Chillicothe Coach Gary Kellough Steps Down

The Narddog
Waterboy

Re: Chillicothe Coach Gary Kellough Steps Down

Post by The Narddog »

Looking forward to the "new era". The new coach will do a fine job here in Chillicothe.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

most high schools do not reveal the candidates. it is usually a hush hush situation.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

I will try to stay away from commenting on the coaches out of the area as I obviously don't know much about them. If any are hired, I will assume that they were the most qualified and interviewed well and I will be on board. I will however say one thing about Woody. Pickerington Central has been a team over the last few years that has been very well coached, played a style of basketball that I believe is conducive to continued success, and has had good athletes. If he learned well from their current coach and brings with him an ability to stress similar fundamentals and work well with talented athletes then I believe he would be a great hire. Maybe even my top choice.

Out of the local coaches, I would like to give my opinion on the 3 that most are talking about. Outside these 3, no other local guy should be a finalist IMO.

Lisath has a very impressive resume and obviously is well qualified based on experience. He has won against mostly inferior competition but has had the tournament runs and the bigger non-conference wins to back up his record against SVC competition. I believe that his profession is actually a bonus. Ideally, you would want someone who is employed within the school system but if that is not a possibility, then someone who is in a position of authority and has a background in managing a large institution would be the perfect candidate in my opinion. When one thinks about it, once you know the sport, a great deal of coaching is simply maintaining authority, respect, and motivation and the rest is management and attention to detail.

Combs would be my second choice of the local guys. His record speaks for itself but there is no logical argument to be made that those wins were compiled against solid or even respectable competition for the most part. I believe he is a good coach but I would be hesitant to hire someone whom I don't know can do it on a "higher" level. That is not to say that if hired, he could not turn out to be a wonderful coach for the Cavs because he certainly could. Coach Kellough had a pretty solid reputation of winning in the regular season but not being able to beat the big boys or advance far in the tournament either before he came to Chilicothe.

Robertson IMO is extremely over-rated as a coach. He is young, he is energetic, his teams are fun to watch, and I think that draws people to him. However if you look at his record it is far from spectacular. I would be willing to overlook that if he were coaching at another school or in another conference. The SOC2 is a respectable league in southern Ohio but over the last 5 years Waverly has had some of the best talent in the area and not to mention the best player in southern Ohio since Anthony Hitchens graduated in 2008. His teams should have won 3 district titles and competed for a few regionals. Instead, they have looked disinterested, unorganized, and sometimes lazy to me. Especially early in the season and against inferior teams athletically. IMO, Kretzer didn't become the player he could have been and Waverly didn't become the team they could have been and part of that is coaching. Sorry for bashing the guy but those are my two cents.

IMO I favor Woody or Lisath. Wish Stiverson would have applied but that is life. I will be OK with whomever they select as I will not be in the interview room and trust the judgement of those involved. Only complaint so far is, why was Dante Jackson not interviewed at least? I know he is young, and has no coaching experience on the high school level but that kid will be a HELL of a coach some day. He was one of the hardest working players on Xaviers teams and contributed on 3 sweet 16 teams. His coach thought so highly of him that he was able to get a job as a Graduate assistant coach last season at OU and learned under one of the brightest young college coaches out there in John Groce. Add to it that he is a LEGEND in southern Ohio basketball and the kids would respect him from day 1. Dare I say, he would have even attracted some kids from out of the district on reputation alone. Not saying he should have gotten the job. But I think he should have been interviewed. How many of these coaches can say that they have experience being good at D1 basketball AND college coaching experience AND are young enough to bring a youthful energy and freshness and still command respect from players?

letsgolf
Waterboy

Post by letsgolf »

Solid list of candidates. I think it will come down to Lisath, Combs, and Meister. I know Meister worked wonders at Newark Catholic.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

First, I can not help but point out the gross arrogance of some posters of this thread. Yes, I am about to "go crazy." And are kidding me, is he ready to coach at an "higher" level? Let me first say, I would stack Coach Combs up against any coach in the area. I may be bias, but I have seen this man work and coach, and dare I say...the only thing that has separated Coach Combs from Coach Kellough, Coach Stiverson, or Coach Lisath has been talent, NOT knowledge, NOT work ethic, but TALENT. It is easy to win when you have DI talent such as Hitchens, Chambers, Ragland, London, or solid DII or DIII athletes like Blake, Blake, Pritchard, Beverly, or Legg, or Brush, or great athletes that can compete at the next level at other sports, Dawes, Givens, Hauserman, Southworth, and so on. In the past ten years Vinton County has had only three student-athletes to continue their basketball playing careers at the next level, Jerrod Albright - OUC, Dustin Guthrie - University of Northwestern of Ohio, and Levi Lawhead - OUC. That my friend is the difference, and it is undeniable. As for the butt-whipping by the Cavs in 2008 was the result of several factors, Hitchens, the Cavs shot almost 70% from the FIELD, Chambers defense on Guthrie, Hitchens, the Vikings shot miserably, and did I mention Hitchens. And by the way in case you haven't heard that 2008 Cavs team won the state title. That is why I am the smartest man on the internet.

Secondly, I want to thank all of SEOP posters who have PM expressing interest in getting to know my friend, Coach Matt Combs. However, I will NOT, at this time, entertain any responses. Just know, that IF Coach Combs is selected by the committee and IF Coach Combs decides to move on, the Chillicothe community will be the beneficiary of an outstanding human being, a top-notch coach, and a professional with unbelievable work ethic, he has passion for and the knowledge of the game, and the compassion of student-athletes while maintaining fairness and discipline that is expected.

Just one more thing, I agree with Sid Farkus, it was wrong what either Chillicothe High School or the Gazette or WKKJ or all of them has done. For example, while milling around town today, I had to explain to people who had asked about the situation that is not as it seems, the article is not 100% accurate. Also, this announcement has given the people of Vinton County pause, after all they have invested 12 wonderful years into an individual and what he and the student-athletes of Vinton County have been able to accomplish. I have tremendous amount of faith in Coach Combs and I am sure whatever happens will be done with the sincerest consideration for everyone involved.

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

The Chef has to agree what the media outlets did in such detail was wrong. Being a member of the Redstreak Nation and realizing that coaches do test the waters all the time. They have to because they are like gunfighters by always keeping one eye on the door. With that being said, the detail was not needed. The Chef is sure the people involved don't appreciate it either. It was reckless journalism.
Go Streaks!

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Rabeanos12 wrote:My point is it happens all the time its not a big deal. However, I did not read the part about people that were not selected for the final interview. That seems kinda strange. Although, once again, similar things happen at the collegitate and professional level. You see stories of big names interviewing and then the following day "So and so will not be the next head coach, the search continues".

High school is not and should not be compared to "What they do in College and Pro". Unless, there was a legal threat made to Chillicothe they shouldnt have gave all the names until they narrowed it down to a few final candidates.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:
bluecavs wrote:I looked at the final 8 potential coaches and this is what I see... I see some local coaches that obviously have been licking their chops to get a chance to coach the Cavs! I wonder how long these coaches had it in the back of their mind that if this job became available hurry up and apply. Jeff Lisath, solid SVC coach that is originally from Portsmouth. He had the opportunity to coach the Trojans again a few years ago and stayed with the Redstreaks. He has a loaded team coming back to Piketon (according to the Piketon faithful) and yet is quick to apply for the Cavs. He did lead his SVC team to the final four. I like some things about him but don't know if a prison guard should lead the Cavaliers.

I hope he turns it down......because he will have another successful season and possible Final 4 team. I believe he is a prison Warden, I know he is not a guard.

Portsmouths Coach Collins had a similar job at a prison and has taken the Trojans to the state tournament 2 out of his first 3 years coaching :mrgreen: .

best wishes to the cavs on their search for a new coach..

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

If people that do not have a vested interest in Chillicothe atheletics, the Chillicothe community, or the Chillicothe City School system do not like what is being said in the CHILLICOTHE GAZETTE, or blogs about Chillicothe athletics STOP READING IT AND POSTING ABOUT IT!!!!! GESE-LOUISE!!!!! Mind your own business!!!! Chillicothe City Schools will handle their business the way they see fit and the Chillicothe Gazette violated no privacy laws in reporting what they reported. Actually they had every right to investigate and print the information based on the Public Records Law.

As for Matt Combs; the man crush needs to stop!!!!! I have known Matt since he was in middle school. I watched him grow as a player and as a coach. I have been extremely impressed with what Matt has done as a coach. I believe if Chillicothe hires him it will be an excellent hire. He is not the greatest coach in the area as some would insinuate and may not be the best coach listed as a candidate. I personally would enjoy watching Matt coach at CHS but the candidate list is littered with high quality coaches. Matt would do a wonderful job at CHS but several of the other fellows would as well. Lobbying on here will not get him the job! All the man crush is doing is alienating many CAVS fans to the idea that Matt would become the coach at CHS. It would be a shame if your arrogant responses on this site alienated the wrong people, and those people either have a hand in the hiring process, or held sway with those that are involved in the hiring process. Chillicothe certainly does not need another know it all supposedly "supporting" the coach and program.

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

Have watched all of these coaches several times. I would put Miester up there at the front. He does an excellent job. Took NC to the final 4 and his final year there took a team of sophomores to a 17 or 18 win season. However, didn't he just leave a loaded Catholic team to go back home and coach @ Canton South this past year? Why is he now interested in leaving after only one season? Based purely on hoops he would be my choice, followed by Combs then Lisath. I only watched Waverly three times the past two winters and was not that impressed personally. Also, I tend to agree that the difference is talent. Vinton will never have the athletes that Chilli does on a consistent basis.

jumphigh
Varsity

Post by jumphigh »

Roll back the clock 8 years and put kelloughs name in the running for the position. What would have people been saying about him?

Myra Fleener
Riding the Bench

Post by Myra Fleener »

Chilly has a great list of applicants. Personally, I think it's important to have the coach in the building to monitor athletes on a daily basis. I have a feeling that Mr. Veris wants discipline on and off the court in his program. That would give someone like Meister, Combs, or Robertson an advantage over Lisath. I know that Lisath runs a disciplined program at Piketon, but some administrators want their coaches in the building when possible.

It also could work in Lisath's favor due to the cutbacks in the school district.

One way or another, they can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned coaches.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Buckcraze, I find the "man crush" idiom very hilarious. However, it is completely wrong. I was merely defending my friend, if you had read the previous posts by Chillicothe posters you would have learned that Coach Combs can NOT coach because he plays a "soft" schedule, his teams have under achieved, and the most ridiculous and ignorant, he CANNOT coach the African-American athlete. Furthermore, if a coach of his abilities is not selected for the illustrious Chillicothe Head Boys' Varsity basketball coaching position because of what some middle-aged hack may opine about on a forum, well then...Chillicothe may have more stemming issues than replacing a coach. "Gees-Louise!"

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

About the gazette doing the work to get the story out. It is news and the gazette did nothing wrong and in that line of work thats what your supposed to do. But I do see where it creates turmoil for the schools whose programs are hanging in the balance of what comes from this, the old adage, out of sight out of mind comes to my mind. kids are waiting to know if their coach is leaving them now since they have seen that their coach has applied to another school, they are going to open gyms waiting for their respective coaches to come in and say something to them about the situation, be it positive or negative, if the story didnt come out would not even be a thought on their mind. And you have the communites and schools in limbo because now its getting late, school yr is almost up, open gyms have started and june contact with coaches is right around the corner, and they are sitting there waiting saying lord are we going to have to find a coach.
As an adult I understand a person has to do what is best for them and their family, as in Coach Lisath being closer to work and home I get it, and I know he sees what Piketon will have for at least the next 3 yrs with the size and talent that is there right now, Im not as familiar with the jr high so I will refrain from saying what is there now as far as talent goes.
But Im sure its a struggle to these coaches and would say they didnt want to read this in the paper either. in the workforce that would be a good way to get sent packing if your company knew you were looking for a new job. because the company doesnt want to see a 2 week notice turned in and have to find someone to replace them in a hurry. i will put it this way if the newspaper found out that Kenworths managers were looking for a new job would you post it and possibly get them fired? Oh sorry were downsizing.
But again the news is the news and its not always what you want to see but it is what it is. personally i dont like this but hey its news.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Buckcraze, I find the "man crush" idiom very hilarious. However, it is completely wrong. I was merely defending my friend, if you had read the previous posts by Chillicothe posters you would have learned that Coach Combs can NOT coach because he plays a "soft" schedule, his teams have under achieved, and the most ridiculous and ignorant, he CANNOT coach the African-American athlete. Furthermore, if a coach of his abilities is not selected for the illustrious Chillicothe Head Boys' Varsity basketball coaching position because of what some middle-aged hack may opine about on a forum, well then...Chillicothe may have more stemming issues than replacing a coach. "Gees-Louise!"
I have read them! Not one said he could not coach an African-American! The question was posed about how certain individuals handle diverse situations, not just Matt. You interjected yourself into a situation that you have no vested interest in and decided to offer your opinions on Chillicothe, Chillicothe posters, and your undying love for Matt. I for one never questioned Matt's ability to coach basketball, ANYWHERE! Matt is an excellent basketball coach and would be a good hire for Chillicothe. Yes, I am repeating myself because you seem to remember what you want from posts and ignore what you want at other times. Matt has many friends inthe area and in the basketball community but you seem to believe you know have a much deeper insight to him than everyone else...aka MAN CRUSH!! Matt would be an excellent choice, but as a Cavalier supporter and alumni, we do not care what you think of us or our athletic programs. Find something else to do.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Look, I am not going to continue this. However, only to say, I have never disparage the Chillicothe athletic programs. I have on ocassion taken jabs at Chillicothe posters, especially those who have claimed to have superior intellect and vastly more logical reasoning when espousing the greatness of Chillicothe. Their arrogance drips from their chin much like a Pavlovian dog. What you may be not aware of, I have been a follower of high school basketball for more than two decades and I remember what it was like for Chillicothe in the 80's, 90's and the earlier part of this decade. What I don't remember is this passion, this interest, and unwavering support then. Remember the days when Chillicothe was DI, playing in the OCC, and there would be 50 people in the home stands on any given night? I do. But now, due to a recent division, league change the fine people of Chillicothe have been the beneficaries of a team and program that they can be proud of; however, they have become condenscending, arrogant, and unpleasant. Your recent attacks of me prove my point. How about this, how about being grateful that good fortune have fell upon Chillicothe basketball, how about being humble in expressing that good fortune, how about being contrite for those individuals who can't, and how about being supportive of those around you that have not been blessed? I guess I might be asking too much. And yes, I am done with this, I do have better things to do than occupy my time than teaching humility to the grossly arrogant and myopic. Good day, sir or madame.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Look, I am not going to continue this. However, only to say, I have never disparage the Chillicothe athletic programs. I have on ocassion taken jabs at Chillicothe posters, especially those who have claimed to have superior intellect and vastly more logical reasoning when espousing the greatness of Chillicothe. Their arrogance drips from their chin much like a Pavlovian dog. What you may be not aware of, I have been a follower of high school basketball for more than two decades and I remember what it was like for Chillicothe in the 80's, 90's and the earlier part of this decade. What I don't remember is this passion, this interest, and unwavering support then. Remember the days when Chillicothe was DI, playing in the OCC, and there would be 50 people in the home stands on any given night? I do. But now, due to a recent division, league change the fine people of Chillicothe have been the beneficaries of a team and program that they can be proud of; however, they have become condenscending, arrogant, and unpleasant. Your recent attacks of me prove my point. How about this, how about being grateful that good fortune have fell upon Chillicothe basketball, how about being humble in expressing that good fortune, how about being contrite for those individuals who can't, and how about being supportive of those around you that have not been blessed? I guess I might be asking too much. And yes, I am done with this, I do have better things to do than occupy my time than teaching humility to the grossly arrogant and myopic. Good day, sir or madame.
Do not let the hit hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

catsandbucks
Riding the Bench

Post by catsandbucks »

Well now that Hawkeye is done posting thesaurus.com will get a rest. hahaha

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

catsandbucks wrote:Well now that Hawkeye is done posting thesaurus.com will get a rest. hahaha
:aaaaa8 LMAO :aaaaa8

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

Hawkeyepierce= Haterrrrrrrrr

Your jealousy oozes from your pore's sir.

Let me lay out some FACTS for you Hawk
1.) you are the biggest HATER on Chillicothe sports I and anyone else has ever heard.
2.) There was a time when there were not many people in the stands. There was also a time in the early 90's (DI) when the Hat was packed and Joe-B was running and winning in a fine program.
3.) Vinton County plays nobody and beats nobody.So please stop defending the program as if you are some sorta sleeping giant that doenst get a chance.You play a cupcake schedule!....FACT!
4.) Patriot, Steelers, Lakers, Yankees fans are some of the most arrogant fans around...know why? Becasue they winnnn. Something Chillicothe has learned to do in the past 8 years (gettin back to the history of chilli ball).

I speak for most Chilli fans when I say "Keep your negativity to yourself".

Go CAVS!

Return to “Boys Basketball”