Wheelersburg Pirates 2017-18 Season

D4hero
Freshman Team

Re: Wheelersburg Pirates 2017-18 Season

Post by D4hero »

my sources in da burg says only 1 sophomore came out for ball this year - one! - and he was a transfer in. whoops. how many seniors? 2?

whats going on in burg land? sounds like some potential problems are a brewin'

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

D4hero wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:56 am my sources in da burg says only 1 sophomore came out for ball this year - one! - and he was a transfer in. whoops. how many seniors? 2?

LOL your sources are wrong, The transfer in is a freshman... Burg will be fine!!!!

D4hero
Freshman Team

Post by D4hero »

Sport Fan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:44 am
D4hero wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:56 am my sources in da burg says only 1 sophomore came out for ball this year - one! - and he was a transfer in. whoops. how many seniors? 2?

LOL your sources are wrong, The transfer in is a freshman... Burg will be fine!!!!
no sir YOU are wrong. Truitt yes is a freshman! I'm talking about Thompson the kid that went from SW to Chilli now @ Burg, he is a soph! most likely a jv player but just stating FACTS

no doubt team should still be good BEST PLAYER IN SE OHIO ON THE TEAM! Good athletes surrounding him I just cant believe numbers are so low at burg thats crazy

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

My thoughts on burg basketball.

1. Burg is generally behind because of football success.
2. Athletes want to play. Playing 6 to 7 rotation players night in night out gets old to the kid on the bench who works hard everyday in practice.
3. Basketball isn’t for everybody.
4. The pee wee program is not good. Kids don’t show up to school pee wee practice because of travel. There are too many travel teams with kids that are put together by friends and their parents. I realize that anyone can travel and the kids need to get more time in gym but kids get disappointed when they aren’t invited to these teams, especially when they wear uniforms that look like nba teams. There is no process that builds basketball. That’s why burgs football success is so evident. Parents don’t coach in pee wee where the emphasis is not on winning but teaching.

B-ball-fan
Riding the Bench

Post by B-ball-fan »

Holden will have to score 25-30 every night for Wheelersburg to be a great team. They are good either way but to win districts Holden will need some help. I understand Salyers is hurt and probably there best shooter from the 3so the Pirates will need some help from the 3 point line. I know Bradford very well and he is old school tough. IMO he has a hard time communicating with some of his players but a brilliant basketball mind. Good luck to Wheelersburg and all other local teams.

In youth we learn. In age we understand.
callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

I'm like Bait , I remember 10 years ago you had to wait a hour outside in the cold to get a seat at the Burg . As you can see the kids are still very athletic [ football , baseball ] is it the coaching?

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Post by allOhiotraveler »

Very interested to see Holden coming off a big year of growth. I believe a Special mention all state. Looking to see a potential matchup with one of the best players in the SE district and one of the best teams in the SE district in Fairland (new to D2)

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

4thgoal wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:53 pm They also play West Branch at the Kosta Koufas Classic on Feb 3 at Glen Oak HS. No idea what the quality of that team would be, they are D2 from NE Ohio.
Where did u hear that? I don't see it on the schedule I'm the school site

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:28 pm
4thgoal wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:53 pm They also play West Branch at the Kosta Koufas Classic on Feb 3 at Glen Oak HS. No idea what the quality of that team would be, they are D2 from NE Ohio.
It is on Arbiter
http://arbiterlive.com/Teams/Schedule/6055712

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

4thgoal wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:37 am
Mad-Dogg wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:28 pm
It is on Arbiter
http://arbiterlive.com/Teams/Schedule/6055712
how did we get in this classic?

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

JEEPNATION wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:27 pm

After some research, it shows that they went 9-14 last year and have had a losing season for 7 consecutive seasons.
they won the state title in football in 1994 28-11 over clyde

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Makes a lot of sense to play the night before, get up early the next day, and drive 4 hours for a 3:15 tip off in a meaningless game. Bad scheduling.

Hornetz_Fan32
Freshman Team

Post by Hornetz_Fan32 »

It will be fun to watch them play. They have a great sports program. Very exciting time at the Burg

Mash Potato
Waterboy

Post by Mash Potato »

Any news on how things are going? Kids playing, not playing? Starters?

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:16 pm Makes a lot of sense to play the night before, get up early the next day, and drive 4 hours for a 3:15 tip off in a meaningless game. Bad scheduling.
i was kinda thiunkin the same thing unless they reschedule the game the night before

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

It's strange to see such little discussion for Wheelersburg basketball.. Wheelersburg has such die-hard fans, and while football and baseball have had the most success lately, you'd think Wheelersburg basketball would be getting more attention.

The best basketball player in Southeast Ohio plays for Wheelersburg. Football success or not, you'd think there would be a little more discussion. I'd think Wheelersburg is clearly the 2nd best team in the SOC 2 behind Oak Hill, and should be one of the better D3 teams in SE Ohio. They have the athletes to compete with anybody around.

Anyway, from what I'm told Mash Potato, there were a handful of kids that didn't come out. I believe there's only 1 sophomore in the entire program this year, if my source is correct.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
burg1
Riding the Bench

Post by burg1 »

I heard the same thing junky. I also heard that there are only 2-3 seniors playing...

Regardless, with Holden and the schedule they are playing, I see Burg winning about all their games this year, except for maybe Oak Hill and maybe a couple others.

Hoping they can advance past sectionals this year.

GO BURG!

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:41 am It's strange to see such little discussion for Wheelersburg basketball.. Wheelersburg has such die-hard fans, and while football and baseball have had the most success lately, you'd think Wheelersburg basketball would be getting more attention.

The best basketball player in Southeast Ohio plays for Wheelersburg. Football success or not, you'd think there would be a little more discussion. I'd think Wheelersburg is clearly the 2nd best team in the SOC 2 behind Oak Hill, and should be one of the better D3 teams in SE Ohio. They have the athletes to compete with anybody around.

Anyway, from what I'm told Mash Potato, there were a handful of kids that didn't come out. I believe there's only 1 sophomore in the entire program this year, if my source is correct.
The times have changed since Coach Barrick left and they haven’t really recovered.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

callie15 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:33 pm I'm like Bait , I remember 10 years ago you had to wait a hour outside in the cold to get a seat at the Burg . As you can see the kids are still very athletic [ football , baseball ] is it the coaching?
That's probably because the old gym was about the size of a grade school gym.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Barricks last 2 years at Burg ending in 2012 and 2013 were both around 7-13 and neither went to The Convo.

Ater’s first 3 years The Burg went to The Convo and made it to 1 Regional.

Last year was the first time The Burg didn’t advance through Sectionals under Coach Ater.

Basketball has become the 3rd most popular sport at Wheelersburg behind Football and Baseball. This happened before Barrick left.

Losing Salyers and his outside shooting will hurt this team.

I don’t agree that Wheelersburg is clearly the Second best team in the SOC.

Good luck to Coach Ater and the Pirates.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk

Return to “Boys Basketball”