Possible POY in TVC

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by Ironman92 »

Ski83 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:59 pm Vinton County has been really hit with the injury bug all season. I've been watching VC basketball for a lot of years. And can't remember a season when pretty much, the whole starting line up being sidelined at some point of the season. Bryce Damron is the only starter not to be sidelined this year.
I’m a Jackson fan but I went ahead and knocked on wood for you!

Best of luck to Vinton County in the tournament

ttomcat 80
JV Team

Post by ttomcat 80 »

Thought this was a thread for tvc POY looks more like a tvc Ohio or Athens thread.So some one from the Ohio make a pick .No way Athens has 4 players.Hocking is easy Randy Hixon.Best shooter in both Ohio and hocking,now I didn't say best player before people get bent out of shape,best shooter.

:roll: cats :roll:
Amock0905
Freshman Team

Post by Amock0905 »

Bigman83 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:59 am
93Bulldog wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:26 am
Bigman83 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:11 am Well if we’re going off of early season struggles, VC lost two starters basically before the season even started, then another a couple weeks in, started out 0-3 and losing to the last place team in the TVC, to winning a league championship.
That is a very fair assessment and I have no problem with a Combs/Yates sweep of the post season awards. Very deserving.

But, if you want to break it down and compare just the two (Athens and Vinton) ... All that matters is 54-51. ;)

Athens is (7-0),(5-0 TVC-Ohio)
Vinton is (5-2),(3-1 TVC-Ohio) ... probably gonna be (4-3),(3-1) after VC plays Logan tonight

over the last three weeks.
What also matters is 73-62, and a league title. If player of the YEAR was over the last three weeks, it probably would go to someone from Athens. However this is over the course of the entire season. Also, Logan’s a very good team and if I’m right they beat Athens both times as well. One of VC’s losses in the past few weeks is to a very athletic & talented division 1 Chillicothe team. Then also to Athens which we split on the year. Tough schedule to end the year for the Vikings.
To add to this naylan yates started slow in that game really slow missing 2 layups a pair of free throws and a jump shot to start the game if he makes those Vinton County is on down 9 after the first he got frustrated and the team started to argue and bicker about small stuff Vinton County is better than their record they could have beat Chillicothe, speakman was out last night against No. 8 in D1 Logan add in 20 points by him and that game is a completely different ball game the loss at nelsonville to start the season is a win if Griffith hits a layup inside with 2 seconds and a running clock to win the game, speakman dropped 42 that game if anyone remembers again Logan at Vinton County missing both Yates brothers, the loss to Athens at home by 3 nothing really to come of that except free throws missed some free throws early from hamon since then he’s shooting probably 85% from the line and Vinton County didnt get out of the big boy that can shoot the 3 he had several wide open looks in the first half, the way I see it there will be a vc/Athens rematch in the playoffs the way it looks it will be 4/5 seed I believe VC is the better team when healthy! Didn’t Athens have players quit at the beginning of the season and come back after a few games?

The 24 year drought is over! 🏈🏆
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Yes, and you are right VC is a way better team. Perhaps the Vikes could use the extra time in the next few weeks to start preparing for Fairland. Gonna take a monumental effort to upset the Dragons. No need to worry bout the Dogs.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

VisionQuest wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm I have an easy solution. Lutz and Bartoe shared it last year. Maxfield and Yates should share it this year.
I almost agree with this. I think it will be close and as strong as Yates has been all year once he got on the court, Speakman probably steered the ship for the most part setting Yates up as well as took a lot of the spotlight early in the year. Yates is a great player, bar none. But here is the thing, would you say he is solid at both end of the court? A complete player so to speak.

In regards to the Maxfield kid, from my understanding, he started out well early in the season scoring for Athens the first few games even though it was in defeat from people I have spoken with. I saw a few of his early games, the kid was a menace and looked like a pick pocket with solid defense on the baseline with a hefty amount of steals and charges to creating turnovers, thus keeping Athens in the game. Now that he has been moved out to the top to replace Cozart (who we all thought would be in contention for the POY,) can you think of any other kid, who has done more for his team this year in the TVC? Maxfield went from being a hell of a rebounder, especially on the offensive end and top defender, to now scoring around 20 or so points a game during this run with threes and transition buckets and it seems his % of shots made have to be on fire from what I have seen, while continuing to enforce his defense skills. Granted less rebounding and his charges went down as I am sure the coach wanted to make sure he remained on the court and not injured. Now, he is using that skill in setup situations when its needed. AKA Jackson and against Vinton. I think that kid would have 40 or more right now if he had been keeping that early pace. Does Yates have all those skill sets in his arsenal? I've never seen him hit the floor on a charge, much less diving on the floor for a ball on a mad scramble. Heck, the kid dove on the floor at Nelsonville, didn't have a prayer of collecting it and if it weren't for less than a foot, he would have had a steal and assist in the same play. For those who haven't watched him a lot this year, that is standard for him multiple times a game.

Additionally, this kid has sparked his team with his fire, with his hustle and willingness to now bind the team together with just his actions. You can see it when his team gets fired up for his hustle plays, and even the student section and Bulldog supporters are buying in. Not to mention I have seen the oppositions fans walk up to him and commend him on his Defense and hustle as well as coaches. If you watch the bench, the VERY few times I have seen him there, he is the first one to go out and congratulates his teammates. As of late does this kid even come of the court unless they are way up?

In my opinion, we have to consider all attributes of Yates and Maxfield's game. Yates is a solid offensive player and always has been, Maxfield has helped take the Bulldogs from a dismal 3-9 records to now 11-9 and has got to be one of the smartest players I have seen on the court.
Athens, was waiting for someone to step up after Lutz left. Maxfield seems to have embraced that role finally and this kid has done more than anyone expected and has helped his team right the ship.

I have gone to many games this year in the TVC and watched a ton of good talent kids. Many many good ones in fact. I have yet to see one who has this kid's heart, hustle and desire to win. I enjoy the commentary in the stands or at the end of the court, good or bad, and soak in some of the comments of the spectators. Like or dislike this kid, I will certainly say the fans enjoy his spirit. He has become one of the most frustrating people to the opposition and supported players by fans. That's my two cents, take it or leave it.

Both kids are deserving in their own right, but the IT factor goes to Maxfield

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

g w mclintock wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:15 am No dog in this fight but I've read 5 different names from Athens as potential POY's as well as mention of Coach Cozart as COY candidate. Their record is 10-9? I must be missing something.... :roll:
I was thinking the same thing. By reading Preps you’d think Athens was a serious contender for a trip to the final 4

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:26 am
g w mclintock wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:15 am No dog in this fight but I've read 5 different names from Athens as potential POY's as well as mention of Coach Cozart as COY candidate. Their record is 10-9? I must be missing something.... :roll:
I was thinking the same thing. By reading Preps you’d think Athens was a serious contender for a trip to the final 4
Most posts on here are dominated by Athens. I really like Maxfield. I like athletes with speed & an all around game. POY is Speakman - he runs the show for the league champs. His stats are deserving - best penetrated I've seen do a while.
If I were picking an allstar team - I'm taking Hynes before Maxfield for Athens.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

You don't want to see an Athens kid get it, because you Hate Athens. Just remember that Bad Karma I was warning you about. Your Warren Warriors may end up with that 3 seed and LE 6 seed. Could it be DeJa Vu all over again? You are going to give the Blue some bad MoJo if you keep it up and keep putting Athens down. Stiverson and Maddox rematch, if it ends up this way will you go against your Warriors and say they could get beat again as you claimed you did last year? #3 Warren was loaded last year and was beat in the 1st round by #6 Logan Elm.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

It's not all Athens posters mentioning different names. Bburner says Hines over Maxfield, some Athens folks like Maxfield, warrior blue said butcher, I personally think Chubb is their best 'all around player' with high upside.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:25 pm It's not all Athens posters mentioning different names. Bburner says Hines over Maxfield, some Athens folks like Maxfield, warrior blue said butcher, I personally think Chubb is their best 'all around player' with high upside.
Chubb is definitely the most underrated player for Athens. Basketball people know the real story and the opposing coaches as is evident when they place their best defenders on him and occasionally try to Faceguard him. if you look at everything he does consistently-score, Rebounds, blocks shots, 3 point field goal percentage, passing, Court Vision and Basketball IQ and at 6'4" and a young Junior his Ceiling is high. If I was a College Coach, Eli Chubb would definitely be on my Radar. The one thing he lacks is being "Flashy", he is just a Blue Collar player that wants to Win and does not worry about his Stat Line.

Bigman83
Riding the Bench

Post by Bigman83 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:40 pm
You don't want to see an Athens kid get it, because you Hate Athens. Just remember that Bad Karma I was warning you about. Your Warren Warriors may end up with that 3 seed and LE 6 seed. Could it be DeJa Vu all over again? You are going to give the Blue some bad MoJo if you keep it up and keep putting Athens down. Stiverson and Maddox rematch, if it ends up this way will you go against your Warriors and say they could get beat again as you claimed you did last year? #3 Warren was loaded last year and was beat in the 1st round by #6 Logan Elm.
Logan Elm was a completely different team last year. They had Ridge Young and a couple other kids with a good amount of varsity experience. If I’m correct, Ridge Young also had around 40 to 50+ that game. LE is very young and has the potential to make a good run in the next few years, however, this year is not their year.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Bigman83 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:56 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Logan Elm was a completely different team last year. They had Ridge Young and a couple other kids with a good amount of varsity experience. If I’m correct, Ridge Young also had around 40 to 50+ that game. LE is very young and has the potential to make a good run in the next few years, however, this year is not their year.
And Warren had Kyler Dennis, 6'7" Chase Wiehl and 6'5" Josh Huffman. LE pretty much Ridge Young. So the point is anything can happen. Especially with Stiverson In the mix. LE is rolling so if I was Warren I would watch out.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

The VC faithful are quiet about this so as an outsider I will take up the fight song for them . Bank on it that Yates has the inside track and Speakman would be a close 2nd . I thought early on Cozard would be in the mix . Is he out ? I have not seen anything about him lately. I agree some what that Chubbs might be the best all round player for Athens but still will not get consideration .

Amock0905
Freshman Team

Post by Amock0905 »

This Vinton County team needs naylan and speakman if you’ve watched a game without one or the other it shows! If I had to choose one of them it would be yates for POY, without yates vc lost a close one in nelsonville which could have never happened had 1 shot at the end of regulation went in but, without Jake for almost 3 quarter against nelsonville at home yates still ran the show and the Vikings came out with a victory and cut down the nets! POY is naylan yates if it is divided by 2 this year it should be Yates/Speakman

The 24 year drought is over! 🏈🏆
Johnstown
Riding the Bench

Post by Johnstown »

Vinton has outstanding players. For those that know basketball the same top players for Athens are the ones playing now. Evident of their 8 game win streak .Pre season hype means nothing nor does parent hype. Maxfield, Chubb and Hynes are all actually the same level with different skill sets.As assists Athens fans are well aware they were not getting the ball much until Saltzmen moved into the point from the injury bug . . Butcher plain and simple is an offensive force but all are willing to go to the open man. Williams is flashy and exciting and he and Saltzmen can play together so that increases productivity. Robert who is appreciated by his teamates fills defensive voids within. I loved watching Griff last season but is more enjoyable to see the product this season. I always appreciate the VC fans. It will quite a effort for either to win. Good luck to both squads.BTW Athens is not looking past Alexander.This is rivalry again IF Athns wins so fri is gonna be craZY

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Johnstown wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:28 pm Vinton has outstanding players. For those that know basketball the same top players for Athens are the ones playing now. Evident of their 8 game win streak .Pre season hype means nothing nor does parent hype. Maxfield, Chubb and Hynes are all actually the same level with different skill sets.As assists Athens fans are well aware they were not getting the ball much until Saltzmen moved into the point from the injury bug . . Butcher plain and simple is an offensive force but all are willing to go to the open man. Williams is flashy and exciting and he and Saltzmen can play together so that increases productivity. Robert who is appreciated by his teamates fills defensive voids within. I loved watching Griff last season but is more enjoyable to see the product this season. I always appreciate the VC fans. It will quite a effort for either to win. Good luck to both squads.BTW Athens is not looking past Alexander.This is rivalry again IF Athns wins so fri is gonna be craZY
Just FYI... I have never seen Saltzman and Williams on the court at the same time. They both play the point. Chubb and Williams have a significant number of turnoverswhich are fixable once they understand the game a little better and get better vision of the court before mid court instead of after. Hynes is solid but needs to fix that dribble down low as it has become problematic at times with he and Butcher as of late versus just going up once they receive the pass. Fix that, and these two are putting up some insane numbers in the paint even moreso.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

has the award ever been won by someone who is not even the best player on his team?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Allthewayup11 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 am
Johnstown wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:28 pm Vinton has outstanding players. For those that know basketball the same top players for Athens are the ones playing now. Evident of their 8 game win streak .Pre season hype means nothing nor does parent hype. Maxfield, Chubb and Hynes are all actually the same level with different skill sets.As assists Athens fans are well aware they were not getting the ball much until Saltzmen moved into the point from the injury bug . . Butcher plain and simple is an offensive force but all are willing to go to the open man. Williams is flashy and exciting and he and Saltzmen can play together so that increases productivity. Robert who is appreciated by his teamates fills defensive voids within. I loved watching Griff last season but is more enjoyable to see the product this season. I always appreciate the VC fans. It will quite a effort for either to win. Good luck to both squads.BTW Athens is not looking past Alexander.This is rivalry again IF Athns wins so fri is gonna be craZY
Just FYI... I have never seen Saltzman and Williams on the court at the same time. They both play the point. Chubb and Williams have a significant number of turnoverswhich are fixable once they understand the game a little better and get better vision of the court before mid court instead of after. Hynes is solid but needs to fix that dribble down low as it has become problematic at times with he and Butcher as of late versus just going up once they receive the pass. Fix that, and these two are putting up some insane numbers in the paint even moreso.
We must be watching different games then. Because when I have watched Chubb this year he rarely turns the ball over and has great court vision. When he rebounds on the defensive end he actually can drive the length of the Court if he needs to and take the shot or dish off, most generally he gets the rebound and gets a quick outlet pass where it finds Maxfield now since he is at the top of the key on Defense, this is contributing to Maxfield being the leading scorer most games now. Chubb was actually the starting Point Guard as a Freshman which contributes to his Ball Handling skills even at 6' 4" and continuing to grow. To say he has a significant amount of turnovers and no court vision and doesn't understand the game is Ludicrous. I would say he has one of the highest Basketball IQ's on the court, I always see him communicating with the coach and other players.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

I have Chubb as MVP of the TVC, will be a close vote with the other 4 Athens starters.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:28 pm
Allthewayup11 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 am
We must be watching different games then. Because when I have watched Chubb this year he rarely turns the ball over and has great court vision. When he rebounds on the defensive end he actually can drive the length of the Court if he needs to and take the shot or dish off, most generally he gets the rebound and gets a quick outlet pass where it finds Maxfield now since he is at the top of the key on Defense, this is contributing to Maxfield being the leading scorer most games now. Chubb was actually the starting Point Guard as a Freshman which contributes to his Ball Handling skills even at 6' 4" and continuing to grow. To say he has a significant amount of turnovers and no court vision and doesn't understand the game is Ludicrous. I would say he has one of the highest Basketball IQ's on the court, I always see him communicating with the coach and other players.
Never said Chubb didn't understand the game, nor did I say he wasn't a good player. He is a good player. He's just has had moments this season wher he gets careless with the ball. Also, if you look closely, when he struggles on the defensive side or with turnovers on offense, it usually hinders his offensive production. Cozart has a short leash on him at times I have noticed. I would say most of his outlets go to the guards (Saltzman and Williams) who are primarily the ones pushing the ball up the court in transition with their dribbling and speed. On the flip side Chubb has definitely been amassing rebounds and blocks as of late with the movement of Maxfield up top. Hynes and Maxfield were running close in rebounding as well as offensive rebounds till they moved him to the top. I wouldn't say we see to many kids who can be flexible enough to be utility players and better the position like that across the teams within the TVC. Especially on the defensive side.

I am predicting a battle between he, Hynes and Maxfield for POY next year. If Williams, gets some time this Spring and Summer and improves his skillset, he might be the dark horse for POY. Not to mention, if Butcher has a big year. That will be a heck of a starting 5 and all contenders.

Return to “Boys Basketball”