Logan @ Athens (1/6)

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: Logan @ Athens (1/6)

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Realist wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:25 pm Not sure if this specifically applies to Athens, but I’ve noticed in the last 10 years or so that more of our student athletes have become spoiled. Mommy (sometimes Daddy, but mostly Mommy) is in the stands just going on and on about her baby boy or girl. I hear it all the time. It just get worse every year. These kids think they can do no wrong and think there are no repercussions for their actions. It’s really sad. There is very little accountability. Parents CONSTANTLY bail their kids out of trouble.. they’ve got to let little Johnny or Susie fall sometimes so they know how to handle adversity when they face it. Sounds like these Athens players have not handled much adversity and that’s why they’re acting out.
Sorry, wat h a good program and tell me how many you see, or how many you see repeat the mistakes of others. Blaine, Stiverson, Wolfe, Barrack, Pearson, Davis, they would never have that stuff happen, regardless of the parents.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Realist wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:25 pm Not sure if this specifically applies to Athens, but I’ve noticed in the last 10 years or so that more of our student athletes have become spoiled. Mommy (sometimes Daddy, but mostly Mommy) is in the stands just going on and on about her baby boy or girl. I hear it all the time. It just get worse every year. These kids think they can do no wrong and think there are no repercussions for their actions. It’s really sad. There is very little accountability. Parents CONSTANTLY bail their kids out of trouble.. they’ve got to let little Johnny or Susie fall sometimes so they know how to handle adversity when they face it. Sounds like these Athens players have not handled much adversity and that’s why they’re acting out.
Sorry, what good program have you seen and tell me how many you see, or how many you see repeat the mistakes of others. Blaine, Stiverson, Wolfe, Barrack, Pearson, Davis, they would never have that stuff happen, regardless of the parents.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Sometimes you go through rough patches when you underachieve, especially if the players have had success in other sports. Or worse, seen previous teams have success and expect it to happen to them as well, in my experience, that's when it gets ugly.

Mom and Dad blame everyone else for why Jimmy and Joe's season isn't going well. The kids eventually learn that behavior and it is always someone else's fault.

I've seen a kid block a shot this year cleanly until their body drilled the offensive player. The correct foul was called and the player threw his hands in the air, because "it was all ball"

Athens isn't the only place that is having issues, but if they don't address and correct the issues soon, they will have a big time reputation among referees for being hot heads and complainers. Of course, that's if they don't already have that reputation.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:43 pm Good points.

I think it shows how impressive Norm and Howie and a few others are and the job they do. I mean, can you imagine an Oak Hill player throwing a ball and getting a T? My goodness, Norm would go bizerk. And if the parent tried to intervene, he'd probably have them banned from his gym. Lol
As would Blaine Maddox at Warren or Mark Duckworth when he was at Warren and Marietta.
I see it all the time in AAU. I’ve lost kids in my OVHG AAU program because we won’t tolerate that stuff. It starts in practice but you gotta set a standard with a ZERO tolerance. Players play and coaches interact with officials. Other than handing a red a ball or saying “Yes Sir” I don’t want my players showing their displeasure with ANYTHING other than their own play.
It comes down to TOO MUCH ME!!!
Parents are gonna be parents but it’s supposed to be the Coaches Program not Team but Program!!
Rant Over!!

thebarlowbandit
All State

WarriorBlue wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:42 am
93Bulldog wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:43 pm Good points.

I think it shows how impressive Norm and Howie and a few others are and the job they do. I mean, can you imagine an Oak Hill player throwing a ball and getting a T? My goodness, Norm would go bizerk. And if the parent tried to intervene, he'd probably have them banned from his gym. Lol
As would Blaine Maddox at Warren or Mark Duckworth when he was at Warren and Marietta.
I see it all the time in AAU. I’ve lost kids in my OVHG AAU program because we won’t tolerate that stuff. It starts in practice but you gotta set a standard with a ZERO tolerance. Players play and coaches interact with officials. Other than handing a red a ball or saying “Yes Sir” I don’t want my players showing their displeasure with ANYTHING other than their own play.
It comes down to TOO MUCH ME!!!
Parents are gonna be parents but it’s supposed to be the Coaches Program not Team but Program!!
Rant Over!!
Exactly!

bobcatforlife13
Waterboy

Post by bobcatforlife13 »

Here we go...First of all, I view Logan's Basketball team as the New England Patriots of high school basketball. Don't have to play dirty because they're very talented, but still do. Also, they are very good at playing to the refs and being perceived as victims of fouls on the court. That being said, enough of the bull about how Mommy's and Daddy's bail out their kids on the Athens team as well as other teams. That's a blanket statement and not every kid has a discipline issue. The whole, "back in my day" crap is exactly that...crap! I played in the 80's and believe me, there were PLENTY of Ts back then, too! Looked to me like the Athens coach is more interested in tearing down the players instead of building them up. His son looked like he would rather be anywhere but there. Felt bad for the young man. You can all get as mad as you want, but I was there sitting front and center on the Logan side, and I'm a neutral party. I have no dog in this fight, just my perspective from what I saw. There was a T called on Butcher last night that was not a T! He was trying to untangle his foot and wasn't even looking at the player on the floor. He was faced the other way. Probably looked bad,but I do not believe this was to hurt the other kid. Here's my take, leadership and all that comes with it starts at the top. Lots of talent on both sides of the court.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If you were sitting on the Logan side, you didn't have a good angle on the T.

I was front and center on the home side.

His foot wasn't tangled. He made no effort what so ever to step away from the Logan player. Probably would have went a long way had he maybe reached his hand down and helped the kid up. But he didn't, instead, stepped on him (or somewhat kicked him I guess. Not hard, not to harm, but egregious none the less)

I now that ref personally, talked to him after the game on the phone. He's been around a long, long time. In fact, he officiated the big Athens/Logan game back in 1990 at the height of their rivalry. But he rarely hands out T's to players! For him to hand out the technical, then it was probably deserved.

I'm a die hard Bulldog supporter, an allum, former athlete, and usually defend the green and gold on most things. But I also call a spade - a spade - when I see it.
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobcatforlife13
Waterboy

Post by bobcatforlife13 »

I see your point...but when that happened, I was floor level on the Athens side. But, I could be totally wrong. Didn't seem intentional to me, but I'm not a ref and your friend seems to have the experience to call it.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bobcatforlife13 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:55 pm I see your point...but when that happened, I was floor level on the Athens side. But, I could be totally wrong. Didn't seem intentional to me, but I'm not a ref and your friend seems to have the experience to call it.
I don't think he did it to harm and it certainly wasn't done with authority. It did, however, seem intentional or egregious though, that's what prompted the T.

He could have just stepped away. He could have put his hand down and helped him up. The action + the body language is just not a good look. I really like Butcher, he's tough as nails and plays with a chip on his shoulder. But sometimes he has to remember he's on a basketball court and not a football field.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bobcatforlife13 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:55 pm I see your point...but when that happened, I was floor level on the Athens side. But, I could be totally wrong. Didn't seem intentional to me, but I'm not a ref and your friend seems to have the experience to call it.
Nice to have some people post that aren’t adamant that their opinions are right and have ability to give other’s opinions credit.

Welcome. Please post more.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

bobcatforlife13 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:45 pm Here we go...First of all, I view Logan's Basketball team as the New England Patriots of high school basketball. Don't have to play dirty because they're very talented, but still do. Also, they are very good at playing to the refs and being perceived as victims of fouls on the court. That being said, enough of the bull about how Mommy's and Daddy's bail out their kids on the Athens team as well as other teams. That's a blanket statement and not every kid has a discipline issue. The whole, "back in my day" crap is exactly that...crap! I played in the 80's and believe me, there were PLENTY of Ts back then, too! Looked to me like the Athens coach is more interested in tearing down the players instead of building them up. His son looked like he would rather be anywhere but there. Felt bad for the young man. You can all get as mad as you want, but I was there sitting front and center on the Logan side, and I'm a neutral party. I have no dog in this fight, just my perspective from what I saw. There was a T called on Butcher last night that was not a T! He was trying to untangle his foot and wasn't even looking at the player on the floor. He was faced the other way. Probably looked bad,but I do not believe this was to hurt the other kid. Here's my take, leadership and all that comes with it starts at the top. Lots of talent on both sides of the court.
Did you just say that Logan plays dirty?? :lol: :lol:

Please explain to everyone who that is. Because I know these kids and they do not play dirty.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:37 pm
bobcatforlife13 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:45 pm Here we go...First of all, I view Logan's Basketball team as the New England Patriots of high school basketball. Don't have to play dirty because they're very talented, but still do. Also, they are very good at playing to the refs and being perceived as victims of fouls on the court. That being said, enough of the bull about how Mommy's and Daddy's bail out their kids on the Athens team as well as other teams. That's a blanket statement and not every kid has a discipline issue. The whole, "back in my day" crap is exactly that...crap! I played in the 80's and believe me, there were PLENTY of Ts back then, too! Looked to me like the Athens coach is more interested in tearing down the players instead of building them up. His son looked like he would rather be anywhere but there. Felt bad for the young man. You can all get as mad as you want, but I was there sitting front and center on the Logan side, and I'm a neutral party. I have no dog in this fight, just my perspective from what I saw. There was a T called on Butcher last night that was not a T! He was trying to untangle his foot and wasn't even looking at the player on the floor. He was faced the other way. Probably looked bad,but I do not believe this was to hurt the other kid. Here's my take, leadership and all that comes with it starts at the top. Lots of talent on both sides of the court.
Did you just say that Logan plays dirty?? :lol: :lol:

Please explain to everyone who that is. Because I know these kids and they do not play dirty.
Seen them play a number of times from up close and afar and I've never seen them do anything dirty. Obviously, not a person who is affiliated with Logan either.

Oh, and I know of a program that has gotten 1 technical foul in the past 7 seasons at the varsity level and that was a coach technical. Not that hard to play hard and not play dirty.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I've also seen over 20 varsity games so far this year and have yet to see a single technical assessed.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:42 pm I've also seen over 20 varsity games so far this year and have yet to see a single technical assessed.
Mr. Little got one last night 😎

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:42 pm I've also seen over 20 varsity games so far this year and have yet to see a single technical assessed.
Ever see a SEOPS poster/fan get ejected from a JV game???

I have.

Ty Webb!

hahahahaha

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:52 pm

I have.

Ty Webb!

hahahahaha
Lol! That's a pretty solid accomplishment!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'm surprised he didn't lose his endorsements for the round ball podcast after his actions that night.

Lol

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:59 pm

I have.

Ty Webb!

hahahahaha
What can I say, I'm gifted. The good news is....I hid in an undisclosed area of the school, and made it back to the gym for the varsity game. 8-)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ty Webb wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:10 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:59 pm

I have.

Ty Webb!

hahahahaha
What can I say, I'm gifted. The good news is....I hid in an undisclosed area of the school, and made it back to the gym for the varsity game. 8-)
Awesome

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

In Ty's defense, he probably shouldn't have been ejected. I don't even think he did anything, which made it even funnier.

Return to “Boys Basketball”