Athens @ Wellston 1/5

VisionQuest
All State

Re: Athens @ Wellston 1/5

Post by VisionQuest »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:45 pm What is Athens record now?
3-7 I believe. Really disappointing with the Talent they have. I never would have thought this with what they started the year with.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

VisionQuest wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:37 pm Athens had their best 1st quarter of the year. 20-9. The Press looked to cause a lot of problems for Wellston. Athens caused several turnovers with it in that 1st quarter. Come back out 2nd quarter and no press. That's what I don't understand. Wellston was able to whittle away at that lead and only trail 27-24 at the Half. I wish Athens would have went for the Jugular and pressed 2nd quarter. It was working!!
It wasn't just the press, their ball movement was superb in the 1st quarter! Looking for the open man, making the extra pass, knocking down good shots ... and it equated to 20 pts.

2nd quarter - quit playing as a team and they were darn close to closing out the quarter with just two points. A mini run at the end finally got them to 7 pts scored in the 2nd Q.

That's the 12th time they have been held to single digits in a quarter this year in 10 games. (40 quarters)

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:47 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:37 pm Athens had their best 1st quarter of the year. 20-9. The Press looked to cause a lot of problems for Wellston. Athens caused several turnovers with it in that 1st quarter. Come back out 2nd quarter and no press. That's what I don't understand. Wellston was able to whittle away at that lead and only trail 27-24 at the Half. I wish Athens would have went for the Jugular and pressed 2nd quarter. It was working!!
It wasn't just the press, their ball movement was superb in the 1st quarter! Looking for the open man, making the extra pass, knocking down good shots ... and it equated to 20 pts.

2nd quarter - quit playing as a team and they were darn close to closing out the quarter with just two points. A mini run at the end finally got them to 7 pts scored in the 2nd Q.

That's the 12th time they have been held to single digits in a quarter this year in 10 games. (40 quarters)
They were playing as a Team in that Press for darn sure and keeping Wellston on their heels. 2nd quarter they Relax and Wellston gains momentum and keeps that momentum for most of the game. Credit Athens for coming back from around 9 or 10 down 2nd half and making it a ball game. A lot to be learned from this game. Hopefully Hynes isn't out for long with his Ankle. I did see him walking around on it over by the Bench. I think Hynes injury, Butcher not playing 1st half and Chubb in Foul trouble were main factors in not getting the W tonight. And again a tall athletic Big in Matt Simpson from Wellston caused us problems as well. Just my takes on what I saw tonight. I'm no expert by no means.

SEOFBFAN
Waterboy

Post by SEOFBFAN »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:18 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:01 pm Some variables to this game. Butcher did not play 1st half for unspecified reason. Hynes goes down in 3rd quarter with ankle injury. Chubb ended up in foul trouble from 3rd quarter on, he Gets in with a couple minutes left in the game playing with 4 fouls. Williams played well for Athens. Simpson from Wellston played Great and made his free throws. It was an exciting game, a rollercoaster of a game. Logan comes to town tomorrow night.
You put a player in with 4 fouls with about 4 min to go - not 1:50. I'm guessing he was on the bench for the technical, not the 4 fouls.

Athens is 7 points away from being undefeated in league play and sitting atop the TVC-Ohio standings all by its lonesome. You have Alexander down, looking to go into the locker room with a possible 9 point lead - instead, get a technical foul, the lead is cut to 4 and the Spartans gain all the momentum before riding it to victory in the 2nd half. Tonight, you don't have one of your best players for a half for disciplinary reasons I'm guessing, and then in another tight game - Athens gets another technical foul - and another one of its best players sits most of the 2nd half as Wellston gets the W.

I just don't get it. I don't understand why Athens averaged about 4 personal fouls per game during football season and now racking up technical fouls in crucial games/situations. Its incredibly discouraging.
Spoiled brat with an attitude problem!?!?!? Just a guess? lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

No, one individual is not to blame.

It's much deeper and complex than that.

SEOFBFAN
Waterboy

Post by SEOFBFAN »

It’s obviously a discipline problem. I know in football it may not always have been the same kid being penalized but it all stemmed from one kid. We had a kid on our team that said he was going to get this particular kid ejected before the game started and he did. By getting him to commit 2 personal fouls. It was that easy...

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

SEOFBFAN wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:41 am It’s obviously a discipline problem. I know in football it may not always have been the same kid being penalized but it all stemmed from one kid. We had a kid on our team that said he was going to get this particular kid ejected before the game started and he did. By getting him to commit 2 personal fouls. It was that easy...
2 personal fouls do not eject a player.

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

Driving home from a game last night I was thinking. I am not the brightest sports mind but in the world of business and sports excuses for losing each week is not character building. Some schools after each loss blame the refs or some player getting injured or the lay off or every excuse etc. Let us hope parents and coaches are not sharing this with the players. One does not have to go back to see that teams like NY in football going to the Championship round or Trimble and Athens football as well Alexander VB Vinton BB to the Convo....Goal setting is great and excuse making is not productive. I got to imagine in those locker rooms coaches and players were chomping at the bit to kick some ones butt.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I agree whole heartedly Morehead.

But at some point attitude and character have to be addressed, whether it's in the locker room, at school, by the AD or even on a public forum. The kids playing need to be told that they are not just representing themselves when they put on an Athens uniform or jersey. They represent a community, their school, their parents, etc ... That's what sets high school sports apart from the different levels of athletics. I can handle losing, but when our team is being referred to as a ' bunch of thugs' - amongst other things - that's a problem!

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:23 am I agree whole heartedly Morehead.

But at some point attitude and character have to be addressed, whether it's in the locker room, at school, by the AD or even on a public forum. The kids playing need to be told that they are not just representing themselves when they put on an Athens uniform or jersey. They represent a community, their school, their parents, etc ... That's what sets high school sports apart from the different levels of athletics. I can handle losing, but when our team is being referred to as a ' bunch of thugs' - amongst other things - that's a problem!
Nobody should be calling kids in High School (14 to 18) anything negative . Kids devote their time and energy to participate and pressure is sometime ( most of the time) to excel . Sometimes frustration sets in and emotions take over. My opinion is to stay under control and stay one step ahead of your competition. There does seem to be an issue with Bulldog basketball . Only the ones close know the problem and they will have to create a plan to correct. Good luck going forward. PS :Will Hynes be out any ? Hope it was just a minor injury.

SEOFBFAN
Waterboy

Post by SEOFBFAN »

Pol pot wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:19 am
SEOFBFAN wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:41 am It’s obviously a discipline problem. I know in football it may not always have been the same kid being penalized but it all stemmed from one kid. We had a kid on our team that said he was going to get this particular kid ejected before the game started and he did. By getting him to commit 2 personal fouls. It was that easy...
2 personal fouls do not eject a player.
Sorry, let me re-phrase that. That was 2 unsportsmanlike penalties.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Truth&fiction wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:40 amKids devote their time and energy to participate and pressure is sometime ( most of the time) to excel . Sometimes frustration sets in and emotions take over.
Perfect reflection of today's society. An excuse for a kid to act a certain way.

I'm not buying it. Frustration had nothing to do with the Athens player that stepped on (kicked) the Meigs kid when he was down. (football). In today's world everything is on youtube or huddle - so it wasn't just people at the game who witnessed it. I can understand a personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct every once in awhile - but we had 2, 3 and even 4 a game sometimes this fall. By far the most penalized team I have seen in a long time. And now, just a few months later, TWO huge technical fouls in crucial league games that, imo, is the difference in being (5-0) in the Ohio instead of (3-2).

Had an old timer this morning say to me 'in all the years coach McAfee roamed the sideline, I don't think one single player ever threw or slammed a ball to get a technical. Nor did they ever mouth off to an official and they didn't give them dirty looks after every foul that was called.'

You know, once upon a time, players raised their hand when a foul was called on them. Now, they throw temper tantrums or give refs dirty looks. And its not just Athens in this regard, its widespread.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

I agree 93, it's a new trend and so ugly. If coaches don't have the guts to stop it the officials should just start issuing technicals. You can go be a "cool" athlete on the pine .

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Poo Bear wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:28 pm I agree 93, it's a new trend and so ugly. If coaches don't have the guts to stop it the officials should just start issuing technicals. You can go be a "cool" athlete on the pine .
Thief lol

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

They lost because Athens missed 10 straight layups in transition after stealing the ball from Wellston. Make those layups and Athens is up 30 at half. That second quarter was weird. Wellston played stall ball. Athens stole it pretty easy every time but missed transition. I bet time of possession that quarter was 7 minutes for Wellston and 1 for Athens.

Williams and Butcher are Athens two best players. They should never come off the court

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:09 pm
Truth&fiction wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:40 amKids devote their time and energy to participate and pressure is sometime ( most of the time) to excel . Sometimes frustration sets in and emotions take over.
Perfect reflection of today's society. An excuse for a kid to act a certain way.

I'm not buying it. Frustration had nothing to do with the Athens player that stepped on (kicked) the Meigs kid when he was down. (football). In today's world everything is on youtube or huddle - so it wasn't just people at the game who witnessed it. I can understand a personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct every once in awhile - but we had 2, 3 and even 4 a game sometimes this fall. By far the most penalized team I have seen in a long time. And now, just a few months later, TWO huge technical fouls in crucial league games that, imo, is the difference in being (5-0) in the Ohio instead of (3-2).

Had an old timer this morning say to me 'in all the years coach McAfee roamed the sideline, I don't think one single player ever threw or slammed a ball to get a technical. Nor did they ever mouth off to an official and they didn't give them dirty looks after every foul that was called.'

You know, once upon a time, players raised their hand when a foul was called on them. Now, they throw temper tantrums or give refs dirty looks. And its not just Athens in this regard, its widespread.
Sorry Dog was not trying to make an excuse . I was generally speaking . I'm not close to the program so i do not know what the issues with the Football or Basketball program are . The ones closes are the ones that needs to deal with a pattern. I f you do not have the parents approval it will be an up hill job . I remember Coach McAfee and he was a very good coach . Not sure how he would handle issues but whatever it would be final.

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

Wellston missed five shots. If they made all those from 3 point land that is 30 points. Then the game goes into overtime and someone scores and the fans storm the court and two players get D 1 scholarships and then they both make the pros...Oh yesssss

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

LOL

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 pm They lost because Athens missed 10 straight layups in transition after stealing the ball from Wellston. Make those layups and Athens is up 30 at half. That second quarter was weird. Wellston played stall ball. Athens stole it pretty easy every time but missed transition. I bet time of possession that quarter was 7 minutes for Wellston and 1 for Athens.

Williams and Butcher are Athens two best players. They should never come off the court
Curious the rationale you use for "Athens Best Players". Are you looking at the total package and actual statistics like Rebounds, PPG, Blocked Shots, 3 point percentage and Defense, players who are also playmakers and rarely turn the ball over? Or are these just players You like? Cause if so I challenge you to look at consistency and all the statistics. I take in a lot of basketball and watch each player very closely. Not taking anything away from these 2 as they are dynamic players but when you throw these statements out I hope you research it a little.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:06 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 pm They lost because Athens missed 10 straight layups in transition after stealing the ball from Wellston. Make those layups and Athens is up 30 at half. That second quarter was weird. Wellston played stall ball. Athens stole it pretty easy every time but missed transition. I bet time of possession that quarter was 7 minutes for Wellston and 1 for Athens.

Curious the rationale you use for "Athens Best Players". Are you looking at the total package and actual statistics like Rebounds, PPG, Blocked Shots, 3 point percentage and Defense, players who are also playmakers and rarely turn the ball over? Or are these just players You like? Cause if so I challenge you to look at consistency and all the statistics. I take in a lot of basketball and watch each player very closely. Not taking anything away from these 2 as they are dynamic players but when you throw these statements out I hope you research it a little.
It's all about PPG . seriously I ' ve seen the leading PPG Player dog it on defense so bad I would bench him . No D no Play. BUT points counts on the score board . I like the more rounded player. People gets caught up with their opinion of best player. Last I saw each team puts 5 players on the court.

Return to “Boys Basketball”