Will we ever have a state champ

G.W.A.
All Conference

Will we ever have a state champ

Post by G.W.A. »

Will southeastern Ohio ever win a state championship in basketball with local kids?
Dont say oak hill or webster. I'am talking homegrown kids playing where they grew up.

Thoughts

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Re: Will we ever have a state champ

Post by NewEra »

Oak Hill and SW's players were still southern ohio players regardless of transfers. What about teams like Taft? Staying home is not just an issue down here.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

G.W.A. wrote:Will southeastern Ohio ever win a state championship in basketball with local kids?
Dont say oak hill or webster. I'am talking homegrown kids playing where they grew up.

Thoughts

Just one word comes to mind in regards to that question. TROJANS!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

1 player ruins the whole bunch, huh?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Really? South Webster had 1 player that wasn't born and raised in the town. ONE! Are you forgetting they had went to the Regional Final the year before (losing to the eventual State Champs, Africentric, who eventually had to forfeit the Regional title over to South Webster), and the State Semi-Final the year before that (losing to the eventual state Champion, Holgate, at the BUZZER!) Before Waginger even transferred in, this was talked about as THE TEAM in Division 4 that was going to win it all. They were the favorite State-wide in D4 PRE Waginger. Your comment about 'home-grown' boys is quite a slap in the face to the South Webster kids who worked their asses off.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

Waginger added a different part of the game to that team when he came to town. I think they had a dang good chance of wining it all if he didn't transfer also though.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Who cares where a kid is from "originally"? Once their family moves into "your" community, don't they become "one of you"????
Or is there some kind of waiting period before a person can qualify for a Southeastern Ohio Green Card????

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

This is a good/stupid thread.

Yes, it has already occurred. Oak Hill and South Webster already accomplished that goal. There is always a multiple kids on a team who didn't start in their current school system.

Trying to suggest that you have to win a title with ALL home grown kids is nearly impossible.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

WitnessProtection wrote:Who cares where a kid is from "originally"? Once their family moves into "your" community, don't they become "one of you"????
Or is there some kind of waiting period before a person can qualify for a Southeastern Ohio Green Card????
"Ohio Green Card", good one witness..... No such thing as 100% home grown talent anymore.... People need to get over this issue and quit using it as a crutch.....

Regionalchamps2011
Waterboy

Post by Regionalchamps2011 »

southern ohio has had the talent , i think to win a state title, you have to get ....uhh...lucky i guess, what i mean is......what if blake justice went to manchester?? div 4 state title......what if blake blevins and travis combs grew up in peebles? ....possible div 3 state title?? or if a certain ncaa div-1 STARTER would of came back to play for peebles? div 3 state title.........we've had the talent in this area, just havent had the right group go to the right school at the right time.......hopefully it'll happen one of these days

bobsaget
Riding the Bench

Post by bobsaget »

Chillicothe won state in 08 with only 1 kid who wasn't "homegrown."

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Eastern and Waterford girls have a decent chance

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Regionalchamps2011 wrote:southern ohio has had the talent , i think to win a state title, you have to get ....uhh...lucky i guess, what i mean is......what if blake justice went to manchester?? div 4 state title......what if blake blevins and travis combs grew up in peebles? ....possible div 3 state title?? or if a certain ncaa div-1 STARTER would of came back to play for peebles? div 3 state title.........we've had the talent in this area, just havent had the right group go to the right school at the right time.......hopefully it'll happen one of these days
:lol: Someone should make a thread titled "woulda coulda shoulda won a state title if they didnt move." :122245 I would put my hometown Peebles Indians at the top of that list. Im sure with Trevor Setty(6'9", offered a walk on spot at Oklahoma State, MVP in the NAIA D1 National tourny last season), Treg Setty(6'9", Plays big minutes for D1 Southern Illinois at the moment), Eric Carroll(6', Hillsboro, D2 All-District player), and Kraig Unger(heard a rumor he went to Peebles for a while, nowhere near sure on this one, 6'4", D3 District player of the year a couple years ago at North Adams, UC Clermont/Southern State) we would have been odds on favorites to recieve a few banners.

Not sure the team in 08 would have lost a game
"Woulda,coulda, shoulda roster"(I may have missed a player or two)
Position/name/grade/college the played for or accomplishments

PG Andrew Seaman-sophomore(Marietta College, All-State)
PG Andy Countryman-freshman(Mount St. Joseph, All-State)
PG Nate Stephens-sophomore(was on the varsity squad all 4 years)
SG Blake Justice-freshman(University of Akron-District Player of the Year 11', All-State)
SG Kraig Unger-junior(UC Clermont-District Player of the Year 09', All-State)
F Treg Setty- freshman(D1 Southern Illinois, Regional Player of the year in Kentucky)
F Eric Carroll-freshman(All-District)
F Eric Collier-sophomore(All-District)
F Tyler Arnold-junior(All-District, was at or near 10ppg all four years of high school)
F Trevor Setty-senior(National tourny MVP for NAIA champions Pikeville College)
F Tyler Caudill-junior(2 year starter on the varsity)
F Matt Reno-junior(Southern State Community College)
C Evan Meade-junior(6'5"/6'6" post)
C Michael Dunlap-senior(6'3"/6'4" post)
Last edited by TribeManiac10 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Regionalchamps2011
Waterboy

Post by Regionalchamps2011 »

If Adams county was one school ( would prob be div 2? 1?? ) not sure on the numbers .... But they would of fielded some pretty decent teams over the years.....take north Adams 26-1 season and supplement all the best players from around the county?? Granted the competition is tougher at higher levels .... Would still be fun though lol

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

In answer to the topic question, Portsmouth won state titles in 1931, 1961, 1978, and 1988........don't know all the details about the 31 champions, but the other 3 all had Portsmouth kids.

Bucknut27
Varsity

Post by Bucknut27 »

peytonhillis wrote:Chillicothe won state in 08 with only 1 kid who wasn't "homegrown."
Didn't Hitchens transfer from ZT?

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Bucknut27 wrote:
peytonhillis wrote:Chillicothe won state in 08 with only 1 kid who wasn't "homegrown."
Wasent he from Chillicothe originally though?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

North Adams 1996 if refs had a clue.

Marshall 1928

and our boys from Lawrence Co back in the 30's

ChillSoftball
Freshman Team

Post by ChillSoftball »

Bucknut27 wrote:
Oh goodness who doesn't already know this? Humpty is from Chillicothe, city born and city raised. He went to Zane Trace for one year to play basketball and football. Even if he had been born in raised in the ZT district I would still consider him homegrown. Kingston is 8 miles north of the city limits. Ray Chambers was from Cincinnati and came in his junior year. He was pretty familiar with Chillicothe as he played AAU ball on Humpty and Dawes' team. There will probably never be a homegrown title winner in any sport. In So. Ohio there are too many districts all crammed near each other.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

This post was not meant to be about sw or oh. You guys bring it up then complain about it. Read the post b4 you type or if you dont like it then dont post on it. This site has become a joke. I forgot about the 88 portsmouth team. They were fun too watch, my apologies to trojan fans.

Return to “Boys Basketball”