Logan coach steps down

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Logan coach steps down

Post by formerfcfan »

If you got a boy playing for Logan, talk to 'em. With Kellough resigning, the next coach will have been the third coach in three years (or depending how you look at it, two coaches in two years). It's not unusual for constant coaching turnover to bother the kids; I've seen it first-hand. We as a society easily take continuity for granted.

Good luck, Logan.

SEOALlives
Riding the Bench

Post by SEOALlives »

hawkeyepierce wrote:There is a lot I can say about this. But, out of love and reverence for my Logan friends, I will curb my language.

Well, maybe not. They should have never gotten rid of Keith Myers. I have known Coach Myers for a long time and he was as loyal as loyal as it gets. Heck, he is still loyal. But someone, a parent, the board, or someone showed him the door.

Only to bring on Coach Helber, who did another great job. And another Logan guy who was loyal to the school and the program only to be shown the door by the school board. What did he do? I think someone mentioned it. Fairfield Union, 20 wins, district runner-up. If I were him, there is no way I would come back.

It is funny, when you think about, when you talk about the top coaches in the area:

Stiverson
Maddox
Combs
Caldwell

two of them are from Logan and they want nothing to do with this job. What does that tell you? Right now, absolutely the worse job in the Southeast District!
Should have never gotten rid of Swinehart. This last guy was about the most ridiculous hire in years by a BOE that I didn't think could top some of their previous dumb azsed decisions. But they did and what people said would happen did happen. I'm not buying the lame azsed excuse he gave for leaving either and doubt anyone is. Oh well time to move on though and hope they can somehow convince some good young coach to come in. Someone mentioned Koons coming back and I would have no problem with that, at least to have on the staff. I thought he did a good job when he was on the staff before. NY has a good coach that seems to always have people calling for his head, probably the same kind of parents that run the Logan BOE, so he might be thinking of stepping up. Or even better one of the four Hawkeye mentioned.

SEOALlives
Riding the Bench

Post by SEOALlives »

Here is a run down on Swinehart's tenure at Logan. Hard to believe they ran the guy out. SMH!

From 1988-89 through 2002-03, Swinehart’s Chieftains won five Southeastern Ohio Athletic League championships and six Southeast District Division I sectional titles and made the school’s only appearance in a regional tournament in 1999-2000.

Logan had winning records in 11 of Swinehart’s 15 seasons — including his last nine — and compiled records of 202-128 overall and 130-52 against SEOAL foes.

Logan won conference titles in 2000-01, 1998-99, 1995-96, 1994-95 and 1988-89, his first year with the Chiefs. Logan won four-straight sectional championships from 1997-98 to 2000-01 under his guidance, as well as back-to-back crowns in 1988-89 and 1989-90.

While the 1999-2000 team didn’t win an SEOAL crown, it still made school history. That team went 18-5 and scrapped its way to the Chiefs’ only district championship before falling to Hilliard in a regional semifinal.

He was named SEOAL Coach of the Year five times and District 13 Coach of the Year four times and coached in both the North-South and Ohio-West Virginia all-star games.

My guess is people in Logan would give their left nutt to have this kind of success again. SSMH!

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Stiverson will retire at LE and so will Maddox at Warren. Caldwell was someone I thought about today. With the talent level dropping off at Trimble and Logan having alot of young talent on the rise, he may consider Logan his next stop. Here's the downside; he too has bounced around and I dont know if they want to trust a program long term with a coach who has come and left three schools in the last few years. A good young coach could be the answer, but a good young coach wants to keep climbing the ladder. So again, you could run into a stepping stone guy. Logan is in a HORRIBLE spot being a D1 school with D3 talent from the SE part of the state in the Central district with NO LEAGUE. It doesnt sound very attractive and then throw in the Helber debacle and its not good. I love Logan. I love the school I love the Athletic Department, and I sit front row at home games every season. I hope they can find the right guy for nothing more than the kids. They work too hard to be forgotten about. Kellough tooted his own horn in the paper and frankly didnt really do as much as he thinks he did. He uprooted the youth program, didnt ever go back to help them or follow through with what he said he was going to do, and really Logan won 2 games more than they did the year before. Uh... Norman Dale he aint. I hope we can get he right guy and he will want to build the program for the LONG TERM. It will be an interesting few weeks with summer camps coming and shoot outs.

Live Like A Champion!
SEOALlives
Riding the Bench

Post by SEOALlives »

LogangradKD wrote:Stiverson will retire at LE and so will Maddox at Warren. Caldwell was someone I thought about today. With the talent level dropping off at Trimble and Logan having alot of young talent on the rise, he may consider Logan his next stop. Here's the downside; he too has bounced around and I dont know if they want to trust a program long term with a coach who has come and left three schools in the last few years. A good young coach could be the answer, but a good young coach wants to keep climbing the ladder. So again, you could run into a stepping stone guy. Logan is in a HORRIBLE spot being a D1 school with D3 talent from the SE part of the state in the Central district with NO LEAGUE. It doesnt sound very attractive and then throw in the Helber debacle and its not good. I love Logan. I love the school I love the Athletic Department, and I sit front row at home games every season. I hope they can find the right guy for nothing more than the kids. They work too hard to be forgotten about. Kellough tooted his own horn in the paper and frankly didnt really do as much as he thinks he did. He uprooted the youth program, didnt ever go back to help them or follow through with what he said he was going to do, and really Logan won 2 games more than they did the year before. Uh... Norman Dale he aint. I hope we can get he right guy and he will want to build the program for the LONG TERM. It will be an interesting few weeks with summer camps coming and shoot outs.
You seem to be knowledgeable about Logan What do you think about Koons coming back? I heard he is doing a good job with the girls team where he is I think Trimble?

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

I like Greg, but it wasnt a good fit the last time. Logan had 3 former varsity coaches on the staff and it seemed like the chemistry was off. The best option imo is Walsh but I dont think he will take it if it was even offered. He did great things with the girls program, and he is only second to Ralph Taylor in wins and I think his passion and knowledge would be great for the kids and they respect him. Just my opinion.

Live Like A Champion!
duck42
Waterboy

Post by duck42 »

Talking about the Logan boys coaching position: There is a Logan coach in the system that has a real passion for the game with a Masters degree in coaching and cannot even get an interview. Who picks these coaches anyway? We know how the last 3 coaches got in the door so I think it is time to be less political and more practical.

Lbf
Waterboy

Post by Lbf »

Duck42. How did the last three coaches get hired?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I don't have a problem with Coach Kellough wanting to watch his grandson play next year. I do have a problem with Coach Kellough taking the job in the first place. He knew of his grandson's situation when he took the job. It didn't do anything positive whatsoever for the Logan program.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

The past is HISTORY! Let's look ahead and all the good that a new coach will bring to the table.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

trojandave wrote:I don't have a problem with Coach Kellough wanting to watch his grandson play next year. I do have a problem with Coach Kellough taking the job in the first place. He knew of his grandson's situation when he took the job. It didn't do anything positive whatsoever for the Logan program.

You don't think he knew his grandsons situation before taking the job at Logan? He knew.

So what's that tell you?

When coaches resign or leave, 90%+ of the time they say family reasons. You know how many say that instead of saying why they really left? Over half. There's ALWAYS more to the story, and Kellough has been around enough to know not to throw anyone under the bus on his way out.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

I like what I am hearing within the walls. Stay tuned.

Live Like A Champion!
ChieftainGrad135
Riding the Bench

Post by ChieftainGrad135 »

Interesting LogangradKD. I think another person that should be considered is the Chiefs freshman coach from FU. The Chiefs need to focus on growing talent both in coaching and in athletes. Looking for some magical retread head coach serves to only place us in situations we don't want to be in. Kellough was not a retread. I am merely stating the belief that Logan will only accept a coach with previous varsity head coaching experience.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

ChieftainGrad135 wrote:Interesting LogangradKD. I think another person that should be considered is the Chiefs freshman coach from FU. The Chiefs need to focus on growing talent both in coaching and in athletes. Looking for some magical retread head coach serves to only place us in situations we don't want to be in. Kellough was not a retread. I am merely stating the belief that Logan will only accept a coach with previous varsity head coaching experience.
Excellent retreads will not work!

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

it would be nice if Swinehart would come out of retirement. Walsh would be nice also.

AT THE RESERVATION
redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

So many schools use these 're-treads' as you call them. Almost every school who posts a job asks candidates have previous head coaching experience. Isn't there usually a red flag as to why they aren't still coaching somewhere or wanting out of their current job? Maybe it isn't always the case but more often then not it probably is. Why not hire a young guy that wants to put in some time? When my son was in Jh at Caldwell 6 years ago we hired a young guy with no varsity experience and he built a really solid basketball program. Fort Frye hired a young, inexperienced coach who has maintained their level of success. Most schools just won't take that approach

ChieftainGrad135
Riding the Bench

redskinwitness wrote:So many schools use these 're-treads' as you call them. Almost every school who posts a job asks candidates have previous head coaching experience. Isn't there usually a red flag as to why they aren't still coaching somewhere or wanting out of their current job? Maybe it isn't always the case but more often then not it probably is. Why not hire a young guy that wants to put in some time? When my son was in Jh at Caldwell 6 years ago we hired a young guy with no varsity experience and he built a really solid basketball program. Fort Frye hired a young, inexperienced coach who has maintained their level of success. Most schools just won't take that approach
Spot on! Anyone know how old Swinehart was when he took over Logan?

basketballref
Waterboy

Post by basketballref »

This hire falls directly on the school board and the superintendant.Kellough and Stirn go back a few years together.The school board should have known better than to replace coaches that the superintendant wanted with him leaving this year.This was just a slap in the communities face from a school board thats needs replaced and a superintendent who just wanted to stick it to the people of the community for speaking out against him.I say lets get rid of the current school board as soon as possible to stabilize our schools and athletic programs.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I'd like to see Ryan Montgomery - the Freshmen coach from last season get an opportunity to direct the Logan Program - young, will stay in Logan for the foreseeable future, TEACHES at the high school , see's the players daily, worked under Coach Kellough's system - learned a great deal about coaching this past season, and he does/would do a great job imo ... if he had Coach Walsh as the centerpiece for his coaching staff - good things would happen and continue to happen for Logan hoops ...

... just my 2 cents worth looking down the road ...

ChieftainGrad135
Riding the Bench

pfloyd wrote:... I'd like to see Ryan Montgomery - the Freshmen coach from last season get an opportunity to direct the Logan Program - young, will stay in Logan for the foreseeable future, TEACHES at the high school , see's the players daily, worked under Coach Kellough's system - learned a great deal about coaching this past season, and he does/would do a great job imo ... if he had Coach Walsh as the centerpiece for his coaching staff - good things would happen and continue to happen for Logan hoops ...

... just my 2 cents worth looking down the road ...

My point exactly pfloyd! He has the obvious passion for the game and a passion for the youth of the game/our community. He is invested in the community. His wife is an elementary school teacher in the district I believe as well. He is exactly the type of person we need. Hopefully he gets an opportunity to interview and a shot.

Return to “Boys Basketball”