SEOPS HOF

Re: Most difficult place to play?

Post by Raider6309 »

Warrior Dome and The Alley

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Id have to say East, with the smaller gym it could throw some teams off when they come to East especially if it's their first time playing there. I've seen the red line get a few teams when inbounding the ball.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

The alley???

At reffing school I was told East is where you were sent if your being punished

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

My first trip to Irontons gym after Waginger transferred to SW... as Pantera said, Fu&#ing Hostile

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I’d say the Alley at Alexander is definitely near the top of the list in SEO. I’d like to think Vinton County is a difficult place as well as it’s almost always packed but the gym itself kind of lacks anything unique. The old gym in McArthur was definitely one of a kind with the stage on one baseline and the balcony seating on the other. We just didn’t have much success on the hardwood back in those days.

Basketball:30
Riding the Bench

Post by Basketball:30 »

Currently it’s @ East and there’s not a close second.

New Boston’s old gym took the cake, however. That balcony and step on the floor cannot be outdone.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

mattash wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:04 pm The alley???

At reffing school I was told East is where you were sent if your being punished
It’s different. In the second half you have to shoot at the basketball their students sit under. That basketball seems like it’s a foot higher than the other rim. Also it’s always loud

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Wheelersburg when the student section is in full force and the refs are bad :lol:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Bring up the stage......The old Logan High School Gym on the Hilltop.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Ironman92: I wasn't insulted at all.....you're entitled to your opinion, and most generally you're spot on with a lot of topics on SEOPS. I just offered my opinion in regards to yours.

Since you want my list, I'm going by the toughest places to get a win, for at least a time period of a decade, and my main criteria is the quality of the program. Note: I have been to all the places listed, so I cannot rate places that I haven't been to.

1. Warren (overall for an entire decade)
2. Unioto (dominated the SVC for quite a while under Hoops)
3. Chillicothe (during and after Gary Kellough)
4. Portsmouth (10 years under Eugene Collins)
5. Wheelersburg (during and after Tom Barrick)
6. Ironton (rarely gets blown out by anyone)
7. Oak Hill (Norm Persin completely changed Oaks program)
8. Fairland (probably #1 the last 3 years)
9. Chesapeake (during and after Norm Persin)
10. Gallia Academy (it has always been tough for Portsmouth)
11. Vinton County (Coach Combs tenure)
12. Waverly (Robertson makes opponents work really hard with his style of play)
13. Peebles (Indians never have down season)
14. South Webster (has done well in SOC II at home)
15. South Point (sneaky tough, underrated program)

I don't have Logan listed because I thought that even though the atmosphere was good, the fan turnout excellent, the Chieftains rarely threatened to win the SEOAL and in fact lost to Portsmouth 11 of the last 12 games between the two ( Trojans won 6 in a row at Myers Gym). Logan's program under Coach Rider is now picking up some momentum, and CURRENTLY would be rated probably right up with Warren.

When Rick Van Matre was coaching at McClain, that would be the #1 place on my list. Since his retirement almost a decade ago, the Tigers have struggled, but it looks like they're getting their mojo back. Good for them.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:57 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:54 pm I've got to say Eastern Brown. The student section is directly behind the visitors bench. It can get pretty nasty at times.Eastern Pike is a trip also.
Another I hated was when you played at CAPE. There was barely enough room to get in that place.
I will have to add to my list,Mason county ,ky. Ripleys old gym and Fairfield s old gym and the old Jefferson gym in bluecreek.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

For Fairfield County...

Bloom-Carroll used to be tough as hell to play at and still is for some rivalry games. FU has become tough to win at these last couple of years. Fisher is still the toughest D4 house in Central Ohio, and probably is the toughest house in the county (excluding the Pickerington schools) most nights when at home.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The stage in Logan was the most feared gymnasium (auditorium) in all of Southeastern Ohio for a long, long time. I'm curious if Katie ever lost a game there?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Problem with the stage (besides obvious reasons) is Logan was a D1 school, with lots of hoops success, but you could probably only fit 500-700 people in that hot box. Maybe not even than that. The place was just a ridiculous set up for a big time basketball game.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:56 pm The stage in Logan was the most feared gymnasium (auditorium) in all of Southeastern Ohio for a long, long time. I'm curious if Katie ever lost a game there?
I believe Katie played atleast her senior year at the ugly new gym. Maybe even her junior year also.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

TVC wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:19 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:56 pm The stage in Logan was the most feared gymnasium (auditorium) in all of Southeastern Ohio for a long, long time. I'm curious if Katie ever lost a game there?
I believe Katie played atleast her senior year at the ugly new gym. Maybe even her junior year also.
She never played at the new high school.
She may have played at the middle school gymnasium, which is actually named after her I believe. Or at least it use to be called Katie Smith Gymnasium.

The one now is Jim Meyers, which is completely on the other side of the highway.

eagle country
Freshman Team

Post by eagle country »

Tartanblue wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:02 pm Id have to say East, with the smaller gym it could throw some teams off when they come to East especially if it's their first time playing there. I've seen the red line get a few teams when inbounding the ball.
I agree also new Boston’s old gym both gyms get very loud because of the small structures they are always a 10-15 point swing for either home team

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Eagles Nest aka Belpre High School.

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:45 pm Surprised nobody has mentioned the Eagles Nest aka Belpre High School.
I think we all know that goes without saying. Those WV refs Belpre typically hires are hard to beat. :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
Homie Chadwell
Riding the Bench

Post by Homie Chadwell »

What about them WV refs that Whoamomma hires. Racine can never get a fair shake when they cross the great bridge to walmart

Return to “Boys Basketball”