Varsity

Chillicothe vs Jackson 12-30-08

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

Hopefully, the CAVS get back on track.

beaverlover
SE

Re: Chillicothe vs Jackson 12-30-08

Post by beaverlover »

This is exactly what Chillicothe needs to get back on track........Cavs by 30.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Good luck to the Ironmen.

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

Cavs big.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Chilli may be off track right now, but I dont see Jackson being much of a challeng. Chilli by 20

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson by 40+........oh I guess this isn't the 7th grade girls forum.

Chilly is not as good as last year.....but they are still far above Jackson.

Chilly by double digits....but they won't be able to name their score like last year.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

final
chillicothe 83 - jackson 31

chilli starters 34 pts. bench 49 pts.
chilli only scored 6 pts the 3rd qtr but the bench were lights out.
chilli forced 33 turnovers and called off the press at halftime.
my observation after watching the jv game is a few kids should be seeing some decent time on the varsity. that branden beverly kid is one heck of a ballplayer. #24 on the varsity, thompson kid, should have some serious consideration for starting. was impressed by the vanvoorhis kid also. couple senior starters need to step it up or take a seat. jv and varsity is loaded with athletes and good "basketball" players...next few years chilli should have one heck of a team.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I was wrong.

Chilly with 33 forced turnovers.....22 in the 1st half

Chilly with 16 steals?

WOW.

I may change my Chilly-Portsmouth pick on the pickems contest....but Burg beating Ironton in Ironton is throwing me off.

Good Luck to Chilly

Jackson boys, keep your heads up for Friday.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

What was the reserve score? Thanks

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

chilli jv's won but dont exact score......something like 54-21

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

BuckeyeCav...Do you have a reserve score final? thanks.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Just returned from the "Hat" tonight. First, I will say, I have been off the threads for a few days recovering from a few things (including to much shopping). However, I wish I would have got on here to repeat, my Cavs cannot shot the ball right now. My goodness, we cannot throw the ball in the bucket outside 12 feet.

In any event, we got back in the W column. The one thing I noticed is that we will continue to play D. Our perimeter defense will determine how well we play this year. Knights has it figured out. Turner does it in spurts but will get better. Danta Thomson has to figure it out. He is a tremendous athlete but missing basically two years has hurt his growth in the court knowledge. Tonight against the young Ironmen, we force 30 plus turnovers. We need to force 15 plus per game to get some easy hoops (because we cannot shot).

As for the Ironman and Coach Jordan...I love his coaching style. Those kids played their hearts out in the 3rd qtr and their starters outplayed out starters. It is tough to maintain intensity when you are up a bunch, but our third qtr looked like the Ironton 3rd qtr.

Back to the Cavs, my guy Seth Dawes is about to get on a roll. He is getting his 8 plus boards and hitting for double figures each night. In limited minutes tonight, he was just off hitting for a big night. It is coming. Knights knocked down a few pull up jumpers tonight which is encouraging. He also played excellent D and his usual floor game. Turner played another solid game after getting lost in the Ironton game and the 1st half of the Logan Elm game. He is playing with confidence and will only get better.

That said, those 3 are our offense right now. Smith and Benson still have to get out of the football mode and get their basketball rhythm going. That will come, but Ronnie looks out of snyc right now. Jordan is not taking many shots, but is working hard on the boards. We need both of them to get 6-10 pts per game.

The bench tonight got major minutes. Greg VanVoklinburg is going to continue to get major minutes and James VanVoorhis played a nice game. If he picks up his defense, he will continue to get valuable minutes. I thought Eric Young and Landon Beverly looked very good defensively. We also got our first look at Jalen Ragland (soph). He got is first varsity points and threw down a nice dunk in the JV game. He has a chance to be a player. As he gets stronger on D and gains experience, his ability to knock down perimeter shots can help us against the zone we will face all year.

Overall, we need to get Coach K. back healthy for Friday and come out and play 4 qtrs against the Trojans who will be favored in our first match up of the year. Down on the River we go.

GO CAVS!!! 2008 STATE CHAMPS!!! and Still looking for an identity this year....

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Hitchbones...Ya' got a reserve final?

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Hitchbones...I'm going with the 54-21 reserve score in the reserve league standings.

On the sidelines
Riding the Bench

Post by On the sidelines »

I have to address this after a couple years of reading several post. Bronc21, I have noticed that you are very critical of Jackson sports. I am wondering if you are a graduate of Wellston and have jumped on the Chillicothe band wagon. It is very tough to read all the negative comments about Jackson in these tough times. However, if you are not from Wellston, disregard my comments. But if you are, I will remind you that Jackson has DOMINATED Wellston in all sports for a long time.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

maybe should learn to read better...i have never been critical of jackson sports.. i dont know who you have me mixed up with, but do NOT call me out with your comments.....and i AM a chs grad, and have and will always be a CAV fan, win or lose. so you can cut the crap out now!

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

Saw all three games yesterday and I have to say I was happy with the Varsity but I was exstatic about the JV. Those guys have tons of Talent and Chemistry. They love playing together. Hopefully it stays that way.

Throughout the night, I was particularly impressed with:

Michael Turner- I have been critical of Michael over the last few years but he looks as if he is really starting to come into his own. The last two games he was the only player I saw giving 100%, 100% of the time. Up around thirty points in the third quarter last night and he was diving on the ground for loose balls. Love his hustle and he is the only one on the team hitting outside shots so far. He has stepped up on defense and dare I say it, may be coming a bit of an emotional leader for the Cavs.

Greg Van Volkenburg- Prototypical energy guy. Both elbows taped up from diving on the floor. Rebounder. Guards inside and out. If he polishes his offensive game up a bit he will be a VERY VERY Good player.

Jaylen Ragland- Great shooting mechanics and ball handling ability. Especially for his age and height. I LOVED what he did in the JV and Varsity without the dunk. Add that in and he looks like he will be somethin special once he matures and adds a little weight.

Lots of others including Donta Thompson, Caleb Knights and Landon Beverly but I just wanted to say something about those three.

Jackson fans- You have a Great coach and finally, the numbers to build a decent program. Be patient and things will get better.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... good stuff gymratt ... Jackson does have numbers AND some size going for them this year ... you are absolutely right - patience is the key ... Coach Jordan WILL get the hoops program back on track, WILL get the athletes out, WILL bring quality basketball back to the Apple City ...

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

I totally agree about Jackson and Coach Jordan. If the community is patient, he will have them playing. Coach Jordan noted he was disappointed that the kids did not compete like they did in earlier games. However, I can say, they looked much better then they did last year and even in their opening game against Southeastern. Chilly just had to much depth, strength and speed. The Jackson kids wore down.

Happy New Year to all!!!

GO CAVS!!! 2008 DII STATE CHAMPS!!!

On the sidelines
Riding the Bench

Post by On the sidelines »

Happy New Year Bronc21!!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”