Portsmouth Trojans

PTownhoops
Riding the Bench

Re: Portsmouth Trojans

Post by PTownhoops »

I remember when Alphonso Watkins could only play defense until his senior year. He use to guard me in practice and he could really play some D. He then went on to play at Miami of Ohio along with Tubbs and Lisath. Wilson Elementary School was good to Alphonso and Trojan Dave as a matter of fact. But the REAL place to play was McKinley Middle School, the "ville" and Dreamland pool. Dean Frost could bank them from anywhere at McKinley and Danny Tyler was at home.

GO TROJANS

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

PTownhoops: I never played at Wilson.......my homecourt was Lincoln School, which sadly is now gone. I had some great times at that court, and played against some very good players, many of whom played for the Trojans.

PTownhoops
Riding the Bench

Post by PTownhoops »

Sorry Dave I got my schools mixed up. Saw you yest. in the FRONT ROW!!!!

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Ptown hoops .. I remember as a 6th grader with big Mike Scott as a 5th grader on our Mckell team making a trip to Mckinley MS ... We were terrified and got beat to death .. LOL Back in the day of Xavier U's left handed guard that was a PHS grad . name ??

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

ManitouDan2 wrote:Ptown hoops .. I remember as a 6th grader with big Mike Scott as a 5th grader on our Mckell team making a trip to Mckinley MS ... We were terrified and got beat to death .. LOL Back in the day of Xavier U's left handed guard that was a PHS grad . name ??
Kyle Taylor.. Kyle played at Marshall for 2 seasons before transferring to Xavier. He was very successful for both programs, helping both to reach the NCAA tourney.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Ole boy could D up !

AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Post by AllAboutTheU »

Loved playing at Lincoln when I was little. When the big boys didn't have enough, I was always a good fill in! TrojanDave always raining 3's.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

A lot of ball played on the schoolyard courts back in the day. As a kid growing up at Mound Park, the natural court to play at was Highland Elem, Eventually made it to McKinley, Roosevelt and Lincoln during the early to mid 80's. Some great games played vs many great players on these courts.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Coach Collins and the Men of Troy will be back...as always more talent coming up. Great job Geno on another successful season.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Jeff: I am very proud of the job that Eugene has done in his 7 years. He completely turned around the basketball program and put it back in a position to consistently contend for the state. I also am very proud of the job you have done everywhere you have been, and one day would love to see you back at PHS.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth is now tied with Cleveland Villa-Angela St.Joseph for the 2nd most state appearances all time with 15, after the Vikings won their regional. Villa-Angela is the defending state champion in D3.

Return to “Boys Basketball”