DII - Logan sectional

vcgrad
All Conference

Re: DII - Logan sectional

Post by vcgrad »

As soon as the bulldogs have a bump in the road--watch what happens or the play a good team--whatever happens 1st.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:42 pm Logan elm beat bloom Carroll a few nights after losing to Athens. Meigs of course isn't the same team, but did beat Marietta three days after losing to Athens by 20. Jackson I think was down one starter, but still a solid win on the road for the Bulldogs. A win at Vinton County is also part of the 6-game winning streak.
The VC win is a really good win. I just was being over the top like some of the posters have been during the Bulldogs run. It does appear that they have things going in the right direction.

But, Bloom has been terrible since 2018 started, they lost their best player for the season sometime after the VC win for them. Definitely a strange year in the MSL with both BC and LE being well below .500.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:47 am Going into Wednesday:

1. Fairfield Union
2. Sheridan
3. Warren
4. Vinton County
5. Athens
6. New Lexington
7. Logan Elm
8. Circleville
9. Marietta
10. Westfall
... through the Tuesday night games (2/6) I'm going with :

1. Fairfield Union
2. Warren
3. Sheridan
4. Athens
5. Vinton County
6. Logan Elm
7. New Lexington
8. Circleville
9. Marietta
10. Westfall

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Should Unioto go into FU and get a "W" (yes I know the seeding will already be done/turned in by coaches) I would put Warren at #1 BUT I wouldn't feel uncomfortable going with this lineup NOW either as I believe the resume including good losses/good wins/SoS goes with Warren over FU :

1. Warren
2. Fairfield Union
3. Sheridan
4. Athens
5. Vinton County
6. Logan Elm
7. New Lex
8. Circleville
9. Marietta
10. Westfall

... after looking at ALL of the variables I'm going with this lineup , if FU beats the U then FU gets the #1 in my book ... then again I'm old, have bad eyes. drive a '75 VW Bus, and will go into a Baskin Robbins and come out with a vanilla ice cream in a sugar cone ...

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

vcgrad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:48 pm As soon as the bulldogs have a bump in the road--watch what happens or the play a good team--whatever happens 1st.
I guess they will get their chance next Friday and Saturday. Alex @ Athens 2/16. Morgan @ Athens 2/17. These 2 teams won't be pushovers.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

vcgrad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:48 pm As soon as the bulldogs have a bump in the road--watch what happens or the play a good team--whatever happens 1st.
I guess VC and Jackson aren’t good teams :lol:

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

And the thing you may not know about Athens is they have 4 or 5 guys hitting double digits on any given night. Unlike VC who has to rely on 2 guys in Speakman and Yates. So who is the more dangerous team? I think you already know the answer. Athens with the new lineup is also playing lights out Defense. They are clicking and playing TEAM ball. Right where they need to be going into the tournament.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

All makes a big "NO MATTER" once the sectional starts, then if you are lucky and make to convo---the real teams will so up---season will be over for a lot of se ohio teams.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:55 pm
bman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:47 am Going into Wednesday:

1. Fairfield Union
2. Sheridan
3. Warren
4. Vinton County
5. Athens
6. New Lexington
7. Logan Elm
8. Circleville
9. Marietta
10. Westfall
... through the Tuesday night games (2/6) I'm going with :

1. Fairfield Union
2. Warren
3. Sheridan
4. Athens
5. Vinton County
6. Logan Elm
7. New Lexington
8. Circleville
9. Marietta
10. Westfall

That's a logical way to seed things right now, as well. I haven't seen Sheridan, so I'm trying to give some respect to their record, but I'd take Warren if they were to play each other.

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

I know it only matters because of the side you sit on and what color jersey you wear, but I'm curious to know why you would give Athens the 4 seed over VC. VC and Athens split, VC will more than likely finish in sole possession of first place in TVC-Ohio and VC only has 6 losses compared to 9 for Athens.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

ShoeHorn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:42 pm I know it only matters because of the side you sit on and what color jersey you wear, but I'm curious to know why you would give Athens the 4 seed over VC. VC and Athens split, VC will more than likely finish in sole possession of first place in TVC-Ohio and VC only has 6 losses compared to 9 for Athens.
The only difference between 4 and 5 is one team gets to wear their home whites. lol

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:01 pm
ShoeHorn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:42 pm I know it only matters because of the side you sit on and what color jersey you wear, but I'm curious to know why you would give Athens the 4 seed over VC. VC and Athens split, VC will more than likely finish in sole possession of first place in TVC-Ohio and VC only has 6 losses compared to 9 for Athens.
The only difference between 4 and 5 is one team gets to wear their home whites. lol
I know. That's what I said. I was just curious as to why Athens would be more deserving of being the home team. Not arguing it or anything just curious.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I would say it has something to do with where PFloyd had Athens in his pre-season rankings. He looked for Athens to be "peaking" sometime around Christmas. It has been a little longer than that. But, Athens seems to have found their Identity going into the Home Stretch and playing as a TEAM. Athens has a strong SOS when you look at who they have played. Gallia Academy, Bishop Watterson, Warren, Logan twice.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Im just hoping we match up Logan elm and Warren again

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I look at the seedings a little different from "what will actually happen" ... most of the time they seem to go with overall records as THE route , especially NOW when there is no "face to face" meeting where you make you choice with ALL coaches in the room, discussion as to SoS etc. back to your question - when the reason I put Athens at 4 is imo the Bulldogs are NOW (the last 5-6 games) becoming THAT TEAM I envisioned they would be when I had them in the #9 spot in my Pre-season ranking - THAT #9 TEAM was one that USED the size Chubb/Hynes/Butcher/Dickelman as the focal point offensively ... looking inside with the ball first then looking outside ... Maxfield/Gerig/Koska/Saltzman/Cozart (injured out for the rest of the season) would be key players on the perimeter offensively with Chubb stepping out as well ... a bonus is that Butcher is probably THE BIG threat on the perimeter when he shoots the 3 ball ... Saltzman has stepped up offensively ... AHS also has Williams that wasn't in the picture for the preseason rankings ...back in the preseason - I envisioned AHS doing what they have been good at defensively - a matchup zone, trapping with their length on the perimeter ... THIS is the TEAM that I saw coming into the preseason ... confident/a string of W's ... Vinton County on the other hand I picked as my preseason #3 - the injuries have totally disrupted the growth of this TEAM ... I've seen bits and pieces of the team I put at #3 ... in game #1 vs BC the 3 BIGS (Griffith/Damron/Hammon) were outstanding ! aggressive on the boards at both ends - ATTACKED the basket offensively ... I have not seen THAT type of game from the trio since then ... I felt the PG position was going to be Speakman and it is - he IS the quickest PG getting to the rim I've seen ... Naylan Yates shoots lights out /quick to the rim - his MO ... the role players have been inconsistent offensively - I thought that VC would get more scoring from the perimeter - Jake Speakman is not the perimeter scorer I thought he would be , he has made himself one dimensional imo - gets to the rim ... Nevan Yates can score from the perimeter as well as anyone - but doesn't get the shots I thought he would get which makes his scoring per game inconsistent ... defensively I felt VC could be just as good as last season BUT that is not the case either ... when I've watched VC ,Speakman puts so much energy/effort into getting the ball up court, getting into the paint , getting to the rim he appears to be winded at the defensive end ... teams are scoring vs VC, I can't remember a season when the Vikings have given up 60 points in more games including 84, 76 twice ... I envisioned the same "keeping the opponent to around 50 points or less" defense - it's not there ...

... I know THAT isn't what you wanted to read - the lengthy babble LOL ... I suppose putting it into a few sentences :

Athens has rounded into the TEAM that is playing the defense I thought they would be playing, using the BIGS as I thought they would be used, are coming together at both ends of the floor at the right time ...

Vinton County ... if I have to go with A word - inconsistent ... (one other tidbit on the offensive end, I have seen VC 3 times - in each of those games when Damron & Hammon have been on the floor at the same time, every time they run a high/low game with the bigs it has worked usually with Damron getting the easy shot at the rim ...I've marked it each time , in each game I've seen - it has been unstoppable, I've never seen it NOT result in points ... but it is used a couple of times per game and then not gone back to , which I get - it all depends on matchups and personnel on the floor offensively as well ... a random thought - I haven't seen the VC motion offensively that I'm used to seeing ... secondly - defensive inconsistency ...

... as has been pointed out Athens & VC will be IN the 4 vs 5 game ... as to who gets 4 , who gets 5 ... you have my ramblings for my rationale for Athens at 4, VC at 5 ...

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:00 pm Im just hoping we match up Logan elm and Warren again
I think Warren and New Lex would be a good matchup.

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

The Bulldogs didn't just beat Wellston, they shot over 70% from the field (main rotation), and got to sit their starters with 13:00 left in the game. They played a nearly perfect basketball game, that matters.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:29 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:00 pm Im just hoping we match up Logan elm and Warren again
I think Warren and New Lex would be a good matchup.
I just like Stiverson vs Maddox because someone has to lose

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

moorelukas wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:37 am I think it's destined to be an Athens vs Vinton County rematch in the first round. When Athens was playing some of it's worst basketball of the season Vinton County only won by 11, then when Athens was playing at about 80% Athens won 54-51. The Bulldogs would have beaten every team in the section if they play the way they played against Wellston. 88-38 and the starters never came in after 5:00 to go in the 3rd, the 3rd! The main rotation shot over 70% from the field, nine Bulldogs scored in the first half, and Athens leading scorer, Justin Hynes, wasn't one of them. Every team in the section, especially Vinton and Warren, should be terrified of what Athens is capable of when playing at their peak. Even if Wellston had Simpson, Athens still would've won by 40. Are the Bulldogs better than the top 4? Maybe not. But the Bulldogs at their BEST, are capable of beating every team in the section at their BEST. Any upsets Athens pulls off, won't be an accident.
Believe this and take it to the bank WarriorNation DOES NOT fear Athens. The Bullpuppies are TTUN compared to Warren. Just as Ohio State regularly beats up on the Wolverines the Athens Bulldogs haven’t beaten Warren since b4 the 21st Century began and Bill Clinton was President. Lol

i83
Freshman Team

Post by i83 »

Be careful what you wish for don't know anybody would want to go against Maddox not me.

Return to “Boys Basketball”