Chillicothe leaving scol after 2016-17 season

Bronc21
All Conference

Chillicothe leaving scol after 2016-17 season

Post by Bronc21 »

According to the chillicothe gazette, chillicothe is leaving and soon to follow, greenfield,Hillsboro,Miami trace,and Washington ch

Logangrad
All State

Re: Chillicothe leaving scol after 2016-17 season

Post by Logangrad »

"Hi; Chillicothe? Yes, this is the SEOAL. Can we talk?"

Live Like A Champion!
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Jackson will be joining them in a new league in 2017-2018. From the looks of it, it will be a 6 team league to start. They are going to be inviting other schools around the general area in as well, but I'm unsure if any of those schools will be willing to leave their already established leagues.

The Clinton County schools will head West to find new leagues. Although, I could see East Clinton joining the SHAC if there would be another school going in as well.

Rosscoresident
Freshman Team

Post by Rosscoresident »

Unioto should join that league in order to be joined with schools their own size. Doubt it will happen though

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

It would help Unioto competitively to leave the SVC, but it would hurt it financially to leave the SVC. Plus, the SVC is extremely stable, with no changes since Bishop Flaget closed in the mid 80s.

I would be completely fine with them leaving, but it likely will not happen.

With the 6 schools that are mentioned to be creating the new league, the travel times still wouldn't be bad and Unioto plays all of those schools (minus Hillsboro) in the non league in basketball as is.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

danicalifornia wrote:It would help Unioto competitively to leave the SVC, but it would hurt it financially to leave the SVC. Plus, the SVC is extremely stable, with no changes since Bishop Flaget closed in the mid 80s.

With the 6 schools that are mentioned to be creating the new league, the travel times still wouldn't be bad and Unioto plays all of those schools (minus Hillsboro) in the non league in basketball as is.
dani - help me out with your thoughts on the financial loss to leave the SVC. Is the gate versus current SVC as opposed to the 5-6 new schools that much different in your opinion? Would it be possible to offset that difference by scheduling a few of your biggest rivals in non-conference if you did switch?

Curious as to your gut reaction on what kind of difference you would see.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

doubleplay643 wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:It would help Unioto competitively to leave the SVC, but it would hurt it financially to leave the SVC. Plus, the SVC is extremely stable, with no changes since Bishop Flaget closed in the mid 80s.

dani - help me out with your thoughts on the financial loss to leave the SVC. Is the gate versus current SVC as opposed to the 5-6 new schools that much different in your opinion? Would it be possible to offset that difference by scheduling a few of your biggest rivals in non-conference if you did switch?

Curious as to your gut reaction on what kind of difference you would see.
I think the nearness (is that a word?) of the current schools helps a great deal with the current finances. I think having the long terms rivals helps a little bit as well. I do think that having new schools would affect it at first, but I think over time, the rivalries could become even greater, especially with tournament games.

I think if Unioto leaves the SVC, they would likely never play another SVC school (besides ZT) in any sport besides baseball again. So, I think that could likely affect things financially when it's all said and done.

I want to see Unioto move on to a new challenge, but I also want to see the school take a long look at things and how the school projects (will it keep growing or will it get smaller?) for future enrollment. Also, Unioto hasn't been a historically strong football or basketball program, so the recent success of basketball shouldn't be all that is looked at.

Once again, I'll state that I would be fine with Unioto moving on, especially to that newly forming league, because the travel would still be very manageable. Should be fun to see what all comes out of this story.

Rosscoresident
Freshman Team

Post by Rosscoresident »

Why wouldn't Unioto continue to play the current SVC teams in any sport ever again? Never is a long time. That doesn't make sense to me

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Rosscoresident wrote:Why wouldn't Unioto continue to play the current SVC teams in any sport ever again? Never is a long time. That doesn't make sense to me
I may be wrong, it happens to all of us, but I think that it will end up in a situation like the county schools have with Chillicothe. If Unioto continues to grow and the others continue to get slightly smaller, it wouldn't really make sense to keep playing.

I hope I'm wrong on this, because I enjoy the rivalry games.

Rosscoresident
Freshman Team

Post by Rosscoresident »

I wouldn't envision that happening though. The county schools all play McClain regularly in many sports. Chillicothe is a little different than the other schools being mentioned in my view. Chillicothe is as much bigger than Unioto as Unioto is Paint Valley, Adena, Huntington and Southeastern I believe. That's just a little too much difference in size for the smaller schools to compete in most sports.

Another difference with Chillicothe is that they were never in a league with any of the county schools, thus a rivalry never got started.

I could easily see a continuing rivalry for Unioto and the other county schools. Maybe not every school in every sport, but certainly every school in at least some sports

HighLightReel
Freshman Team

Post by HighLightReel »

Unioto will never leave the SVC. They are the big fish in the little pond.

Spud
Riding the Bench

Post by Spud »

"it would help Unioto competitively to leave the SVC, but it would hurt it financially to leave the SVC. Plus, the SVC is extremely stable, with no changes since Bishop Flaget closed in the mid 80s."

It may not hurt too much, financially. Hillsboro, McClain, Miami Trace and Washington Court House all bring huge crowds to away games in basketball and football (especially McClain, who brings the whole town). They often have more people in the stands than the Home Team. Unioto would be a great fit with these schools.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Rosscoresident wrote:I wouldn't envision that happening though. The county schools all play McClain regularly in many sports. Chillicothe is a little different than the other schools being mentioned in my view. Chillicothe is as much bigger than Unioto as Unioto is Paint Valley, Adena, Huntington and Southeastern I believe. That's just a little too much difference in size for the smaller schools to compete in most sports.

Another difference with Chillicothe is that they were never in a league with any of the county schools, thus a rivalry never got started.

I could easily see a continuing rivalry for Unioto and the other county schools. Maybe not every school in every sport, but certainly every school in at least some sports
Chillicothe and Unioto have gone at it for a long time in track. Been at a few meets where they were both there and it seemed they went at it just has hard head to head as for winning the meet.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/story ... /80984672/

Jackson and Unioto would be a good fit making the new league 7 members.
Waverly could replace Unioto in the SVC.

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

danicalifornia wrote:Jackson will be joining them in a new league in 2017-2018. From the looks of it, it will be a 6 team league to start. They are going to be inviting other schools around the general area in as well, but I'm unsure if any of those schools will be willing to leave their already established leagues.

The Clinton County schools will head West to find new leagues. Although, I could see East Clinton joining the SHAC if there would be another school going in as well.
I can see Clinton-Massie and Wilmington together joining the SWBC big division and bumping down Brookville to the small division, and then East Clinton joining Georgetown to the SHAC since the SBAAC (Georgetown's conference) is losing a couple members. This also gives the SHAC an opportunity to start football. Fayetteville-Perry and Manchester has varsity football, North Adams and West Union has Club football, and Eastern Brown has junior high football. You could get a decent 6 team football league with the addition of East Clinton and if the other 3 members move their football to varsity football. All other sports can play a 16 game conference schedule while Soccer can continue round robin scheduling with 10 boys and girls soccer teams or go 2 divisions (big and small divisions as usual) and play 13 conference games instead of 9 conference games.

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

I do not see the Unioto leaving the SVC. However, if they were to do it this would be the time to do it.

The only way I see Unioto in this mix with the 6 is if the 6 join the Scioto Valley Conference. Split the league into 2 Divisions. Scioto Division could be Adena, Huntington, Southeastern, Westfall, Piketon, Zane Trace and Paint Valley. The Valley Division could be Unioto, Chillicothe, Jackson, Miami Trace, Washington CH, Greenfield and Hillsboro. If the league wanted to run at 14 game league schedule in all sports except football, play 6 teams in division twic and have 2 cross over games. In all sports except football most of the 6 schools schedule SVC schools.

Football would be the odd man out but Greenfield and Hillsboro have scheduled SVC schools currently or before. The other 4 would probably have to pick up an extra out of area game.

mray23
All Conference

Post by mray23 »

bsee12345 wrote:I do not see the Unioto leaving the SVC. However, if they were to do it this would be the time to do it.

The only way I see Unioto in this mix with the 6 is if the 6 join the Scioto Valley Conference. Split the league into 2 Divisions. Scioto Division could be Adena, Huntington, Southeastern, Westfall, Piketon, Zane Trace and Paint Valley. The Valley Division could be Unioto, Chillicothe, Jackson, Miami Trace, Washington CH, Greenfield and Hillsboro. If the league wanted to run at 14 game league schedule in all sports except football, play 6 teams in division twic and have 2 cross over games. In all sports except football most of the 6 schools schedule SVC schools.

Football would be the odd man out but Greenfield and Hillsboro have scheduled SVC schools currently or before. The other 4 would probably have to pick up an extra out of area game.
I like this idea

The Tankster
Waterboy

Post by The Tankster »

This is the perfect opportunity for The U. We've been needing to find a bigger conference for a few years now and this league would be perfect for us. Everyone in the SVC hates us and looks at us as the big bully and, honestly, I understand why. Let's hope our administration gets this done.

Humbolt
Waterboy

Post by Humbolt »

Why wouldn't the SVC take this opportunity to expand into big school/ small school. It would solve Unioto " dominating" the league. I feel like this opportunity is just hanging out there for them.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

smurray wrote:http://www.chillicothegazette.com/story ... /80984672/

Jackson and Unioto would be a good fit making the new league 7 members.
Waverly could replace Unioto in the SVC.
Steve, what impact do you see the A-plant layoffs having on Waverly's enrollment? It seems like they will only get smaller. Will they drop a division? Would a potentially smaller enrollment affect their conference choices?

Return to “Boys Basketball”