D4 Tournament Thread

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: D4 Tournament Thread

Post by Ironman92 »

District Semis:

Fairfield vs Western….very intriguing. Fairfield didn’t dominate as some expected against Symmes Valley. Western knows what it takes for a deep tournament run. Western wanted this matchup and are playing in their neighbor’s gym. Western is peaking at the right time. Fairfield losing their top player and a first year coach and the pressure of being the undefeated favorites. Almost every sign leads to the mild upset by Western. Fairfield by 5

Paint Valley vs Green….Paint Valley also peaking at the right time and has all the parts to make a long tourney run. Paint Valley also familiar with the confines. Green has some excellent players and have had a great season….Bearcats by 12

Federal Hocking vs Eastern Pike….Fed Hock travel advantage. Athens has a pretty good shooting gym IMO…that gives Eastern a chance to take this one. Eastern seems like the trendy pick and they’ve been way better than I expected….but going with the Lancers by 10

South Webster vs Notre Dame…I have no clue. South Webster without a huge piece and ND has been very solid. Took longer than expected to put away Whiteoak. South Webster is always hard to predict…either play like gang busters or bracket busters in the first half. Jeeps by 11
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Western by 5. The Indians are headed back to the convo

PV by a gazillion

Fed Hock by about 4. Eastern Pike not going away quietly.

And finally… THE JEEPS ARE HEADED BACK TO THE CONVOOO. 43-38 final you heard it here first. Carve it in stone.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I wanna hear from bbjunky, Pfloyd, danicalifornia and whoever else would like to input on these matchups

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Do the games at Piketon on Monday (Division IV) need a ticket for each game or is one ticket good for both. Thanks.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

a_c_m wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:05 pm Do the games at Piketon on Monday (Division IV) need a ticket for each game or is one ticket good for both. Thanks.
I wouldn't think so - they are District semis.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

smurray wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:12 pm
a_c_m wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:05 pm Do the games at Piketon on Monday (Division IV) need a ticket for each game or is one ticket good for both. Thanks.
I wouldn't think so - they are District semis.
I was looking at the starting times and think it would take longer than that to clear the gym and get ready for the second game. Thanks!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Because the games Monday are at 6:00 and 8:30, that typically means the gym is cleared inbetween games.

As for the matchups, I’m thinking:

I like Fairfield over Western by about 10… it wouldn’t shock me if Western won, but I think the last game was the wake up call Fairfield needed. Two well coached and disciplined teams, Fairfield just has more talent.

I like Paint Valley over Green by 10-15… I think Green is right there after 3 quarters but Paint Valley pulls away late. Part of me thinks maybe we’re not giving Green enough credit here, but Paint Valley is still pretty stinking good.

I like Eastern over Fed Hock. Eastern actually matches up with Fed pretty well and I’ll actually give Eastern the advantage downlow —- the freshman big is a talent for his age. Both teams like to shoot the 3, which means this game could have a variety of different outcomes. Eastern has to handle the pressure of Fed Hock or they can’t win. If they do, they’ll find ways to score in the half court. Eastern by 5.

Last game could go either way. If Webster can rebound consistently, they can win. If Notre Dame can handle pressure, they can win. I’d bet this is a pretty low scoring game that is decided in the last minute. Give me the Jeeps by 4.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:26 pm Because the games Monday are at 6:00 and 8:30, that typically means the gym is cleared inbetween games.

I like Fairfield over Western by about 10… it wouldn’t shock me if Western won, but I think the last game was the wake up call Fairfield needed. Two well coached and disciplined teams, Fairfield just has more talent.

I like Paint Valley over Green by 10-15… I think Green is right there after 3 quarters but Paint Valley pulls away late. Part of me thinks maybe we’re not giving Green enough credit here, but Paint Valley is still pretty stinking good.

I like Eastern over Fed Hock. Eastern actually matches up with Fed pretty well and I’ll actually give Eastern the advantage downlow —- the freshman big is a talent for his age. Both teams like to shoot the 3, which means this game could have a variety of different outcomes. Eastern has to handle the pressure of Fed Hock or they can’t win. If they do, they’ll find ways to score in the half court. Eastern by 5.

Last game could go either way. If Webster can rebound consistently, they can win. If Notre Dame can handle pressure, they can win. I’d bet this is a pretty low scoring game that is decided in the last minute. Give me the Jeeps by 4.
The bracket that I have has the starting times as 6:15 and 8:00, at both Athens and Piketon. That was my reason for asking. ty

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

St Joe job just opened up

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:55 pm St Joe job just opened up
Not surprised but where did you hear that ?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

a_c_m wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:32 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:26 pm Because the games Monday are at 6:00 and 8:30, that typically means the gym is cleared inbetween games.

The bracket that I have has the starting times as 6:15 and 8:00, at both Athens and Piketon. That was my reason for asking. ty
Brackets on OHSAA website have been changed and updated. Tip-off times are now 6:00 and 8:30.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:04 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:55 pm St Joe job just opened up
Not surprised but where did you hear that ?

It was on Facebook a little bit ago - Greg Bryant

St. Joseph high school in Ironton, Ohio will be accepting applications for the position of Varsity Boys Basketball Coach. Applications can be picked up in high school office at 912 S. 6th St. Applications will be accepted thru March 10. We are a D4 school in the OHSAA and a member of the Southern Ohio Conference. Any questions feel free to contact me at 740-479-1713 or message me here.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I believe 6:15 and 8:00 are correct but trying to confirm it…

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:15 pm
a_c_m wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:32 pm

Brackets on OHSAA website have been changed and updated. Tip-off times are now 6:00 and 8:30.
Unless they didn’t tell the coaches it’s 6:15 and 8:00..

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

When Piketon hosted the D2 girls district semis, we had a lot of trouble getting the Unioto players and fans to clear the floor so Athens could warm up. Even after I announced it several times and members of our administration were asking people to leave the floor, they were reluctant to do so.

I was told by a member of our athletic department that the first game tonight would start at 6, but haven’t been told of a change in starting time for the second game, but I will try to confirm the times. I will also see about the ticket situation.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Tipoff times for tonight at Piketon:

6:00pm
8:30pm

Tickets needed for each game.

Sorry, I am just the messenger.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

theyoungprodigy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:00 am the jeeps will be losing tonight after taking a team vote on roberts to play which voted yes but the coach still said no they need roberts to go far. poor coaching choice here
Hmmmm.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

mikepike is correct, and unfortunately it's the same for @ Athens tonight. Tip-off's are at 6:00 and 8:30, need a ticket for both games.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

theyoungprodigy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:00 am the jeeps will be losing tonight after taking a team vote on roberts to play which voted yes but the coach still said no they need roberts to go far. poor coaching choice here
Sounds like an interesting situation. Why even let the team vote if the coach knew he was gonna say no? Or was this done behind coaches back? Either way, not a good situation at all going in to a game.

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

Team Vote? What is this the NBA?

What a joke

Return to “Boys Basketball”