SEOAL 09-10 Scores and Standings

Who wins?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:16 pm

Total votes: 0

warrior2012
Freshman Team

Re: SEOAL 09-10 Thoughts and Predictions

Post by warrior2012 »

Cap'n Scoop wrote:Cunningham and Venham are great players for Warren but I think Fivecoait is the guy that makes the team go. He may be the best defender in the league and when he starts scoring...look out. Ellenwood and Hilverding are also good role players. Warren should have another very solid season

Cunningham Venham Fivecoait Ellenwood Hilverding are amazing.
Knost is also a very promising sophmore, which he played Varsity
his entire freshman year. He tends to sneak in and get a shot. Also a
a number of sophmores possibly coming up to worry about, most
importantly henthorn.

see you on the court :)
GO BLUE.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Great read guys.

I don't follow the basketball like I do the football. I'm a "watcher from a far" - only made it to 2 round ball games last fall and likely will be similar this year for me.

But TrojanDave and pfloyd are without a doubt two of the best fans in southeast Ohio. And as long as they are around and I can read their basketball updates, I'll stay "connected."

I hope the Chieftains can put it together this year.

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

Warren is loaded this year. They have experience, senior leadership and really good depth coming off the bench. Have high expectations this winter. Warren has a great overall sports program this year. Alot of great athletes walking the halls at Warren.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... hardrock21 ...let's throw into the mix of "experience, senior leadership and ... depth ...off the bench" the coaching factor ... many rosters have the same mix that you mentioned -experience,leadership,depth - but they don't produce on the court ... what I see as an "x- factor" is the coaching/teaching factor of Coach Maddox and his staff ... the emphasis in Barlow from the beginning of Coach Maddox's reign as the Warrior mentor has been to develop a "program" ... if you have been a fan of hoops in Southern/Southeast Ohio over the course of Coach Maddox's tenure you know that they have been successful - every year we as Cheap Seat guys can count on a quality product being put on the hardwood for the Blue & White , a product that is not dictated by "talent" , it is dictated by the coaching, the teaching of fundamentals - the program ... NOW when you throw in "experience, senior leadership, depth off the bench" AND TALENT ???!!! ... we will see a Warrior TEAM at/near the top of the pack of all teams in Southern/Southeastern Ohio and a major contender for an SEOAL title in 2009-10 ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Purple Menu 2009-10

Dec 8 Bloom Carroll
Dec 15 Fairfield Union
Dec 18 Jackson
Dec 22 Gallia Academy
Dec 29 Warren Local

Jan 5 Marietta
Jan 8 Ironton
Jan 9 Newark
Jan 12 Athens
Jan 15 Portsmouth
Jan 19 Chillicothe
Jan 22 Jackson
Jan 23 Vinton Co
Jan 29 Gallia Academy
Jan 30 Lancaster

Feb 02 Marietta
Feb 05 Warren
Feb 09 Chillicothe
Feb 12 Ironton
Feb 19 Portsmouth

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

logans schedule looks favorable starting out ....they can start out 5-0 going into january

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 5 of the first 6 games at the friendly confines of Jim's Gym ... should be a great opportunity to get off to a good start for "Myers, McNeal & Koons" (reads like a law firm lol) and the Purple boyz ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'll tell ya......Jackson was pretty darn good the last half of last season and nearly everyone returns including 2 with a shot at 1,000 career points and a darn good coaching staff.

I predict this is a bad season to overlook Jackson on your schedule.

Crazy Legs
Freshman Team

Post by Crazy Legs »

Ironman92 wrote:I'll tell ya......Jackson was pretty darn good the last half of last season and nearly everyone returns including 2 with a shot at 1,000 career points and a darn good coaching staff.

I predict this is a bad season to overlook Jackson on your schedule.

I agree they were supposed to be bad in football, now bad in basketball next will be baseball. Everyone always seems to sleep on Jackson but they do compete every year and always have a few surprises along the way.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

pfloyd wrote:... 5 of the first 6 games at the friendly confines of Jim's Gym ... should be a great opportunity to get off to a good start for "Myers, McNeal & Koon" (reads like a law firm lol) and the Purple boyz ...

Meyers, McNeal & Koon better hope for a good start or they might be on trial at the end of the year! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Malik London of Chillicothe should have an outstanding sophomore year and will probably lead the SEOAL in blocked shots.........another sophomore that I believe could possibly make the all-SEOAL team is Wayne Evans of Portsmouth.......Wayne can play several positions with his 6-1 frame, and could very well end up leading the Trojans is scoring........in addition to putting up some good numbers for steals, assists, and rebounds. He can drive to the hole or knock down the 3 equally well. He can also play lock down defense.

southernohiofan
JV Team

Post by southernohiofan »

sounds good for the trojans on having evans but the big question for the trojans is can they play team defense with maxium effort all night long on both ends no matter if the game is going in there favor or not...thats the big thing i seen over the past couple years, there effort was there when the going was good but would just fold when things where bad..you gotta go harder when your down

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

southernohiofan: You're right about the Trojans not handling adversity very well......one thing Coach Collins must change.......of course I think winning some more games could certainly help toward changing that mindset. Coach also wants to change the defensive mindset........with one word........pressure........from full court pressure to half court pressure to trapping to denying.........he wants his Trojans to make the opponent work for EVERY basket...........

Ideally, he wants to play at least 10 players to implement his defensive system. I think based on what I've seen at open gym he should have enough kids to do this.

Of course we will see in a few weeks how that transpires, but I would be shocked if we didn't see a serious upgrade in defense.........but with a new coach and new players, it will be a work in progress.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

Logangrad wrote:Does anyone know if Jackson has a foundation game and when?

Probably should know this but what is a foundation game?

Sportsfanallnitelong
JV Team

Post by Sportsfanallnitelong »

It's when two teams get together and play a game to raise money for a good cause.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

When and where do the Trojans have thier first scrimmage?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth's first scrimmage is Saturday, Nov.21st, starting around 4PM........Piketon, Belpre, and perhaps Oak Hill (depending on the football playoffs) will be there. The Trojans then will travel to Greenup County on the 28th........time uncertain........then on Dec. 1 PHS will play a foundation game vs. Notre Dame at PHS.

Sweet Pea
Freshman Team

Post by Sweet Pea »

@3>2

don't expect much from Logan this yr do ya??
so you think 5-0 start

BC in the opener could very well be a loss.
FU will be a little easier
Jackson is not a gimme
Gallia - i'll give you this one
Warren - the league favorite

I will predict Logan starts the season 3-2.

good luck this yr tho, the seoal should be a wild race this yr.
late
sweetpea

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

Sweet Pea wrote:@3>2

don't expect much from Logan this yr do ya??
so you think 5-0 start

BC in the opener could very well be a loss.
FU will be a little easier
Jackson is not a gimme
Gallia - i'll give you this one
Warren - the league favorite

I will predict Logan starts the season 3-2.

good luck this yr tho, the seoal should be a wild race this yr.
late
sweetpea

how can you say i dont expect nothing from logan this year when i predicted a 5-0 start...i never said i didnt expect nothing from them in fact i think they will win league this year they have the talent to do it and the league this year has a lot of balance

Return to “Boys Basketball”