Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 2

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 2

Post by bbjunky81 »

pfloyd, great lists as always. Thank you for what you do.

The only thing I'm seeing that's a little off is Wheelersburg deserves to be higher. Not just because they beat South Webster at home by 2, but also because the next night they absolutely destroyed Coal Grove by 30+. The same Coal Grove team knocked off Portsmouth who has plenty of talent.

This Wheelersburg team is better than people think. They won't win the league, but they're a legit 9-10 guys deep with abunch of tall, long, physical athletes. As long as the guards handle pressure, they'll be in every game they play.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Here's my top 8 for each Division so far:

D2:

1.) Gallia Academy
2.) Miami Trace
3.) Fairfield Union
4.) New Lexington (keep an eye on them)
5.) Washington Court House
6.) Sheridan
7.) Vinton County
8.) Warren

D2 is absolutely loaded this year. Logan Elm and Alexander are my next two teams to watch for.

D3:

1.) Minford
2.) Lucasville Valley
3.) Fairland
4.) North Adams
5.) Wheelersburg
6.) South Point
7.) Zane Trace
8.) Portsmouth (they need to wake up though)

D3 has 6-7 very legit teams that could win the district title, then it falls off considerably but still very competitive. Northwest and Rock Hill are two teams I'd keep my eye on going forward. Both are much better than years past. Anxious to see what Ironton trots out there. They'll have plenty of athletes and size.

D4:

1.) Fairfield Leesburg (they've earned this spot thus far)
2.) South Webster
3.) Paint Valley
4.) Federal Hocking
5.) Notre Dame
6.) Whiteoak
7.) Green
8.) Eastern Pike / Western Pike tie

I would say D4 is a little down compared to years past. Seems to be three favorites then Fed Hock / Notre Dame both in that next tier, then a good drop off after that. But anything can happen in the D4 tournament as we all know. Peebles and Trimble are two teams to keep an eye on as the season progresses, I think they both could improve considerably through out the year as both are young but have excellent coaches.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Paint Valley vs. Fairfield Leesburg tomorrow will give us a better indication as to what each team offers.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Post by soggybottomtopper »

From what I have watched so far, the Fairfield Lions will be a very tough game for Paint Valley! Not going to give a score prediction, but look for a double digit win for Fairfield. Best DIV team I have watched

Harambe
Riding the Bench

Post by Harambe »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:20 am Here's my top 8 for each Division so far:

D2:

1.) Gallia Academy
2.) Miami Trace
3.) Fairfield Union
6.) Sheridan
7.) Vinton County
8.) Warren

D2 is absolutely loaded this year. Logan Elm and Alexander are my next two teams to watch for.

D3:

1.) Minford
2.) Lucasville Valley
3.) Fairland
4.) North Adams
5.) Wheelersburg
6.) South Point
7.) Zane Trace

D3 has 6-7 very legit teams that could win the district title, then it falls off considerably but still very competitive. Northwest and Rock Hill are two teams I'd keep my eye on going forward. Both are much better than years past. Anxious to see what Ironton trots out there. They'll have plenty of athletes and size.

D4:

2.) South Webster
3.) Paint Valley
4.) Federal Hocking
5.) Notre Dame
6.) Whiteoak
7.) Green

I would say D4 is a little down compared to years past. Seems to be three favorites then Fed Hock / Notre Dame both in that next tier, then a good drop off after that. But anything can happen in the D4 tournament as we all know. Peebles and Trimble are two teams to keep an eye on as the season progresses, I think they both could improve considerably through out the year as both are young but have excellent coaches.
Nice list. I dont I think most of this is pretty logical. I doubt I would have Valley over fairland and NA tho.

Also Peebles is solid and I would say they make a lot of improvement, but they arent young. I believe 4 of their 5 starters are jr and seniors, and their most important players that come off the bench are also JRs.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Harambe wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:18 pm

Nice list. I dont I think most of this is pretty logical. I doubt I would have Valley over fairland and NA tho.

Also Peebles is solid and I would say they make a lot of improvement, but they arent young. I believe 4 of their 5 starters are jr and seniors, and their most important players that come off the bench are also JRs.
Thank you for the clarification. For some reason I thought Peebles was young, not sure where I gathered that information.

Honestly, I think Minford/Valley/Fairland/North Adams are all right there and could be interchanged in a variety of ways. North Adams looks very good early, no doubt. And they have a complete stud in Copas.

Valley has an absolutely loaded starting 5, but their bench could cost them games if they're ever in foul trouble. Their loss @ Minford isn't a bad loss by any stretch, Minford has arguably the best guard in SEO and they start 6'4", 6'5", and 6'7" around him. They are legit.

In a few more weeks we'll have a little more clarity for each division.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:20 am Here's my top 8 for each Division so far:

D2:

1.) Gallia Academy
2.) Miami Trace
3.) Fairfield Union
6.) Sheridan
7.) Vinton County
8.) Warren

D3:

1.) Minford
2.) Lucasville Valley
3.) Fairland
4.) North Adams
5.) Wheelersburg
6.) South Point
7.) Zane Trace

D4:

2.) South Webster
3.) Paint Valley
4.) Federal Hocking
5.) Notre Dame
6.) Whiteoak
7.) Green

Ironton is D2.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:52 pm
Harambe wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:18 pm

Thank you for the clarification. For some reason I thought Peebles was young, not sure where I gathered that information.

Honestly, I think Minford/Valley/Fairland/North Adams are all right there and could be interchanged in a variety of ways. North Adams looks very good early, no doubt. And they have a complete stud in Copas.

Valley has an absolutely loaded starting 5, but their bench could cost them games if they're ever in foul trouble. Their loss @ Minford isn't a bad loss by any stretch, Minford has arguably the best guard in SEO and they start 6'4", 6'5", and 6'7" around him. They are legit.

In a few more weeks we'll have a little more clarity for each division.
I think the biggest issue for Valley could be their absolute refusal to even play anyone off of that bench. They looked gassed at the end of the Minford game and didn’t sub until the final 1:30 of the 2nd Q. Rebounding could also be an issue, although most teams aren’t going to start a group as big as Minford does.

After seeing Zane Trace is person, I wouldn’t put them too far behind that first group. Their issue comes down to their non-seniors being able to score the ball, which they were able to do when I saw them on Saturday. Their bigs inside are absurdly strong and the Ream kid is one of the better pure scorers in the area. They are a tough matchup.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Zane Trace can play half court with anybody.
Up and down, i.e. Chesapeake in the tournament last year, ZT has some trouble.

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Pfloyd.. ..I know it's only one loss, but I don't think Fairfield Union is going to be as good as you thought. They are just not scoring much and they aren't dominating like a #1 should.
Fairfield Union 39
Teays Valley 52

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Nelsonville-York (5-2) at No. 62 is criminal, Floyd. lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

North Adams by 33 over Fayetteville is legit. FV is good.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Fairfield by 14 over Paint Valley and FF shot zero free throws

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:49 pm Fairfield by 14 over Paint Valley and FF shot zero free throws
Paint Valley never gets called for fouls lol

PV was up at the half too. Good win for the Lions

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:52 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:49 pm Fairfield by 14 over Paint Valley and FF shot zero free throws
Paint Valley never gets called for fouls lol

PV was up at the half too. Good win for the Lions
PV was up like 12-4 after 1

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I think we need to seriously consider New Lexington in the top 8. They are for real and straight obliterating teams.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:17 pm I think we need to seriously consider New Lexington in the top 8. They are for real and straight obliterating teams.
They feel like a top 4 with those scores.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Valley 74
S. Webster 66

Indians have a doozy this weekend vs. Spire Academy, who have kids from all over and defeated D1 Pickerington Central by 35 points.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Good game tonight in Lucasville. Valley got the win but going to have struggles with depth off the bench IF an injury to any of the starters or a team that track meets them for 32 minutes. Half court set when Stuart can catch his wind, they can score almost every possession.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Smeltzy wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:59 pm Pfloyd.. ..I know it's only one loss, but I don't think Fairfield Union is going to be as good as you thought. They are just not scoring much and they aren't dominating like a #1 should.
Fairfield Union 39
Teays Valley 52
Read Logan Elm lost too. Though I also read Logan Elm has some boys out??????

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Return to “Boys Basketball”