Division 2 Southeastern Sectional

petesweaty
All Conference

Re: Division 2 Southeastern Sectional

Post by petesweaty »

Zane Trace is 11-4 and really only has a chance to lose two games before the records have to be in. They travel to Johnstown-Monroe on Tuesday and then play at New Hope Christian the following Tuesday. They should win their league games before the seeds come out. ZT plays at Piketon and at Unioto after the seeding.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:58 am
ovcfan12 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:29 am Thanks for the update. Question now is does unioto try to get the 1 seed over Fairland (assuming they both win out until the draw.) Fairland deserves the 1 but you never know what will happen. It will be Interesting.
Well they probably will but Gallia will maybe be doing the same with just 1 loss. Unioto will likely have some that would vote them 1 if they wanted a certain seeding as well IMO no one in the sectional can beat Fairland and no one else can beat Unioto....so to me coaches will be doing some major jockeying for sure. The FAC coaches have the affiliation but also a new league and maybe not too tight.

If Fairland is #2 that messes up the jockeying in the other sectional as well. Fairland needs to be the 1 and for advancement deep into the tourney....it helps this sectional to know where Fairland is as they are THE team to avoid. Gallia for example may go 20-2 and be locked into that 3 seed....that 3 seed runs into Fairland in the district finals....the 2,4,5 seeds do not hit Fairland before the regionals.

Fairland’s losses have been out of district and state. For example when they played 13-1 Gallia...they led them 37-12 I believe after the first quarter. Whole another level for sure. Unioto I believe would beat Gallia by double digits. Unioto vs Fairland would be fun but believe Fairland wins by double digits.
Who is Jacksons top rebounder and scorer?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:39 pm
ovcfan12 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:29 am Thanks for the update. Question now is does unioto try to get the 1 seed over Fairland (assuming they both win out until the draw.) Fairland deserves the 1 but you never know what will happen. It will be Interesting.
Well they probably will but Gallia will maybe be doing the same with just 1 loss. Unioto will likely have some that would vote them 1 if they wanted a certain seeding as well IMO no one in the sectional can beat Fairland and no one else can beat Unioto....so to me coaches will be doing some major jockeying for sure. The FAC coaches have the affiliation but also a new league and maybe not too tight.

If Fairland is #2 that messes up the jockeying in the other sectional as well. Fairland needs to be the 1 and for advancement deep into the tourney....it helps this sectional to know where Fairland is as they are THE team to avoid. Gallia for example may go 20-2 and be locked into that 3 seed....that 3 seed runs into Fairland in the district finals....the 2,4,5 seeds do not hit Fairland before the regionals.

Fairland’s losses have been out of district and state. For example when they played 13-1 Gallia...they led them 37-12 I believe after the first quarter. Whole another level for sure. Unioto I believe would beat Gallia by double digits. Unioto vs Fairland would be fun but believe Fairland wins by double digits.
Ed Spriggs

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I would not be so quick to say how Unioto would handle Gallia Academy. And Gallia Academy gets another crack at fairland before the draw. But i dont know know if the result would be much different. But this blue Devil team is really moving forward as we move into the new year. With everyone getting there shots down. And defensively this team beginning to give you a better look.

My biggest thing. And this is a question to the blue devils coaching staff sort of. You have played fairland 3 times last 2 years with same game plan. Do you switch up your game plan for this home game for a chance to share the league title. Or do you attack the game much the same and hold that other game plan until a third meeting in the tournament.

Not saying the Blue devils are a juggernaut yet. But i think if they dont make it into the regional that it will be fairland that gets them. There are other pretty good teams out there but i am not sire we know how good the blue devils are or are not.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

svac83 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:58 pm I would not be so quick to say how Unioto would handle Gallia Academy. And Gallia Academy gets another crack at fairland before the draw. But i dont know know if the result would be much different. But this blue Devil team is really moving forward as we move into the new year. With everyone getting there shots down. And defensively this team beginning to give you a better look.

My biggest thing. And this is a question to the blue devils coaching staff sort of. You have played fairland 3 times last 2 years with same game plan. Do you switch up your game plan for this home game for a chance to share the league title. Or do you attack the game much the same and hold that other game plan until a third meeting in the tournament.

Not saying the Blue devils are a juggernaut yet. But i think if they dont make it into the regional that it will be fairland that gets them. There are other pretty good teams out there but i am not sire we know how good the blue devils are or are not.
I just think Unioto is built similar to Fairland with tremendously quick and excellent guard play....they do t have a Van Horn but aren’t small and are so athletic (basketball athletic)...I think they would cause Gallia problems. Gallia no doubt though is continuing to improve are also a very unique matchup for everyone

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Gallia Academy has played one of the worst schedules in the state and got absolutely embarrassed by the best team they played. Wasn't Peck a big part of their win over Jackson too?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

HamPorter wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:14 pm Gallia Academy has played one of the worst schedules in the state and got absolutely embarrassed by the best team they played. Wasn't Peck a big part of their win over Jackson too?
Yes, Peck was always a matchup issue for Jackson. He had excellent games against the Ironmen the last two years.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Since Athens will probably be the 5 seed. Unioto is better than Fairland

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:39 pm

Ed Spriggs
You pulling my leg Ironman. Pulled up a MaxPreps Roster and don't see that name. I thought Spohn and Donaldson are the ones you seem to Mention. With Spohn being the best player?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:18 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:39 pm Who is Jacksons top rebounder and scorer?
Ed Spriggs
You pulling my leg Ironman. Pulled up a MaxPreps Roster and don't see that name. I thought Spohn and Donaldson are the ones you seem to Mention. With Spohn being the best player?
Ed Spriggs is absolutely the Jackson leader in points and rebounds...likely blocks too.

I agree Carson Spohn is Jackson’s best player. Cooper is excellent as well.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:22 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:18 pm

Ed Spriggs
Ed Spriggs is absolutely the Jackson leader in points and rebounds...likely blocks too.

I Googled the name Ed Spriggs. Now there is a fascinating story. Never played Varsity basketball in HS. Enrolls in Georgetown a few years later after working a postal job. Makes the basketball team plays with Patrick Ewing and even makes the
NBA.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:43 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:18 pm You pulling my leg Ironman. Pulled up a MaxPreps Roster and don't see that name. I thought Spohn and Donaldson are the ones you seem to Mention. With Spohn being the best player?

I Googled the name Ed Spriggs. Now there is a fascinating story. Never played Varsity basketball in HS. Enrolls in Georgetown a few years later after working a postal job. Makes the basketball team plays with Patrick Ewing and even makes the
NBA.
http://hurricanesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4659

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:35 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:43 pm

NBA.
http://hurricanesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4659
Wow!!!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think my post was misunderstood. I don't think the blue devils are the 1 or 2 seed. I am who posted a couple of weeks ago who questioned should they even be 3,4, or 5. I would have no problem if you seeded Waverly, zane trace, or even Jackson in front of them because strength of schedule. What i questioned was the comment of unioto being a easy double digit win over blue devils. I am not even saying unioto might not beat them by 20. I just dont think you should be so quick to judge this team especially if you have not saw them play in the last 2 weeks.

And i will not try to say schedule has been tough, but i also dont think anyone knew when schedule was made that Athens and meigs and even Washington court house would of been this bad. But they are destroying bad teams the way they should. Just dont judge this team to much up on that fairland game. People said Gallia academy put to much on that game. I really thought just about the opposite abut that. They went down there really lose and just said let's go toe to toe with them and see where we stack up. Not saying they did not try to win. But if you were putting everything into it you would of called some times out during that first quarter. you would of slowed the pace some. None of that happened. Blue devils have easily handled some teams that played fairland fairly competitive.

Blue devils may play one tourney game and be done who knows. But they are playing much better then before the Christmas break. They are looking like the team i thought they could be this year and are much more basketball athletic without Peck. We will see in a couple of weeks

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

svac83 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:39 pm I think my post was misunderstood. I don't think the blue devils are the 1 or 2 seed. I am who posted a couple of weeks ago who questioned should they even be 3,4, or 5. I would have no problem if you seeded Waverly, zane trace, or even Jackson in front of them because strength of schedule. What i questioned was the comment of unioto being a easy double digit win over blue devils. I am not even saying unioto might not beat them by 20. I just dont think you should be so quick to judge this team especially if you have not saw them play in the last 2 weeks.

And i will not try to say schedule has been tough, but i also dont think anyone knew when schedule was made that Athens and meigs and even Washington court house would of been this bad. But they are destroying bad teams the way they should. Just dont judge this team to much up on that fairland game. People said Gallia academy put to much on that game. I really thought just about the opposite abut that. They went down there really lose and just said let's go toe to toe with them and see where we stack up. Not saying they did not try to win. But if you were putting everything into it you would of called some times out during that first quarter. you would of slowed the pace some. None of that happened. Blue devils have easily handled some teams that played fairland fairly competitive.

Blue devils may play one tourney game and be done who knows. But they are playing much better then before the Christmas break. They are looking like the team i thought they could be this year and are much more basketball athletic without Peck. We will see in a couple of weeks
I think Gallia is clearly more deserving than Waverly, Jackson or ZT. Gallia has been impressive except for Fairland and no one around has looked good against them.

Me saying Unioto is 10 points better is not meant to be something that slams Gallia or their schedule but instead Unioto is excellent and their speed and athleticism I believe would cause Gallia fits for parts of the game. Just like pfloyd I think Gallia is a top 7 team in the district. If it makes you feel better I would take Unioto to beat Oak Hill.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I don’t know enough about the other teams to have an opinion on who would beat who. And don’t worry Ironman no offense taken.

A couple of oak hill games are the only non Gallia Academy games I have seen this year.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Gallia Academy is solid, but will need a good matchup to show what they've got. Last year exposed them a bit against a faster team and it seems like they are more athletic this year, so it may not be that big of a deal if they don't get an ideal matchup.

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

Gallia Academy is a much better team than they were they beat a good Portsmouth team by 26 points and was up 30 and put in the end of the bench. People may not know this but Gallia Academy scrimmaged Zane Trace earlier this year and Gallia Academy beat them every quarter and they played about 8 Quarters. Gallia Academy has faced quick guards this year and has done well. People when they look at Gallia Academy forget about the X- Factor Loveday who can dominate a game at the defense end and as a team Gallia plays great defense.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

No one in the southeast beats Fairland.
I wish it wasn't so, but it is.
Go Blue Devils!

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Got to go with Gallia and Lovejoy as a favorite