Wheelersburg 08-09

chloe
Waterboy

Re: Burg B-Ball 08-09 Season

Post by chloe »

91Grad wrote:
chloe wrote:I know this is not a junior high thread but, in response to the above post. Speaking about the 8th grade team at Wheelersburg last year. 4 of the boys were transfers from Minford. 2 of them were starters and the other 2 played more than their share.
Ummm..... Was the team suppose to be stacked for barrick for te upcoming years after a not so good year?? Makes a person wonder. When they transfered to Wheelersburg in the 7th grade. They didn't have to repeat that grade. They were told in order to make sure they were on the high school team they had to be enrolled in the school system from the 7th grade on.

Exactly, this is not a junior high thread so take it there, you have repeated yourself 3 to 4 times about transfers, I take it you have a son in the 8th grade at Burg that lost some playing time because of it..I understand your complaint, but it happens everywhere.. practice and desire to be better is what wins a kid a starting spot on a team in any sport in any school.I have been there and told my kids if ya want to start and show you deserve too you have to earn it and show it at every practice and work to get better and guess what they did, and I was very proud of my kids.. Now back to Burg High School b-ball for this year, they have had some tough losses with Lang and Whitley gone for the season, but if i know Barrick he will get the most out of his kids and they will compete and find a way to win ... Good luck Pirates on your up coming season...GO BURG!!!

No a matter of a fact I don't have a son in the 8th grade at Wheelersburg. That would be kind of hard to do at 63 years old. I am a retired teacher from the system and just giving my 2 cents just like the rest of you. Thank You! I thought that this is what this site was for? Correct me if I am wrong...Which I am sure that you will.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Ok...well, obviously this was not a thread started with the intent to bash Burg and their so-called "recruiting" problems....get over the recruiting crap...fact of the matter is...the players at Burg this year are 97% Burg born and raised....and they are going to be pretty good, they will have a good chance at the S.O.C and they will make a short tournament run...can't see it being a huge one like in the past...but who knows...the kids from burg have heart...something a lot of other teams don't. That is one thing Barrick teaches those kids, if you don't have heart you might as well stay home. Burg will be tough...as for junior high kids being held back...I think it is wrong and will never do it with my child, but the fact is "EVERY" school has a parent who thinks their kid is going to be the next star and holding them back willl be a a great move for their development...whatever...I know kids at burg and won't say any names on here who's parents did just that..and now they study down at shawnee state...it is generally a parents decision at that age and not the kids nor the schools fault...blame the parent. If we want to talk about transfers the best one was Brigham Waginger who transfered to webster for his senior year to get a championship and then a few weeks ago I heard he was called the "South Webster favorite" at a Wizards game at the High School" c'mon give me a break! And the hughes girl...and a Swiss foreign exchange student and also a male exchange student "Ivan" who was on the championship team..shame on webster then...everyone is guilty! So from now on...let's talk about the season.

As for Zade Whitley, he was hurt in football, but word has it he will be back for the b-ball season and tougher than ever..he can flat out handle the ball and he will probably be one of the contending starters for point guard with Shankweiler. Zade is a little taller and a little slower than shank so who knows? But he is playing!

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Post by Sawdust »

The Ward boy will be a tremendous help at Guard this year. He is a Soph. and started last year on the JV. 'Burg will be fun to watch this year.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

I totally agree that there should be stricter rules on recruiting. That is all that I can say, will people follow that..no. What I would like to see more of, is coaches watching players make the grades for their classes and not cover up grades so players are eligible. uh hrrmmm...I won't say any names of coaches but I have heard things in the past and I am sure it goes on a lot....that is what is important..that kids graduate...and to cut kids short on their grades so they are eligible is wrong..maybe that is something that needs some attention also, but once again I was getting off track because of all the recruiting talk on here and that isn't the main focus..

Yes, Zade is a baller not a footballer...I totally agree...but yes he is back and should be good! Also the Shane Ward boy is a good player...he has good practice skills and seems like one of those players that Barrick creates that does fundamentals right..boxes out..shoots when open and plays D..That is a Barrick player..I don't think he will put of 15 points a night...but who knows!!!

I also want to tell you all that you should check out that Ironton Shoot Out on Dec. 22...WOW!! Col. Brookhaven, Huntington High who got a great ...here we go "transfer" from North Carolina and also a team from WV that plays a national schedule including, Oak Hill Academy and St.Benedict I think from NJ. Should be a great one to watch for a cheap price..plus the Burg fans can see what Ironton has...Burg vs Ironton should be a great great great great game. Kokendorfer, is there and also the point guards that are good..wow wish the Burg had Koke on their team...then I could say that a Convo run with a chance at OSU would be in the distance...but not sure about that now...probably not...Koke would be a starter and the captain with tons of playing time..sad to say he is a Tiger...ole well...get ready to lose to the Burg!!!!

footballfan49
Riding the Bench

Post by footballfan49 »

Sounds like there is a real log jam at Wheelersburg at the Point Guard position coming up over the next 4 years or so at Burg, Whitley is the real deal and has size which none of the 8th grade guards have, and then you have some real point guards in the 7th and 6th. The guard picture is bright at Wheelersburg but may produce some hurt feelings over time.

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

footballfan49 wrote:Sounds like there is a real log jam at Wheelersburg at the Point Guard position coming up over the next 4 years or so at Burg, Whitley is the real deal and has size which none of the 8th grade guards have, and then you have some real point guards in the 7th and 6th. The guard picture is bright at Wheelersburg but may produce some hurt feelings over time.

This is true at every position for Burg, they have great athletes at every grade level..Whitley is a great player and is going to be a good one , I look forward to watching him in the coming years at Burg..

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Kokendorfer has great skills...man he is a great skill player. But, I think at times he can try to do too much. But, when you put him on a team of 4 other good players he is a point machine! I would take him any day on my team..also he has a great attitude..that goes a long way too! Burg lost a great player in him...but there is always someone else willing to fill the spot..Ironton will be tough and probably the toughest game of the year for the Burg.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: Wheelersburg 08-09

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I saw Drew Spradlin shooting around with Zaide in the old grade school gym a few times right towards the end of the year last year. I think Barrick knows that Zaide is an up and coming star at the Burg and from what I've heard about him is that he is a super nice kid.

I agree with Shane Ward being a good player for the Burg. I was really impressed with his game. The only thing though, is he hurt because I don't think he has dressed for football all year.

Another one I think some people are forgetting is Nick Kemper. Nick has really matured alot on the football field and I look for him to be a starter on the team this year. He was brought up late in the year and while he was in there, he produced. I think the football will help him with his strength and he could be a force on the boards.

Possibility Burg will be young with no Seniors on the team. The only Junior on the team from last was Robertson and I'm not sure he will be playing. Sitting here looking at the program from last year and I think the Burg will be a little better then what people think. I can see a record from around 18-2 to 16-4. Barrick's coaching abilities will win them at least 5-6 games that they should have lost. He knows how to play to a teams weakness and he knows that everytime a Burg players steps on that court, they have it in the back of their mind that they are going to win this game tonight and that they will give 110% on every play. That is something that is enstilled in all Burg players from the time they start playing pee-wee ball. Not being arrogant or cocky, just stating a fact. Burg expects to win every game and when they lose, they go back and see what they did wrong so that when they play that team again, they can fix the mistakes they made.

Looking forward to opening night in the new gym agaisnt Chesapeake. Should be a dandy.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Robertson has gone to open gym at least one time...

And Shane Ward did play in a couple of football games but he was hurt again the last time I saw him.

I am looking forward to basketball season. Lots of talent that I have been watching develop for years. They will be fine and I am willing to bet will be in the top three in the SOC II once more. And the lighting in the gym is VERY nice.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Ward actually hurt his shoulder form what I hear...I am not sure about his recovery or his b-ball playing abilities..

As for Zade Whitley..what a good player and off the court one of the most geniune kids I have ever met! He will be a great help on the team this year.

Burg will turn some heads this year..yes they are young and they have some inexperience on the court as far as Varsity play goes...but Barrick has them in the gym now running and doing drills...they will be ready...aren't they always?

Plus...like I said Andy Stegman will be the key player this year and he is the first Sophomor captain Barrick has ever had on his team! Also, Tyler Lang is a captain but he is not playing this season...I have my own opinion about that too...

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

with the injury Lang had there is no way he could play bball this yr and be effective. It takes at least 9-12 months to get back to 100%.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

We all know Lang can't play....that has been determined a long time ago...but there are people who can play his position just as well...they just don't have the experience yet that he has...but that will come with a few games..

My question is and I am not taking sides to either side of the idea...but should a player be picked as a captain on a team in which he won't be trying out for and not playing for either, which I am sure he will his senior year but not this year...is that fair? That is my question?

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

therepublican wrote:We all know Lang can't play....that has been determined a long time ago...but there are people who can play his position just as well...they just don't have the experience yet that he has...but that will come with a few games..

My question is and I am not taking sides to either side of the idea...but should a player be picked as a captain on a team in which he won't be trying out for and not playing for either, which I am sure he will his senior year but not this year...is that fair? That is my question?

Where did you here that? If that is the case, I don't get it. Is he going to be sitting on the bench during the game? You've got guys coming back that had some varsity experience from last year, Nick Kemper being one. I believe that would be a first. Have a captain on a team that is not actually on the team.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Varsity captains are chosen during the summer, before school starts.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Hold on...maybe I wasn't clear enough...1st..Alabammike...I didn't know they choose captains in the summer...if that is the case then Barrick didn't know obviously Lang would get hurt..and Yabadabadooey...Lang "will" be on the team...but he can't play or tryout...but still is captain...but like ABM(alabamamike) that is a long name to write! they pick captains in the summer which I was not aware of...my bad...but anyways Stegman can lead the team, he has plenty of varsity experience, but I honeslty though Kemper would be a captain without question...he will be a main leader this year for sure.

1fan1
Riding the Bench

Post by 1fan1 »

The Pirates will be good this year, after a slow start, as usual! I agree that Kemper can add a lot of athleticism and experience to the team, so I hope he plays. He also is level-headed and going to be a junior, so he would have made a good captain choice, too. But, the captain is chosen in the summer and is not chosen by anyone else but the coach, to be able to show leadership early, I guess. It really doesn't matter, since being the captain at Burg really doesn't come with perks anyway. Barrick rides them all equally hard and captains don't do anything but shake the refs hand.
Zaide will also be back, and that is such a good thing for him and the Pirates. Basketball will be fun and strong at Burg, again and as usual. The new gym will be nice to experience, too. So, I imagine thoughts are turning to hear the balls bouncing and the tennis shoes squeaking soon.
As for the whole transfer issue, I don't think I have ever heard of so much bitterness and jealousy. All I have to say is that if anyone thinks Burg's basketball tradition came from transfers, they obviously didn't pay much attention to all the Burg guys out there in biddy ball, playing their hearts out and doing quite well for themselves all along. I honestly don't think the transfers "carried"anybody. They blended right in, but didn't carry anyone anywhere, with the possible exceptions of Cam (whom Burg claimed anyway, since Wheelersburg is the place of his roots and where all of his family went to school) and the player who tagged along with him, Seth. If others decide to move during their child's young years to choose one school over another one, then that is what open enrollment is all about: choice. It has to do with the school and all of its programs. But, please don't confuse choice with recruiting. And, last year's team was very senior-laden with boys (including Drew Spradlin who was never held back or sent late--and was one of that group's youngest kids on the team) who had been playing at the Burg and winning every championship tournament they entered since 4th grade. So, nobody coming along made them good. They were always good at basketball. In fact, sticking together was their trademark for 12 years at Burg. So, I think the whole transfer issue must be limited to two or three people whose kids got bumped somewhere along the line. I don't like open enrollment, either, but it exists, and we all live with it. No school is above another concerning that issue. Heck, look at the state champs and the Mayo mess!

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

Lang deserves to be a captain. He is the heart and soul of the team on or off the court. Captains are named over the summer, and there is no way coach Barrick could have predicted an injury, obviously. That being said, they have a captain on the floor and Lang is the true leader of the team.

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

Oh, I forgot to mention I think burg will go between 13-7 and 16-4. They are young and it will be rocky early, espescially offensively.

Return to “Boys Basketball”