Athens Basketball

diamondD1
JV Team

Re: Athens Basketball

Post by diamondD1 »

trickdawg12, that was a very thoughtful, educated and insightful post. Quite refreshing, actually.

I have to admit I am very curious to know who you are. I am a Meigs HS graduate who has been living in Athens for 8 years now. My children are both Bulldogs through and through, and my wife teaches in the Athens City Schools. I have now been involved with the Athens Bulldogs longer than I was ever a Marauder, but I do keep a close eye on Meigs and wish them the best.

Your perspective is very much appreciated.

The Doughboy
Waterboy

Post by The Doughboy »

Hey spartan,
From the way their teams have played they must not care about much.
:lol:

dennisdrinksbud
Freshman Team

Post by dennisdrinksbud »

Yeah spartan, I gotta agree with the doughboy on this one. With the effort I've seen from this year's Athens freshman boys basketball team, it looks like you won't have much talent in the upcoming years, and to top that off, you're teaching them bad sportsmanship by not entering the tournament. Maybe you should call down some college kids :)

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

The Doughboy wrote:Since this is the Athens Basketball thread I found out something interesting that the Athens fans may be interested to know.

Word has it that the Athens Freshman Boys team will not play in their league tournament, after winning just 1 game in the league (Two more league games left). I understand going to Parkersburg two times for the tourny isn't cheap. However they should know that when you enter the league. This isn't a good way to teach your young players to never give up...maybe things like this are to credit why Athens has struggled in the past few years.

just a thought

The Doughboy wrote:Athens 9th grade is in the Mid Ohio Valley League. The Elite Sports Center hosted the preview games and the tournament this year. This league consists of Warren, Parkersburg, Ripley, Marietta, Parkersburg South and Athens themselves. According to the website Ripley, Marietta and South will all get the bad end of the deal due to Athens not playing, which is unfortunate because I'm sure these teams have worked to put themselves in the best posistion possible.

more information on the league if interested: http://elite-sports-center.ezleagues.ez ... eague.aspx

The Athens Boys Freshman are in the TVC and they play teams in your MOV league as well. The TVC plays triple headers, (frosh, jv, varsity) and with the size of some schools, they can't play a freshman game that night due to many freshman playing JV and those players wouldn't have enough quarters. Therefore Athens AD has scheduled other non league games for the freshman. But when it comes tournament time, those TVC schools put a freshman team in the TVC tournament because there isn't a jv tourny. Why shouldn't Athens play the teams, (TVC) that they are going to be playing year in and year out the rest of their high school careers? What seems to me, is you are trying to turn this around as Athens not teaching their players "to never give up" when in reality, you are mad because "Ripley, Marietta and South will all get the bad end of the deal." I think the Athens AD did what was best for Athens, not what was best for Ripley, Marietta and South. Isn't that what we want to teach the kids to do what is best for them? Not to make concessions to what is best for other teams??

The Doughboy
Waterboy

Post by The Doughboy »

I understand what your saying about playing tvc schools and I never said they shouldn't..that makes sence. I just feel that they should chose one league or another because its really ripping off some other schools and I also never said that they were "making concessions" for the other teams because from the results it looks like Athens has beat Marietta and probably could again and I wouldn't doubt they'd beat us here in Ripley.
and don't accuse me of being mad, what i am saying is don't start what you can't finish.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Athens will always hear it from the naysayers during each and every sport season. When Athens is winning, it's because they are so big and should dominate the TVC, but would still be mid pack in the other leagues in SEO...When Athens falls off to mid pack in the TVC, they will be hounded again for being the biggest school in the league and will be degraded for not winning for that reason. The TVC has no respect outside itself and Athens has lost all they once had by joining the league. Athens will either learn to overlook the jabs or they will leave the league. Its as simple as that. IMO...Athens will either leave the league in a few years or there will be another big school or two join. Hopfully its the latter of the two. Untill then...let the fighting and whining continue. BTW...ive yet to hear or see one TVC fan complain about Athens being in the TVC...Its always the outsiders..everyone is entitled to their opinions...but c'mon....its a dead horse. Everyone says the same thing..just in a different way.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Dundas wrote:Athens will always hear it from the naysayers during each and every sport season. When Athens is winning, it's because they are so big and should dominate the TVC, but would still be mid pack in the other leagues in SEO...When Athens falls off to mid pack in the TVC, they will be hounded again for being the biggest school in the league and will be degraded for not winning for that reason. The TVC has no respect outside itself and Athens has lost all they once had by joining the league. Athens will either learn to overlook the jabs or they will leave the league. Its as simple as that. IMO...Athens will either leave the league in a few years or there will be another big school or two join. Hopfully its the latter of the two. Untill then...let the fighting and whining continue. BTW...ive yet to hear or see one TVC fan complain about Athens being in the TVC...Its always the outsiders..everyone is entitled to their opinions...but c'mon....its a dead horse. Everyone says the same thing..just in a different way.

Well said. The TVC, year in and year out gets little respect. I remember the last 3 years most people saying Vinton County wasnt that good.......unless they had to play them. Then, these same people would be posting how thier team lost or beat a "great VC squad". I suspect we are witnessing Athens getting the same treatment. I could get on here and bash the Bulldogs by saying that they only beat VC, in both games, by a combined total of 5 pts. I could blame it on VCs lack of consistant freethrows. But the fact remains that Athens won. Period. They are the ones that are 15-1 right now.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

NY has dealt with this for years.

ATHENS get used to it. It is lonely at the top.

Return to “Boys Basketball”