D3 Tournament Thread

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: D3 Tournament Thread

Post by bbjunky81 »

socsportsfan1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:46 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:59 pm If I’m not mistaken fan of the youth is a Valley fan.

Whether they got the 4 or 5 that wouldn’t have changed their matchup….. and I don’t see why they would have been able to jump up to #3 over Zane Trace.

All in all, I think the coaches did a very good job across all 3 brackets this year. Sure, a team could possibly move a spot or so….. but I’m not seeing any extreme outliers in any division
Agreed. Personally, I like Valley's path to the District Final more than I do Zane Trace's.
I would agree with that. Valley has a slightly “easier” path to the district final, but then Minford will (most likely) be waiting there. I’d imagine most teams were hoping to avoid Minford.

In my personal opinion, of all the D3 teams that might be able to knock off Minford —- Valley is at the top of that list. It’s tough to beat a team 3 times in a season and players from both teams have played against each other since they were in elementary school. If both can get there, that would be a fun District final matchup.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:06 pm
Barney wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:04 pm Where do you see how each coach voted?
Supposed to be private among the coaches, but usually people find out one way or another.
East District posts a voting matrix for each of their Divisions.

Example their D-II voting matrix. (https://www.ohsaa.org/East-Sports-Tourn ... on-II-2023)

SEDAB should absolutely do this as well.

Post by Ironman92 »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:19 am
danicalifornia wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:06 pm
Barney wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:04 pm Where do you see how each coach voted?
Supposed to be private among the coaches, but usually people find out one way or another.
East District posts a voting matrix for each of their Divisions.

Example their D-II voting matrix. (https://www.ohsaa.org/East-Sports-Tourn ... on-II-2023)

SEDAB should absolutely do this as well.
100%….they are out there. Any Coach being ridiculous would be known, might not change much since they didn’t have the integrity in the first place to not be ridiculous.

If Portsmouth finished as a #19 seed, I’d be interested to what teams seeded them even lower than that….not saying anything ridiculous but just maybe a mess of #20-21 seeds that didn’t tally favorably in the end.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth being seeded #18 didn't surprise me, because we have been very inconsistent. I was hoping for something other than the South Point bracket, but we have to beat Peebles first. We have played a lot of close games, with the biggest margin of defeat being 18 points at South Point early in the season (73-55).

Lost 72-71 to Coal Grove on a 3 pointer at the buzzer
Lost 56-53 in OT to South Point on a 3 pointer at the buzzer
Lost at Ironton In OT 77-71 with an infamous no call near the end of regulation
Lost 72-70 at North Adams; Green Devils scored with 4 seconds to play
Lost 64-60 at Coal Grove
Won 58-57 over Wesley Christian in the Ironton Classic
Won 76-75 vs. Rock Hill
Won 52-48 at Rock Hill

Best win: 80-69 at Fairland, outscored the Dragons 50-31 in the 2nd half.

Bottom line: The Trojans can hang with anybody offensively, but the majority of their problems have been on the defensive end. If that continues, it will be a very short stay in the tourney. Portsmouth hasn't won a sectional since 2017.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

IMO, it was no coincidence that South Point, Fairland, and Portsmouth were all voted into the same district sub-bracket. Nobody outside the OVC wants to face any of those squads in the early rounds.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pembrook burrows III wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:58 pm IMO, it was no coincidence that South Point, Fairland, and Portsmouth were all voted into the same district sub-bracket. Nobody outside the OVC wants to face any of those squads in the early rounds.
The grid would show that to be true or false

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

pembrook burrows III wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:58 pm IMO, it was no coincidence that South Point, Fairland, and Portsmouth were all voted into the same district sub-bracket. Nobody outside the OVC wants to face any of those squads in the early rounds.
Eh... I'm normally a fan of conspiracy theories and whatnot, but I struggle to find this true.

First off, in a Super Sectional, it's soooooo much harder to put the shtick to a team or teams. The highest and lowest seed get thrown out, so the averages are typically pretty dead on with where they belong.

I'd say that Fairland and Portsmouth's inconsistencies is what led them to be seeded where they were, which ended up putting them in the same bracket. Fairland losing to West Portsmouth is one of the biggest head scratchers of the 2022-2023 season. Wheelersburg beat West twice and has a better record than Fairland so it's no surprise they're ranked above them. Who else could Fairland have jumped?

Portsmouth maybe could have been a spot or two higher, but again, their own inconsistencies kind of let the air out of any argument they had to move up.

Dragonguy13
Freshman Team

Post by Dragonguy13 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:46 pm
Eh... I'm normally a fan of conspiracy theories and whatnot, but I struggle to find this true.

First off, in a Super Sectional, it's soooooo much harder to put the shtick to a team or teams. The highest and lowest seed get thrown out, so the averages are typically pretty dead on with where they belong.

I'd say that Fairland and Portsmouth's inconsistencies is what led them to be seeded where they were, which ended up putting them in the same bracket. Fairland losing to West Portsmouth is one of the biggest head scratchers of the 2022-2023 season. Wheelersburg beat West twice and has a better record than Fairland so it's no surprise they're ranked above them. Who else could Fairland have jumped?

Portsmouth maybe could have been a spot or two higher, but again, their own inconsistencies kind of let the air out of any argument they had to move up.
I think you’re spot on about Fairland. They’ve been up and down this year but definitely a team to keep an eye on. They sit exactly where I thought they would be. Kinda thought NW might jump them but the loss Friday and FHS strength of schedule I believe got them the 7. I don’t see anyone 1-6 who they should be in front of for sure.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:09 pm
coop wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:39 pm My gripe would be of I'm NA, they DRUBBED ZT and only had a few more losses.
NA and ZT didn’t play this year. No idea why that says that on maxpreps. ZT’s losses are to Vinton Co, Miami Trace and Warren

NA beat Chesapeake on 11/29
Very weird.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:33 am
socsportsfan1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:46 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:59 pm If I’m not mistaken fan of the youth is a Valley fan.

Whether they got the 4 or 5 that wouldn’t have changed their matchup….. and I don’t see why they would have been able to jump up to #3 over Zane Trace.

All in all, I think the coaches did a very good job across all 3 brackets this year. Sure, a team could possibly move a spot or so….. but I’m not seeing any extreme outliers in any division
Agreed. Personally, I like Valley's path to the District Final more than I do Zane Trace's.
I would agree with that. Valley has a slightly “easier” path to the district final, but then Minford will (most likely) be waiting there. I’d imagine most teams were hoping to avoid Minford.

In my personal opinion, of all the D3 teams that might be able to knock off Minford —- Valley is at the top of that list. It’s tough to beat a team 3 times in a season and players from both teams have played against each other since they were in elementary school. If both can get there, that would be a fun District final matchup.
Both games were very close... I know in the 2nd game Minford was up, and Valley stormed back to tie it, but Falcons got the W.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

There are way too many variables in this to make that happen.

In the old set up with 3 sectional, you bet your last dollar it did. Now? I just do not see how a group of high school coaches could pull it off.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:24 am
There are way too many variables in this to make that happen.

In the old set up with 3 sectional, you bet your last dollar it did. Now? I just do not see how a group of high school coaches could pull it off.
Totally agree. The math would be near impossible to figure out prior considering the abundance of coaches all voting within the same super sectional.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg has made me think they can win the district now. They are starting to close on games that the previously couldn't. Tough district, but I think they are one of the teams that can pull it out.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

District Finals Prediction:

#5 Valley vs #1 Minford
#6 Burg vs #2 South Point
Last edited by coop on Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

coop wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:55 pm District Finals Prediction:

#4 Valley vs #1 Minford
#5 Burg vs #2 South Point
I would say this is most likely...Burg is #6 though

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

My predictions for District Semis:

#1 Minford vs. #8 Northwest
#4 North Adams vs. #5 Valley

#2 South Point vs. #7 Fairland
#3 Zane Trace vs. #6 Wheelersburg

Finals:

#1 Minford vs. #5 Valley
#2 South Point vs. #6 Wheelersburg

Regional Semis:

#1 Minford vs. #2 South Point

Minford wins to play in the Regional final.

No real surprises on my picks. #6 Burg could be beat by #3 Zane Trace, we might be sleeping on Zane Trace a touch. Fairland isn't the Fairland of old but they could potentially knock off South Point in the semi's.

If Wheelersburg were to play South Point that would be a great game, I just think South Point has the type of horse that could lead them to a district title. Burg more balanced and deeper.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Blitz wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:22 am
coop wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:55 pm District Finals Prediction:

#4 Valley vs #1 Minford
#5 Burg vs #2 South Point
I would say this is most likely...Burg is #6 though
I fixed that thank you!!

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:41 am My predictions for District Semis:

#1 Minford vs. #8 Northwest
#4 North Adams vs. #5 Valley

#2 South Point vs. #7 Fairland
#3 Zane Trace vs. #6 Wheelersburg

Finals:

#1 Minford vs. #5 Valley
#2 South Point vs. #6 Wheelersburg

Regional Semis:

#1 Minford vs. #2 South Point

Minford wins to play in the Regional final.

No real surprises on my picks. #6 Burg could be beat by #3 Zane Trace, we might be sleeping on Zane Trace a touch. Fairland isn't the Fairland of old but they could potentially knock off South Point in the semi's.

If Wheelersburg were to play South Point that would be a great game, I just think South Point has the type of horse that could lead them to a district title. Burg more balanced and deeper.
Pretty good picks! A few games could go either way, You could see a Burg vs Valley final, just as well as the Minford/SP. Valley and Minford match up well and have played 2 great games, and Valley and Burg split with the difference being less than 10 TOTAL points in both games.

Should be exciting tournament.

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

North Adams will beat Valley in the District Semis.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

MattyIce wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:24 am North Adams will beat Valley in the District Semis.
I don't know, maybe. We're all probably a little too down on Valley. End of the day - Copley and Buckle are two very talented kids. Another 1000 point scorer in Arnett, and a 6'8" kid in the middle. I got a feeling they figure it out before tournament.

Return to “Boys Basketball”