Pretty sure he was listed as 6-11

Chained Eagle
Riding the Bench

Re: What was the last school to have a 7 footer in SE ohio

Post by Chained Eagle »

Jewitt I am not sure about

Haskell - Alexander I am pretty sure was maybe 6'10

Skaggs - Southeastern Larry Jordan told me he was 6'11
Netter - Adena/Southeastern Played college at BG. Not sure if he was 7'0 or not.

Vukovic - Marietta He was more like 6'7 - 6'8.

Belpre - Didn't they have a big kid transfer in from PHS or South back in the early 90's? The name escpapes me but was thinking he might have been around 6'10.

That's all I can think of. Not sure if any were actually 7"0.

RedBaron
Riding the Bench

Post by RedBaron »

John baldwin from fed hock. He is 6'11". Close enough to 7'.

BearcatNation2334
Waterboy

Post by BearcatNation2334 »

Jon Sewell for Marietta is 6'10''

jcbigblue
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue »

Chained Eagle wrote:Jewitt I am not sure about

Haskell - Alexander I am pretty sure was maybe 6'10

Skaggs - Southeastern Larry Jordan told me he was 6'11
Netter - Adena/Southeastern Played college at BG. Not sure if he was 7'0 or not.

Vukovic - Marietta He was more like 6'7 - 6'8.

Belpre - Didn't they have a big kid transfer in from PHS or South back in the early 90's? The name escpapes me but was thinking he might have been around 6'10.
That's all I can think of. Not sure if any were actually 7"0.

Last name was Hopkins

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

addt' comment on Mike Scott. He started at Wake Forest as a freshman, fun to watch a local guy battle sam perkins on ESPN. He actually had a pretty good game against the tar holes . Our HS team had several other guys who were college signee's . Boo Williams 6 ' 3 " guard ( now famous bass fisherman ) broke a couple backboard with his thunder dunks , Andy Garvin 6 ' 3 " wing player could easily dunk two hands off two feet. Mark Fuller was a 6 ' 5" baseline player. Mike Diller ran the point. all had college offers. one of the best GC teams the school produced. Lost to eventual state champ Lex Henry Clay that year in the sweet 16. MD (scrub on that team LOL)

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

Birchfield had to have been more than 6 7" or 6' 8"...I knew a couple of kids through school who was that tall and couldn't do what he did...I remember seeing him slam a ball flat footed...amazed me...as far as him going anywhere...I believe he went out west to a school somewhere but didn't fair too good in the grades category and discipline wasn't one of his strong suits either...

Doc Panther
JV Team

Post by Doc Panther »

my2cents wrote:
Leaving Minford wrote:Asa Jewitt (sp?) from Ports. West (about 95-98) don't know if he was 7'0" but sure seemed like it when you were trying to get a shot over him.

I don't think Asa was 7' in HS. Maybe about 6'9". He played at Athens, but I don't know how well he did after that. Very smart kid though. I think he is now a stock broker.

Good kid....never adjusted to the speed of the college game and didn't contribute at OU.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

etta11 wrote:Jon Sewell for Marietta is 6'10''

Thats the kid I was trying to remember. Does he get time on varsity? He has potential, if someone put him on a good training program he could be a monster in the paint.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Valley had a guy around 7' back in the early 90's I think.

salemcat
JV Team

Post by salemcat »

Matt Raddabaugh was the guy from Valley. He was 6'10". Slow guy though. I out ran him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris Clark and Craig Gilliland and Keith Hickman were a tall trio for Valley in the mid 80's. State champs in 86 in my opinion if Clark does not get hurt.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

salemcat wrote:Matt Raddabaugh was the guy from Valley. He was 6'10". Slow guy though. I out ran him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris Clark and Craig Gilliland and Keith Hickman were a tall trio for Valley in the mid 80's. State champs in 86 in my opinion if Clark does not get hurt.

I see him at some of the Peebles games occasionally. He is larger than life, I dont know if that is a blessing or a curse. It probably gets old having to bend your head down to walk through doors and constantly tell people how tall you are.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

I remember mike scott from green up co. remember him going to wake then trans. to kentucky if I am correct as far as Birchfiels believed he went to Rio Grand and then got released from his scholarship I heard for conduct the boy was full of talent but never took the books seriously. Last I saw him was years ago working at wendy's seems like alot of Irontons athletes fall from lack of working hard at the books

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Asa jewitt didn't last long enough at Ohio to even enjoy a cup of coffee. He did however go on and get a degree (what it is all about anyway).

Birchfield went to Rio Grande and couldn't stay out of trouble and ran into a string of unfortunate situations.

all-time athlete
JV Team

Post by all-time athlete »

I know Northwest has had Cody Shy who was 7' exactly or a bit over and Chance Hiles who was 6'10 or 6'11...and I believe Valley had the 2 twins a few years back who had to be close to 7'....also I know there was a man that played at Kentucky in the 80's that was over 7' and was from one of the local southern ohio schools, im not sure if it was NW or not...someone help me out if they know?

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Piketon has never had a player 7', but they have had two that were 6'12"

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

eagles73 wrote:Piketon has never had a player 7', but they have had two that were 6'12"

:lol: 6'12" I like it. Peebles has also been vertically challenged for the most part, I believe our tallest player was around 6'7"(We have had a handful around this height). If anyone knows of a taller player for Peebles please let me know.

glider14
Waterboy

Post by glider14 »

Wasn't Jeremy from NA(I forget his last name, I wanna say Basford) around 6'9 or 6'10?

Dr. Pepper
Waterboy

Post by Dr. Pepper »

D.J. Cunningham of Waterford Graduated Last year but he was 6'11". Alexander has that Hart kid who is 6'8". Federal Hocking also has Sophomore Chris Saylor who is 6'11".

Jughe@d
Riding the Bench

Post by Jughe@d »

Zane Trace - Colt Mitchell graduated in 2001 and was somewhere in the ballpark of 6'11" - 7'

Southeastern - Chris Skaggs graduated in 2003 and was around 7'

I remember the Chillicothe Gazette running an article showing the two guys back to back and superimposed over Chillicothe in the background (i.e. Godzilla type scene.) I wish I would have saved the article.

Return to “Boys Basketball”