kid playing, go support them. But you don’t need to obsess over other kids playing a game. Getting rid of the obsessiveness will make people realize there is more to life than high school basketball. Just my two cents.
Things are getting out of hand at times because people want to watch basketball all day or posting about a game. :lol: :lol: Guys that are going to 2-3 games in 1 sitting are not the ones sitting there yelling and screaming at officials they don't have a dog in the fight other than wanting to see good basketball. Obsessing over other kids playing?? Dude seriously most people get out of hand when they have a dog in the fight when their kid/kids are playing and they get overly critical of any call or non-call made. There's just so much wrong within this post, now kids are feeling like celebrities?? Not sure what games you're watching. Games have always gotten out of hand have for years with parents and fans nothing has changed over the years, 20 years ago people were getting out of hand and kicked out of games and nothing has changed now.
I honestly think fans were worse in the 90’s when I played. Breaking news, people have been idiots FOREVER

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

The real problem: Adults being adults.

Return to “Boys Basketball”