All Conference

Re: Rank the Coaches...

Post by The Riepo Man »

Ken Massie...Ohio Assistant COY

panthersnaps
Waterboy

Post by panthersnaps »

avalanche wrote:I've always thought Bryan "Cannonball" Wells, was a coach that never got credit where it was due.

If I recall he had several undefeated JV seasons, and if there were JV OVC titles, he never lost one in his career.

I played for him and he was an exceptional motivator, who does an excellent job preparing his players for opponents.

Someone once told me that he brakes down more film then all of the coaches combined in all of our programs.

I know people will say, well he was a Norm product, but very very rarely was Norm at a JV practice, and when it came to game Norm didn't say a word.

Coach Cannonball is a great coach, and not just in basketball, but in basketball and football alike. Few coaches could care about his players more than him or motivate a team better. Your right, he doesn't get his due, but there is few people that i respect as much as him.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Eventhough Vinton County plays in D2,they have a weak schedule. Everytime Chillicothe plays them it's a done deal! The coach needs to schedule better teams in order to compete on a level with the likes of Chilli and Logan Elm!

Jake Roberts
Freshman Team

Post by Jake Roberts »

bvmv4life wrote:Eventhough Vinton County plays in D2,they have a weak schedule. Everytime Chillicothe plays them it's a done deal! The coach needs to schedule better teams in order to compete on a level with the likes of Chilli and Logan Elm!

Logan Elm? VC hasn't even played Logan Elm as of late. VC probably would have beaten LE during the last couple years. VC only played LE during the '06 season, which was VC's worst year during the last 6 seasons.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

bvmv4life wrote:Eventhough Vinton County plays in D2,they have a weak schedule. Everytime Chillicothe plays them it's a done deal! The coach needs to schedule better teams in order to compete on a level with the likes of Chilli and Logan Elm!

Chillicothe has been DII for what three years now, where was all of this rhetoric when they were DI and in the OCC getting their teeth kicked in? It wouldn't have matter who we would have scheduled to get us prepared for Chillicothe last season, they were that good, my God they won a State title. You guys act like if we scrimmage the Cleveland Cavaliers we would have had chance, that is insane. One thing for certain is you guys need to learn how to handle success.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

for vinton county to get more respect they need to play more d2 or d1 schools.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

I agree panthersnaps. I saw other people pointing out coaches other then head coaches they respected, and I pointed out someone who helped make the Chesapeake program better. Jim Rome (the real one and this guy) have no class. It is easy to be an a$$ and hide behind a computer screen name, but Cball and many coaches deserve a lot more credit then they recieve.

CB was a buddy league coach that often time coached two all-star teams for many years and helped prepare them for Persin's system. I remember coming up through middle school and feeling like I was learning less then I was under CB.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Take a deep breath and try to understand what i was trying to say! VC for one has to play more D1 and D2 teams to get any type of respect and from reading the posts they get no respect at all! Logan Elm would've beat VC last year and the year before where have you been? Evidently you don't watch no other basketball other than that watered down league VC always dominates! You guys play in that league go 20-0 and all of a sudden you guys are dangerous? It usually shows in the tournament at least it has the last 3 years!

Jim Rome
Waterboy

Post by Jim Rome »

I agree panthersnaps. I saw other people pointing out coaches other then head coaches they respected, and I pointed out someone who helped make the Chesapeake program better. Jim Rome (the real one and this guy) have no class. It is easy to be an a$$ and hide behind a computer screen name, but Cball and many coaches deserve a lot more credit then they recieve.

CB was a buddy league coach that often time coached two all-star teams for many years and helped prepare them for Persin's system. I remember coming up through middle school and feeling like I was learning less then I was under CB.

Good Sunday evening to you all.
Avalanche, there is no hiding behind screen names or being an "a$$" as you so eloquently put it.
I find it humorous that you want to plug a JV or "Buddy League" coach under a thread that is ranking varsity coaches. If this guy, or any of the other JV/Middle School/"Buddy League" coaches are so great, why don't they have a head coaching gig somewhere?
If it is that obvious that they are such phenominal coaches, why hasnt a school latched on to some of their greatness and given them the reigns to their program?
All coaches should be commended for their work/time/effort with kids. However there is a time and place for everything. It was just my personal opinion that this was none of the above.

On a side note I am going to say that Jim Rome has coached a ball game or two in my day. I once lead a 3rd grade girls team to the 5th grade boys championship game. (Which we won!) We didn't have a player over 5' tall and we dominated! Heck, we didn't even have a player that had testicular fotitude, but we still won. I couldnt get the players to run through walls for me, but i did get them to explode out of the paper hoop during introductions. I guess if you projected it out, and if they could run through paper in the third grade, it is a definite possibility that they would be able to run through a wall by the time they were in high school.

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

Sometimes it is not the coaching that wins the games sometimes the coach just always has new talent to fill the voids every single year. Whether it is transfers moving in or just genetics of little brothers and cousins from the same family. I think this happens in the South Point system with the girls especially . Very few times is SP the bottom of the OVC in anything. They just keep refilling. I don't think the same could be said for the boys in the district though!

FLASH-G
Riding the Bench

Post by FLASH-G »

clemente wrote:I second that chicken coop...What has Oak Hill done other than the past two seasons???

On a sidenote, I admire the way Coach Van Matre coaches his defense with all that intensity..It is true they do not have the most talented kids in the world but they can guard you and are fundamentally sound which is a testament to this program from the varsity level down to the grade school level...

Coach Barrick I feel is has to be at the top of the list as well, he is a great X's and O's coach

Recruit and Recruit both girls and boys

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

sparky wrote:for vinton county to get more respect they need to play more d2 or d1 schools.

There is only one DI school in the Southeast District, Logan, and we played them. We only play one DIV school, Trimble, and that is because of a gentlemen agreement between the two coaches. In our sectional, Marietta garnished the number one seed having played more DIII and DIV schools than we did.

Here is the thing, you can continue to hold on to that strength of schedule argument all you want, it just doesn't make it right. It is all going to change, and soon. There are rumors flying about, an SEOAL team coming to the TVC meeting in March, Portsmouth wants in the SOC, Ironton, Marietta, Warren and Zanesville wants out, what you are seeing is the slow demise of the Great, All-Everything SEOAL. And who is going to be left standing with their pants around their ankles?

Shooter McGavin
Waterboy

Post by Shooter McGavin »

bvmv4life wrote:Take a deep breath and try to understand what i was trying to say! VC for one has to play more D1 and D2 teams to get any type of respect and from reading the posts they get no respect at all! Logan Elm would've beat VC last year and the year before where have you been? Evidently you don't watch no other basketball other than that watered down league VC always dominates! You guys play in that league go 20-0 and all of a sudden you guys are dangerous? It usually shows in the tournament at least it has the last 3 years!

Answer me this:

How many SEOAL teams won a district championship last year? One.

How many TVC teams won a district championship last year? One.

VC could've scheduled the Lakers, Celtics and Cavs but still not make farther than they did and that is a fact.

tribetime
Freshman Team

Post by tribetime »

6 of the ten seaol schools from last year played in the same district. 3 of those six advanced to district competition.

crazee-oakaholic
All Conference

Post by crazee-oakaholic »

Stormin NORMIN (CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP)

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Good Sunday evening to you all.
Avalanche, there is no hiding behind screen names or being an "a$$" as you so eloquently put it.

When you ter down anyone because they are a "buddy league coach" or anything other than a success dependent upon your standards, I consider those people to be exactly what I said.

I find it humorous that you want to plug a JV or "Buddy League" coach under a thread that is ranking varsity coaches.

Find it what you will. I didn't hear you saying anything about any of the other asst. coaches mentioned. Do you have an agenda with CB? This thread ventured way off course a long time ago, so I followed. I have no problem plugging a man that deserves praise for what he does behind the scenes. I know he has had numerous offers to coach other schools (Coal Grove-SV), and he didn't take them for whatever reason. IMHO it could be because he loves Chesapeake, and unlike most ego driven coaches, he may actually love this community more than himself and his own aspirations. He also has a family who lives in Chesapeake and a son still in high school. I know there have been other top notch coaches in the area, football and basketball, who have asked him to come join them.

If this guy, or any of the other JV/Middle School/"Buddy League" coaches are so great, why don't they have a head coaching gig somewhere?

See post above. I have seen lots of coaches at the varsity level who do not know if a ball is pumped or stuffed. This is an uneducated statement.

If it is that obvious that they are such phenominal coaches, why hasnt a school latched on to some of their greatness and given them the reigns to their program?

I know CB is not a certified teacher, that could be part of the problem.

All coaches should be commended for their work/time/effort with kids. However there is a time and place for everything. It was just my personal opinion that this was none of the above.

People should also not make it their platform to make others feel like their respect towards someone who in your words, "should be commended for their work/time/effort with kids", should ever be laughed at. This is my observation.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

doesn't vinton county play 3 crossover games against the other division of the league and aren't most of them d4? how many d3 and d4 teams does vinton county have on their schedule?

Jake Roberts
Freshman Team

Post by Jake Roberts »

sparky wrote:doesn't vinton county play 3 crossover games against the other division of the league and aren't most of them d4? how many d3 and d4 teams does vinton county have on their schedule?

No, that's not true. The TVC does not do crossover games anymore. Know your facts before you try to bash teams, jerky.

tropical breeze
Riding the Bench

Post by tropical breeze »

I know many do not consider Zanesville a SEO team, but as a member (current, but not for long) of the SEOAL, I think he deserves a little mention.
Credentials too long to list, but here are a few from the top of my relatively Flat head.
1-State title in D-1
1-State runner up in D-1
73-3 record over a course of 3 years.
94-6 record over a 4 year period.
54 game winning streak
2- number 1 regular season poll Championships in D-1
1- No 3 final ranking in the nation in the USA today poll
1- NBA player
Too many to remember- D-1 college players
2 or 3-D-2College All Americans
1- win over the nations No 1 ranked team (oak hill of VA)
1- Win over the No 3 ranked team in the Nation (St ED's in 97)
In the Districts and Regionals almost yearly.
Well respected program that wins with own players.

There are plenty of great coaches in the area, but not many can rank with Scott's achievements. I think he has "earned" the accolaids. So even if you are not a Zanesville fan, you have to give it up to Coach Aronhalt!

Jim Rome
Waterboy

Post by Jim Rome »

There are plenty of great coaches in the area, but not many can rank with Scott's achievements. I think he has "earned" the accolaids. So even if you are not a Zanesville fan, you have to give it up to Coach Aronhalt!

I agree Tropical Breeze, that is definitely an impressive resume. But I don't think that we can include him on the list because:
- he is a head coach
- you didn't mention anything about his ability to get kids to run through walls
- you haven't mentioned anything about other coaches wanting him to come work with them
- you haven't mentioned whether he loves his town more than himself
- you haven't talked about whether or not he can tell the difference between a pumped/ stuffed ball
- you also failed to make any uneducated statements in your post
- You actually mention a guy that is a varsity coach, that has sucess. Which is the people that were supposed to be mentioned in this thread before it was hijacked by those wanting to talk about themselves

If we include him on the list it might hurt the feelings of others on this thread. Who like to get on here and talk about themselves... :122246 :lol: :roll:

Return to “Boys Basketball”