Division 2 Tournament Southeastern

svac83
SE

Re: Division 2 Tournament Southeastern

Post by svac83 »

I don’t have a problem with them being 7th seed on the fact the only good team they got job done against is Athens all year. I totally get it.

But we also have no loses on that schedule that you look at and say man that is a bad loss.

If you look back about a month ago or so I was first to say Gallia may be 7th seed and everyone called me crazy.

I guess my biggest surprise out of this is last year we were 16-6. This year we are going to finish 14-8. This years schedule much more challenging then last year. Quality wins about same and last year a few bad loses.

Maybe the sectional that much tougher I don’t know. I was just surprised because everyone was saying no way they will be the 7th seed.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

All those details don’t get noticed by coaches.

I simply tried to give some reasoning behind the 7 seed.

Coaches look at who you beat — they don’t look at losses near as much. They just don’t.

I used your schedule after January 1 because you had a change which affected how your team was viewed and performed.

Washington can relate and empathize as we lost 21 points a night after the Adena game plus 2 who definitely would have helped off the bench.

The coaches this year — I think across all divisions — looked at more than win-loss record. People have been complaining for years that strength of schedule should matter and they moved in that direction this year and it’s not surprising that people from communities and schools who had better records aren’t happy.

Zach Fleer of 270hoops.com comprised a ratings system to help with the seeding of the huge central district.

He gave teams a rating and then bonus points for Good Wins and then took away points for bad losses.

He gave nothing or no merit for losses to teams equal or better than you. Losing to those teams don’t prove anything other than you lose to quality teams.

And to be totally honest I think it’s Strength of Wins not strength of schedule.

Fair or not that’s what measures teams for the most part — strength of wins.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

And I didn’t think you would be a 7 either.

It was in Jackson’s best interests that you were the 6 and Unioto the 7

It was in Washington’s best interests that you were the 6 and Unioto the 7.

Coaches don’t vote against their best interests very often.

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm All those details don’t get noticed by coaches.

Coaches look at who you beat — they don’t look at losses near as much. They just don’t.

I used your schedule after January 1 because you had a change which affected how your team was viewed and performed.

Washington can relate and empathize as we lost 21 points a night after the Adena game plus 2 who definitely would have helped off the bench.

The coaches this year — I think across all divisions — looked at more than win-loss record. People have been complaining for years that strength of schedule should matter and they moved in that direction this year and it’s not surprising that people from communities and schools who had better records aren’t happy.

Zach Fleer of 270hoops.com comprised a ratings system to help with the seeding of the huge central district.

He gave teams a rating and then bonus points for Good Wins and then took away points for bad losses.

He gave nothing or no merit for losses to teams equal or better than you. Losing to those teams don’t prove anything other than you lose to quality teams.

And to be totally honest I think it’s Strength of Wins not strength of schedule.

Don't take me wrong were ok with the 7 seed and I believe we can advance thru the 7 seed but a team that's is 9 and 11 is the 6 seed I wish we would have played them. Ironton from our league Plays Zane Trace tomorrow we will see how strong our league is after that game.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

SEOAL74 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:44 pm
LucasDavenport wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm All those details don’t get noticed by coaches.

Don't take me wrong were ok with the 7 seed and I believe we can advance thru the 7 seed but a team that's is 9 and 11 is the 6 seed I wish we would have played them. Ironton from our league Plays Zane Trace tomorrow we will see how strong our league is after that game.
It’s at Ironton so I’d expect an excellent game.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Being a Waverly an I wasn’t happy with the 5 seed but I am ok with the matchups. Would rather play McClain than Jackson or court house. We matchup real well and beat Sheridan last year. And then potentially would get Jackson In thedistrict final who we just beat and it was a ten point game most of the night. We would not have to play Zane trace or court house until regional semi. We have a shot.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Definitely no cake walk for the 6

Courthouse
Fairfield union
ZT

Barring an upset

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

mlittle wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:07 pm Definitely no cake walk for the 6

Courthouse
Fairfield union
ZT

Barring an upset
Agreed. I believe there were no easy paths in this sectional and that perhaps helped coaches dig into seeding and try and vote with their conscience. I believe that’s what we would all want.

Jackson v Gallia
Washington v Unioto
Greenfield v Waverly.

5 of these 6 are very intertwined. Gallia is the outlier and perhaps they were treated as such. But we all know that Jackson does not have a walkover

McClain 50 Jackson 48
Jackson 62 Washington 55 OT
Washington 54 McClain 47
Jackson 53 Unioto 31
Jackson 56 McClain 48
Washington 50 Waverly 44
Jackson 52 Washington 47 — Road
Unioto 57 McClain 55
Waverly 65 Jackson 54
Washington 47 Unioto 42 — Road

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Bottom line is you play your draw and win or go home. Time to put egos aside and root for your team to advance.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Tigersfan2019
Waterboy

Post by Tigersfan2019 »

Does waverly have a chance no respect for us anyways giving us the 5 seed so...

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigersfan2019 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:54 pm Does waverly have a chance no respect for us anyways giving us the 5 seed so...
The orange & black Tigers need to show up ready to take care of business and prove everybody wrong.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

On paper Greenfield and Waverly looks like a great match but I’m not so sure. Waverly has the ticked off edge firmly on their shoulder. Not sure Greenfield’s guards are enough. I’d guess Waverly by double digits honestly

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Ed Ott wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:58 am On paper Greenfield and Waverly looks like a great match but I’m not so sure. Waverly has the ticked off edge firmly on their shoulder. Not sure Greenfield’s guards are enough. I’d guess Waverly by double digits honestly
Each team is trending in opposite directions, so I agree that Waverly wins by double digits.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

McClain guards will be fine. This should be a close game. If Waverly doesn’t shoot it well their season will be over

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Since January 1

Greenfield is 6-5.

6-0 home
0-5 away. If you look at their losses I believe you will find them acceptable.

I believe whichever team survives this Sectional Final will know they were in a battle. My prediction would be with 4:00 to go it will be 48-47 and anyone’s game.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I have seen Waverly several times, and they actually are somewhat like Portsmouth.......they struggle at times in the half court offensively(not as much as the Trojans, though) but are much better when they can get out and run. If the Tigers (Waverly) can execute their half court offense efficiently, they will be tough for anyone to beat. Their defense alone will keep them in any game, with Cody Remington leading the way. They're one of the more fun teams to watch.

I'm glad to see McClain doing better......for almost 30 years from the early 80's, they were one of the premier programs in the SE district.

NCGreenwave34
Waterboy

Post by NCGreenwave34 »

Waverly-Greenfield: it should be close as it’s all guard
Control in tournament season. Defenses should be
strong on both sides. This game will be in the 40’s
With free throws being the difference of the game!

warrior1
Waterboy

Post by warrior1 »

SEOAL74 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:44 pm

Don't take me wrong were ok with the 7 seed and I believe we can advance thru the 7 seed but a team that's is 9 and 11 is the 6 seed I wish we would have played them.

Ironton from our league Plays Zane Trace tomorrow we will see how strong our league is after that game.
I just heard Zane Trace beat Ironton @ Ironton by a point. My Adena team got upset tonight, but it just shows you how good Zane Trace is to go onto the Tigers court and win.

I believe they are now 17-4 with losses to Hilliard Davidson, Gahanna Lincoln, Johnstown Monroe and Greenfield. This pioneer team could have been 20-1 if they didn’t schedule that tough of a schedule.

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

NCGreenwave34 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:40 pm Waverly-Greenfield: it should be close as it’s all guard
Control in tournament season. Defenses should be
strong on both sides. This game will be in the 40’s
With free throws being the difference of the game!
Flip a coin. This game should be terrific.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Greenfield is a tough matchup for Waverly. Their guards can handle the pressure and have multiple kids who can handle the ball. Waverly wears teams out and wins games in the fourth quarter or they turn you over and get easy transition buckets. Not sure they can do either to greenfield. They did it to Athens, Jackson and Oak Hill. Couldn’t do it to Chillicothe, Court House or Wheelersburg. The only team they completely shut down their guards and still lost was Eastern Pike. I don’t think Greenfield has a Michael Miller. Should be a great game and very fun to watch!

Return to “Boys Basketball”