Boys Regional Semi Finals: Chillicothe vs. Vinton County

Who's going to win?

Total votes: 0

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Re: Boys Regional Semi Finals: Chillicothe vs. Vinton County

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

I forgot 1 other team both clubs payed this year, Waverly. Again not a great measuring stick, but a common team reguardless.
Ball handling for the VC guards will be key. The positive to this is that the Vikes have improved each game with this being the other teams focus. During the GM game Grillo really stepped it up, only turned the ball over only twice while dishing out 8 assts. If Vc can have a balenced scoring attack with 3 or more players in double figures, this game will be very interesting.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I felt that Vinton County beat McClain because (1) they dominated GM in the paint, and (2) they handled McClain's pressure better than they did vs. WCH.

I think these same two things will be critical as to whether the Vikings will continue to the regional final. Chillicothe did show some vulnerability vs. Logan Elm, and what was most surprising was how the Cavaliers allowed the Braves to knock down perimeter shots with essentially little inside play. I have seen CHS about 8 times now, and that was the first time I have seen Chillicothe's defense allow a team that much success from the outside.

I would say that in this game the Cavaliers will come out and defend the perimeter with more intensity......and if the guards for Vinton County can manage it, it will be a huge plus for VC. Guthrie will be really tested against Chambers, and it will be important for him to box him out. Ray is a very active offensive rebounder.

I said before the season that Chillicothe would win the Athens regional, and I'm sticking to my pick. But Vinton County is riding some momentum after winning their first district title ever, and I look for the Vikings to play a very good game if they can handle CHS's pressure out front.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

trojandave wrote:I felt that Vinton County beat McClain because (1) they dominated GM in the paint, and (2) they handled McClain's pressure better than they did vs. WCH.

I think these same two things will be critical as to whether the Vikings will continue to the regional final. Chillicothe did show some vulnerability vs. Logan Elm, and what was most surprising was how the Cavaliers allowed the Braves to knock down perimeter shots with essentially little inside play. I have seen CHS about 8 times now, and that was the first time I have seen Chillicothe's defense allow a team that much success from the outside.

I would say that in this game the Cavaliers will come out and defend the perimeter with more intensity......and if the guards for Vinton County can manage it, it will be a huge plus for VC. Guthrie will be really tested against Chambers, and it will be important for him to box him out. Ray is a very active offensive rebounder.

I said before the season that Chillicothe would win the Athens regional, and I'm sticking to my pick. But Vinton County is riding some momentum after winning their first district title ever, and I look for the Vikings to play a very good game if they can handle CHS's pressure out front.

trojandave,

Good to hear from the wisest of wise men. It was also great to see you at the game Friday. You are correct in that we did not defend the perimeter well (especially early). After reviewing the game later, I felt that once we speed up the game and defended a bit better, LE was not knocking down shots. They had to have shot 70 plus percent in the 1st quarter and probably 50% plus in the second. They hit just over 50% for the game, which tells me our D locked down in the second half. I think our D will be fine, but we need to get back into rhythm on the offensive end.

Both these kids will leave it on the floor Thursday night (just like last year when we played Zanesville in the Regional Semi). My hope is that whoever win, has something left in the tank for Saturday. I truly want to see one of these teams get to C-Bus. Obviously, I want my Cavs and I fully expect them to play much better then they did Friday night. With that said, these are 15-18 year old kids and you never know. We in Chilly will be there in support of these young men, and as a few of us discuss, this has been an incredible journey. From the brink of despair, to State wide respect (in many circles). This season has been a huge success (even with the SEOAL championship loss), and anything from this point on is gravy.

I am hungry right now, so I would like some of that gravy with my biscuits.

GO CAVS!!! REFUSE TO LOSE!!! TAKE NO PRISONERS!!! 3 DOWN!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Hitchbone64: It is always good to talk basketball with you, and I will be there Thursday night to watch the Cavaliers represent the SEOAL!!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Cavs by 23

dish it
Riding the Bench

Post by dish it »

one factor i havent heard yet is the match up between guthrie and chambers. both are very skilled individuals and it should be a great match up. i would give chambers the edge on leeping but i believe guthrie is a bit stronger and uses his big body very well to get position. they both are hard workers and they could be a key factor if either one can shut each other down.

racinerebel
Riding the Bench

Post by racinerebel »

Go Vikes Go TVC!!

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Good Luck to V.C from an opponent earlier this season.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I figured Greenfield/VC would be tight.

I thought LE should've been the #2 over GM.

I think LE would've beaten GM and I think they would've beaten VC.

Chilly by 15-20.

VC's only chance is to get Chambers and Hump in early foul trouble and then play smart and hang on in the 2nd half. Guthrie can get Chambers into trouble....Hump does get some cheap ones......but VC must handle the press to stand any chance.

Chilly 77
VC 61

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

dish it wrote:one factor i havent heard yet is the match up between guthrie and chambers. both are very skilled individuals and it should be a great match up. i would give chambers the edge on leeping but i believe guthrie is a bit stronger and uses his big body very well to get position. they both are hard workers and they could be a key factor if either one can shut each other down.

Look for Guthrie to see a mix of Chambers, Dawes, and even Mike Newman. Dawes is strong as an ox, and that gives Ray a chance to come off and help. Newman can give us valuable minutes off the bench and can pass and score. It is a shame is knee is in the shape it is.
Coach K. rarely has one guy covering the same guy the whole game. I would also expect to see Guthrie have to help handle the ball (he did against Greenfield). That may take him off the block as well. If they wait to long for him to get to the block, the ball may be going the other way.

I would love to see VC put up quick shots and get into an open court game.

bitbucket
Freshman Team

Post by bitbucket »

Could be a really big game for Newman...... Go Mike.....

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

VC also has another bigman who is not too shabby in Jake Prater. As proven many times this year if you focus on Guthrie he WILL pick up the slack, as will the shooters Eberts and Stewart.

The Guthrie/Chambers match up is one I have been looking forward to all year. Last year in this matchup Guthrie had 12 at the half and VC went away from the gameplan in the 2nd and stopped taking the ball inside. One thing about Guthrie is you will not see more pollished bigman in this area. We in Vinton Co have been very lucky to have a player of his caliber and you can bet he will bring his "A" game.

As Hitch said I look for Chilly to rotate defenders on him, because he is very good at getting his counterparts in early foul trouble. ie... GM's big last week, as well as Walls from Waverly and Cunningham from Waterford.

cat1606
Riding the Bench

Post by cat1606 »

unless Vc recruited some ballhanders should be 15-20 point cavs win easy, this game doesnt scare me as much as the logan elm game did.

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

I really hope Newman can come in and conribute in this game. IMO, he is one of the emotional leaders on this team and works as hard or harder than anybody. I didn't think the knee would be this bad when it happenned but you feel bad for a kid to miss football(as a precaution) because of his shoulders and now be hindered in basketball all in his senior year. He would really help this team if he can play close to 100% for the final push towards state.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

gymratt wrote:I really hope Newman can come in and conribute in this game. IMO, he is one of the emotional leaders on this team and works as hard or harder than anybody. I didn't think the knee would be this bad when it happenned but you feel bad for a kid to miss football(as a precaution) because of his shoulders and now be hindered in basketball all in his senior year. He would really help this team if he can play close to 100% for the final push towards state.

Excellent post gymratt...To see Mike grab that District Championship trophy and squeeze it like there was no tomorrow made me feel proud. He gives 110% when he is out there even with the injuries. I guarantee you if he gets some PT, he will make some hay around the basket.

CHS Sports
Freshman Team

Post by CHS Sports »

Hitch- you might want to trade mark your take no prisoners while you still can because you know what happened to refuse to lose from last year. lol

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

CHS Sports wrote:Hitch- you might want to trade mark your take no prisoners while you still can because you know what happened to refuse to lose from last year. lol

CHS Sports,

I thought about it, but I figured if it would help the school spirit to come up with something catchy, I could be good for something. The only problem is a guy can't get his hands on a "REFUSE TO LOSE" shirt. Sherri promised me one, but has not delivered. I might have to stop by the school......

My hope is we have as many Students show up Thursday as possible. VC will bring a huge contingent, and we need to be there strong as well.

CHS Sports
Freshman Team

Post by CHS Sports »

As far as the game is concerned, Chillicothe by 13. No disrespect towards the VC crowd, especially with the treatment people give them, but i believe CHS will step up for this game after having a very off night against Logan Elm. I know its kind of an echo of earlier posts but look for the Cavs to push the tempo and pressure the Vikings guards into many turnovers. I dont see any of these seniors leaving on a game where they know they should be advancing.

CHS Sports
Freshman Team

Post by CHS Sports »

hitchbone64 wrote:
CHS Sports wrote:Hitch- you might want to trade mark your take no prisoners while you still can because you know what happened to refuse to lose from last year. lol

CHS Sports,

I thought about it, but I figured if it would help the school spirit to come up with something catchy, I could be good for something. The only problem is a guy can't get his hands on a "REFUSE TO LOSE" shirt. Sherri promised me one, but has not delivered. I might have to stop by the school......

My hope is we have as many Students show up Thursday as possible. VC will bring a huge contingent, and we need to be there strong as well.

yeah i know, our crowd has been down by good numbers compared to last year IMO. hopefully people will realize how special and rare this group is and decide to show up but i also understand there are other circumstances that can determine when fans are able to show up.

Army
S

Post by Army »

No disrespect to a outstanding VC Vikings team from the TVC-Ohio but if our CAVS play their A game, and I believe the CAVS will Thursday, the CAVS could win by 12 to 20 plus points. But that's why they play the game. We will have to wait and see. We can predict all we want on here, but the kids will have the final say on the court.

Hitchbone64, I don't know about you, but I look for the CAVS to push up the tempo and press VC. I also see our CAVS with multiple looks. Look for Ray and Seth to be big-time inside along with Mike and Ron too. :-D

Also look for Jordan to help out. I like the match-ups with Humpty, Caleb and Stu mixing it up on the Hardwood. If the game gets turned on and Chillicothe takes over in a commanding manner, look for Nathan, Gregg and James to get some time on the court to, playing inside. Also, look for Michael at the point if Chillicothe opens up a big lead over VC.

Good luck to both respected schools. It's gonna be a good game.

GO CAVS refuse to lose :!: :-D

Roll Big Blue and White to Victory :!: :-D

GO SEOAL :!: :-D

Return to “Boys Basketball”