Sportsmanship/Positive Stories/High Road

Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: Sportsmanship/Positive Stories/High Road

Post by Hoopie74 »

peake71 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:19 pm The Peake would have one Senior on the team this year. Early last year he was diagnosed with osteo-carcinoma is his knee. Chemo and reconstructive surgery. This year they found more and under went more chemo. His last scan showed more problems and decisions to be made with him and family.
Coach Davis has hept his spot on the team and the boys wear warm up shirts with his name and number on them.
I feel this is a class act.
Prayers and Tanner Strong
Prayers. There was another player that we had a prayer session for from Peake a few years ago.I hope he has continued to get better.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:04 pm If this was a poor sportsmanship thread we’d be on page 6 right now
Thanks for the post Ironman92.My dad always told me to accentuate the positives, don't dwell on the negatives. I will continue to do that.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Bubb Norris has been a Referee for a long time. I can’t say I’ve always agreed with every call he’s made but there was this one time....

My wife was in Cleveland Clinic, Fighting like crazy — this was back in the 90s. I was out in the lobby and saw Norris with some family. Turns out we were both up there to support family in tough situations. We shared a few stories and prayed together. Now, when we see each other we always have that moment of remembrance and Shake hands. He called a game in Court House this year at least 20 years after we met at Cleveland Clinic. Never fails. We have that little moment and then I yell at him for an hour and a half (in my mind — as the bookkeeper I can’t do it externally). Then we go our separate ways.

Pfloyd understands because when you pray together it changes you.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:04 pm If this was a poor sportsmanship thread we’d be on page 6 right now
... no doubt I92 ...

... as a SEOPs guy over the years , a positive is that I have been treated so well everywhere I have gone to watch high school hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... peake71, Coach Davis & his staff along with the fine folks who volunteer at the Beasts of the Southeast have ALWAYS greeted me at the door, allowed me to go feast in the hospitality room - I feel like one of the family when Mother Nature lets me get to Chesapeake in early January ... I have had so many coaches COME UP to the Cheap Seats to talk hoops & shake my hand ... the parents of the players that I & all of us report on have approached me all across Southern/Southeast Ohio ... I can't see this happening anywhere else in Ohio - we are all so blessed to be able to follow high school hoops where everyone involved cares so deeply about the kids, the TEAMS they support ... I love high school hoops , always have BUT I have grown to care so much about the players, the coaches, the schools, the fans of the schools Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... when I went to Jackson earlier in the year - the radio guys called me up to chat & shake my hand, when I was leaving, the Superintendent of the Jackson schools came up and introduced himself/asked if I was pfloyd & shook my hand ... none of these folks would know me or care anything about me if it weren't for this game of high school basketball that we all enjoy ... I greatly appreciate all of the kindness that the schools, the fans, the parents of players, the coaches have shown to me over the years ... you ALL give high school sports Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line a good name - I thank you ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Keep em coming people...300 people reading. Share some

BudLytle
Riding the Bench

Post by BudLytle »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:43 pm Before we played at Huntington earlier this year, when they called the captains to mid court in the pregame, Huntington’s Elijah McCloskey told them to hold on and ran over past our bench. When he got there, he found his friend who is wheelchair bound and asked him if he wanted to come out with him. So, after he said yes, Elijah led him out for the captain’s meeting.

I’m not sure how many people even saw it, but right then everything that I had heard about Elijah was verified.
He takes David to the captain meeting every time he, David, is able to attend the home games! This pretty much sums up the type of young man that Elijah is! Thanks for noticing and commenting dani!

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

BudLytle wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:00 am
danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:43 pm Before we played at Huntington earlier this year, when they called the captains to mid court in the pregame, Huntington’s Elijah McCloskey told them to hold on and ran over past our bench. When he got there, he found his friend who is wheelchair bound and asked him if he wanted to come out with him. So, after he said yes, Elijah led him out for the captain’s meeting.

I’m not sure how many people even saw it, but right then everything that I had heard about Elijah was verified.
He takes David to the captain meeting every time he, David, is able to attend the home games! This pretty much sums up the type of young man that Elijah is! Thanks for noticing and commenting dani!
Elijah is an amazing young man. Priviledge to k ow him for so many years.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Pfloyd, I am honored to call you friend. As a pastor and a basketball junkie, I followed on here and prayed for you having never met you. I couldn’t have picked you out in a lineup. Lol! Doesn’t matter you were my message board friend that was fighting his butt off against a terrible disease. I figured a few extra prayers from Waverly couldn’t hurt. Since then I have been able to meet you in person and talk basketball a few times. I have met many from on here and even though we root for different teams, We are and will be basketball junkie friends for life. If I may I would like to share a quick story. Me and my wife were married in 1996. I have been a basketball fan my entire life. UK to be exact, don’t hold that against me haha. I wanted so badly to have kids, to have a son or daughter I could share my love of the game with. Wasn’t possible according to the doctors. After a few years I had given up hope. Then we heard about adoption. After many miscues we were able to adopt three kids from Haiti. My daughter played 4 years for Waverly and I miss seeing her play. When we got our son Cody he weighed less than 10 pounds at six months old. He was so tiny I could palm him with one hand at six months. He was severely malnutritioned and about to die. We were able to save his life and he has grown up to be a healthy strong young athlete. When my daughter started playing High School I gave up coaching which I dearly loved, to watch her play. I have continued to watch Cody play who is now a senior for Waverly. There have been ups and downs. His sophomore year he shattered his growth plate and missed an entire year. Last year he was able to come back and help lead his team to the district finals. I get so much enjoyment watching my kids play. I know everyone else does as well. God has blessed me! I am eternally grateful he has allowed me to be a part as a coach and as a fan of a game I truly love. Our other son doesn’t care for basketball at all. Lol! I have come to terms with that as well. I am going to enjoy watching Cody finish out his senior year and then I am going to join with Pfloyd and watch the greatest game ever invented in gyms in southeastern Ohio for the rest of my days. God Bless.

TrueFan
JV Team

Post by TrueFan »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:44 pm Let’s here some pertaining to our SE District (feel free to go back in time)

Back in 2012 at Jackson’s senior night we had 6 seniors. Two seniors were mainstay starters from game 1 of their sophomore year. The one senior who was a really good perimeter shooter and solid guard insisted to coach that he would be the senior on the bench, thus allowing the senior that never started would get the appropriate senior starting spot and early playing time. It doesn’t sound like much but I’ve never seen that happen before and when I think of that player....I don’t remember his 500-600 points, I remember his display of kindness that night.

Last season when Washington CH visited Jackson they had a guard and Jackson’s Carson Spohn was told to follow him everywhere, well he did and was well within the rules but also relentless and probably a bit irritating. During a free throw late in the game the Washington player was called over by his coach....and Spohn of course went with him and stood about 9 inches away as coach spoke to the player. Never blinking. The Washington player then grabbed his water bottle, squirted himself a drink and then looked at Spohn and without words offered Spohn a drink. Spohn nodded, Wash player squeezed him a mouthful and they went back to business. Loved that high road he took and everyone on Jackson side that saw it did too.

At Whiteoak they have a special needs kid that everyone loves and he’s always been part of the basketball team since 3rd grade (Friday he was crowned homecoming king)...every now and then he gets an opportunity to play the final portion of the game. Each time I’ve watched his teammates make sure he gets the ball, the opponent does what they should and the referees sometimes miss a little travel...and when it goes in, it’s the only moment everyone in the gym is happy.

Let’s hear some of yours
Not to be picky here, but the post about the WCH player, are we for sure it was a WCH player? I thought it was a Miami Trace player....or did it happen twice? I was thinking it was Cameron Carter from Miami Trace. Seems like he was always doing things like that with other players. He was a great basketball player who enjoyed the competition, but an even better young man.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Just this passed weekend, all SVC teams and Chillicothe wore Kunkel Strong t-shirts during warmups to support Eli Kunkel, a 2015 Adena Graduate and standout baseball player, who was recently diagnosed with a fatal brain disease(Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease), and is not given much time to live. A great showing of support from the entire area.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ukfanatic wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:14 am Pfloyd, I am honored to call you friend. As a pastor and a basketball junkie, I followed on here and prayed for you having never met you. I couldn’t have picked you out in a lineup. Lol! Doesn’t matter you were my message board friend that was fighting his butt off against a terrible disease. I figured a few extra prayers from Waverly couldn’t hurt. Since then I have been able to meet you in person and talk basketball a few times. I have met many from on here and even though we root for different teams, We are and will be basketball junkie friends for life. If I may I would like to share a quick story. Me and my wife were married in 1996. I have been a basketball fan my entire life. UK to be exact, don’t hold that against me haha. I wanted so badly to have kids, to have a son or daughter I could share my love of the game with. Wasn’t possible according to the doctors. After a few years I had given up hope. Then we heard about adoption. After many miscues we were able to adopt three kids from Haiti. My daughter played 4 years for Waverly and I miss seeing her play. When we got our son Cody he weighed less than 10 pounds at six months old. He was so tiny I could palm him with one hand at six months. He was severely malnutritioned and about to die. We were able to save his life and he has grown up to be a healthy strong young athlete. When my daughter started playing High School I gave up coaching which I dearly loved, to watch her play. I have continued to watch Cody play who is now a senior for Waverly. There have been ups and downs. His sophomore year he shattered his growth plate and missed an entire year. Last year he was able to come back and help lead his team to the district finals. I get so much enjoyment watching my kids play. I know everyone else does as well. God has blessed me! I am eternally grateful he has allowed me to be a part as a coach and as a fan of a game I truly love. Our other son doesn’t care for basketball at all. Lol! I have come to terms with that as well. I am going to enjoy watching Cody finish out his senior year and then I am going to join with Pfloyd and watch the greatest game ever invented in gyms in southeastern Ohio for the rest of my days. God Bless.
... thank you UKfanatic - the SEOPs Nation was there when I needed ALL of those prayers - thank you for being one of the many ... great story "my friend" that you have shared about Cody , his brother & sister ... you gave those children life AND "a life" ... looking forward to having you in the Cheap Seats next year ! ... you will never regret getting out and seeing ALL of the outstanding hoops in SE Ohio , along with meeting some of the best peoples anywhere who also happen to love the game of high school basketball ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

se-alum wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:41 am Just this passed weekend, all SVC teams and Chillicothe wore Kunkel Strong t-shirts during warmups to support Eli Kunkel, a 2015 Adena Graduate and standout baseball player, who was recently diagnosed with a fatal brain disease(Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease), and is not given much time to live. A great showing of support from the entire area.
... Chillicothe and Washington CH both wore the t-shirts during warm-ups , the players on the benches kept them on during the game as well ... our prayers are with Eli & his family ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ukfanatic wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:14 am Pfloyd, I am honored to call you friend. As a pastor and a basketball junkie, I followed on here and prayed for you having never met you. I couldn’t have picked you out in a lineup. Lol! Doesn’t matter you were my message board friend that was fighting his butt off against a terrible disease. I figured a few extra prayers from Waverly couldn’t hurt. Since then I have been able to meet you in person and talk basketball a few times. I have met many from on here and even though we root for different teams, We are and will be basketball junkie friends for life. If I may I would like to share a quick story. Me and my wife were married in 1996. I have been a basketball fan my entire life. UK to be exact, don’t hold that against me haha. I wanted so badly to have kids, to have a son or daughter I could share my love of the game with. Wasn’t possible according to the doctors. After a few years I had given up hope. Then we heard about adoption. After many miscues we were able to adopt three kids from Haiti. My daughter played 4 years for Waverly and I miss seeing her play. When we got our son Cody he weighed less than 10 pounds at six months old. He was so tiny I could palm him with one hand at six months. He was severely malnutritioned and about to die. We were able to save his life and he has grown up to be a healthy strong young athlete. When my daughter started playing High School I gave up coaching which I dearly loved, to watch her play. I have continued to watch Cody play who is now a senior for Waverly. There have been ups and downs. His sophomore year he shattered his growth plate and missed an entire year. Last year he was able to come back and help lead his team to the district finals. I get so much enjoyment watching my kids play. I know everyone else does as well. God has blessed me! I am eternally grateful he has allowed me to be a part as a coach and as a fan of a game I truly love. Our other son doesn’t care for basketball at all. Lol! I have come to terms with that as well. I am going to enjoy watching Cody finish out his senior year and then I am going to join with Pfloyd and watch the greatest game ever invented in gyms in southeastern Ohio for the rest of my days. God Bless.
Already a fan of your son, now even more so

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

TrueFan wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:26 am
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:44 pm Let’s here some pertaining to our SE District (feel free to go back in time)

Back in 2012 at Jackson’s senior night we had 6 seniors. Two seniors were mainstay starters from game 1 of their sophomore year. The one senior who was a really good perimeter shooter and solid guard insisted to coach that he would be the senior on the bench, thus allowing the senior that never started would get the appropriate senior starting spot and early playing time. It doesn’t sound like much but I’ve never seen that happen before and when I think of that player....I don’t remember his 500-600 points, I remember his display of kindness that night.

Last season when Washington CH visited Jackson they had a guard and Jackson’s Carson Spohn was told to follow him everywhere, well he did and was well within the rules but also relentless and probably a bit irritating. During a free throw late in the game the Washington player was called over by his coach....and Spohn of course went with him and stood about 9 inches away as coach spoke to the player. Never blinking. The Washington player then grabbed his water bottle, squirted himself a drink and then looked at Spohn and without words offered Spohn a drink. Spohn nodded, Wash player squeezed him a mouthful and they went back to business. Loved that high road he took and everyone on Jackson side that saw it did too.

At Whiteoak they have a special needs kid that everyone loves and he’s always been part of the basketball team since 3rd grade (Friday he was crowned homecoming king)...every now and then he gets an opportunity to play the final portion of the game. Each time I’ve watched his teammates make sure he gets the ball, the opponent does what they should and the referees sometimes miss a little travel...and when it goes in, it’s the only moment everyone in the gym is happy.

Let’s hear some of yours
Not to be picky here, but the post about the WCH player, are we for sure it was a WCH player? I thought it was a Miami Trace player....or did it happen twice? I was thinking it was Cameron Carter from Miami Trace. Seems like he was always doing things like that with other players. He was a great basketball player who enjoyed the competition, but an even better young man.
You know...maybe it was MT. I bet you are right. I’ll check and edit.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Let’s hear some of yours
Just found it buried on page 9...you are correct it was MT and I didn’t label the name but assume it was Carter. I’ll edit the original. Thanks for the correction.

TrueFan
JV Team

Post by TrueFan »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:51 am

Let’s hear some of yours
Just found it buried on page 9...you are correct it was MT and I didn’t label the name but assume it was Carter. I’ll edit the original. Thanks for the correction.
No problem. Wasn't trying to nitpick either, so hope it wasn't taken that way. Was just curious if it had happened with WCH too, as I thought I remembered it with Carter and MT.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

TrueFan wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:14 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:51 am

No problem. Wasn't trying to nitpick either, so hope it wasn't taken that way. Was just curious if it had happened with WCH too, as I thought I remembered it with Carter and MT.
I just flat out misremembered lol

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Great stuff and awesome read !

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Another great story... I do hold being a UK fan against you though. Jk

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Matt join the crowd. Most of my friends do. Goes with the territory!

Return to “Boys Basketball”