SW JEEPS and tournament time

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Re: SW JEEPS and tournament time

Post by Spalding22 »

Eugene2009 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:41 pm
Spalding22 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:15 pm You just said “outsider.” The bias through that statement alone is pretty clear. I’ll open my eyes. You open your mind.
Your original post on this thread said “SW looked vulnerable vs mediocre teams with good coaching”. The only teams that Persin wasn’t on the bench was vs Burg & Minford…neither mediocre, far from it. Then you imply the losses were a “coaching issue” and acted like the outcome would be much different had he been there…..but they were vulnerable vs mediocre teams when he was there. Which one is it ??????? I don’t think it’s my mind that needs opened.
You just answered your own question if you follow the logic. They are mediocre (my opinion). Minford isn’t as “mediocre” as Burg. However against minford, If the coach isn’t lax with the timeouts and calls them at the appropriate times rather than what appeared to be giving up, you might send the game into overtime. Any reasonable basketball mind switches to a zone against burg. SW also was up 12 points at one point during that game. During those two games lack of effort and ability among the shot caller seemed apparent to anyone watching. SW is significantly more talented than burg, and in my eyes more talented than Minford. The outcome likely would have been different if Persin was there, most definitely. It doesn’t take much energy to say hey “switch to a zone, or hey, sub A in but not A and B because we need C,D,E, and F in because A and B will be a liability if they are in there at the same time. Not to mention the exchange student was completely neglected in the minford game after having an excellent first half. Persin came back. Exchange student sure wasn’t neglected against Waverly. Come tournament time, they will be vulnerable against teams they shouldn’t lose to if coaching lapses happen against mediocre teams. Coaching liability is the concern. Again, I hope I am proven wrong. I believe bias is giving you trouble in following the logic and that’s okay. We can agree to disagree. I hope things change but if they don’t, watch and see.

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Post by Eugene2009 »

Spalding22 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:22 pm
Spalding22 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:15 pm You just said “outsider.” The bias through that statement alone is pretty clear. I’ll open my eyes. You open your mind.
Your original post on this thread said “SW looked vulnerable vs mediocre teams with good coaching”. The only teams that Persin wasn’t on the bench was vs Burg & Minford…neither mediocre, far from it. Then you imply the losses were a “coaching issue” and acted like the outcome would be much different had he been there…..but they were vulnerable vs mediocre teams when he was there. Which one is it ??????? I don’t think it’s my mind that needs opened.
You just answered your own question if you follow the logic. They are mediocre (my opinion). Minford isn’t as “mediocre” as Burg. However against minford, If the coach isn’t lax with the timeouts and calls them at the appropriate times rather than what appeared to be giving up, you might send the game into overtime. Any reasonable basketball mind switches to a zone against burg. SW also was up 12 points at one point during that game. During those two games lack of effort and ability among the shot caller seemed apparent to anyone watching. SW is significantly more talented than burg, and in my eyes more talented than Minford. The outcome likely would have been different if Persin was there, most definitely. It doesn’t take much energy to say hey “switch to a zone, or hey, sub A in but not A and B because we need C,D,E, and F in because A and B will be a liability if they are in there at the same time. Not to mention the exchange student was completely neglected in the minford game after having an excellent first half. Persin came back. Exchange student sure wasn’t neglected against Waverly. Come tournament time, they will be vulnerable against teams they shouldn’t lose to if coaching lapses happen against mediocre teams. Coaching liability is the concern. Again, I hope I am proven wrong. I believe bias is giving you trouble in following the logic and that’s okay. We can agree to disagree. I hope things change but if they don’t, watch and see.
Wait…is this that Jr high coach the varsity staff ran off? Throwing shade at the assistant knowing Norm won’t return next year in an attempt to weasel their way to having a shot at the job. It all makes sense now….but you don’t have a chance in hell. Nice try though!

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

Eugene2009 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:24 pm
Spalding22 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:22 pm
Wait…is this that Jr high coach the varsity staff ran off? Throwing shade at the assistant knowing Norm won’t return next year in an attempt to weasel their way to having a shot at the job. It all makes sense now….but you don’t have a chance in hell. Nice try though!
Are we speculating? This is too much fun.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

No. Anthony was coaching the Jr high team to a double OT win vs valley tonight.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

Sounds like he might have a better shot than you have you gave him, Eugene.

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Post by Eugene2009 »

Spalding22 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:42 pm Sounds like he might have a better shot than you have you gave him, Eugene.
Im not the one that gave him the boot!

LoyalOak
Waterboy

Post by LoyalOak »

Frequent Flyer wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:53 pm Southwebstern is a dumpster fire in the making. What’s the deal with the best player and the assistant? Beef?
I noticed that in the game I watched as well. Seen them arguing back and forth during a timeout and the player was yelling at him. No way old version of norm would have let that fly

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

Don’t know. Don’t know. Seems to have a high basketball IQ. Might disagree with decision making. Who knows. Didn’t know there was beef??

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

🙄🙄🙄

Trimble plants on here using psyops to get in the SW psyche!

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:29 pm 🙄🙄🙄

Trimble plants on here using psyops to get in the SW psyche!
[/quote

Sure. We’ll go with that. 😂 only time will tell. Until then, stay warm.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Got the wood stove cranked on hell. Hopefully some of this heat will travel the half mile to the DarceeDome and keep the parking lot clear for homecoming

Frequent Flyer
Riding the Bench

Post by Frequent Flyer »

Looks like the vultures are circling over the carcass of Southwebstern basketball. Seems like several want the job after old poopy pants gives it up after this year. You guys are going nowhere in the tournament. One and done.

Glad we don’t treat our Coach Ed that way.

BasketballGuy
Waterboy

Post by BasketballGuy »

The first concerning culture issue at SW is that they are happy to have the “we competed” culture . If they lose a game to a larger school they the say well we are smaller . That’s the worst culture . Change your Culture to “ win at all cost , put the extra work in and piss excellence”

I have been to a few games and I’m tired of hearing people say why ain’t this kid this and that kid that , their is a difference between playing JV a varsity . Webster should be happy they had a few kids move in from burg other than the salty parents
Seems like their teammates are ok with then being their. Instead of crying how about someone reach out and help the 6’7” player

It looks like SW does have some coaching challenges this year , Persin is not the issue , it’s his health . When your leader slips your staff has to stand up to the challenge answer the call.
Push these kids to their limits . Again a few games I have seen this team could be special , don’t waiste it .

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

BasketballGuy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:20 pm The first concerning culture issue at SW is that they are happy to have the “we competed” culture . If they lose a game to a larger school they the say well we are smaller . That’s the worst culture . Change your Culture to “ win at all cost , put the extra work in and piss excellence”

I have been to a few games and I’m tired of hearing people say why ain’t this kid this and that kid that , their is a difference between playing JV a varsity . Webster should be happy they had a few kids move in from burg other than the salty parents
Seems like their teammates are ok with then being their. Instead of crying how about someone reach out and help the 6’7” player

It looks like SW does have some coaching challenges this year , Persin is not the issue , it’s his health . When your leader slips your staff has to stand up to the challenge answer the call.
Push these kids to their limits . Again a few games I have seen this team could be special , don’t waiste it .

Who from Webster is happy to just compete? There’s a bunch of youins in here spouting off some nonsense but that one there is top of the list. Nobody from Webster wants to just compete, unless it’s football. Literally no one is happy it’s been ten years since the boys team has won a district title. SW should win a district title every year. Matter of fact the basketball program is the only one that hasn’t won a district title recently.

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Post by Eugene2009 »

No one from the SW community is happy to compete, especially in basketball. They expect a district championship every year & have been very much let down, especially last year. As for the transfers, the only burg transfer that has significantly benefited the Jeeps has been the Summers kid…he’s well rounded, plays both ends of the floor. I’m not soldthe other burg transfers are an upgrade over the kids that have been there. Honestly I think Shupert & Barnard give them most upside, especially vs zone when perimeter shooting is needed. Shupert has knocked down some shots in a few games so has Campbell. The transfers have yet to show they can make shots, hopefully that changes because they will have to if SW is going to make it out of the district. I do think Mault still isn’t the same from his head injury but I expect him to get better. He did show some flashes last year.

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

Eugene2009 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:42 pm No one from the SW community is happy to compete, especially in basketball. They expect a district championship every year & have been very much let down, especially last year. As for the transfers, the only burg transfer that has significantly benefited the Jeeps has been the Summers kid…he’s well rounded, plays both ends of the floor. I’m not soldthe other burg transfers are an upgrade over the kids that have been there. Honestly I think Shupert & Barnard give them most upside, especially vs zone when perimeter shooting is needed. Shupert has knocked down some shots in a few games so has Campbell. The transfers have yet to show they can make shots, hopefully that changes because they will have to if SW is going to make it out of the district. I do think Mault still isn’t the same from his head injury but I expect him to get better. He did show some flashes last year.
As far as competing goes well we shall see. If they have a short exit, it won’t be because of the lack of talent. Do you think Persin would have taken the job if he didn’t see how talented the team was? So if south Webster is going to win, it will come down to coaching. Let it ride and keep your bias aside.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Eugene2009 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:42 pm No one from the SW community is happy to compete, especially in basketball. They expect a district championship every year & have been very much let down, especially last year. As for the transfers, the only burg transfer that has significantly benefited the Jeeps has been the Summers kid…he’s well rounded, plays both ends of the floor. I’m not soldthe other burg transfers are an upgrade over the kids that have been there. Honestly I think Shupert & Barnard give them most upside, especially vs zone when perimeter shooting is needed. Shupert has knocked down some shots in a few games so has Campbell. The transfers have yet to show they can make shots, hopefully that changes because they will have to if SW is going to make it out of the district. I do think Mault still isn’t the same from his head injury but I expect him to get better. He did show some flashes last year.
Good take.
Whitey has played significantly better the past two games though I’ll give him that.
I think Shupe needs to take a big ole drink and get some confidence back. Used to be a legit threat for 15-20 a game. Still the best defender on the squad

Also who exactly is going to knock the Jeeps out of the tournament early? Fairfield is going to be on the opposite side of the bracket. There ain’t no other d4 team in SEO even remotely close to being a threat except maybe Western if Haggy goes for 40.

This whole thread is nonsense
Attachments
IMG_0057.jpeg

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Post by Eugene2009 »

I agree…shouldn’t be much resistance until regionals…BUT I surely didn’t expect them to get outed by ND last year even with all the issues they had. But it’s clear things are different this year, not perfect, but definitely way better.

JeepNation26
Freshman Team

Post by JeepNation26 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:09 pm
Good take.
Whitey has played significantly better the past two games though I’ll give him that.
I think Shupe needs to take a big ole drink and get some confidence back. Used to be a legit threat for 15-20 a game. Still the best defender on the squad

Also who exactly is going to knock the Jeeps out of the tournament early? Fairfield is going to be on the opposite side of the bracket. There ain’t no other d4 team in SEO even remotely close to being a threat except maybe Western if Haggy goes for 40.

Attachments
clapping mascots.png

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

JeepNation26 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:21 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:09 pm
Good take.

What kind of coach would let one decent player know knock them out of the tournament? Haggy is good. He’s a 1 man band though. You can’t be real. Your bias is nonsense.

Return to “Boys Basketball”